TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

^I like Born this Way, better yet I like the Minecraft parody "Form this Way". It’s actually not a bad song. Bad Romance, Pokerface, and Just Dance (I think it’s by her) suffered from two problems for me.

- They both where over played in my house/radio

- They just weren’t up to my standards of songs.

I like Judas and Born this way, and it is kind of ironic for me to say something like this because of my user title.

On other note, I remember I originally heard of Freak Kitchen here. Has anyone heard of them? Only one of my friends knows about them, but thats only because he is actually from Sweden.

I HATE Lady GaGa. I hate that entire genre of music. Just like rap, hip hop, and techno. I know it is an opinion and the majority of people will agree with me, but I just cannot stand mainstream music.

Yet you like skillet?

I'm currently rocking out to We are the Union, which is an awesome ska punk band I found recently. Also enjoying things like Set You Goals right now(thanks pacific) as well as Such Gold and a Loss for words in terms of pop punk. Still loving NOFX and Bad Religion for punk... and streetlight as its much more punk than ska IMO. In terms of metal God Forbid is awesome and so damn under rated. Also I still love Slipknot... cant wait til 2012 new album.

This song kicks so much ass. True metal, a perfect song in terms of what you want... awesome drum solo, some awesome vocals, some awesome guitar playing, and most of all speed to keep that vicious metal beat.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIhyF9plvg&feature=related

^I like Born this Way, better yet I like the Minecraft parody "Form this Way". It’s actually not a bad song. Bad Romance, Pokerface, and Just Dance (I think it’s by her) suffered from two problems for me.

- They both where over played in my house/radio

- They just weren’t up to my standards of songs.

I like Judas and Born this way, and it is kind of ironic for me to say something like this because of my user title.

On other note, I remember I originally heard of Freak Kitchen here. Has anyone heard of them? Only one of my friends knows about them, but thats only because he is actually from Sweden.

I HATE Lady GaGa. I hate that entire genre of music. Just like rap, hip hop, and techno. I know it is an opinion and the majority of people will agree with me, but I just cannot stand mainstream music.

Yet you like skillet?

quote]

I don't see how Skillet fits into the criteria of music that I don't like. I don't like their older stuff when it was more electronic, but their new stuff rocks. The lyrics are great and the songs really have great messages.

quote]

I don't see how Skillet fits into the criteria of music that I don't like. I don't like their older stuff when it was more electronic, but their new stuff rocks. The lyrics are great and the songs really have great messages.

Skillet sounds just like at least 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 billion other bands. Also they consider themselves metal when they are not... As I Lay Dying is Christian metal... not this stuff. Also theres the fact they sound just like paparoach... one of the worst bands EVER. Anyway, I'm not trying to ash your tastes... but 23, 356,531 views on youtube is main stream. Just cause it's not played on the radio does not mean it's not main stream.

Ironically even though I am an agnostic here are some awesome Christian bands... #1 5 Iron Frenzy... although they broke up a few years ago. www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K4mEi0F2WM

#2. August Burns Red:

And the previously mentioned As I Lay Dying. Theres also Norma Jean(boo!) and the Devil Wears Prada, but I'm not really into metalcore.

quote]

Skillet sounds just like at least 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 billion other bands. Also they consider themselves metal when they are not... As I Lay Dying is Christian metal... not this stuff. Also theres the fact they sound just like paparoach... one of the worst bands EVER. Anyway, I'm not trying to ash your tastes... but 23, 356,531 views on youtube is main stream. Just cause it's not played on the radio does not mean it's not main stream.

Well, coming up with reasons why I shouldn't listen to Skillet does seem like you are criticizing my taste. And if they are "mainstream" then why are the ONLY people in my school who have ever heard of them the people I have told them about Skillet. And if they sound just like so many bands, then why does everyone me and my dad talk to who listens to Skillet say they have a unique sound. Sorry, but that sounds like you are criticizing my taste in music, which really isn't cool at all.

All right... my bad... just saying. Maybe it's more of a California thing? I dont know... when I used to go to church they were huge... like HUGE! Like I've seen them live(not very good live imo) but that was when I was into that kind of thing. Sorry if it seems like I am criticizing you're tastes.

California ska... the best kind there is!

I LOVE DAVE THOMAS!!!!!!!!! HOLY **** THIS RULES

^Skillet is mainstream. Everyone knows them here. And, most are haters. Me included. No offense to your taste in music or anything, but they sound exactly like a TON of other grungy bands, or at least they seem like theyre trying to. Minus the chick singer that is.

When I was younger I loved Green Day, Linkin Park and Sum 41. Then I got into this weird phase where all I listened to was classic rock, The Who, Led Zep, Van Halen, SRV, etc. But now, its Avenged Sevenfold, Hollywood Undead, Bullet For My Valentine, and still a bit of LP (although I dislike their new sound). Plus I'm into dubstep. I think Liquid Stranger is the best, followed by Downlink and Excision. Vaski, Ajapai, Datsik and Chrispy. As for Drum&Bass, Pendulum is my absolute favorite. Those guys are SO good.

