TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Track Spottings!

Well, I personally love stand ups, but with so many other diverse ride type possibilities, why would a park choose a standup? I would think that a flyer or inverted look more appealing.

The same reason why a park buy an old SLC like Michigan's Adventure, or a Boomerang like Carowinds. It's all relative to the park's specific needs. Some parks do better with specific types of rides than others. Does that make sense?

I agree with you, there are better types of designs out there, but they're not always the best option. Sadly.

MA and Carowinds didn't "buy" the rides, they were moved from another Cedar Fair park (GL). Cedar Fair simply wanted to get the most out of the closed property and move the rides that had some appeal as "new" attractions.

A stand-up makes no sense to me in a lot of ways. There hasn't been one built in a decade, they are terrible rides (best one I've been on is Georgia Scorcher and it wasn't very good at all), and as far as I know B&M started telling everyone to NOT buy them ages ago... A sit down makes a lot more sense.

Carowinds and MA may not have "brought" the ride but someone has to fit the bill for dismantling, relocation, and reconstruction. I imagine when you add that plus paint, and the new train(s), it adds up to only a small discount from what a new one would have costed.

Manufacturing and shaping tons of steel for an all new coaster isn't exactly cheap... I'm sure the discount is fairly large, or we wouldn't see so many used rides for sale constantly and so many coaster relocated.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If savvy enthusiasts could narrow it down fairly quickly, we would already know what those yellow track pieces were for!" (Jew)

That's why I said "narrow down" rather than "know exactly."

I've looked at plenty of pictures at Roller Coaster Datbase and I'm going to rule out a standup and say it's a sit down of some type and not an inverted, based, as I said before, on the track profile/cross ties.

Eric

Solid, descriptive answer to my question.

That helps a lot. It makes sense that the stand-ups would have issues like that, as I have seen plenty of people do exactly what you illustrated (and, on a good day, after repeated unlocks for the same individual, the op "failed to notice" and dispatched them in a safe, but awkward/uncomfortable position...). It sounds like the stand-up, in a perfect world, wouldn't be too time consuming to load, but the human element is what slows it down. Flyers, on the other hand, seem slow just because of the actual mechanics taking longer to get in place and locked into position.

Hear me out here. I believe I've narrowed down the track type, at least.

The distance of rail to spine is too close together for the track to be a Hyper/Mega.

Dive machine is completely out. No more speculation for a Dive Machine should be discussed. The ties are COMPLETELY different.

It is also not any style of "inverted" coaster, as indicated by the rail ties. The inverted styles such as the classic B&M Inverted and the Flyer have curved ties, and the Mystery Track has straight ties. NOT a Flyer or Inverted.

Which leaves either Sit Down, Floorless, or Stand Up.

The center of the ties are very small. All three styles remaining have small center ties. However, the distance from rail to spine is slightly longer in Floorless and Stand Up than in Sit Down, and as much as I would love to see a Stand Up built, I feel as though this is a Sit Down style coaster.

Just my two cents. However I could be terribly wrong with my conclusion based on the angle the photo was taken. (Please excuse my large post.)

A stand-up makes no sense to me in a lot of ways. There hasn't been one built in a decade, they are terrible rides (best one I've been on is Georgia Scorcher and it wasn't very good at all), and as far as I know B&M started telling everyone to NOT buy them ages ago... A sit down makes a lot more sense.

Say it is a stand-up for Silverwood, to me that makes perfect sense. They already have 3 (adult) sit-down coasters (2 wood and 1 steel) and an inverted. In my opinion, they are "killing 2 birds with one stone" with Aftershock because it is inverted and technically floorless. Building a B&M floorless or sit-down looper would, in a sense, be something they already have. A stand-up would be the first in over 10 years, so they have practically dropped off the face of the Earth. I'm almost positive that most of the people in that area have never seen, or even heard of a coaster you stand-up on (judging from my experience out there during Aftershock's opening...the general public, from what I heard, thought that was the coolest, baddest, and most unique thing they have ever seen). Imagine their reactions to a stand-up. I think a B&M hyper would also make sense, but it would have to be over 200 feet, in my opinion.

Those are just my thoughts on if it is a stand-up for Silverwood.

Led Zep was mediocre at best, but what about Hulk, Kumba, Dragon Kahn, and Wildfire off the top of my head? Those are all good rides.

I'd still take Led Zep over any of the 3 B&M stand-ups I've been on, as well.

I just can't imagine a park even wanting to build one of those rides at this point, or B&M building one for anyone. With so many other far superior designs it would certainly seem peculiar to me.

