TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

If it was an Iron Horse treatment, they would've planned to close the ride down in August like Colossus is doing. I'm guessing that they will take their time to tear down the ride for a new one.

Maybe since it hasn't been well maintend at all, it will need more work to have it open around the right time

If it was an Iron Horse treatment, they would've planned to close the ride down in August like Colossus is doing. I'm guessing that they will take their time to tear down the ride for a new one.

Maybe since it hasn't been well maintend at all, it will need more work to have it open around the right time

For that reason, and, as another user mentioned, because of New England's winters. And to answer RCF's question, the Medusa Steel Coaster project also involved a lot of land clearing. Perhaps they're extending the queue. Why would Six Flags tear down a roller coaster to replace it with another ride when they already have a structure upon which to build a top-10 ride?

Remember, Rolling Thunder, although designed by Cobb, was demolished under much different circumstances. It was a small, pedestrian out-and-back coaster that was largely obscured by it's neighbor El Toro. Cyclone, on the other hand, is a unique coaster that's still a major part of the North End's skyline.

For that reason, and, as another user mentioned, because of New England's winters. And to answer RCF's question, the Medusa Steel Coaster project also involved a lot of land clearing. Perhaps they're extending the queue. Why would Six Flags tear down a roller coaster to replace it with another ride when they already have a structure upon which to build a top-10 ride?

Remember, Rolling Thunder, although designed by Cobb, was demolished under much different circumstances. It was a small, pedestrian out-and-back coaster that was largely obscured by it's neighbor El Toro. Cyclone, on the other hand, is a unique coaster that's still a major part of the North End's skyline.

I'm pretty sure the Enterance is going to be where the rides original Enterance was. Near sky screamer.

My local news in Toledo picked up on this-

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/25857358/cyclone-at-six-flags-riverside-closes-after-31-year-ride?clienttype=generic&utm_content=buffer9c198&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Facebook post, on the other hand, said this-

One of the biggest wooden roller coasters in the world ends its 31-year ride at Six Flags.

Story: http://bit.ly/1mcjYil

What is your favorite wooden coaster?

Cyclone isn't that big. Luckily, the comments contain few GP-isms. The ones that are there are a complaint about woodies being "too rickety" and somebody who thought that Gemini was steel (who was quickly corrected.)

I'm pretty sure the Enterance is going to be where the rides original Enterance was. Near sky screamer.

Probably. But they might extend the queue to pass into that new area and then through that passageway under the lift. I don't think the current queue is long enough for a ride like this.

I would be extremely shocked to see Cyclone demolished, the park has replaced a lot of bents over the years and the layout is great as it is!

What I want to see is that white superstructure repainted, the first drop brought back to its insane original form, and a couple of barrel rolls or a g stall. I imagine the red steel would pop nicely on bright white, with brand new blue trains with white stars. I just got the chills. 'Murica.

image.jpg.e95480c696221059b8418089ebf59734.jpg

Photo by Ken Denton, look at that lovely structure! I imagine that long flat piece will become an inversion.

Great photo! I can remember riding it when it first opened. It was AMAZING!

My best rides were on a very rainy Spring day. We were riding in ponchos, and the rain was stinging our eyes. It was out of control fun!!!

I'm dying to see what RMC has in store for us...

Traditional woodies are, by far, my favorite coaster types but with the advancements made even on the traditional level in the last 10 years makes me welcome these RMC conversions when done to the more outdated woodies of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

Being from PA I find it hard to believe you consider the 70's + outdated........There are many coasters older than that that are in incredible shape.......

This is one of those coasters growing up that I seen on tv specials that always intrigued me...such an amazing looking first drop and impressive structure.

Another classic is gone, this time seems like it's a really good one. Hopefully the new thing won't disappoint

I know... first Colossus, now Cyclone (though I'm a bit more sad about Colossus because it's at my home Six Flags park, and it's one of my favorite rides at the park.) But, it is the dawn of a new era for both of the rides, for RMC will very, very likely visit both parks and give it the Iron Horse treatment. Although I will miss the classic vibes of both rides, RMC ought to spruce them up a bit and return them to their old glory. Who knows, maybe Cyclone will get its 20 foot drop back.

As long as the coaster doesn't do this anymore I'll be happy.

SFNE Cyclone

I know the ride is safe and all that and supports are designed to sway but there is no way that's normal.

It's definitely not in new condition, but that doesn't seem like that much of a displacement. I've seen much more extreme

Traditional woodies are, by far, my favorite coaster types but with the advancements made even on the traditional level in the last 10 years makes me welcome these RMC conversions when done to the more outdated woodies of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

Being from PA I find it hard to believe you consider the 70's + outdated........There are many coasters older than that that are in incredible shape.......

This is one of those coasters growing up that I seen on tv specials that always intrigued me...such an amazing looking first drop and impressive structure.

There was a reason why I specified "outdated woodies of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's", however, I should have been even more specific. The time period I was targeting was the late 70's until the early 90's. Why? Well, that's the strange history of wooden coasters. It was during this time that they experienced a "regression through progression" in their designs. Basically they got rougher as the limits were being pushed, but there are other several reasons why this happened that can be explained at another time. It's very safe to say that the plurality of wooden coasters still in existence today that were built before this specific time period run very well.

I've ridden Cyclone and while it has its moments, it doesn't live up to most woodies built in the last 10-15 years. It has a lot of slow periods, its airtime is sporadic at best, and any intensity it provides is mostly due to the rough ride that it gives. There comes a point where guaranteed success trumps nostalgia, and this becomes the case with an RMC makeover for several reasons:

1)It gives the park two world class coasters.

2)It will preserve the ride's nostalgia by actually providing a more intense experience than it currently provides.

3)It will become more rideable resulting in less liability.

4)Lower maintenance costs

It's a win-win situation for both the park and its guests.

There was a reason why I specified "outdated woodies of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's", however, I should have been even more specific. The time period I was targeting was the late 70's until the early 90's. Why? Well, that's the strange history of wooden coasters. It was during this time that they experienced a "regression through progression" in their designs. Basically they got rougher as the limits were being pushed, but there are other several reasons why this happened that can be explained at another time. It's very safe to say that the plurality of wooden coasters still in existence today that were built before this specific time period run very well.

Interesting point, almost like Mean Streak vs. Blue Streak or even The Beast vs. Racer. Yes The Beast has an amazing layout that can't be compared to any other wooden coaster, but the ride IMO is difficult to ride because it's really rough and doesn't track well *hides from Beast fanboys/fangirls*

I've never ridden it but the ride looks uncomfortably rough and trimmed a fair bit on the heavy side. The layout does provide some nice opportunities for headchoppers and more extreme elements so I'd love to see what RMC would be able to do to this. (As I'm sure we all are. )

^ cough cough lightning run

Oh boy, the wooden structure moves one inch. Wooden coasters move like this, it's not much of a big deal.

You're right, but the important difference is that Cyclone was moving from the base, rather than staying anchored at the base and swaying at the higher points of the structure. I've seen coasters sway all the time but never seen them sway and lift up at the base. That's not normal... I'm not saying it was technically unsafe as it was allowed to operate, but it's still not normal.