TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I count Eagle as 2, and Outlaw Run (and the new Goliath) as official "hybrid" wooden coasters. No one cares

To maintenance, operations, and a bunch of coaster nerds, Eagle is 2 coasters. To most everyone else, its one coaster. Just like Goliath will be a woodie to most people. Heck, some people who visit Cedar Point still consider Gemini to be a woodie. None of it really matters. American Eagle had steel I-beam track put in in the 90s for the out-run... but mostly still a woodie.

Except that calling a tubular steel tracked coaster like Gemini or a mine train a "woodie" isn't comparable to calling a RMC topper track coaster a "we don't know because the top layer of laminate is steel", it's comparable to calling the Coney Island Cyclone or the Great Escape Comet a "steel coaster" because the support structure is made out of steel instead of wood.

I think the only people who really make a big deal about the steel vs wood classification on these new coasters that use the traditional wood coaster construction laminate track bed are people who have a bias to one or the other. The wood coaster purists lean toward calling them wood coasters, the steel coaster lovers see the steel top layer and urethane wheels and call them steel coasters. The rest of us just enjoy them.

^I can definitely agree with that. I don't care, as long as the ride is good. But like most coaster nerds, I have an opinion too. I'm all for any combination of wood/steel. The I-beams on American Eagle were the first "steel on wood" tryout I know of. And good thing, it may have saved the ride. It was getting painfully awful near the end of it's "traditional wood track" phase.

Well i got my final ride on Ragin Cajun today before it moves to SFA, and i will not miss it. It had been a couple of years since i went on that ride, but after today, i don't want to ride it ever again. I felt like my stomach was going to explode. I will gladly take a sky screamer in that section of the park in 2015. Have fun with another crappy roller coaster that we didn't even like in the first place Six Flags America

As my (new) hometown park, I am excited to ride this coaster. I have not ridden a RMC-designed coaster, and am excited to see what the ride is like, especially given the insanity of Outlaw Run. That said, I can't honestly say that I was initially extremely thrilled with the design because I was hoping for a more air-time filled ride like El Toro at least a more substantial ride time. But, given the raves of Outlaw Run, maybe this one too will have such insane pacing and the new elements will feel as great as the elements on Outlaw Run, that the apparent lack of "traditional" airtime (other than first drop and the speed hill) will not be missed.

In any event, it is amazingly cool that SFGam is getting two substantial coasters in such a short period of time, and this will be a great addition to the park.

^ I'll bet this thing will have plenty of airtime. All of those wacky transitions on the overbank/top hat will provide for some interesting sensation. It will be also interesting to see how they fit this into the Yukon territory. And, sorry if this has already been answered, but sure they STILL using Z-Forces station?

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but I had imagined an element just like that zero g stall before. It's not the first time it happens to me but it's kind of cool to see this is actually being built.

As to the ride itself: looks great and if it turns out to be like the other RMC it should be awesome! Just looks a bit short, though.

That inverted drop looks like it's going to be amazing!!

Is that what they're calling it? Whatever it is, you're right - it will be amazing.

The inverted hill - 1/3rd loop thingy - that really made me look twice. Insanity... I look forward to the screams! RMC said a while back they would not do any vertical loops. But they have a half loop and a third loop! Very cool!

^ I'll bet this thing will have plenty of airtime. All of those wacky transitions on the overbank/top hat will provide for some interesting sensation.

Sure looks like it -- surprise air would be gravy on top.

I only hope it is a huge success and RMC take over American Eagle soon

RMC take over American Eagle soon

After building a custom RMC coaster at the park. I doubt they will do a take over of American Eagle. I could maybe see them do some work to it but I doubt we will see a RMC hybrid of American Eagle.

With the various mentions of Goliath reusing the Iron Wolf/Z-Force station to some degree, it got me to thinking, speaking of Z-Force, do you think that ride was already in the Marriott pipeline for Gurnee when Six Flags bought the park in '84?

The timeline between the park purchase by Six Flags in '84 and the opening of Z-Force in '85 was just over a year. Also, The Edge Intamin drop ride was specifically *not* placed in the same County Fair location as it's Edge counterpart in Santa Clara, possibly because Marriott was already planning on purposing that area for Z-Force instead. It has been documented that the Gurnee park was more successful, and received exclusive rides that the Santa Clara park did not, such as American Eagle, White Water Rampage/Roaring Rapids, various flat rides, etc.

1983 - Marriott placed The Edge in the Orleans Place section at Gurnee/County Fair section at Santa Clara

May 1984 - Marriott sold to Six Flags

July 1985 - Z Force opened in the County Fair section (same location as where The Edge in Santa Clara was located)

Just a theory/idea that popped in my head amongst all the new ride talk...

Rode American Eagle Backwards for the first time tonight during the extended ride time...

AWESOME.

One of the Blue Trains was a little rough but fast while the other was smoother and slower. The former would always win the race, though. Interesting how backwards Blue manages to win.

Hit all the spots. Front, middle, back, was a blast. During the last ride up the lift, I got to thinking...

Goliath will be 40 feet taller

Pumped for next year.

^Well, that first overbanked turn doesn't look very far from an inside top hat so I guess it would be possible. Having said that, top hats usually come after launches, but maybe RMC will be able to build one in the future!

^ I figured after my comment someone would mention the wooden launching option. IMO I'm not really fond of the idea. I mean, I guess it would be cool if done, but I just dont know. I picture more of a large first drop (even larger than Goliath) and a vertical drop and then go straight up into an inside top hat right after the drop. I think it would be astounding.

^ love it

If RMC did do a launch (the break run of Goliath would be a good place for one!), I think it wouldn't necessarily need to be a very intense one - just something to gain a little speed. If it was an intense launch, they might have to add headrests. Either way (intense or soft launch, headrests or not) it's gonna happen eventually.

RMC take over American Eagle soon

After building a custom RMC coaster at the park. I doubt they will do a take over of American Eagle. I could maybe see them do some work to it but I doubt we will see a RMC hybrid of American Eagle.

why not something along the lines of the Texas Giant or Iron Rattler? It's a comparatively cheap way to put new life into a ride, although I agree that topper track is more likely.