This thread just keeps repeating itself every 5 pages.

I think it's an invert!

Me too!

It can't be, look at the track in ____ pic.

It's not an invert, here's an in-depth track analysis!

Oh, so it must be either a sitdown, floorless, or standup!

Why would a park build a standup in this day and age?

Let's decipher the barcode!

2 pages of arguing about standups, deciphering the barcode and park speculation.

I think it's an invert!

Even though I do enjoy them, the standup coaster really was something of a 1980s gimmick; one of those things that caught on for awhile, but faded fast. I only think SFMM got Riddler's Revenge because it was a type they didn't have at the time (they had an Intamin one earlier, located about where Terminator is going in), and theirs would be the biggest and baddest.

Eric

Hear me out here. I believe I've narrowed down the track type, at least.

The distance of rail to spine is too close together for the track to be a Hyper/Mega.

Dive machine is completely out. No more speculation for a Dive Machine should be discussed. The ties are COMPLETELY different.

It is also not any style of "inverted" coaster, as indicated by the rail ties. The inverted styles such as the classic B&M Inverted and the Flyer have curved ties, and the Mystery Track has straight ties. NOT a Flyer or Inverted.

Which leaves either Sit Down, Floorless, or Stand Up.

The center of the ties are very small. All three styles remaining have small center ties. However, the distance from rail to spine is slightly longer in Floorless and Stand Up than in Sit Down, and as much as I would love to see a Stand Up built, I feel as though this is a Sit Down style coaster.

Just my two cents. However I could be terribly wrong with my conclusion based on the angle the photo was taken. (Please excuse my large post.)

LOL! No offense, dude, but you do realize this EXACT same thing, with pictures and all, was posted about 10 pages ago.

Welcome to the conversation Sherlock Holmes!

--Robb

ps. Here's a linky to that post so you can get caught up with the rest of us.

Even though I do enjoy them, the standup coaster really was something of a 1980s gimmick; one of those things that caught on for awhile, but faded fast.

Eric

While this sounds true for America, it may be a completely different story for other areas of the world. For example, Australia has never had a stand-up coaster and from what i've learned from talking to non-coaster enthusiasts, most people living here have no idea this type of ride even exists. This could mean that even though it may not be the most enjoyable coaster, it would still be a good move for an Australian park since they could easily market it well to the unknowing Australian crowd. Although chances are it won't be Australia since we have very few theme parks here which usually don't commit a great deal of money to new attractions, hence why there are still no B&M's here.

Honestly, I like standup coasters. Riddler's Revenge is a lot of fun and still pretty smooth for an 11-year-old ride.

Anyway, I found a link to this article on Screamscape. It's about a tour of the Ohio factory that manufactures B&M track for the U.S. market. Most of the way down the page, there is a note that the labels on track pieces are not identified with the type of coaster.

Eric

I saw that article as well(it came from news plus notes) & as I mentioned way back in my first post this explains why the customer name is listed as X Works.It hasn't been until now thanks to this thread that we've been trying to determine the specific model of coaster based on the initials on the label such as "MC","SC" etc. so the plant has been requested to conceal just the customer name,rather than the model.

I'm not so sure it'll be going to anywhere in the US, so my best guess of where it's going is Australia or Alton Towers.

It is certainly not... I'll repeat... NOT going to Alton Towers. This is for multiple reasons that have been said already:

1. It would be manufactured in Europe.

2. Alton have released detailed plans for planning permission, which are required to show track type as it will look. These plans show bi-rail track like Intamin and Premier use, NOT the kind B&M use, and CERTAINLY not the kind of track these are.

3. Alton also said their coaster will be a dark color, which has yet to be decided (this is, I believe, on the plans), so, it won't be yellow!

4. Planning permission hasn't been granted yet, and it's looking a little rocky at the moment. This means it's VERY unlikely any parts of the coaster will have been made yet.

There's really 0% chance of it going to Alton. And I know all this has been said, but I just wanted to re-emphasize it.

Say it is a stand-up for Silverwood, to me that makes perfect sense. They already have 3 (adult) sit-down coasters (2 wood and 1 steel) and an inverted. In my opinion, they are "killing 2 birds with one stone" with Aftershock because it is inverted and technically floorless. Building a B&M floorless or sit-down looper would, in a sense, be something they already have. A stand-up would be the first in over 10 years, so they have practically dropped off the face of the Earth. I'm almost positive that most of the people in that area have never seen, or even heard of a coaster you stand-up on (judging from my experience out there during Aftershock's opening...the general public, from what I heard, thought that was the coolest, baddest, and most unique thing they have ever seen). Imagine their reactions to a stand-up. I think a B&M hyper would also make sense, but it would have to be over 200 feet, in my opinion.

