TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

Glad to see Cedar Fair enter the 21st century...not sure why Dick Kinzel and Co. couldn't figure out the rest of the industry was making millions of dollars from simple things like express passes, valet, and other up charge items...

I wonder how long it will be before the rest of the "good old boys" are forced to retire?

Edited by Jew

I'm opposed to their fastlane system,it didn't work for SFI (in particular SFA) & it's not gonna go over well at KD either.

SFA would be the exception then. Flash Pass has been extremely successful for Six Flags. Visiting KI shortly after they implemented it showed it worked well for them too.

I'm opposed to their fastlane system,it didn't work for SFI (in particular SFA) & it's not gonna go over well at KD either.

SFA would be the exception then. Flash Pass has been extremely successful for Six Flags. Visiting KI shortly after they implemented it showed it worked well for them too.

SFA did a terrible job of implementing the system at least back in the early part of the decade...on the last year I was a passholder there they had a horrible policy on ROS for instance of reserving one whole train for flaspass users only & if nobody showed up they disptached it empty.

KD tried & failed back in 01 to add a similar type of line cutting system on select rides like volcano & hypersonic & had to cancel it shortly after starting it due in large part to fights breaking out in the queus for those particular rides.I don't see how it's gonna be any better if they try it again this time around.

On my website, I made an article about neglected Cedar Fair parks if anyone is interested in checking out:

http://screaminsider.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=318&f=32

Very well done!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I really put an in-depth analysis of all the parks so that my rankings are not biast.

Please show when you see two hour waits at SFDK, when CGA is a "ghost town", and again:

biast.

Really?

Very well done!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I really put an in-depth analysis of all the parks so that my rankings are not biast.

Please show when you see two hour waits at SFDK, when CGA is a "ghost town", and again:

biast.

Really?

First of all, I went to CGA on a Saturday & SFDK on a Sunday and I found those waits.

By being biast, I would've listed CGA as #1 for one of the reasons just because it is my home park and I'm waiting for a new ride, blah blah, but I didn't do that. I gave actual reasons.

...Please show when you see two hour waits at SFDK, when CGA is a "ghost town", and again:...

Oh, believe me, I find that no surprise. I've visited each park on consecutive weekdays with no discernible reasons for crowd differences, and found many short wait times at CGA in contrast to many moderate wait times at SFDK.

Anyway...

I don't know if I've ever had a good CF burger.

Not counting catered meals (which I enjoy much more often than not), I'm certain I haven't either. Don't the Cedar Point ones come in foil bags (kind of like store-bought microwaveable burgers)? That was at least a litle off-putting (and of course, the burger within was inexcusably bland). Oh, and I think I noticed a lack of condiments at CP, too.

I would love to see these "Fresh, Never Frozen Burgers" roll out to all the parks. I don't know if I've ever had a good CF burger.

These fresh, made-from-scratch burgers can be found at Canada's Wonderland as well in Coasters. They're fantastic! I had them twice during the 2011 season and enjoyed them both times. The entire meal (burger, fries & drink) was a bit expensive around 17 dollars (if I remember correctly) but the taste was a HUGE improvement over the previous burger options.

• 2 weeks later...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cedar-Fair-Names-Kelley-prnews-3444913573.html?x=0

Cedar Fair Names Kelley Semmelroth Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer

SANDUSKY, Ohio, Feb. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Cedar Fair (NYSE: FUN - News), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and active entertainment, today announced Kelley Semmelroth as the Company's executive vice president and chief marketing officer – a newly created executive role.

"To ensure our marketing communications deliver breakthrough growth and our brands are elevated to compete in this ever-changing marketplace, we are adding additional marketing talent to our executive team," said Matt Ouimet, Cedar Fair's president and chief executive officer. "Along with a strong passion for the tourism industry, Kelley has a deep background in customer relationship management, brand management, advertising and strategic planning. Her experience, combined with our strong, park-based marketing teams, gives us the talent we need to continue to grow our business and deliver the 'best-day-of-the-year experience' to our guests."

Semmelroth comes most recently from TD Bank where she served as the Senior Vice President of Marketing and previously, Bank of America and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts where she also held executive marketing positions.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cedar-Fair-Names-Kelley-prnews-3444913573.html?x=0

Cedar Fair Names Kelley Semmelroth Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer

SANDUSKY, Ohio, Feb. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Cedar Fair (NYSE: FUN - News), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and active entertainment, today announced Kelley Semmelroth as the Company's executive vice president and chief marketing officer – a newly created executive role.

