TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Love the starkness of the Comet! Really miss the Rotor....why can't they make some sort of comeback??? Small parks coud benefit from them.

Also, as if one Toboggan isn't bad enough, let's put two of them side by side......maybe if one was looping it wouldn't be so bad!!!!

Hersheypark is the only park ive ever ridden a coaster in. Mainly because most of my life i was too afraid of the height. When i was younger i had a one year where i rode coasters in our yearly trip to hershey, about two years later we stopped going and i had since then stopped doing it. Love Hershey love the fact that the soaker is on out, love all the theories, love that it probably will expand. Big fan of the Wild Mouse relocation idea i found to expand the water park. Miss Canyon river so much.

Only Coasters ive ever ridden were that year, and this year when for the second time me and my friends went up, last year a physics class trip this year a post senior year trip. Its only an hour or so away so hopefully we will continue this each summer between college end and start, might try to convince them to do it more than once, and perhaps try out Great America or Great Adventure as i have always been a fan of Six Flags though have never been. (Big Roller Coaster Tycoon nerd where most of my roller coaster love basis is)

Anywho i actually got on skyrush this year, the day i got back on a coaster for about the first time in around 10 years. Just got to remember to get on Comet or SDL before everything else to get myself in the right mind. Or Trailblazer, i actually went on that during one of my scared years.

What coasters i have gone on in order of favoritism

Great Bear

Skyrush

Lightning Racer

Storm Runner

Comet

Superdooperlooper

Wild Mouse

Trailblazer

Never went on Roller Soaker cause i have always felt it lame even though it wasnt that bad, Sidewinder scared me and then my friends dont like it, Wildcat was just generally not one of my favorite rides to look at, and Fahrenheit i was told not to go onto due to the degree of fall and my medical condition which we found odd at the park that day that i was allowed to go on Storm Runner...

Also im a big guy so every time i think about my next hershey trip i start to work out more. lol. Only one i was close to not being able to ride was the Racer and Comet was uncomfortable, and my favorite Great Bear had to be pushed in...Oh well if only i had started riding after my first season of football when i was the lightest i have been in a while. Anywho just telling you.

Great picture find, deguy123. Thanks for posting them. I remembering hearing just a couple reports from coaster friends about what Comet is like with no brakes. It's too bad most of us will never experience that - but it's still a GREAT fun coaster. I've only been to Hersheypark 3 or 4 times, and no matter what, Comet always has a line. Very grateful they have kept the old buzzbars...

Love the starkness of the Comet! Really miss the Rotor....why can't they make some sort of comeback??? Small parks coud benefit from them.

Also, as if one Toboggan isn't bad enough, let's put two of them side by side......maybe if one was looping it wouldn't be so bad!!!!

I wish midway america or something would go towards more actual midway rides like Gravitron, Round up excetera and add such somewhere in the park. Some of my favorite rides are flats that are known as carnival and fair like rides. Especially during my off heights days.

^Even as a flat ride fan, I could care less, since I don't like the way several of the flats at Hershey are run.

Also, great pics, Chris! I always thought Comet looked so nice and classic with its white paint, but now I see it also looked right at home in the park with unpainted wood.

This has probably been asked before, but are Hersheypark scrapping the Roller Soaker or selling it, as they appear to be taking it down very carefully!

It's being recycled and isn't going to another park.

Got on it a couple of times this past summer when the wait would be only around 15 minutes (which the line would be on the otherside of the turnstyles). For my last ride, about 3 days before Labor Day, I waited 45 minutes (3/4ths of the way through the switchback area in the station).

I know I'm late but I was reading through some of the discussion about Skyrush on this thread and thought of some things to contribute. I rode it twice last season, definitely a great addition to a park I've been going to every year since I was a child.

1. The ride is great, but definitely painful. I rode it before and after they added padding to the restraints. It helped, but I agree with the idea that it's a combination of where the restraints are holding you in (too far down on your leg), the shape and angle of the restraints, and the fact that they grow tighter and tighter as the ride goes. Simply adding more padding isn't going to fix this. I didn't find El Toro to be painful at all so I know they can do better.

2. These are just my observations, but on both my visits I actually found the reaction to the ride among the general public to be pretty negative (complaints not just about thigh pain, but about whiplash from the lateral forces and overall intensity). I don't think people were expecting what they got, and the numerous signs added to the queue between my first and second visits warning about how intense the ride is would seem to support this. I doubt even Hershey knew what they were really getting when they built it. I'm very glad this ride exists, but I think it was marketed very poorly. Advertisements emphasized the new winged seats and the "great view" they offer, and nothing was mentioned about how intense the ride is (trust me, when you ride it, the winged seats are the last thing on your mind). Even the name "Skyrush" doesn't convey the ride's angry, aggressive nature. When a ride is that far beyond anything else in the park (and most other coasters period) in terms of forces, couldn't the advertising make that just a little bit clearer, that it may not be for everyone? Hershey did its guests a big disservice this season. I think a lot of people were expecting a ride like Nitro with gentle, rolling hills, not the kind of insane ejector "air-time" the ride offers. Some may disagree, but this is the only coaster I've ever ridden that felt like it was actively trying to kill me, so I simply think a darker, more "violent" brand carried by coasters like the Beast or Steel Force would've been warranted.

Adding to this problem is that from the ground, it doesn't look very intimidating. I thought it was funny reading arguments over whether or not the ride "looked" 200 feet tall, but it's true, the shape of the lift hill plus the lack of supports providing any kind of visual reference tricks the eye into thinking it's shorter than it is (and the train seems to make it to the top so quickly...). Then when you see the hills that come after it, they look very short and gentle as well. The height of those hills is the very reason the ride is so intense, but most people probably wouldn't think that. I think Hershey simply set itself up for a lot of complaints with this ride, and I'll be very interested to see how public opinion evolves over time, especially if they manage to actually fix the restraints (though I don't think any restraint will ever make the ride completely pain-free). There seems to be a lot more people on the internet saying it's one of the best rides ever, though I don't imagine a lot of the ones I saw complaining would tend to post about it on the internet, so who's to say.

3. I doubt Hershey will trim the speed any. The whole ride from the top of the first hill to the brake run is about 45 seconds long. If they neuter any of those insane forces, there will be practically no reason to ride it, and I think they know that. Already there's a sense of "what the hell just happened?" after it's done, and without the intensity it would just be "what the hell just happened, where was the coaster?" At the most I could see them slowing the lift down, but even that would be a mighty shame.

4. I've noticed a lot of seasoned coaster buffs here and elsewhere saying that they felt for a split second like they might actually come out of the train. Isn't that incredible? After riding some of the craziest coasters ever built, here's one that actually FEELS unsafe, even though we all know that it is. That's why I think Sky Rush gets better upon repeat rides, and also why so many people will either love it or hate it. There's something about it that's genuinely unsettling. Coasters are usually a bit like scary movies. You may feel scared, but in the back of your mind you know that sitting in the movie theater, you're safe. That axe-wielding madman isn't going to come through the screen and kill you. Atop a roller coaster you feel like you're plunging through the air towards certain death, but in the back of your mind you know you're all strapped in and the designers have taken every precaution to ensure your safety. But that first ride on Sky Rush, you could swear the designers slipped up. Your body is whipping around too freely, you're too exposed, this thing at your thighs isn't holding you in where you're used to being held, the forces are too strong. This can't possibly be safe. Nothing can prepare you for that first ride. Then you ride it again, and again, and you realize you ARE safe, you're simply riding one of the most incredible coasters ever built. But that intensity is bound to make it a polarizing experience.

Ok, now about things completely unrelated to Sky Rush:

1. I want to stick up for guest operations at Hershey! Sure there are a few rides, particularly Storm Runner and ESPECIALLY Fahrenheit whose lines move at a pace best described as sailing-stones-in-the-desert slow, but for every bad experience I've had two more where lines move lickety-split and the employees are friendly and caring. I mean come on, compare it to Six Flags Great Adventure and it's a veritable Disney World.