^ I don't mind if you say that you don't like my favorite band. I do mind if people are telling me why I shouldn't listen to them, and I'm not just talking about you, ghost. Tons of people in my school do that about every band I listen to, and most of them give reasons like "they're fags," and stuff like that. And personally I don't think they sound at all like grunge, they are more of a hard rock band. And I definately don't see how you can compare them to Papa Roach.

^Skillet is mainstream. Everyone knows them here. And, most are haters. Me included. No offense to your taste in music or anything, but they sound exactly like a TON of other grungy bands, or at least they seem like theyre trying to. Minus the chick singer that is.

When I was younger I loved Green Day, Linkin Park and Sum 41. Then I got into this weird phase where all I listened to was classic rock, The Who, Led Zep, Van Halen, SRV, etc. But now, its Avenged Sevenfold, Hollywood Undead, Bullet For My Valentine, and still a bit of LP (although I dislike their new sound). Plus I'm into dubstep. I think Liquid Stranger is the best, followed by Downlink and Excision. Vaski, Ajapai, Datsik and Chrispy. As for Drum&Bass, Pendulum is my absolute favorite. Those guys are SO good.

Diablo Swing? Diablo Swing are VERY uniuque... Violin and Cello and a horn section as well as metal riffs and opera thrown in... no where near grunge. They are known as... well... they're very unique and the term thrown around is "Swing Metal." Anyway... based on your taste possibly give this a try. The vocals are a little less polished then what you're used to, and its a bit of ska mixed in... but probably the most unique "metal" band I've ever heard of.

too bad they broke up... one of the members of the band was murdered and robbed a few months ago.

Raphael Saadiq-Stone Rollin' 8/10

I really like this album...but the only thing keeping me from giving this album a solid 10, is the fact that all of his albums exhibit some type of sound that distinguishes one from another. Stone Rollin (5/10/11) sounds too much like The Way I See It. (2008) Now I love both albums, for their explicit homage to 60's and 70's soul music, but for someone to have a different and unique sound for each album, to have the last one sound like a continuation of its prior, seems like it lacked effort. That aside, Stone Rollin' is a fantastic R&B album. Saadiq is showing the R&B world that youngsters have a lot to learn fron the gospeldelic soul singer.

Anybody listen to Tyler, The Creator's new album yet?

I have. It's really, REALLY good. On par with his first album, quite possibly better.

Any thoughts?

I've listened to a couple of Goblin's songs. I don't LOVE Odd Future, but their lyrics do a great job of being terrifying. I have a friend who went to his secret show in LA last Tuesday and ended up on stage shouting, "Kill people, burn sh*t, f*ck school." It sounded awesome.

Also, Bon Iver just released a free single today named Calgary. It's a really good song, and I can't wait for their album. You can download it either off of Spin's website, or Bon Iver's.

I dont know what genre that is, but I like it.

I've heard someone call it Party Metal before. I dunno, that sounds okay to me.

Anyone ever heard of Jack Beats? They're pretty sweet, if you're into some awesome dance music. Here's their song "Get Down".

^Jack Beats is sweet, but not the best.

Anyways, i just found out about this thread and read the first page . Anyways, here are some albums i'd recommend to people here if they're into electronic/indie stuff thats coming out soon/out now:

SebastiAn - Total (May 30th) Ed Banger/Because Music (If you've heard the leak, you know this thing is amazing. Go check out "Embody" if you wanna know what this evil genius is about.)

Foster the People - Torches (May 23rd) Warner Music (Go listen to "Pumped Up Kicks". 'Nuff said.)

Seapony - Go With Me (Out Today) Hardly Art (It's a little meh, but still somewhat solid.)

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (Out Now) Sub Pop (Best Indie Rock Album of the year so far, hands down.)

Big K.R.I.T. - The Return of 4eva (Out Now) Independent (Trust me, this beats Tyler the Creator's GOBLIN by a mile. No misogynistic lyrics needed.)

Washed Out - Within and Without (July 12) Sub Pop ("Eyes Be Closed" was just released not too long ago and it sounds pretty great and different from everything else in the indie world right now, except for maybe Flying Lotus, Neon Indian or Tame Impala. I have a feeling this is going to be a great summer album.)

And some classics i already have from this year:

Toro Y Moi-Underneath The Pine

Caribou-SwimRemixes

tUnE-yArDs-w h o k i l l

Panda Bear-Tomboy

The Weeknd-House of Balloons

Lykke Li-Wounded Rhymes

PJ Harvey-Let England Shake

James Blake-Selftitled

Cut Copy-Zonoscope

Radiohead-The King of Limbs

Flying Lotus-Cosmogramma Alt. Takes

Frank Ocean-Nostalgia Ultra

The Jet Age of Tomorrow-Voyager

There, your musical tastes have been greatly expanded .

^Jack Beats is sweet, but not the best.