Those are just my thoughts on if it is a stand-up for Silverwood.

Led Zep was mediocre at best, but what about Hulk, Kumba, Dragon Kahn, and Wildfire off the top of my head? Those are all good rides.

I'd still take Led Zep over any of the 3 B&M stand-ups I've been on, as well.

I just can't imagine a park even wanting to build one of those rides at this point, or B&M building one for anyone. With so many other far superior designs it would certainly seem peculiar to me.

I'm just saying that a sit-down looper might be too generic for what Silverwood wants to build...not that they are bad coasters or anything like that.

Maybe I'm off a bit here, but something tells me that if a place like Silverwood was buying a brand new B&M, they wouldn't be hiding the fact. They'd more than likely be screaming to the world, "Hey, we're buying a brand spankin' new B&M, and not a used Deja Vu!" "Look, world of coaster dorks, you can even see it sitting at the B&M factory right now in all it's glory....yep, that's gonna be ours!!" "Please do our small market park a favor and plan to visit Silverwood to ride our brand new yellow tracked B&M." At least, that's how I'd imagine it.

I still like the replacement pieces for Chang theory.

Maybe I'm off a bit here, but something tells me that if a place like Silverwood was buying a brand new B&M, they wouldn't be hiding the fact. They'd more than likely be screaming to the world, "Hey, we're buying a brand spankin' new B&M, and not a used Deja Vu!" "Look, world of coaster dorks, you can even see it sitting at the B&M factory right now in all it's glory....yep, that's gonna be ours!!" "Please do our small market park a favor and plan to visit Silverwood to ride our brand new yellow tracked B&M." At least, that's how I'd imagine it.

I still like the replacement pieces for Chang theory.

I Would definitely have to agree with you there, I mean honestly Silverwood needs something better than a Deja Vu. And like you said Silverwood would announce it right after they get in the clearing for it. SO with that being said, is there an American park that is good at keeping a secret when it comes to a new attraction?

(And thanks for supporting one of my many theories )

This coaster is pretty much SFA's new coaster. People from this site already said that its most likely going to be a stand-up coaster, well guess what SFA already got approved to build in the park in 1999, A STAND-UP COASTER!

Here's a quote from washingtonpost.com

Plans include a stand-up roller coaster, a 200-foot-high steel roller coaster, a runaway car ride, a water ride, a 120-foot-high Ferris wheel and an indoor roller coaster on which riders would remain in the dark. The nature of a seventh new attraction has not been determined.

-The 200 ft coaster is Superman

-The water ride is Penguin's Blizzard River

But we still havent received the rest of the approved attractions.

I'm hoping that GADV's ferris wheel is not leaving that park and coming to SFA as the approved 120 ft ferris wheel. (if its not 120 ft then whoops lol, dont know how tall that thing is)

Here's the link, Washingtonpost.com

I think a B&M stand-up is perfect for a HUGE announcement the park has yet to announce.

This coaster is pretty much SFA's new coaster. People from this site already said that its most likely going to be a stand-up coaster, well guess what SFA already got approved to build in the park in 1999, A STAND-UP COASTER!

Here's a quote from washingtonpost.com

Plans include a stand-up roller coaster, a 200-foot-high steel roller coaster, a runaway car ride, a water ride, a 120-foot-high Ferris wheel and an indoor roller coaster on which riders would remain in the dark. The nature of a seventh new attraction has not been determined.

-The 200 ft coaster is Superman

-The water ride is Penguin's Blizzard River

But we still havent received the rest of the approved attractions.

I'm hoping that GADV's ferris wheel is not leaving that park and coming to SFA as the approved 120 ft ferris wheel. (if its not 120 ft then whoops lol, dont know how tall that thing is)

Here's the link, Washingtonpost.com

I think a B&M stand-up is perfect for a HUGE announcement the park has yet to announce.

It's a good theory, don't get me wrong, but it also doesn't mention Batwing at all. So, you could be right, and this could be the "Fabled Stand-up Coaster of Six Flags America" But, that stand-up could have been changed to a Vekoma "lay-down" coaster. So you could be right, and that article does make a very good argument,(EDIT:) and the seventh attraction could be Batwing

^^^ Hmmmm yes nine year old plans from the previous management (who were thrown out after getting SF into debt) are suddenly going forward despite the state of SFA, Six Flags, and the economy in general.

But hey, do you want to buy a bridge?