"To ensure our marketing communications deliver breakthrough growth and our brands are elevated to compete in this ever-changing marketplace, we are adding additional marketing talent to our executive team," said Matt Ouimet, Cedar Fair's president and chief executive officer. "Along with a strong passion for the tourism industry, Kelley has a deep background in customer relationship management, brand management, advertising and strategic planning. Her experience, combined with our strong, park-based marketing teams, gives us the talent we need to continue to grow our business and deliver the 'best-day-of-the-year experience' to our guests."

Semmelroth comes most recently from TD Bank where she served as the Senior Vice President of Marketing and previously, Bank of America and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts where she also held executive marketing positions.

Figures that Qummet would hire someone from Disney to be their new marketing director,still I hope she's able to do a good job as a good marketing strategy will really help the parks alot.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sandusky/news/cedar-point-ex-exec-falfas-wont-get-job-back

A judge has decided Jacob “Jack” Falfas, the former No. 2 executive at Cedar Fair, will not get his job back. Still, Erie County Common Pleas Court Judge Roger Binette awarded Cedar Fair’s former chief operating officer the remaining pay he’s entitled to under contract.

On Wednesday, Binette upheld much of a 2-1 ruling by three arbitrators who sided with Falfas on the issue of back pay. The arbitrators had also said Falfas should get his job back, but Binette disagreed.

The money owed to Falfas amounts to significantly more than $2 million, said Richard Panza, Falfas’ attorney in Avon. “I’m sure my client is pleased with the result,” Panza said.

Falfas — formerly the heir apparent to Cedar Fair’s recently retired CEO Dick Kinzel — abruptly parted ways with the amusement park company on June 10, 2010, after a brief but tense phone call with Kinzel. Testimony in an arbitration hearing revealed Kinzel believed Falfas had quit, while Falfas believed he had been fired.

Cedar Fair spokeswoman Stacy Frole said the company is happy it won’t be ordered to give Falfas his job back. “We are still digesting the ruling, but at an initial glance we are pleased the court confirmed that reinstatement was not an available remedy,” she said.

Frole had no comment when asked how much money Cedar Fair will have to pay Falfas under the ruling. “We’re not going to comment any further on employee matters,” she said.

Both sides said they haven’t had time to decide if they’ll file an appeal. Panza said he needs to study Binette’s decision, then discuss legal options with Falfas. “We need to digest the ruling and understand it before we can comment on that,” Frole said.

Falfas was earning more than $1 million a year in salary and bonuses before suddenly losing his job. When Cedar Fair contended Falfas had walked away from the job and wasn’t entitled to any more pay and benefits, Falfas went to arbitration, as his contract allowed. The three arbitrators voted 2-1 that Falfas had been fired without cause and they awarded him back pay. They also told Cedar Fair officials to give him his job back.

Cedar Fair then filed a lawsuit in Erie County Common Pleas Court to overturn the ruling, arguing that the arbitrators had exceeded their authority by ordering the amusement park giant to welcome Falfas back with open arms. Cedar Fair’s attorneys offered three arguments in criticizing the arbitrators.

In his eight-page ruling, Binette sided with Falfas on two of the arguments. He said it’s up to arbitrators — not the court — to interpret the contract, and he also decided that giving Falfas his job back would not violate public policy in the U.S. or in Ohio. Binette’s ruled noted, however, a section of the arbitration agreement says arbitrators are limited to what a state or federal court in Ohio would be able to award.

Case law says a court can’t reinstate a person to his old job to enforce a contract dispute, so in that regard, the arbitrators exceeded their authority, Binette’s ruling stated.

Panza said the ruling upholding Falfas’ back pay covers the remaining time on his contract, from June 10, 2010, to Nov. 30, 2012. Without offering a more specific number, Falfas said he believes the award will be “significantly more” than $2 million.

Since the dispute, Cedar Fair has moved on. Matt Ouimet has taken over as the new CEO, after Kinzel retired at the end of 2011.

Figures that Qummet would hire someone from Disney to be their new marketing director,still I hope she's able to do a good job as a good marketing strategy will really help the parks alot.

Why not? Disney attracts some of the best talent in the world so why not pull from that pool?

• 1 month later...

At the corner of M-50 and Onsted Hwy in Onsted, MI. They own most of the land on the southwest corner of that intersection as well as a bit on the northwest corner of it. There's 10 different parcels totaling 465.12 acres. It's still held under the name "Cedar Point of Michigan", and it was purchased in 1974. I have more info on the parcels including the exact layouts of each parcel if you're interested.