TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Battle of the Manufacturers

What's your favorite steel coaster manufacturer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite steel coaster manufacturer?

• B&M
    • Intamin
    • Arrow
    • Vekoma
    • Schwarzkopf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All great manufactures. I love Schwarzkopf for their lap bars, B&M for the smoothness and their innovative concepts, Arrow will always a special place in my heart, Vekoma....um, they make... ...roller coasters.

Which leaves Intamin. If I had to come up with a top 5 list of steel coasters, I don't think they would make the cut. However, they're still my favorite. Logic need not apply.

Hmmmm....may be the world did end on the 21st. Or how could I explain that Arrow got more votes than Schwarzkopf?

A Schwarzkopf was my first inversion coaster and it's still my fav: the force, the speed, the lapbars.

If the question would go which is my fav still operating company I'd go with Intamin: the force, the speed, the airtime. Maurer-Söhne with it's new lapbar-system coming in second but so far lacking big installations.

On wooden coasters I'd prefer Intamin/Cordes prefabs with Gravitykraft Timberliners on them...

Arrow is my favorite manufacturer. They feel out control and rattly, but not painful. Such experiences on those rides. Some of them have forces, some have crazy lats, and all of them have those fun, awkward transitions Maybe I'm the perfect height for no headbanging and the best experiences (5' 10")?

Woodies, GG and GCI, respectively.

I have to go with Intamin. I love B&M coasters but most can't compare with the intensity of Intamin rides. They were already my favorite manufacturer just because of their amazing steel coasters (their resume now includes Millennium Force, Intimidator 305, Bizarro at SFNE, Kingda Ka, Skyrush and dozens of others) but what made them even more amazing was when they opened El Toro which just got voted the best wood coaster in the world this year. I can't think of another company that's been on top of both the wood and steel coaster charts (and let's not forget their awesome drop towers).

TL;DR... Intamin built El Toro and B&M didn't... so Intamin wins.

I'm an Anton Schwarzkopf guy any day. Those rides are simple; can be very intense or kinda "family-ish," or a bit both. They're very ride-able and never get old. Comfort: smooth yet they still feel like a roller coaster. You get REAL air time with those simple lap bars; there is a pseudo seat divider built into the lap bars - but no real seat divider, so you still get to squish your riding partner. The only bad thing about Schwarzkopf rides is there weren't very many built. They were the high quality steel coaster available at the time (Arrow coasters were the bargain models.)

All the new innovations from B&M and Intamin are very cool and practical, etc., but nothing comes close to an Anton for me.

I would say my top three manufacturers are as follows.

1. Bolliger & Mabillard: I have yet to ride a bad B&M, and all but one are rides I'd wait at least fifteen minutes for (even the stand-ups). To me, their designs are not necessarily the most intense or the most innovative, but they are just pure fun, and that is what I look for in a coaster. As far as I'm concerned, if it's a ride that I'll enjoy just as much after an hour of ERT as I did on my first ride, it's a good coaster.

2. Premier Rides: The main reason this isn't my favorite manufacturer is because while all their coasters are good, none of them are outstanding. My favorite Premier coaster is Mr. Freeze, but it's still a ride I'd only ride once or twice during a visit and I wouldn't invest more than an hour for it.

3. Intamin AG: I generally like Intamin's coasters, and I acknowlege that they have the most innovative and most intense rides in the industry. However, the two reasons they are ranked third are that their rides tend to be tempermental and I just don't care for some of their designs at all. My favorite coaster is an Intamin, but there are also some Intamin's that I wouldn't mind never riding again (namely their Swiss Bobs and smaller coasters, as well as La Ronde's Cobra). A vast majority of their coasters that don't fall into this category, however, place somewhere in my top fifty.

• 2 weeks later...

As my name says, I am an Arrow Fan. I have ridden more Arrows than any other manufacturer and have never been disappointed. Even designs that I thought before riding them might have been impressive in their time but are now dated and irrelevant like the Suspended Coaster, have turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise. I like them for their inversions, for their innovations (both segment and elements innovated), their log flumes, their air time is outstanding, and the experience is quite intense.

2. Intamin takes a strong second. They like Arrow are an innovator and a benchmarker. They have made coasters that like Arrow's Suspended Coasters, I thought would be "meh" but turned out to be one of my favorites (Maverick), La Vibora although not my favorite was a worth while unique experience. I also enjoy their flats and water rides. The only one I didn't care for was Wicked Twister. It wasn't because of any roughness, it seemed to make me more nauseous than anything else.

3. Much more difficult call. Today I will say B&M, but it sometimes fluctuates between them, Premiere, and Schwartzkopf. When their inverted coasters are new, they are as smooth as people say and the older models are intense. The floorless Superman Krypton Coaster is one of my favorites, and the Batman rank well when they are in good condition. I just find their hypers forceless, the Mantis is one of the most painful coasters I have ever been on (but to be fair that might just be a segment problem and not as much the fault of B&M), and as they age they can be just as rough as their competition. I find their newer stuff less impressive as their older designs.

