TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

P. 278: Mardi Gras Festival 2021 details announced!

Honestly looking at Rattler is it even worth saving? They should just scrap it and start over with a new wooden coaster in that location like Magic Mountain did with Apocanator.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now, Bill. . you have to search for the clinical term:  "Blueprints shaped like penis"

I'm in line for Dare Devil Dive in technical rehearsal. This is not a drill. I repeat: this is not a drill!

Six Flags Fiesta Texas has sent us a press release about the return of the annual Mardi Gras Festival at Six Flags Fiesta Texas including several new experiences that will debut this year!

Posted Images

Got the pictures today. This turned out to be way harder just because of the area that is was done to. Can't get close to it to get great shots, but with zoom I got enough to see what there is too see!

IMG_5261.thumb.JPG.5116752f427cce399f96da0aac8ae6b9.JPG

I see you new topper track... why are you so far away!

IMG_5262.thumb.JPG.dcd9a61de9fe50051697047154f66e0d.JPG

OOOO you are a sexy bolt and cross tie

IMG_5267.thumb.JPG.3cd9aae014944dc502938a2547164c22.JPG

SUPERZOOM!

IMG_5272.thumb.JPG.3200992c848e8c83b1b0a4ce3d9807ed.JPG

Fancy curves!

IMG_5297.thumb.JPG.687c332c1318bd55edfa14693006b8fc.JPG

Going up close up

IMG_5302.thumb.JPG.e58a02a88ff4511b5cad624f63055c28.JPG

Extream zoom for an EXTREAM transition!

IMG_5266.thumb.JPG.2db1026ac77469b5d07c8df6a39bccb9.JPG

Oh and for all those Bi curious coaster lovers... Rattler is cross breeding with steel support tubes too... This was done a few seasons ago.... What a rebel!

I think rehab will do as much for this coaster as it does for Charlie Sheen. I'd love to see the original first drop restored without the titanium shattering roughness.

Hoping Texas Giant part 2 is a success, and encourages further projects.

It's good to see that Six Flags is doing this. It's not just this park either. I heard from eye witnesses that crew workers were working on Cyclone at SFNE with this type of track. I wonder what wooden roller coaster on the Six Flags chain will get this treatment next.

If anything, Dania Beach Hurricane NEEDS this. Its a great ride but its aged very badly... Chunky PTC's haven't helped either.

Imagine it with the topper track, and Timberliners..

I hope it doesn't get the Gwazi treatment.. Great new trains and still the crap track.

If anything, Dania Beach Hurricane NEEDS this. Its a great ride but its aged very badly

There are a lot of people that do not share your opinion.

If anything, Dania Beach Hurricane NEEDS this. Its a great ride but its aged very badly

There are a lot of people that do not share your opinion.

Ditto, rode a few weeks ago and it's very smooth and an incredible ride.

Still counting the days down to checking out the topper track on rattler...I just want to see how it rides. Thanks for the pictures!

Maybe all of this Rocky Mountain work on large, older wooden coasters will drive home the fact that bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to wood.

Eric

^Or more importantly that if you are going to go big, hire a firm that knows what they are doing.

I'm excited to see how all these projects work out. I can easily see Son of Beast and Mean Streak getting some form of treatment from Rocky Mountain Coasters. Hopefully the results are as good as they are looking.

Maybe all of this Rocky Mountain work on large, older wooden coasters will drive home the fact that bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to wood.

Eric

Either this, or if you absolutely need to change your park's skyline, go pre-fab.

If anything, Dania Beach Hurricane NEEDS this. Its a great ride but its aged very badly... Chunky PTC's haven't helped either.

I hope it doesn't get the Gwazi treatment.. Great new trains and still the crap track.

Rode DBH not two months ago, and while it wasn't silky smooth by any stretch of the imagination, it really wasn't that rough. And the airtime was wicked. They had also done considerable track work, as there was new wood everywhere. I can think of dozens of woodies that could use this treatment before DBH.

...or if you absolutely need to change your park's skyline, go pre-fab.
Or more importantly that if you are going to go big, hire a firm that knows what they are doing.

I agree on both counts. El Toro at SFGAd---an Intamin ride---seems to be working out just fine. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but it gets great reviews.

Eric

Just throwing in my 2cents. To me Rattler is every bit worth rehabbing. I rode it for the first times in 2009 and really love it! Yes the helix of doom was very doomy, but I still loved the ride overall. I've been on 140+ coasters 40+ being wooden. It's in my top 10 wooden. I'm not the most well ridden enthusiast, but not the least either.

Everyone has varying opinions on coasters and I guess I'm just in the minority on this one.

Have you ridden Gwazi with the new trains? Seems kind of unfair to pass judgement on the coaster if you have not ridden it yet.

I did and it is worlds better than before. And the track was rehabbed over the last few years.

I have heard that Cyclone at SFNE is getting some topper track. We'll see if that happens.

now that would be amazing

SFNE Online received pictures earlier today that show the track. Crews have been seen around Cyclone surveying it out.

If you want to see two more pictures you can go to SFNE Online.

http://sfneonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=209&p=4341#p4341

I'm sure if the track on both Rattler and Cyclone are a success then I bet we'll see them on more coasters soon enough!

With rumors of a new woodie happening at Cedar Point in the next 2 years, would it be possible that they may have the Rocky Mountain plan for Mean Streak? Re-Market it as a new ride ie Disaster Transport? As much money as they have put into the back of the park I could see it happening but the front is getting neglected some. If the New Texas Giant goes well, we could see a New Mean Streak.

While I am glad Six Flags is starting to use Rocky Mountain track, I would be even more so to see Cedar Fair use this. Knott's has GhostRider, Dorney has Thunderhawk, Cedar Point has Mean Streak. All 3 of these rides could use Rocky Mountain track. (P.S., what is with Cedar Fair parks and rough woodys anyway?)

I'm glad that six flags is trying these topper tracks out on these two coasters because if nothing else it will improve the sections that they put the topper track on, and if all goes well we may see more, so it is a win win!

Really? I rode DBH less than a year ago and it was FAR better (in terms of ride condition, roughness, etc) when compared to Gwazi. Heck, I'd say it was better or as good as (when considering the same terms) most of the woodies I've ridden. I think there's a pretty clear line between a normal woodie which, of course, is going to be slightly rough, and a downright unbearable woodie that desperately needs the Rocky Mountain topper track. DBH was rough, but it was still fun; a woodie that meets the latter requirements would in no way (or in very few ways) be able to be considered enjoyable. From what I've read over the years, rides like Rattler (and Mean Streak, and the Texas Giant, and...) are in much greater need of the extensive rehabilitation RM provides than a ride such as DBH. Just my couple of pennies.

That reminds me that I'll have to bring a newspaper to SFFT this year! On my last visit many years ago, many of us wished we'd have a newspaper to read during that long, boring helix! That would make for a funny picture, if you had a train full of people reading newspapers on a coaster!

As to SFNE's Cyclone, the only thing it needs is constant maintenance -- and to take off the damn brakes that are now all over the ride! When they switched to heavier PTC trains from those awful Morgan monstrosities, the ride needed MUCH more trackwork. Instead, they just braked the whole thing to death! Another example of "be careful what you ask for!"

It's a shame that the big park chains can't afford to maintain their woodies.