TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Who will break 500 feet?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Premire could make a 500 Ft. tall coaster similar to their Mr. Freeze model but it doesn't look like that is something Premire would be doing. In fact I haven't seen a new Premire coaster in a couple of years now ... what happened to them

It will be Castles & Coasters building a 620ft Goudrix clone to scare everyone away from Phoinex so they can have their very own town! Just kidding! It will probably be Cedar Point building a 500ft hyper coaster.

Kevin"A 700ft Flashback could do it also"Bujold

I think Cedar Point will do it if they can find room for it on that peninsula. Although I would like to see a freakishly tall coaster like 400+ feet that has a lift hill with an elevator lift system like Millenium Force. That would be awesome. There is nothing like going up that lift hill and having enough time to think "Oh shit." When you ride a launched coaster you also don't have that awesome moment where you go from the lift and over the crest of the hill real slow... AMAZING. Could you just imagine being in the front row of a 450 ft. coaster while it was cresting the hill and you were staring stright down? Woah, I get chills just thinking about it!!! 8)

I've got one. YOu know how B+M went into this huge snit over the idea of a B+M giga? "We're not building a drop over 299 feet." Well, how about a terrain B+M looper that has no drop taller than 299', but is built so that it has a vertical spread of over 500'? I can just imagine... 250-foot zero-G roll...

I really think they're starting to reach their limits as far as building the support structure for these things.

I wouldn't doubt seeing a 500'+ drop mounted to an existing structure for support. The cost is just too great. There's going to be some point (maybe not 500') where they're just not going to be able to build a massive support structure for a ride.

I could see stratasphere in Vegas setting up a Intamin Rocket Coaster up the side of the tower from the base.

Use the record as noterity.

CP doesn't have the space and I think/hope learned it's lesson with MF and TTD, don't spend the money to have the record for 30 months at best. I see them going with more unqiue coasters like Beast, Son of Beast, Storm Runner etc - that will have staying power years after the record is done.

I could see stratasphere in Vegas setting up a Intamin Rocket Coaster up the side of the tower from the base.

There were plans to make a 700ft coaster off the side of the Stratosphere. You could hardly call it a coaster though, it was more of a really tall drop ride that curved over the strip in a fishhook shape. I don't know the specifics, but I believe the city voted it down either because it was too loud, or it was an eyesore.

There are pictures of it here...

http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/new2002.html

• 8 years later...

Thought it'd be cool to bump this thread.

Interesting to see that it has been almost 9 years since Kingda Ka opened and no other coaster has gone higher than it. I'm betting with the Polar Coaster we will finally see a coaster go over 500 feet. An Intamin Accelerator that goes over 500 feet would probably be uncomfortably fast.

While I think the Polar Coaster looks great I'd love to see a coaster with a 500 foot drop and I think Intamin is clearly capable of doing this with their rocket coasters. I think there are really only 2 factors holding people back on a coaster this large... cost (obviously) and fear of maintenance issues based on Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka's well documented issues in their first few seasons.

Also, the only companies I can see buying a coaster like this in the US are Six Flags and Cedar Fair. Six Flags has no reason to break their own record, and Cedar Fair would probably only put a coaster like this at Cedar Point and they already have Dragster.

There were plans to make a 700ft coaster off the side of the Stratosphere. You could hardly call it a coaster though, it was more of a really tall drop ride that curved over the strip in a fishhook shape. I don't know the specifics, but I believe the city voted it down either because it was too loud, or it was an eyesore.

There are pictures of it here...

http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/new2002.html

We kinda have our answer now. In reply to an earlier post yeah the original concept was really ugly. I think it would be cool though if they could install a drop ride onto each of the three main supports. It could be like they did to Super Man Escape from Krypton and Kingda Ka.

I don't think Intamin accelerators would be the best options for tallest coasters. Launch, to top hat, to 270 degree downward spiral, to optional hill, to brake run would be kind of redundant. If we do see something like it, then I'd expect it to be in the middle of nowhere like what Elissa said in one of the first pages.

If anything, I'd think that Vegas half-pipe idea (though placed somewhere else) would be the way to go on breaking the record. That or [begin Idea] go for the top hat (like Fahrenheit at Hershey), but have a cable lift to speed the train to the top (like I305) where it can go over said top hat and drop over the edge... or something. [/idea]

Outside of all of this, why go for tallest when we can go for longest again?!

While I think the Polar Coaster looks great I'd love to see a coaster with a 500 foot drop and I think Intamin is clearly capable of doing this with their rocket coasters. I think there are really only 2 factors holding people back on a coaster this large... cost (obviously) and fear of maintenance issues based on Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka's well documented issues in their first few seasons.

Also, the only companies I can see buying a coaster like this in the US are Six Flags and Cedar Fair. Six Flags has no reason to break their own record, and Cedar Fair would probably only put a coaster like this at Cedar Point and they already have Dragster.

why a rocket coaster? seems like the cable lift is more cost effective and more reliable. not that there haven't been breakdowns, but it just seems like a much simpler mechanism overall, and it's not like they can't build a cable long or strong enough.

^That's what I was thinking. Also, as LSM are usually quite reliable why not building a launched ride that uses those? I've noticed most of them don't exceed 70-75 mph but would it be so ridiculously expensive to build and run one that it wouldn't be worth it?

Or maybe that technology simply isn't prepared for that yet.