TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

P. 70: Cedar Fair unveils 2022 operating season plans

28 minutes ago, Manic Monte said:

Agreed. Smart move to have a recovery year and up the infrastructure of each park.

Sea World and Six Flags have previous year coasters to open next year, otherwise I'd imagine they'd be doing much the same.

SeaWorld and Six Flags are also making money because they decided to actually open their parks this year while Cedar Fair is not.

For comparison- Q2 income:

SeaWorld: +$82 million dollars

Six Flags: +$70 million dollars

Cedar Fair ... a $59 million dollar loss

Some things are not their fault. The membership program is just inherently more pandemic-proof than the Season Pass model but nobody could have really predicted this. Also, Canada's Wonderland's inability to open wasn't their fault. That said, those two companies are in much different positions than Cedar Fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

SeaWorld and Six Flags are also making money because they decided to actually open their parks this year while Cedar Fair is not.

For comparison- Q2 income:

SeaWorld: +$82 million dollars

Six Flags: +$70 million dollars

Cedar Fair ... a $59 million dollar loss

Some things are not their fault. The membership program is just inherently more pandemic-proof than the Season Pass model but nobody could have really predicted this. Also, Canada's Wonderland's inability to open wasn't their fault. That said, those two companies are in much different positions than Cedar Fair.

Great points!

10 hours ago, jedimaster1227 said:

(Snip)

In the fall, parks will offer Halloween-themed special events that are sure to delight adults and kids alike. Six parks will host Tricks & Treats events, with two others hosting Family Halloween.

(Snip)

Am I the only one concerned about the wording of this?  No mention of Haunt/Halloweekends anywhere in that press release, just Tricks & Treats and "Family Halloween," whatever that is.

Otherwise, nothing surprising.  As much as it pains me to admit it, much preferring CF parks to other chains, Bill is right - they have absolutely bungled their entire post-pandemic re-opening.  Short hours, shorter calendars, a whole lot of food stands and rides not running early in the season*....I get it, there's staffing issues everywhere....but it screams "trying to make up for increased salaries and the fact that we gave passholders a whole year for free, including all of their add-ons."

I'll probably renew my Platinum Pass for next year, but I'll probably not splurge for the all-season Fast Lane add on until I can see some calendars for next year.

*That said, everything appeared to be operating at KI today...the last Friday they're open until Haunt...maybe, since they haven't posted a calendar for September/October like other parks have.