TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Are we getting soft that many of us are claiming that Banshee can beat people up pretty badly? Or that Diamondback is getting rough?

This! I totaled 11 rides on Banshee at media day, and in row 8 there was the SLIGHTEST bit of rattling, but in no way shape or form did it make the ride uncomfortable. It was more of "hmmmm I feel a tiny rattle, oh well I'm going to keep enjoying this ride now!"

This. I think it's a great ride that the park really really needed. I rode it 8 times on Media Day and came to the same conclusion. My only thought being is that that is how some B&Ms feel after they have been running a few years. Not on a brand new coaster. But it's not horrible, and unless your marathoning the heck outta the ride, it won't ruin your skeletal structure like other coasters would. Cough (Son of Beast) cough!

Are we getting soft that many of us are claiming that Banshee can beat people up pretty badly? Or that Diamondback is getting rough?

In particular, I have ridden Diamonback in a whole variety of rows in 2009, 2011, and 2014 and the changes are microscopic at most. Banshee on Media Day and the day after was just fine whether it was inside, outside, near the front, or near the back. Of course the back has a little more vibration, but that is to be expected on most coasters with a decently long train. Never would I say any of these B&Ms were painfullly rough or the least bit uncomfortable. If we really want to, we can petition KI to trim the hell out of Banshee and Diamondback so they run nice and controlled as Silver Bullet does, and we can all complain that B&M still makes forceless coasters.

Nooo. It does not beat people up. But it's a bummer that it has a very noticeable rattle, not as harsh as Gatekeeper, but still. It's more than a vibration though, I'm sorry to say. And I'd take a bit of roughness over a lack of force any day.

Rode with Zach a bit monday. Enough to make my ride count 100 before heading to CP for 2 days. There is a rattle but its not bad. Row 4 is bad and 7 to an extent are the two harshest rows. They do change quite a bit varying on row, as odd as that is.

A lot of the B&M inverts that are still perfectly smooth are significantly shorter than Banshee, while Alpengeist, which is comparable in height, is quite rattly. Was there ever a time when Alpengeist was smooth? I'm wondering if maybe there is something specific to large inverts that makes them prone to rattling, rather than it being some kind of engineering oversight on B&M's part.

A lot of the B&M inverts that are still perfectly smooth are significantly shorter than Banshee, while Alpengeist, which is comparable in height, is quite rattly. Was there ever a time when Alpengeist was smooth? I'm wondering if maybe there is something specific to large inverts that makes them prone to rattling, rather than it being some kind of engineering oversight on B&M's part.

Both Montu and Katun are quite long and I don't think they have a rattle, so I don't really know what it could be.

Both Montu and Katun are quite long and I don't think they have a rattle, so I don't really know what it could be.

Both yes and no. I rode Katun back in 2005, they were running two trains and there was a very significant difference between the trains. One was perfectly smooth, while the other train was shaking quite a bit, and it made a clear difference in ride quality. I assume this is a question of maintenance, and how this applies to a brand new ride like Banshee I'm not sure about...

Maybe it's just Kings Island because Diamondback was horrid last time I rode it, to the point where I would be willing to skip it when I'm there again in a month. Or it's an issue with the new B&M train style(s).

Any idea what train was going this? Nitro at Great Adventure is having the same issue this year with train C. The other 2 trains are smooth as glass and that train is unimaginably bumpy and uncomfortable.

I'm only asking so I can avoid that train when I'm at the park.

^I was there two years ago, and it didn't matter what train it was - every one of my five laps over two different days was headache-inducing. I've heard similar things about the other staggered-row trains being rougher than their predecessors as well, but for every person who says so you'll get another who claims the ride is smooth as glass 110% of the time.

Alpengeist was quite smooth when it first opened and a couple years at least after that. The last time I rode was in '08 and was quite bumpy then.

I imagine what could cause rides to become rougher more easily would be the stress the trains are put through during ride cycles, which is related to intensity and we have some batman clones that are still running silky smooth after around two decades of operation. I'm not an engineer and I don't really know what can cause it as we have these strange examples like kingda ka, which, for some reason, was always rougher than TTD.

Anyway, if it is possible, I really hope this goes away (or at least decreases) on banshee as it seems to be a pretty good ride.

Banshee reminds me of Tatsu.

Tatsu is a terrain-based coaster, as is Banshee. Tatsu ends with a large pretzel-loop, in-line roll, and carousel before exiting the cliff. Banshee has a large batwing, followed by a carousel, and in-line roll before exiting the cliff/hill. Both took a rather bland concept (flying coasters / forceless inverts) and turned them into something extraordinary. Terrain coasters are B&Ms calling!

Count me in the Banshee fan club! Just rode it for the first time today. Man, it's intense! I knew it would be good, but I didn't think it would be this good. It was pretty cold today, so it was crawling through the course during morning testing, but once it warmed up a bit, it was giving some great rides! I can't wait to see how it performs when the temperatures get warmer!

Yes, the rattle is definitely there. The only place it really bothered me at all was the back row, everywhere else was tolerable. The speed and massive loops more than make up for the vibration. Despite the roughness in the back row, My two favorite moments on the ride are in the back. First, back row far right on the first drop, you get some really cool airtime followed by a super quick twist in the drop. My other favorite moment is the drop following the zero-g roll. Again same seat, you get pulled out, and then floored by the powerful g's as the drop bottoms out.

I think Montu might still be my favorite invert, but Banshee comes in a VERY close second. Seriously a great ride. Also, there was barely anyone here today, so I probably rode around 20 times. I just couldn't stay away!

I imagine what could cause rides to become rougher more easily would be the stress the trains are put through during ride cycles, which is related to intensity and we have some batman clones that are still running silky smooth after around two decades of operation. I'm not an engineer and I don't really know what can cause it as we have these strange examples like kingda ka, which, for some reason, was always rougher than TTD.

Anyway, if it is possible, I really hope this goes away (or at least decreases) on banshee as it seems to be a pretty good ride.

I think you also have to take in account the steel itself. Over time, steel can stretch, bend and deform. even a small flat spot could cause major bumps. Also, the wear on the wheels has a large impact.

Since opening day they've had a promotional truck blocking the entrance of Drop Tower which hasn't been open once. Today it looks like there's some activity in the ride area and the truck has been moved. Hopefully this is a good sign.

I think you also have to take in account the steel itself. Over time, steel can stretch, bend and deform. even a small flat spot could cause major bumps. Also, the wear on the wheels has a large impact.

Yes, that's right. But those are all things that come with age and that makes it a bit weird that new rides like banshee have some rattle issues while some quite older ones (also manufactured by B&M, and, probably, with less sophisticated technology) are still running very smoothly.

Since opening day they've had a promotional truck blocking the entrance of Drop Tower which hasn't been open once. Today it looks like there's some activity in the ride area and the truck has been moved. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Someone a while back on this forum mentioned that they heard a June reopening is likely. When in June and how credible this info is, is still up in the air.

Yes, that's right. But those are all things that come with age and that makes it a bit weird that new rides like banshee have some rattle issues while some quite older ones (also manufactured by B&M, and, probably, with less sophisticated technology) are still running very smoothly.

You are correct, but there are so many numbers of things that could be in play.......wheel compound, alignment of wheels to track, spacing between wheels and track, track itself, alignment of seat supports to car structure.......I mean there are probably over 100 variables that could be in play to cause the rattle. Who knows what it is, but does it really affect the enjoyment of the ride that much?

Remember that most of the rattling is from the wheel covers. You can watch them bang around while riding. The lesser chatter is wheels and track.
Actually, Wheel/Bogie Covers and Wheel Housings do not contact the Rails. The "B&M Rattle," as people call it, is caused by Wheel Wear (Nicks and Cuts on the Surface of the Wheels) and the Wear of the Rubber Shock Absorbers in the Bogie.

Out of curiosity what is King Island's rain policy? Is it as ridiculous as Cedar Point's?

We're planning on going next weekend and while it's way too early to expect an accurate forecast I thought it would be good information to know before booking a hotel.