TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Just sucks that SeaWorld has to go through all this...

Sad thing is people fail to realize all the good Sea World does for the environment and especially wildlife. I think it's fair to say they are one of the best companies for this.

Yeah, I wish someone would now make a documentary about all the good SeaWorld Parks do for the wildlife but that would never sell. I haven't listen to Barenaked Ladies since they had that one hit song that was out for like a week. (see what I did) Seriously, I had no idea they were even still a band.

It wouldn't surprise me if Bare Naked Ladies did this just to get more press. Honestly it's working because if they did play no one would have heard about it.

Stupid publicity stunt.

Agreed. The band has played at Busch parls before... so guess they rely on movies to figure out what to believe in? The sad/ironic thing is CNN is the news outlet that picked up the story first... Who released Blackfish? CNN.

It probably is a whole different debate (that I don't want to start) but their was a great op-ed recently in the Orlando paper how with a major news outlet behind the documentary it seems to strangely stir up news stories (which can mention the movie) any time buzz starts to fade off.

The 'good news' is that the average American seems to have a short term memory. Once the next big thing comes along for them to protest, they will move on and forget about this.

EXACTLY! Let's just hope that happens pretty soon...

Too bad about all the bad coverage. Luckily, it shouldn't affect attendance too much to become a very significant problem for the park. I was happy seeing in someone's TR about pro-SeaWorld people with signs encouraging the park on the same spot as the protesters, kind of like payback against the people who didn't like SeaWorld.

I watched Blackfish at the request of a friend and I have to say even if everything in that film was 100% true I'd still go to SeaWorld. The trainers all seemed to be trained and management seemed to take safety really seriously.

In an alternate universe where SeaWorld did not have Killer Whales some activist group would be protesting claiming they were not doing enough to raise awareness about marine-life.

Also, BNL not performing is not big loss. This is coming from somebody who does enjoy their music.

Visited SeaWorld last Saturday and had a great time. These are some notes:

3. The employees are nice, but I had one encounter that kind of made me a little annoyed. While waiting for Manta to reopen after a short breakdown, an employee decided to bring up the Texas Giant incident. I'm paraphrasing what he said, but it pretty much went like this: "Our bosses are always telling us to double check...she went straight down that 400 foot drop straight down out of the train... at first I was confused as to why they had to shut down a whole area because of it. Some of her was over there, there, there, there, it was everywhere!" I felt he had no respect for this poor lady and it was just stupid to talk like that about a roller coaster incident to people who were about to board one. I did not report the incident or say anything to him about it, but I feel like I should have.

Hmmmmm... This was a 16-year-old. Wasn't it? I would say just go ahead and say something next time. When you go back home it's likely you and him will never be in contact ever again.

I don't think the Barenaked Ladies dropping out is that big of a loss. Sea World is a family park and I don't think many families were dying to see them.

Hmmmmm... This was a 16-year-old. Wasn't it? I would say just go ahead and say something next time. When you go back home it's likely you and him will never be in contact ever again.

He was in the 20-24 year old range. He said something about being there since the opening of Manta. But it doesn't really matter anymore since our visit was 4 months ago.

Would be hilarious if they ended up getting Hootie and the Blowfish

Or

Seal

The Wailers

Freelance Whales

The Hippos

Phish

Badfish

Great White

The Eels

Reel Big Fish

Fishbone

Country Joe and the Fish

Fish

Howard Fishman Quartet

Lake Trout

The Coral

Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band

Man of War

Leftover Salmon

Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel

Lance Bass

I watched Blackfish at the request of a friend and I have to say even if everything in that film was 100% true I'd still go to SeaWorld. The trainers all seemed to be trained and management seemed to take safety really seriously.

In an alternate universe where SeaWorld did not have Killer Whales some activist group would be protesting claiming they were not doing enough to raise awareness about marine-life.

Also, BNL not performing is not big loss. This is coming from somebody who does enjoy their music.

Who remembers the movie "Free Willy"? Wasn't one of the goals of that movie to draw awareness to Keiko the killer whale, who was actually in that movie, and actually held in what's now Six Flags Mexico's dolphin tank? I seem to remember that movie doing wonders for the cause of whale conservation back in the 90s. A lot of it had to do with how its message was primarily positive, while also being slightly cornball.

It's too bad Blackfish's writers didn't try to succeed in a similar way, but their rigid ideology could not have allowed them to. If they didn't like trainers in the water with killer whales, they'd probably have a stroke over a kid swimming around with a killer whale. It's too bad. I remember Free Willy's honey winning a lot more flies then than Blackfish's vinegar is now. For that same reason, I believe, people are going to have completely forgotten Blackfish while Free Willy will still stick with them.

SeaWorld Orlando has announced they are closing Shamu stadium in early January 2014, not scheduled to re-open until the week of April 7. During that time, they’ll be conducting “routine maintenance on the main performing pool,” according to spokesperson Susan Flower.

Despite a big backlash following the widespread airing of the highly critical documentary “Blackfish,” the upcoming updates are said to be unrelated. However, they are affording SeaWorld an opportunity to fine tune their killer whale interactions and educational programs.

