TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^^^^^ Johnny on the spot here. Those were posted less then 30 minutes ago. The ride is incredible, I really must say.

You know, I've been thinking this all winter but looking at the photographs from this angle really does it for me: I think Goliath is going to have possibly the best first drop around. Outlaw Run and New Texas Giant really surprised me with the way the first drop really got the thing going. It was like taking the fall from the top of the Dragster or Xcelerator but amplifying it and putting it in the form of a first drop. Outlaw Run's first drop was incredible because it gave that wooden roller coaster feel on top of this perfectly formed very steep tall drop.

As an aside, I think anyone who has ridden Outlaw Run agrees that it is a wooden roller coaster. It's the people who judge the ride from the technical specifications that seem to think it isn't. If a ride is defined by the experience had by the rider there is no doubt that Outlaw Run is a wooden roller coaster, as that's how it feels. Maybe it's not as rough as Hades 360 and feels a bit different than any GCI out there but for those who have ridden both it's very similar to El Toro by feeling.

Moving on, I feel that by knowing how much more intense the first drop on Goliath is going to be I think this ride was designed to pack as huge of a punch as possible, not give a very long ride. I think the first drop alone on here is going to be what I line up for each time and the rest of the ride will be bliss. I really enjoy a ride that gives me everything I want and I just enjoy the rest. Renegade at Valleyfair has a great first drop, two airtime hills separated by a turnout, and the rest is bliss to me. On Goliath the turnaround, airtime hill, dive loop, zero-g stall, and final turnaround are all going to be that bliss.

Looking deeper into the photographs look closely at the one that looks down on the overbanked turn and the final turn into the brake run. Look at how the track is slightly overbanked only by a few degrees but juts in and out. It reminds me of how GCI crams every drop of airtime out of each situation like on Goldstriker and how Schilke gave us so much air on the sideways camelback on Outlaw Run. I think these turnarounds are going to be the hidden gem of Goliath, giving us the most unique experience we weren't expecting.

I don't know if this ride will have these trains but I was just looking on the RMC website and thought this was pretty neat, it actually has a suspension system.

Plus it just looks really cool.

I have some photos hidden on my phone somewhere from the opening weekend of Hades 360. Timberliner trains have a similar suspension system as well.

I don't know if this ride will have these trains but I was just looking on the RMC website and thought this was pretty neat, it actually has a suspension system.
Outlaw run's trains have a similar suspension. It's the most visible when you are sitting in the front row on the brake run. You can see it on the back of the train in front of you. Makes for a really smooth ride!!

You know, I've been thinking this all winter but looking at the photographs from this angle really does it for me: I think Goliath is going to have possibly the best first drop around.

That would be nice, especially with Raging Bull only a short walk away. I've always kind of thought that if B&M had designed the course of Raging Bull to go right back to the station after that drop and the turnaround (only because it would be necessary), I'd still wait in line for it just the same.

Edited by Ed Farmer

Those pictures are perfect.

Secondly, so glad as well to have raging bull's drop and now Goliath's steep, uninterrupted drop! Good variety and both are incredible. Raging bull's drop with the dip first makes the drop so much faster amd more intense, with stronger ejector air than if that dip wasnt there. Ive been on diamondback and nitro many many times and those rides have great zero g floater hills that bull lacks but Bull's first drop is 1000 times better. Those rides dont seem to start until after the drop whereas with bull, it hits you roght away. Bull and El Toro are my two favorite first drops, and I prefer Bull over Millenium Force's pr New Texas Giant's drops! So excited now to have Goliath at great america!

Secondly, so glad as well to have raging bull's drop and now Goliath's steep, uninterrupted drop! Good variety and both are incredible. Raging bull's drop with the dip first makes the drop so much faster amd more intense, with stronger ejector air than if that dip wasnt there. Ive been on diamondback and nitro many many times and those rides have great zero g floater hills that bull lacks but Bull's first drop is 1000 times better. Those rides dont seem to start until after the drop whereas with bull, it hits you roght away. Bull and El Toro are my two favorite first drops, and I prefer Bull over Millenium Force's pr New Texas Giant's drops! So excited now to have Goliath at great america!

Hold on.., don't mean to sound stupid, but have you already ridden Goliath? You made some good points there, but if you haven't ridden it already it's a bit early to know exactly how good the drop will be.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I agree I think it will it prides good variety and probably will be good, but you can't say for sure until you ride it.

Hold on.., don't mean to sound stupid, but have you already ridden Goliath? You made some good points there, but if you haven't ridden it already it's a bit early to know exactly how good the drop will be.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I agree I think it will it prides good variety and probably will be good, but you can't say for sure until you ride it.