4. Again close, but I will go with Premiere. I have ridden 4 types (Mr. Freeze, Poltergiest/Flight of Fear, Skull Mountain, Back Lot Stunt Coaster) each segment is very different in its experience which I appreciate and they are intense. What they lack for me is they haven't built a one way direction coaster that has a variety of inversions (Vortex KI & Superman Krypton Coaster), good amount of air time (Vortex KI & Maverick), and has a longer ride experience. They need to offer at least offer one of the following to end up higher on the list: an intense hyper, a good multi-looper, a coaster in the caliber of Maverick.

5. My lack of experience with Schwarzkopf breaks the 3 way tie. I loved the Shockwave, but I am afraid that without more inversions (and variety) it just lacks what I like. What little I remember of the Zambezi Zinger (at WoF) is that I remember preferring the King River Mine Train to it; however, I hope someday to be able to ride a Greezed Lightnin' clone and they seem like they were good coasters for their time.

I am not sure what number Vekoma is but based on what I have experienced, it is last. I am more impressed with my experience with Giovanola, Morgan, and smaller manufacturers than Vekoma. The Boomerangs are the worst I have ever experienced, the Invertigo wasn't as bad but wasn't that good either. The Flying Dutchman models although very smooth, they take a long time to load & unload, and provides little air time, meaning it doesn't pay off for the long wait. It sounded better in theory for me than it actually was, along with the fact that it made breathing more difficult. Not a bad ride, just not for me. The newer stuff they appear to be making seems to be interesting, but until I get to experience it, I have to go with what I have experienced.

• 2 weeks later...
^ I can name a bunch that are better than alot of recent B&M's, and they are all old.

Montezooma's Revenge (Knott's)

Viper (SFAW)

Greezed Lightnin' (SFAW)

Shockwave (SFOT)

Hell, Revolution (SFMM) was the best of the best until it got butchered.

Don't forget about Mindbender at SFOG-that is some great stuff and it has been for quite some time. That's why I vote Schwazkopf 10/10 times.

I'm an Arrow guy. Re-affirmed by X a few weeks ago.

Sweet Jebus.

Then again...some madmen/trolls voted for Vekoma haha

Why is there no vote for TOGO!?

I could never decide...the fanboy/nostaglia in me says B&M but my brain says Intamin. I've come up with reasons to say B&M like they are more reliable, smoother/more comfortable but Intamin just has more coasters I like, 4 of my top 5, and 6 or 7 of my top 10. I also like intensity, which they are, and love the lack of MCBR...they also make non coaster rides and are far more diverse.

Intamin it is...with B&M close second.

Then yeah: Arrow and Vekoma in the depths

I'm partial to B&M and Premier, with Intamin probably in third place.

Premier: Over half of their coasters I've ridden fall easily within my top 50 steel. Their layouts are inventive even (or especially) when simple or compact, their inversions are interesting, and their launches often intense. As for those I rank lower, Sky Rocket is lovely but a bit too tame to be a top ride. Mummy is very good, but more as a themed ride than as a complete coaster package. I don't care for the Backlot Stunt Coasters, and Runaway Mountain is simply a completely different kind of ride from their norm.

Bolliger and Mabillard: There's not a coaster of theirs I truly hate, although not surprisingly, a handful of their smaller stand-ups come close. And while some of them are definitely on the tamer side, I'm not sure I've ever ridden one that I would personally label forceless. I actually really like some of their unpopular or polarizing coasters (Talon, Hydra, Silver Bullet), and don't care so much for some of their better-liked ones, such as certain Batmans and Dragon Challenge.

Intamin: I'm not your typical fan of Intamin, at least in these parts, but it's pretty hard not to love them. In particular, they know how to do launchers right. My top 5 Intamins are all launchers, and after that, mix in some of their other major rides, such as Millennium Force, I305, and S:ROS.

To me, the choice is obvious, Intamin, Shwarzkopf, B&M, and Premier (in that order).

INTAMIN: They've built some of my favorite coasters, and coasters I would love to ride. Bizarro and I305 rank among my top 25 along with Maverick, Xcelerator and California Screamin'. They've built other awesome coasters I wish to ride as well, such as Skyrush, Expedition GeForce and Wallibi's Goliath.

SCHWARZKOPF: Awesome manufacturers, especially for those who are fans of Positive G's. Shockwave, Scorpion and Zonga are some coasters that are pleasant and fun. Not too intense, not too gentle. Revolution also would be one of those coasters if it weren't all butchered up.

B&M: I rarely dislike most of their coasters. Diamondback, Riddler's, and Batman are very fun coasters to ride and their not aggressive nor too intense. Silver Bullet is one of my favorite inverts and Kumba what's not too love?

