TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Wow. American Eagle had over 4,000 pph when it was new (so 2,000 per track per hour). We did 1,250 an hour on the Cedar Point Blue Streak (pre changes). Times have changed.

I know I know... I'm not complaining. It's just such a stark difference. But we have MANY coasters at the park now, so it works out

Show of hands: who is planning to visit the park on a weekday, in the hopes of shorter Goliath lines? (Particularly now that we know the capacity per hour.) I'm planning to use a vacation day from work so I can visit the park on a Tues or Wed.

800 an hour as *actual* capacity sounds about right for the number of trains the ride has in comparison to theoretical capacity. Some seats will go empty and they'll probably go the increasingly common (and crappy) Gwazi-ish route of seat belt checks followed by lap bar checks. Just arrive early. What other choice are you gonna have, you know?

^Sure. However, the number of trains isn't the only thing that matters. For example: the batman clones (which have only to) probably have a real capacity similar to those on other inverts with three trains because, unless the dispatch times are tiny, there will always be one train ready to enter the station as that one is dispatched.

Given the duration of goliath's ride (and assuming the lift will have some reasonable speed), I guess this is what will happen so what will have an effect on capacity is the size of the train and the dispatch times.

Show of hands: who is planning to visit the park on a weekday

I almost always go on weekdays! Usually I go in the early evening; the crowds drop and so does the sun! But at this point in the season, I'd bet Goliath is gonna have long lines no matter what. Schools out now. Weekdays in May/early June are the usual ERT days, but that's over for this year.

Even with the crazy summer crowds, the park always dies down a LOT during the last hour of operation. But... Goliath will probably still be rockin' late at night this year. Plenty of folks are foaming at the mouth for this one.

According to Katy Enrique (as reported by Iron Wolf 90-11 over at SFGAm World), the Pictorium is closed due to low attendance and will reopen for Fright Fest. I know the Pictorium has popped up here and there each year as a possibility of being the next ride to close for a new attraction. The equipment inside is not good, though it could be upgraded without putting a dent in the park's wallet, but I think the majority of people just don't find it that interesting anymore.

The outside and inside are dated and while I enjoyed Screams and Dreams (as most of us here did), I don't know what else they could put in it to bring in more guests. I think the best thing for the park to do is remove it and add a family attraction of some sort. I know Hank Salemi wants a dark ride, and this could very well be a good spot.

Pardon my horrid PhotoShop skills, but as you can see, it's a decent sized lot of land for a flat ride or dark ride of some sort in comparison to the size of Ragin' Cajun's space.

1517161701_ScreenShot2014-06-13at12_45_23PM.thumb.jpg.f1aaf83eac95d042bcca63834d2d62cf.jpg

Or if they work around the service path beside HH's entry path, they have even more room...

1543076497_ScreenShot2014-06-13at1_24_56PM.jpg.e2d2c229071921895e82946d19398380.jpg

Edited by GoBears

I spotted it testing last night after 9:30! Only 5 days away for most of us here, and some lucky people will get to ride it tomorrow for the commercial shoot!!

As for pictorium, I love it dearly, but i bet the electrical bill for the A/C is a bit of a pain. They could put a scooby doo haunted mansion dark ride in Its place, and take great advantage of that location and queue as it winds up the hill and is framed by mature trees!

The Pictoriums at both Great Americas have run their course, time to remove them and use that space for something new and exciting.

Which park will remove theirs first?

Six Flags Great America. I'm basing this on the fact that CGA is still not stable with their finances yet and removing an asset on their property for future development doesn't seem like a smart move at the moment, especially given that they just purchased Goldstriker a year ago.

I could definitely see Great America removing the Pictorium. The last time I saw a show (Screams & Dreams 3 - early May 2014), There were about twenty people at the show. The expenses of running the projector, AC, and other costs such as hiring the employees that run the show and clean the place afterwards, just don't seem worth it. They would pull many more visitors in with a new ride, in turn making more money for the park instead of wasting it.

I could definitely see Great America removing the Pictorium. The last time I saw a show (Screams & Dreams 3 - early May 2014), There were about twenty people at the show. The expenses of running the projector, AC, and other costs such as hiring the employees that run the show and clean the place afterwards, just don't seem worth it. They would pull many more visitors in with a new ride, in turn making more money for the park instead of wasting it.

Alright, so we're all in agreement. Someone get Hank on the phone. The Pictorium Planning Commission has made its decision.

The Pictoriums at both Great Americas have run their course, time to remove them and use that space for something new and exciting.

Six Flags Great America. I'm basing this on the fact that CGA is still not stable with their finances yet and removing an asset on their property for future development doesn't seem like a smart move at the moment, especially given that they just purchased Goldstriker a year ago.

There was never an issue with the parks finances, it was an issue of the old Cedar Fair management neglecting it because they thought they were going to sell the property and demolish it so the stadium could be built. Financially, they were fine.

Well when the right project comes along, whatever that may be, then it's going. It doesn't do the park much good right now except to serve as storage and a maze location. A new attraction could serve the park and it's guests so much better there.... at both parks.

There was never an issue with the parks finances, it was an issue of the old Cedar Fair management neglecting it because they thought they were going to sell the property and demolish it so the stadium could be built. Financially, they were fine.

After researching it a bit I appear to have my facts incorrect. This also reintroduces one of the major questions I have about the park, which the debt issue was a long excuse for: Why does the place so dang crappy and ran down for a major California theme park? I know a lot of parks could use some TLC but this one is one of the worst offenders for what I feel like should be a well maintained park. Going to Discovery Kingdom is like night and day compared to CGA.

After researching it a bit I appear to have my facts incorrect. This also reintroduces one of the major questions I have about the park, which the debt issue was a long excuse for: Why does the place so dang crappy and ran down for a major California theme park?

Off topic, but I second this, seeing as CGA is right in the middle of one of the wealthiest counties in the country.

I honestly don't see them removing Pictorium. They use it during Fright Fest and if they actually have something to show that he GP would enjoy that is shown using a decent projector, then things would be different. The park is lacking theaters as it is, and I don't think they can afford to lose another one.

I've been told there has been discussion concerning the old Theatre Royale and possibly converting it back to it's former glory from TDK queue. The Dark Knight queue would then be moved outside. If that were to become a reality, the park could easily move Susan Rosen into Theatre Royale. So, I would honestly not completely rule it out as an option of removing Pictorium.

I don't mean to ask the same question as everyone. I keep hearing the same thing over and over saying goliath I suppose to open June 15. is this true or just a rumor?

I honestly don't think that is going to happen. The media date is after that day, and with a normal schedule, the media day occurs before the opening day. Until the park releases an official opening day, I wouldn't trust any of the speculation.