TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

I'm trying to get back in touch with former favorites of mine from the past 2-10 years or so, several of them falling into the classic rock category. Because of this, lately I've really enjoyed:

--Foreigner

--Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros

--The Velvet Underground

--Led Zeppelin

--Ted Leo/Pharmacists

--The Doors

--Bruce Springsteen (mostly old top favorite albums "The Rising" and "Born in the USA")

--A bit of Leftover Crack, The Clash, The Cars, Eagles, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Elvis Costello, etc.

I also need to re-acquaint myself with:

--Calibretto (13)

--Coheed & Cambria

--Cotton Mather

--David Bowie

--Transplants

--Warren Zevon

Edited by cal1br3tto

Thanks to ^Laura I now listen to Leftover Crack, Morning Glory, Choking Victim and Star Fuc#ing Hipsters. I used to(relatively recently) listen to main stream stuff such as Slipknot and Korn... and although I still do sometimes listen to that as well as a variety of metal sub genres(anything from Black to Nu) but as I am getting older I am getting into punk and have been listening to ska for a while and have found tons of awesome bands. I have rediscovered awesome bands like NOFX and Bad Religion, whom I have heard of before, but that was just their main hits and I am discovering more awesome songs. I have recently found some older punk acts I enjoy such as The Subhumans, Crass, and even the Casualties who I have learned to like! All are anarcho punk bands that I probably never would have discovered thanks to the awesomeness of discovering Stza Crack... thanks Laura!

Fell across two gems of Will-I-Am's...If you're a fan of BEP when they where more of a hip-hop driven band(you can say they still are now, and I'd call you a liar). Here's a few songs from each. They're both moreso collabrative albums showcasing other artists' vocal talents, but he handled the production....which from the sound, seems like Will at his Hip-Hop/Soul peak.

"Lay Me Down" Feat. Terry Dexter, from the album Lost Change 2001

"Swing By My Way" Feat John Legend, from the album Must B. 21 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvhVZ1cDOvo

^^No problem! Crack rock steady is such a fun, punchy genre. By the way, Subhumans are close to the top of my list of favorite punk bands. When I was into political music their lyrics, plus the overall bleak feel of their songs, were so meaningful and hard-hitting. Crass I always found challenging to listen to, but I like a couple of their more catchy songs. The Casualties were one of my favorite street punk bands, even though people used to deride them as sellouts. (Nowadays the popularity and recognition of a band rarely means a thing to me.)

^I gave up on Owl City after Ocean Eyes. Not because he got too popular (that was the reason of a lot of my friends), but because I feel like he let the quality of his music slip drastically. His first two albums were fantastic; Ocean Eyes was okay and I did not like the new album at all. Kind of sad, really; he used to be a favorite of mine.

Anyways, I seem to be really getting into two bands as of recently: Bomb The Music Industry! and La Dispute. They're both fantastic, and they both came out with new albums recently!

^I gave up on Owl City after Ocean Eyes. Not because he got too popular (that was the reason of a lot of my friends), but because I feel like he let the quality of his music slip drastically. His first two albums were fantastic; Ocean Eyes was okay and I did not like the new album at all. Kind of sad, really; he used to be a favorite of mine.

Anyways, I seem to be really getting into two bands as of recently: Bomb The Music Industry! and La Dispute. They're both fantastic, and they both came out with new albums recently!

What about his new music do you think makes you not like it?

I did notice that I didn't like the songs as much when I first listened to them solo, but they all go great together when you just shuffle the album!

I just feel like his newer albums focus too much on the "cute," rather than actually putting depth to it. He's always had cutesy lyrics and melodies in his music, but he went a little too far for my personal tastes. That, and the song "Alligator Sky" was just... bad. The song title doesn't even make sense for an Owl City song (which is a feat, mind you), and the rapping kind of makes it worse.

I just couldn't get into it like I could with the older stuff. My common sense wouldn't let me, unfortunately.

I've been listening to Family Force 5's newest album (III) lately. I really don't care for it much except this song:

http://youtu.be/2xiOydMk2lA

It's kinda ironic because I doubt the band members have ever really had money issues, but the things they say are pretty funny and so true! All of you broke dopes out there need to hear it.

