TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

To whoever made the argument about SFDL having a large market you made some good points. I would, however, just like to add that the state of New York was one of only nine stayes in the country to lose population between 2017 and 2018, according to the US Census Bureau. Meanwhile places like Texas, Florida, and the Carolinas just keep going up and up. I also see Six having trouble competing with Wonderland to steal an even larger portion of their market then they already have. Not saying it’s impossible, just not something that can be done when one park installs the largest dive coaster in the world and the other puts up a skyscreamer, in my opinion.

^ ah crap I can’t believe my one comment about thinking RoS was 20 this year caused such a crazy explosion of banter and argument. That was far from my intention.

Viper being a Western New York classic and being the oldest ride in the area, I’m not surprised they did a little celebration for the coaster. They had some cookies, some ice cream, a nice speech from Chris Thorpe and a wonderful op who’s been working Viper for quite some time. But that was really it for the actual celebration which for the record was in Late June.

To clarify, no, Mind Eraser did not have a celebration, and no, the ride sign was not painted to celebrate the anniversary. The Mind Eraser and Boomerang signs were both refreshed, and both looked very nice because of it. There was a souvenir cup and a mention of it in the laser show’s opening titles. No cupcakes there.

The old sign they used to have hanging under the bridge had a picture of the viper on it, the park map had viper on the front of it with a little logo on it, and the name tags all had the ride on it. I equated it to how Cedar Point gives their employees logos with the new coaster on them the year they open.

Looking at how the park operates now - they have a new ride, so that’s on the front page of the park map. They removed the sign under the bridge, so that’s why there’s no mention of it there. They use Six Flags souvenir cups which aren’t specific to the park anymore, so that’s why they don’t have a special cup. And lastly, they now have simply “Six Flags” name tags that have different colors that change based on what I would assume is age. Similar to Wegmans in which 15 year olds got Red name tags, 16-17 had yellow name tags and 18+ had either bronze or black name tags. It’s a quick reference for folks to know certain things related to age like what your hours could be, how late you could legally work, what machinery you could use, etc.

Though a post saying “on this day 20 years ago we opened New York’s tallest and fastest roller coaster” would be nice, I’m not expecting a big old party to be thrown or anything like that. Plus, for what it’s worth, there was no signage directly at Viper for the anniversary at all, so to expect some at RoS isn’t something I personally would do.

Does that clarify this mess? Hopefully? Maybe?

Anyone have cupcakes they wanna share with the class now that we’ve suffered through that?

And lastly, they now have simply “Six Flags” name tags that have different colors that change based on what I would assume is age. Similar to Wegmans in which 15 year olds got Red name tags, 16-17 had yellow name tags and 18+ had either bronze or black name tags. It’s a quick reference for folks to know certain things related to age like what your hours could be, how late you could legally work, what machinery you could use, etc.

They've been doing the age group color coded employee badges for a long time.

Yeah that looks awesome! I can't remember the last time Darien Lake got a ride with a lighting package being something worth talking about. A lot of the recent rides are just basic spot lighting.

Yeah that looks awesome! I can't remember the last time Darien Lake got a ride with a lighting package being something worth talking about. A lot of the recent rides are just basic spot lighting.

Tantrum didn’t even get basic spot lighting, that thing is totally left in the dark at night. Such a shame becuause Gerstlauer coasters can have some impressive lighting packages.

This was posted on the park’s Twitter, that lighting package looks AMAZING

The Six Flags SkyScreamer looks absolutely stunning! I can't wait to make another visit to Six Flags Darien Lake this season in order to ride it at night!

Tantrum was optioned as a spec-for-spec clone of Iron Shark on a pretty lean budget. Blastoff had a not insubstantial portion thrown into remodeling that area as a whole. It was supposed to be a done deal for Giant Wheel to get a new lighting package 10-ish years ago when they removed the lights on it but the company supplying it backed out. I'd guess then the funds went into PARC's appetite for digging a financial pit for themselves. I'd heard CNL (the actual property owner at the time) had approved them the money for repainting some of the coasters back then and PARC appropriated it elsewhere. Herschend probably might have been a good bet for sprucing up the place (Rowdy's and Blastoff were their handiwork), but they weren't going to splash around a lot of their funds when they didn't own the place and were trying to buy it.

Rolling Thunder

Tantrum was optioned as a spec-for-spec clone of Iron Shark on a pretty lean budget. Blastoff had a not insubstantial portion thrown into remodeling that area as a whole. It was supposed to be a done deal for Giant Wheel to get a new lighting package 10-ish years ago when they removed the lights on it but the company supplying it backed out. I'd guess then the funds went into PARC's appetite for digging a financial pit for themselves. I'd heard CNL (the actual property owner at the time) had approved them the money for repainting some of the coasters back then and PARC appropriated it elsewhere. Herschend probably might have been a good bet for sprucing up the place (Rowdy's and Blastoff were their handiwork), but they weren't going to splash around a lot of their funds when they didn't own the place and were trying to buy it.

PARC painted Boomerang and Viper. Cant remember if it was them or Herschend that started ME and ROS.

^ they were only by the SkyScreamer and yes they were playing music - but it was only an hour or so long playlist because as I’d walk over there I had to of heard the same song at least 3 times over the course of the half day I was there

^ I wouldn’t be surprised, but the weird thing about them was their placement. The opening ceremony bit happened in front of the ride, with refreshments and what not closer to Tin Lizzy’s. These speakers were off by the camping entrance and motocoaster. This would make me think at bare minimum they had another set up by the ride itself, or something like that, as those speakers wouldn’t have made for a great PA system with where they were