2. I'm very proud to say that I've never ridden the water coaster and I'm not sorry it's gone. In fact, if they were to nuke the whole water park from orbit I'd be ecstatic. I generally think water parks and theme parks shouldn't mix, and the way Hershey did it, all that exposed cellulite and jiggling midriffs marring the center of that whole half of the park, is incredibly obnoxious.

3. I love Wildcat. I don't understand how any coaster fan wouldn't love that crazy, out-of-control kind of experience. My last ride on it seemed to suggest they weren't maintaining it very well (I like my woodies rough, but there was definitely a sharp bump somewhere near the end that was simply uncalled for), but short lines or no lines mean lots of repeat rides, although the lack of popularity makes me fear for its future. I'm honestly surprised its lasted this long, I just really hope whatever guardian angel is watching over it doesn't die or get outvoted any time soon.

4. The Reese's Cup Challenge dark ride is an abomination, like every other "interactive" dark ride I've ever been on. The fact that they could use this space, spend LESS money, and make an old-fashioned dark ride a la Knoabel's Haunted Mansion eats away at my very soul, as does every ride of this nature across the nation. Even Disney couldn't make these stupid things fun.

^ I could not agree with you more on most of the topics you brought up.

Honestly though, I do not think Sky Rush is anymore rough then say Intimidator. I like a coaster with abrupt quick turns and I love the feeling that I am going to fall out even though I know I am not. Also I found the restraints comfortable. I felt almost no pain and any that I felt was gone by the next ride I was on. You're right it does not look intimidating at all and that is one thing about it I love. The 2 times I was there this summer the general public LOVED it. There were many many many re rides from people. I know this because I kept seeing the same people ride it because I rode it several times myself both days I was there.

I do agree with Wildcat - definitely one of my fave wooden coasters and I do not find it too rough at all. I prefer woodies to be rough honestly. Just not too rough like say Predator at Darien Lake or Wild Beast at Canada's Wonderland.

I LOVE they finally opened a water park. Could they improve? Yes, but they are still fairly new to the water park side of things and they will learn what works and what doesn't.

YES!!! I agree with the Reese's ride!!! Such a bad ride.

I doubt even Hershey knew what they were really getting when they built it.

Hersheypark knew exactly what they were getting when building Skyrush.

They might have known what they were getting in terms of the ride, but not what the public reaction would be. You can't measure customer reaction with any CAD program.

I doubt even Hershey knew what they were really getting when they built it.

Hersheypark knew exactly what they were getting when building Skyrush.

They might have known what they were getting in terms of the ride, but not what the public reaction would be. You can't measure customer reaction with any CAD program.

True but i still think its everything they were hoping for. In one interview with Kent Bachmann I remember he said Skyrush was aimed towards a "high intensity ride"(More like an awsome death trap) He felt they had a good reputation of family type rides and it was time to pleasure the crazy people(US). Skyrush was more than what i expected in terms of forces but its a kick a$$ ride! Most of the general public dont like rougher more intense rides hence why no one goes on Wildcat anymore and people complain about Skyrush lapbars. But all in all I think once the ride is adjusted(Station &Lapbars) it will become more appealing to the public.

Skyrush was more than what i expected in terms of forces

Doesn't this prove that it was more than the park was hoping for in terms of forcefulness?

Im saying "I" was surprised by how extreme the ejector airtime is, the park and Intamin(engineers) knew it would be like that since they designed it and tested it. Or by what you said you mean on the lapbar issue with how forcefull people claim it to be. To behonest i never had and pain for the lapbar or discomfort.

Skyrush was more than what i expected in terms of forces

Doesn't this prove that it was more than the park was hoping for in terms of forcefulness?

Im saying "I" was surprised by how extreme the ejector airtime is, the park and Intamin(engineers) knew it would be like that since they designed it and tested it. Or by what you said you mean on the lapbar issue with how forcefull people claim it to be. To behonest i never had and pain for the lapbar or discomfort.

Ah got it. It was difficult to differentiate exactly where you were quoting a park official and editorializing.

• 2 weeks later...