TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

This is just fantastic. I really think Batman may have been the last ride with this sort of buzz, but it's hard to really gauge as social media/forums like this really add to the excitement.

I can't wait to see how much of the ride you'll be able to see....as I mentioned pages ago, it's location in the back of the park is fascinating to me, as so many of the recent additions have been up front (or, with XFlight, right on the midway). In a way it's almost too bad that the incredible lift/drop won't be right in your face on the tollway. For that matter, it'd be pretty sweet to have been able to stash the water park back in this corner of the park and simply expand SW Territory to include rides like this.

In any case, no building has gotten paid back on it's investment more than the Z-Force/Iron Wolf station! No way anyone back in the day would have guessed the life of that tall station would still be going in 2013 (through THREE different rides)!

In any case, no building has gotten paid back on it's investment more than the Z-Force/Iron Wolf station! No way anyone back in the day would have guessed the life of that tall station would still be going in 2013 (through THREE different rides)!

The stations of Intamin Space Divers never die, they only grow stronger!

Ze Force is strong with this one...

Hah, yah!

For the kiddies out there that only know a world where that station stands there....here's a neat picture from greatmericaparks.com. To make room for Z-Force (the coaster that was there before Iron Wolf), they had to literally relocate the train station down the line a bit (toward Washington), relocate Whirlygig (though it moved a few more times after this move).......

FYI - TPR WILL have a tour to SFGAm next year!

Yup.

2014 I take a midwest trip...I have no excuse to hold off on all the great parks/coasters out there.

And this one is deff on the list!

We wondered what RMC would do next to push the limit, those crazy bastards

2014 Texas/Midwest TPR Tour Part II! Enjoy all FOUR USA RMC creations! Lol hey doesnt sound like a bad idea lol! And you could even drop on down to Mexico again to pick up all five North American RMC coasters! Lol just a thought...

Great to see Goliath coming to the park next year. I was pretty surprised with it after getting X-Flight in 2012, but this is already proving to be a great addition to the park. Everyone I know who has seen the pictures or video is amazed, and the world records are great for marketing purposes.

I don't understand any complaints that the ride already has, Goliath is perfect for the park and the area that it's in. I'm honestly surprised at how massive it is and how they were able to fit a great layout in that space. It also will fill a void that has been left untouched for a couple of years, and will definitely help liven up the area as a whole. Should be a pretty busy coming year at the park!

They were going to call it Gladiator, but decided that may be a little too gay

(I know that was bad, but too good to pass up.)

It really is a great logo! Didn't Colossus originally have gladiator-type dudes on the sides of the cars? Colossus would have been a great name too! Goliath works great for Great America, the next closest one is SFOG.

goliath.jpg.9ec8688ae370209f2cc7dce9a476ef98.jpg

I couldn't be happier with this announcement. I've long said that SFGAm is the best part without any destination coasters, but now they are finally getting one. It's a great park all around and now they have that extra special something that will draw people in. Outlaw Run was phenomenal this year and I can't wait to ride Goliath. RMC is a force to be reckoned with at this point.

Didn't Colossus originally have gladiator-type dudes on the sides of the cars?

Yes, it did.. ; )

UPDATE:

I found the renderings for Colossus' original rolling stock from renowned theme park artist & designer Robin Hall (Magic Mountain's Art Director from 1972 - 1978).

colossus_original_iad_trains_with_side_graphics.thumb.jpg.9944ade9462934e5724243f4ef84a1bb.jpg

Photo Credit: J. Waldrop ("Roller Coaster Fever")

Colossus original I.A.D. Trains with Art Director Robin Hall's "God of Lighting" side panel graphics

sfmm_colossus_iad_train_rendering_1.png.ea8358310b427917cc0df3ad81ce9420.png

Photo Credit: Robin Hall

SFMM Colossus I.A.D. "Thunder" Train Rendering

sfmm_colossus_iad_train_rendering_3.png.c5c899faf2740f25c42ac87b395e2fb7.png

SFMM Colossus I.A.D. "Thunder" Train (Front) Rendering

sfmm_colossus_iad_train_rendering_2.png.8391d0ea96d7a70582709f76031e3d21.png

SFMM Colossus I.A.D. "Lightning" Train Rendering

sfmm_colossus_iad_train_rendering_4.png.8fa2c4dcc836a067ddf6b295fbaf0843.png

SFMM Colossus I.A.D. "Lightning" Train (Front) Rendering

Edited by kongker

I'm sure it was mostly a financial decision to reuse the station, but I'd like to think there was some sense of history from the folks at the park. Personally, I'm thrilled. That's the station where it took all day for my thirteen year old ass to gather enough balls to ride Z-Force, got in line at about 9:58pm. That f-ed up looking structure, all lit up at night...what a visual.

It's also where I bookended Iron Wolf (first day it opened and last day of operation), front row, last public train out. I'm looking forward to a third set of memories with Goliath. The park (and also the chain as a whole) knocked this one out of the park.

I'm a 76er, and a usual SP since I could drive. I had been pretty down on them in the Shapiro era, but I've been impressed with the turnaround of the operations of the park (opening at 10:30 notwithstanding, but c'mon...). They basically won back my patronage, and I'm kinda liking the jealousy from other parts of the country.

Can someone explain to me why the park would choose to build a new Topper Track coaster as opposed to using the I-Box technology? Is it simply a matter of the Topper Track being less expensive? I guess I don't understand the benefit(s) of Topper Track all that well... Won't it degrade and provide a rough experience over time, just like every other wooden coaster?