“While our signature killer whale show, One Ocean and Dine With Shamu won’t be available during that time, our guests and fans will see all-new, above and underwater interactions and sessions with killer whales at our new experience called Shamu Up Close,” wrote Flower in a provided statement.

“Throughout each day, guests can experience enhanced presentations designed to give them new and different glimpses into training techniques and the amazing relationships our trainers have with the killer whales. It’s an opportunity to get even closer to SeaWorld’s killer whales and learn more about these unique animals.”

Source

Not a huge loss IMO. The Shamu show wasn't really that impressive when I saw it in 2012. I'm hoping the park can use this downtime to tweak/improve and bring the show up to par with the both indoor shows (Pets and A'lure) and the dolphin show.

- I was FAR more impressed with the park's other shows than I was with the Shamu one, which was a pretty big disappointment.

I think the "Blackfish" producers need to go to Marineland at Canada. With all the reports I've been hearing about sad-looking aninals and habitats that need fixing up, I think they would have a field day.

I've been hearing things about Sea World abusing animals for years. So does Sea World abuse their animals? Let me share you a story...years ago, I took a behind-the-scenes tour of "Saving a Species." We got to see the backstage area where the park rescues and cares for injured animals. During the tour, we passed by a dolphin pool. When we weren't near the pool. the dolphins just swam around and chilled out. When we walked next to the pool, the dolphins suddently became lively. They were jumping out of the water near us and became really active. When we left the area, the dolphins went back to swimming around. Now I've seen abused animals. They tend to shy away from any contact and try to get away from you. Maybe the dolphins were hungry and looking for fish, but I think they were 100% well-cared for and pampered.

I think the "Blackfish" producers need to go to Marineland at Canada. With all the reports I've been hearing about sad-looking aninals and habitats that need fixing up, I think they would have a field day.

I've been hearing things about Sea World abusing animals for years. So does Sea World abuse their animals? Let me share you a story...years ago, I took a behind-the-scenes tour of "Saving a Species." We got to see the backstage area where the park rescues and cares for injured animals. During the tour, we passed by a dolphin pool. When we weren't near the pool. the dolphins just swam around and chilled out. When we walked next to the pool, the dolphins suddently became lively. They were jumping out of the water near us and became really active. When we left the area, the dolphins went back to swimming around. Now I've seen abused animals. They tend to shy away from any contact and try to get away from you. Maybe the dolphins were hungry and looking for fish, but I think they were 100% well-cared for and pampered.

They should also visit the Zebras at Animal Kingdom... Oops, never mind.

Ugh....

ORLANDO, Fla. -

Less than two weeks after SeaWorld announced country music legend Willie Nelson would be kicking off the marine park's annual food and music festival, a representative for Nelson confirms he will not be performing at SeaWorld Orlando.

Nelson's departure from the 2014 "Bands, Brew, and BBQ" schedule comes days after Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies cancelled their concert at the marine park, citing concerns raised by the documentary "Blackfish".

Nelson had been slated to perform at SeaWorld on February 1st. "Due to a scheduling conflict, Willie Nelson will not be appearing at Bands, Brew, and BBQ," said SeaWorld spokesman Nick Gollattscheck.

Nelson's publicist, Elaine Schock, acknowledged the singer is no longer scheduled to perform at SeaWorld but did not provide a reason why. Schock would not confirm there was a scheduling conflict, telling Local 6 she did not know the reason Nelson's concert date was changed.

On Nov. 27, Barenaked Ladies announced it was cancelling its appearance at the same music and food festival. The band said they made their decision after viewing "Blackfish", a documentary that criticizes SeaWorld and the captive whale industry.

"This is a complicated issue, and we don't claim to understand all of it, but we don't feel comfortable proceeding with the gig at this time," the band wrote on their website. "The Seaworld folks have been gracious , and extended us invitations to the park to learn more about what they do, and how they do it."

A fan of Barenaked Ladies started a petition on Change.org urging the band to see the documentary and "learn how SeaWorld and other captive display facilities such as Marineland in Niagara Falls have for decades exploited marine mammals solely for profit."

A similar online petition urging Nelson to "respect animals" and cancel his SeaWorld appearance had gained nearly 9,000 signatures as of Thursday afternoon.

Other acts scheduled to perform at the 2014 "Bands, Brew, and BBQ" fest include Cheap Trick, REO Speedwagon, Scotty McCreery, and Martina McBride. All of their official websites indicate they are still planning to appear at the marine park.

www.clickorlando.com/news/willie-nelsons-seaworld-concert-canceled/-/1637132/23341472/-/glet8t/-/index.html

I think Sy-Fy should make a movie where the killer whales, sharks and dolphins of Sea World all rise up in a tornado and eat the naysayers, online petitioners & PETA.

The grand finale will be Shamu eating the Bare Naked Ladies while the dolphins balance their heads on their noses while the audience cheers in delight.

I'd probably pay to go see it...

It's so annoying to see all of this. The documentary is a one sided account and people feel they have been given a balanced view of the situation. Someone who really card about the subject would research the other side of the story.

Hopefully they can get other acts who aren't so prone to knee-jerk reactions to perform instead.