Anyways, i just found out about this thread and read the first page . Anyways, here are some albums i'd recommend to people here if they're into electronic/indie stuff thats coming out soon/out now:

SebastiAn - Total (May 30th) Ed Banger/Because Music (If you've heard the leak, you know this thing is amazing. Go check out "Embody" if you wanna know what this evil genius is about.)

Foster the People - Torches (May 23rd) Warner Music (Go listen to "Pumped Up Kicks". 'Nuff said.)

Seapony - Go With Me (Out Today) Hardly Art (It's a little meh, but still somewhat solid.)

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (Out Now) Sub Pop (Best Indie Rock Album of the year so far, hands down.)

Big K.R.I.T. - The Return of 4eva (Out Now) Independent (Trust me, this beats Tyler the Creator's GOBLIN by a mile. No misogynistic lyrics needed.)

Washed Out - Within and Without (July 12) Sub Pop ("Eyes Be Closed" was just released not too long ago and it sounds pretty great and different from everything else in the indie world right now, except for maybe Flying Lotus, Neon Indian or Tame Impala. I have a feeling this is going to be a great summer album.)

Caribou-SwimRemixes

tUnE-yArDs-w h o k i l l

Panda Bear-Tomboy

Lykke Li-Wounded Rhymes

James Blake-Selftitled

Cut Copy-Zonoscope

There, your musical tastes have been greatly expanded .

Thank god man, you are the first person on TPR to listen to music that I actually enjoy. Just so you know, the SebastiAn and Foster the People records have been leaked for a week or two now.

I have a funny story about Toro y Moi (who are blowing up right now). I saw Toro for the first time last year opening for Nosaj Thing and before the show, I started talking to this nice "hip" African American man while my friend was in the bathroom and when my friend came out, he immediately recognized the man as the lead singer of Toro y Moi! We continued talking and this show and the show before were supposedly his first few shows performing with a full band, not just him at a table with his MIDI controllers.

Also, Cut Copy has been unbelievable on the tour for their new record, I caught them in NYC and at Coachella and they were unbelievably fun. And Panda Bear's sophomore effort, Tomboy is INSANELY good. Like good enough to drive me to catch an Animal Collective set (not a fan) which was hilarious because in the 8 song festival set, they played like 6 new songs. All the drugged out kids around me weren't having such a great time.

Hit me up on Facebook if you want to chat music, I have a lot to say haha

Edit: oof just saw that you mentioned the SebastiAn leak, my bad.

Caribou-SwimRemixes

tUnE-yArDs-w h o k i l l

Panda Bear-Tomboy

Lykke Li-Wounded Rhymes

James Blake-Selftitled

Cut Copy-Zonoscope

All of those are very good. Some of my personal favorites are tUnE-yArDs, Panda Bear, The Weeknd, Cut Copy and Jet Age of Tomorrow (Journey To the 5th Echelon is incredible). I was going to see Cut Copy when they came through Atlanta back in April, but unfortunately, an empty wallet prevented that from happening.

Also, I don't know how well-known they are, but does the name Mansions on the Moon ring any bells? I downloaded their album "Paradise Falls" from their label's website, and it was surprisingly good. It's almost like a giant mash-up with really solid vocals added into the mix. I think Diplo helped them out with it, if I'm not mistaken.

^^To be fair, I don't think anyone liked Animal Collective's set at Coachella. I had to sit through like the last 20 minutes of it to get a good spot for Arcade Fire, and I really couldn't stand a minute of it. It was terrible. Thank God I had just seen the Swell Season beforehand, who are absolutely amazing. Ever since Coachella, I've gotten into them much more, and they're really just the epitome of good indie-folk music.

The other day I heard someone playing some really cool electronic/dubstep/bass music the other day (I'm not really sure about the classifications, but I think it was dubstep or something similar) and I decided to try and find it.

I downloaded the two Skrillex albums and I really like them. but does anyone have any other recommendations? I really like the hard bass electronic sound.

Liquid Stranger is the best IMO, follwed by Downlink and Excision. Definetly check those guys out. Skrillex is as mainstream as dubstep gets, I never really grew fond of his stuff. But there are a lot of other artists out there better than he.

Liquid Stranger is the best IMO, follwed by Downlink and Excision. Definetly check those guys out. Skrillex is as mainstream as dubstep gets, I never really grew fond of his stuff. But there are a lot of other artists out there better than he.

Liquid Stranger has some nice mixes (Mechanoid Mixdown!), but he is not even close to the best. I caught Excision a month or two ago and was a bit let down, but it happens. When I have some spare time, I am going to post a ton of youtube videos of some nice tracks in this thread.

And Skrillex is literally the WORST thing to happen to EDM in the past five years. He is honestly so awful and an overall douche. His set are already recorded and he just presses play on it at every show then proceeds to turn knobs, smoke American Spirits, and chat with his totally awesome friends! Never in my years of attending shows (been to over 70) have I been so unhappy as the time I saw Skrillex. My rant for the day...