Having been on NTAG and El Toro i can imagine how it will be (and I know el toro was intamin... But steep on a mew woodie and yes I know el toro's train gains speed and isnt being held back by the last cars hanging down the lift.) given that itll be steeper and straighter than new texas giants drop I am guessing I will like it more, and it will (at worst) be in my top 4 and at best, surpass bull. I have not been on it, nor do I claim to. And my point still stands that it will be excellent to have a variety of drop types so close- one with bull's dip, and this one, without.

I will let you know how it ranks for sure next week though!

Those pictures highlighting the suspension system are quite captivating. I always thought PTC should do that with their product, utilizing the articulation units they already have and switching to the one-bench, trailored design with a zero-car. I digress, and needless to say Goliath appears to be a winner.

Catwalk lanterns, elevaed above the height of the railings on poles, they are aimed at the track/west/southwest so you can see them in the park but they do not create light pollution to the east. Because I drove past and ended up east of the park where they are invisible, there wasnt anything to show.

Plus it just looks really cool.

I have some photos hidden on my phone somewhere from the opening weekend of Hades 360. Timberliner trains have a similar suspension system as well.

Actually those are two completely different train suspensions and designs. The Timberliners were designed with a seat suspension only utilizing a bogey system that is tied together and turns with the curve of the track. RMC's trains uses a suspension system all around the wheels that keeps them in contact with the track at all times.

My partner and I have two small children 5 and 3. They are great for taking to Disney World, but not so much going to a coaster park. I have done ride switch at Cedar Point before, it isn't that bad if you have to do it, but it is a pain. I have June 19th and 20th in which we can go to a theme park without children. I was planning to go to SFGA to check out Goliath. Who could beat riding 2 new coasters in one year? We already went to Banshee opening day and got front row. However, I don't know how this Goliath opening is going to roll and it is a week out now. If I need to get a season pass for a preview day I'd totally buy it as they don't charge much at all for season passes. However, if we are not going to even get a chance to ride Goliath, I'd rather re-plan for Cedar Point as when I went to Cedar Point last year on the first Tuesday it was open Gatekeeper was closed due to high winds. I still need to get on it. My current plan for CP was to try to go in the fall. Perhaps I should switch with Great America and do that in the fall? My rule for going to a theme park at this point is the park needs to have something I haven't been on yet. I don't get much time, so I have to be picky!

What do you guys think? Should I hold on a few more days?

My partner and I have two small children 5 and 3. They are great for taking to Disney World, but not so much going to a coaster park. I have done ride switch at Cedar Point before, it isn't that bad if you have to do it, but it is a pain. I have June 19th and 20th in which we can go to a theme park without children. I was planning to go to SFGA to check out Goliath. Who could beat riding 2 new coasters in one year? We already went to Banshee opening day and got front row. However, I don't know how this Goliath opening is going to roll and it is a week out now. If I need to get a season pass for a preview day I'd totally buy it as they don't charge much at all for season passes. However, if we are not going to even get a chance to ride Goliath, I'd rather re-plan for Cedar Point as when I went to Cedar Point last year on the first Tuesday it was open Gatekeeper was closed due to high winds. I still need to get on it. My current plan for CP was to try to go in the fall. Perhaps I should switch with Great America and do that in the fall? My rule for going to a theme park at this point is the park needs to have something I haven't been on yet. I don't get much time, so I have to be picky!

What do you guys think? Should I hold on a few more days?

Hello Kristen,

I would love to say for sure that Goliath will be open by then, but the park hasn't officially said anything as of late except "it will be opening very soon". Media day is on track for next Wednesday so I would assume the ride will open as soon as next Thursday (19th) or Friday (20th). The park will hopefully announce an official opening date sometime in the next couple days. The ride is testing every day now and human riders are already riding it. It's just about ready for the public to ride so I don't see why it wouldn't open next Thursday or Friday. Also, the season pass preview looks like a no go since their top priority is to just open the ride to everyone as soon as possible because of all the delays so I wouldn't worry about getting a pass unless you plan on visiting another Six Flags park again later this year. Just keeping checking here for more updates.

Thanks for responding. Yeah I know no one can tell me a date yet, but I was hoping to see what people who are around there thought. I have never been on a RMC. So I am wanting to experience it. I don't want to go to the park and watch the ride being tested more and miss out. I did plenty of that at Disney World in May with Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. However, I had to be in Florida for a wedding then, so that is how the timing worked. I had an awesome time though... best time ever really.