One thing I really like about this band is their versatility. I don't care for the music on this cd as much, but each song is very different from the rest. I hope they get back more to their rock/alt. rock + dance roots soon because that's what I really liked the best from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not but I wanted to speak my mind on this...

So I keep reading all over the internet that the major record labels want to stop producing physical CDs by the end of 2012. This irritates me. If they want me to go 100% digital then they NEED to lower the price of digital files. Why are they so much on iTunes? If I can spend 9.99 on iTunes and only get a digital file I can not physically touch or go to the store and buy the same exact CD for 9.99 (Walmart/Target/Kmart usually have them this price the week they come out) and have something physical to hold with artwork and liner notes than I am choosing the physical CD. I can always copy the CD to my iTunes so I have it on my iPod. Some people like myself do not have a car equipped with a AUX hook up and I do not feel the need to upgrade my car stereo. They say that the inventory is where they lose so much money with CD stores returning un-purchased merchandise. Well if CD stores like FYE did not mark up the prices so high more people would buy them or if they would not manufacture so much. Luckily I have a AWESOME CD store in downtown Baltimore aptly named The Sound Garden that sells their used CDs/DVD/Blu-rays/Video games really cheap. A lot of the time they will have used copies of things the week they come out. Plus ANY used CD on the rack you can take and open and listen to the entire thing before you buy it to make sure you like it, they will also open ANY new CD and let you listen to it. Also with any purchase from their store you can return it within 7 days even if you do not like it. For anyone in the Syracuse New York they have a location there as well - http://www.cdjoint.com.

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not but I wanted to speak my mind on this...

So I keep reading all over the internet that the major record labels want to stop producing physical CDs by the end of 2012. This irritates me. If they want me to go 100% digital then they NEED to lower the price of digital files. Why are they so much on iTunes? If I can spend 9.99 on iTunes and only get a digital file I can not physically touch or go to the store and buy the same exact CD for 9.99 (Walmart/Target/Kmart usually have them this price the week they come out) and have something physical to hold with artwork and liner notes than I am choosing the physical CD. I can always copy the CD to my iTunes so I have it on my iPod. Some people like myself do not have a car equipped with a AUX hook up and I do not feel the need to upgrade my car stereo. They say that the inventory is where they lose so much money with CD stores returning un-purchased merchandise. Well if CD stores like FYE did not mark up the prices so high more people would buy them or if they would not manufacture so much. Luckily I have a AWESOME CD store in downtown Baltimore aptly named The Sound Garden that sells their used CDs/DVD/Blu-rays/Video games really cheap. A lot of the time they will have used copies of things the week they come out. Plus ANY used CD on the rack you can take and open and listen to the entire thing before you buy it to make sure you like it, they will also open ANY new CD and let you listen to it. Also with any purchase from their store you can return it within 7 days even if you do not like it. For anyone in the Syracuse New York they have a location there as well - http://www.cdjoint.com.

I hope not. I like having physical CDs. I have an iPod and my car stereo has a hook-up but it's a lot more irritating to listen to things on my ipod because then I have to worry about taking my ipod out of the car constantly in cold or hot weather and remember to charge it when the battery is low. Also, it's a lot more dangerous to reach over while driving and click around on the iPod to change the song or album than to skip songs on the CD player or pop in a new cd.

Not to mention that I've lost music before because I lost the digital files and my ipod had an update that wiped all of the files on it.

Has anyone else heard of this Justin Bieber Christmas Album? Ugh.

Yes, I have - I added it to my Spotify. But then again I actually do not mind him. I do not want to start a argument but if you REALLY look at it its not his fault he is so popular - its his fans. If NO one liked him then he would not be every where.

On a side note... a MUCH better young singer is Greyson Chance!

I am listening to a whole bunch of early Black Sabbath songs for a big project I'm doing!

Apparently they are reuniting for an album and tour next year.

Also, VH1 aired the Michael Jackson special "This Is It" last night and love him or hate him, he was just as awesome right up till he died as he was 20 years ago. There will never be another entertainer with the moves and music that he crafted.