PREMIER: The have all built coasters that I find awesome, RoTM, Superman: Ultimate Flight, and SkyRocket (I have not ridden yet but looks awesome through the POV's). S:UF at SFDK is just pure glory, and is Cali's answer to an airtime machine IMHO. I loved it and the hangtime is beyond amazing. RoTM is a sweet treat, and very fun for anyone in search for a good coaster.

I noticed that I like most B&Ms, while Intamin is more hit/miss....but with the hits being far better.

Like stable and solid, or up and down but potentially better. I'd say B&M has been more innovative but Intamin had plenty of their own, like magnet brakes, elevator cable lifts, hydraulic launch, plug and play wooden coasters and the new double spine track. Damn hard choice actually but Intamins are just more enjoyable for me.

Schwarzkopf! Only ridden a couple but they are fun little rides and the loops are damn forceful. I guess his rides just can't stand to today's but he's a legend and made some great rides.

Schwarzkopf for me. Admittedly that's a sentimental choice for me, since my first home park was Astroworld. Talk about some legendary rides.

Viper (Astroworld)

Greezed Lightnin' (Astroworld)

Taz's Texas Tornado (Astroworld) (aka Zonga) This one was sheer distilled greatness.

Flashback (SFOT)

Wizzer (SFGAm)

Mind Bender (SFOG)

Sooper Dooper Looper (Hershey Park)

I know I've ridden some others, but those were the ones I could name off of the top of my head. In all fairness if I were to evaluate the question objectively most of my favorite rides are probably Intamin or B&M, but it just feels special when I get to ride a Schwarzkopf.

It's a tie for me between Intamin and B&M.

I chose B&M because I've been on more and I haven't been on a bad one that disappointed me. They may not be the most intense on the planet, but they are good fun, reliable, and their hypers are amazing.

Intamin holds a special place for El Toro alone, it's my favorite roller coaster I've been on, and I don't know if anything can top it.

Intamin, with B&M at a close second. Yes, there are bad B&M's (mainly just the Standups for me). Intamin likes to take chances and, a lot of the time, they hit it off. B&M relies on the same formula for many of their rides and can feel repetitive. Their Hypers provide great airtime, and the old sit downs are forceful. I also have yet to get on a wing rider, but Gatekeeper will definitely be first. Intamin, though, has more of my favorite rides. I can also say Cedar Point has my favorite group of Intamins out of any other park.

I like Intamin the best because they like to push the envelope a bit more. B&M has built some great rides, but there's a "sameness" to them.

Edited by cfc

Why wouldn't I be an Arrow guy?

My first looping, inverted, hyper, 4D, and mine train were all Arrow coasters.

And they pretty much invented the modern steel coaster.

And two of them are still on my Top Ten, where Intamin has one.

Well ya know, the overall opinion is their coasters are painful, slow and usually awkwardly designed

You are right though, they are coaster legends and their contributions are huge.

Nostalgia had me say B&M first but I had to give it to Intamin, CFC has a good point, there is a sameness to them and Intamin has taken the innovation lead recently. These B&M wingriders seem kinda like a gimmick to me. Maybe I'm wrong, and floorless was also a gimmick.

• 2 weeks later...

*Schwarzkopf* o/

I like the Schwarzkopf

In Mexico we have several Schwarzkopf:

-Thriller (Taz's Texas Tornado, Zonga, TSUNAMI) - Isla San Marcos, Aguascalientes.

407602_486028681430744_1178769300_n.jpg

-Dreier Looping (Triple Loop Coaster, Magnum Force, MONTAÑA INFINITUM) - La Feria, Mexico City.

430601_341346765898937_1973216717_n.jpg

-Shuttle Loop (Loop Laser, CASCABEL) - La Feria, Mexico City.

545049_377114578988822_1869730042_n.jpg

-Wiener Looping (The Bullet, UNKNOWN 2013) - Selva Mágica, Guadalajara.

541087_275054139280833_776557572_n.jpg

-Jet Star 3 (Glissade, TORNADO) - Selva Mágica, Guadalajara.

182097_430207727012840_1408983246_n.jpg

*Schwarzkopf* o/

En México tenemos algunas Schwarkzkopf:

-Thriller (Taz's Texas Tornado, Zonga, TSUNAMI) - Isla San Marcos, Aguascalientes.

-Dreier Looping (Triple Loop Coaster, Magnum Force, MONTAÑA INFINITUM) - La Feria, Ciudad de México.

-Shuttle Loop (Loop Laser, CASCABEL) - La Feria, Ciudad de México.

-Wiener Looping (The Bullet, UNKNOWN 2013) - Selva Mágica, Guadalajara.

-Jet Star 3 (Glissade, TORNADO) - Selva Mágica, Guadalajara.