^ Topper track is basically a normal stack of wood that you would find on any other wooden coaster, except the top two layers (which are the running boards), are a steal beam. This steal beam is pumped full of a non-crack concrete grout, which basically ensures the track will not lose it's form or deteriorate over time like a traditional tracked wooden coaster. I believe topper track has been around for about 3-4 years now, and there is no evidence that the track has deteriorated on the coasters it's been installed on. The RMC trains are a another big component to this ride as well. They utilize a suspension system that keeps the wheels in contact with the running rails at all times, which allows for precise tracking. This keeps the train from bouncing around the track, like most standard wooden coaster trains do. On most normal wooden coasters, the train bouncing around the track is what causes the track to deteriorate.

RMC's whole goal is to create rides that ride like they do on opening day, twenty years from now. With all this technology, I say it's very unlikely that this coaster will become rough, but only time will tell.

^ Topper track is basically a normal stack of wood that you would find on any other wooden coaster, except the top two layers (which are the running boards), are a steal beam. This steal beam is pumped full of a non-crack concrete grout, which basically ensures the track will not lose it's form or deteriorate over time like a traditional tracked wooden coaster. I believe topper track has been around for about 3-4 years now, and there is no evidence that the track has deteriorated on the coasters it's been installed on. The RMC trains are a another big component to this ride as well. They utilize a suspension system that keeps the wheels in contact with the running rails at all times, which allows for precise tracking. This keeps the train from bouncing around the track, like most standard wooden coaster trains do. On most normal wooden coasters, the train bouncing around the track is what causes the track to deteriorate.

RMC's whole goal is to create rides that ride like they do on opening day, twenty years from now. With all this technology, I say it's very unlikely that this coaster will become rough, but only time will tell.

But with all of the things done to produce that smooth ride (including using polyurethane wheels), does topper track provide an appreciably different experience from a straight-up steel-railed ride? Is there any advantage to building a new ride with topper track as opposed to i-box (other than maybe aesthetics)? Or am I just overthinking this and it's simply "because the park wanted to build this ride"?

So if you count Goliath as being a wood coaster we now have 4 (American Eagle Blue/Red Viper Little Dipper) does that put the park in contention for the Kings island record of most wooden track length in one park?

Saying you have 4 by counting both sides of Eagle is pretty dumb, IMO.

Ask the majority of the guests walking through the gate and they'll count Eagle as 1.

SFGam will have three woodies. Suck it up and deal with it.

--Robb "Nothing wrong with saying you have three woodies in one park!" Alvey

So if you count Goliath as being a wood coaster we now have 4 (American Eagle Blue/Red Viper Little Dipper) does that put the park in contention for the Kings island record of most wooden track length in one park?

Ask the majority of the guests walking through the gate and they'll count Eagle as 1.

To me it comes down to the maintenance aspect. Even though the Eagle is really one roller coaster that is a LOT of track to maintain. We could argue all day about how many wooden roller coasters SFGA has but having that many linear feet of wooden roller coaster track is pretty awesome.

But with all of the things done to produce that smooth ride (including using polyurethane wheels), does topper track provide an appreciably different experience from a straight-up steel-railed ride? Is there any advantage to building a new ride with topper track as opposed to i-box (other than maybe aesthetics)? Or am I just overthinking this and it's simply "because the park wanted to build this ride"?

Since it's using polyurethane wheels, I don't think it's going to ride any different than any of the I-Box rides RMC has produced so far. More than likely, it's going to probably feel like you're riding a Intamin woodie. If you've ridden Outlaw Run (which uses steel wheels), you'll be able to tell the difference when you ride this coaster. Outlaw Run, rides smooth, but with an out of control feel. Goliath, will ride smooth, but will feel more controlled, like a steel coaster. The only real advantage topper track gives is that it becomes a wooden coaster when the park uses it. RMC has said that they can do the same elements with both tracks.

image.thumb.jpg.19fb007fddb994fa89dc7283a52fb18e.jpg

Taking the total wood track from KI minus the total SFGAM track there's a difference of...

Taking the total wood track from KI minus the total SFGAM track there's a difference of...

Ok so after a little math the truth is in the pudding. If SFGAM wanted to they could claim a fourth record.

image.thumb.jpg.3ce24c6d8dd8f9f44cc1b4dcf265e2ed.jpg

Six flags Great Americas total track length with Goliath.

image.thumb.jpg.916890b774b82150dc49f6ad283a8614.jpg

Kings Islands current track length minus SOB

image.thumb.jpg.a6a9bbd3c4e75d43b355e3d1168abb9b.jpg

Holiday Worlds total track length of there Woodies as reference for a park with comparable numbers.

image.thumb.jpg.499ade922aae1ad4688f51881bf3567f.jpg

^^^^^^^Looks like the media agrees with you Robb.

SFGAm will have 4 after Goliath opens if you count Eagle as 1 coaster. However, while I consider Eagle as one coaster when it comes to credit, the two sides are actually different in the second half so I would count two separate lengths. If you count Eagle and Racer's two sides as two separate lengths, SFGAm will have 16,558 feet of wooden coaster track and KI has 15,539. If you count Eagle and Racer as just one side, Kings Island has 12,124 feet of wooden track and SFGAm has 11,908 feet of wooden track after Goliath opens.

I don't think I've ever been so excited for a coaster to open like I am for Goliath. Mostly because it's at my home park and I've been wanting to ride an RMC since NTG opened but haven't had the money to go anywhere. The Beast is currently my favorite wooden coaster so I'll have to wait and see if this passes it up for the number 1 spot.