TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

I have all their albums and the non-album songs. Attended 5 concerts and have a bunch of band merchandise.

T-shirts, hoodies, belts, etc.

Does that make me a fan?

Favorite songs, Nebel, Fruhling in Paris, Roter Sand, Feuer und Wasser, those lyrics are pure poetry.

Ummmm... I cant believe this hasn't been brought up, but SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS BACK TOGETHER. FU** YES!!!! Also, I have a feeling they may headline mayhem festival next year, not that I have any official evidence to back this up what so ever, but they're Euro tour ends in early June and mayhem begins in early July. It is also the perfect US metal tour as it pretty much goes everywhere, including a few Canadian dates. BANANA BANANA BANANA TERRA CODA BANANA BANANA TERRA CODA PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This may sound weird but I love this kind of music!!!! My favorite kind of music is.... Polkas and Yodeling. This is no lie, Ive been collecting this kind of music for Years. Yodelers include Maria Hellwig 1920-2010 R.I.P Franzl Lang(Known for being the best yodeler in the world) Anni Erler, Lolita,and plenty more. Thats the kind of music I like, Swear to god, no joke.

This is kind of a strange thought process (story of my life), so try and bear with me for a moment.

I don't really like rap, and the rappers that I do like have to be REALLY REALLY good,at least in my opinion, for me to listen to them. I know, it's quite music-snob of me, but some "rappers" can't actually rap (a la Soulja Boy, Roscoe Dash, Gucci Mane, etc.) so it's always a good thing to separate the actual talent from the radio trash. One of the few mainstream rappers I enjoy is Kanye West, mostly because of the creativity in his lyrics and (most of) his actual music, beat-wise.

I recently bought his most recent release, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and loved it from the moment I put it into my laptop. My favorite song is Monster, but the song that stood out most to me the first listen through was the song "Lost in the World", where Mr. West samples the song "Woods" by Bon Iver. Listening to the sampled section made me realize how much I loved that song, so I turned off Kanye for a while and went back to Bon Iver, playing "Woods" about 4 or 5 times in a row.

It's a very simple song, but Bon Iver's use of Autotune is one of the best ways I've ever heard Autotune used EVER. Somehow, without a beat, there's a soulfulness that I haven't heard many times before. If you haven't heard this song, and you like songs that aren't what you would normally hear on your Top 40 radio station, you might want to take a listen to this wonderful piece of musical genius.

Ha, I went from Kanye West to awesome indie band. Even if it's not your particular music taste, you should listen anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a quick album review!

Best Coast - Crazy For You

This was a bit different than what I've been listening to for the past few weeks (a steady blend of dance, rap and noisy indie rock), and it was quite refreshing, like drinking water right after a workout. The sound of the album as a whole is really vintage-sounding - pretty much every sound on the album is very distant and fuzzy, a throwback of sorts to older vinyl and 1950's-era distortion. The sound quality goes nicely with the unusually simple lyrics, which kind of sound like they were written back in the time where everything was a little bit less risqué. Now, that's not saying that the album is perfect; in fact, one of the reasons it's such a solid album is that all of the songs are quite similar to each other, minus a key change here or there. It's almost like they grouped the songs on the album according to what key they were written in, so that the album had three or four distinct sections. For me, it made the album a little bit boring to listen to near the end. Fortunately, they decided to put my favorite song, Girlfriend, as song number 1 of the 13 tracks on the album. Overall, Crazy For You is different enough from the current radio trash but still fun enough to listen to, making it one of my favorite albums that I've gotten in a long while.

8/10

1073946929_BestCoast1.jpg.9023f3e3264300527e04a94737247790.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, I saw:

Guns N' Roses

Paramore

Faithless

This year, I am planning:

The Stranglers

The Undertones

Faithless (possibly)

David Guetta

I like many types of music and have seen The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Sex Pistols, Alice Cooper, The Killers, Keane, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, Blur, Oasis, Supergrass, The Levellers, The Damned, Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers, UK Subs and Lostprophets among others!

They do and we are lucky in the UK that they still tour at home a great deal. Would like to see bands like the Stones and Fleetwood Mac do more here but you can't have everything.

I think Buzzcocks are doing a US tour soon or maybe even now, try to check out a show if possible!

Buzzcocks still perform amazing shows, seen them twice in the last four years. The Damned are probably my favourite live act around at the moment, some people think they've gone a bit cabaret, but they're always great fun, and anything involving Captain Sensible is a sure fire hit. I saw Henry Cluney (ex SLF) a couple of times last year - I've seen the UK Subs, but they didn't do a great deal for me, I like my punk melodic.

...The Adicts are also absolutely fantastic.

Yes.

Here are 20 of my favorite punk bands: The Clash, Dead Kennedys, Subhumans, Misfits, Leftover Crack, The Dead Milkmen, Ramones, Operation Ivy, Buzzcocks, T.S.O.L., The Havoc, The Adicts, Choking Victim, The Cramps, Stiff Little Fingers, Lars Frederiksen & The Bastards, Oi Polloi, Sex Pistols, The Vibrators, The Last Hope.

The Clash/Joe Strummer/Mick Jones/etc are pretty much my favourite music. My top three always changes but it's generally something like the Clash, Blur and the Damned, or the Clash, Blur and Scritti Politti (look 'em up), or even the Clash, the Damned and Reel Big Fish. I would never say I'm a punk, but I've been to a festival that celebrates Joe Strummer every year for the past five, and (like I said) I always see the Damned at least once a year, especially since they've started playing in my home town recently.

^I'm not a punk either, but I have a long history of listening to punk music and sampling different varieties.

I love The Clash and Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros. It's no longer of any significance to me what genre(s) they are; it's just great music!

I've been listening to Bomb the Music Industry a lot lately wondering why didn't I discover them sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Vy6ZmCoOU

Also, picked up Cage the Elephant's new album Thank You, Happy Birthday. Better than their last album, although it didn't really have the 90's feel their previous album had. I admit when I first heard "Shake Me Down" on the radio I didn't like it, but it slowly grew on me. Worth a listen if you're into alternative rock.

^I'm not a punk either, but I have a long history of listening to punk music and sampling different varieties.

I love The Clash and Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros. It's no longer of any significance to me what genre(s) they are; it's just great music!

Same it's nice to meet someone else who actually knows who the Mescaleroes are/were - I only wish Joe hadn't gone and died on my 12th birthday like he did.

^How sad! I actually remember reading a newspaper article about his death, which is how I first heard of him. (Hope that's not too weird...) I wasn't into any kind of similar music at the time, but I guess people's respect and sadness caught my attention. A year or two later, The Clash became one of the first punk bands I ever listened to.

^^(I swear I'm not a punk know-it-all, I realize there's much more I don't know...) That said, I picked up some Bomb The Music Industry!!! downloads, I believe off their site, but I haven't listened to them for a while. From what I remember they were pretty humorous, creative, and subversive (hence their name).

^ Well, I didn't actually know at the time - but I learnt later, when I got into the Clash and Meskies in 2005, and since then my birthday's been a little bittersweet.

I have been lucky enough to see Paul Simonon and Mick Jones of the Clash, though - saw Paul as part of Damon Albarn's The Good the Bad and the Queen, and in the Gorillaz live band, which also featured Mick on guitar. I've also seen Mick's own band Carbon/Silicon, who are pretty good.

Here's a cool video I found that demonstrates the importance of key and note selection in music.

Here is a parody of Cannibal Corpse's song "Hammer Smashed Face" after being transposed into E major. (I want to say the original is in E minor, but I do not know for sure.)

For comparison, here is the original song: