TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

remove Thunder Road and add nothing

In the last 2 years this park has doubled the size of their water park, totally re-done the front gate and added one of the best coasters in the world and a cool new interactive attraction and next year they're adding 5 new rides including an awesome top scan.

To do all of that, they've removed one very mediocre wood coaster with no historical value. That's it... and crappy Go Karts but they added a much better up charge slingshot.

People will complain about anything I swear...

I'm planning a trip to the park on Friday, 04/29/16. I'm going to process my first ever CF Platnum pass at the park and I was curious at how much of a hassle it is. Will I have to wait in long lines to get it processed? I remember when I used to have a SFSTL season pass the lines could get well over an hour long at times. Is it better to do this first thing, or wait a bit?

Also, I'm assuming the crowds will be on the lighter side since it's a Friday and school should still be in session for a few more weeks. I almost always get a fast lane pass when I visit CF parks, but will it be likely that I even need one on this day or will it be a massive waste of money to order it in advance?

Thanks,

Zach

I'm planning a trip to the park on Friday, 04/29/16. I'm going to process my first ever CF Platnum pass at the park and I was curious at how much of a hassle it is. Will I have to wait in long lines to get it processed? I remember when I used to have a SFSTL season pass the lines could get well over an hour long at times. Is it better to do this first thing, or wait a bit?

Also, I'm assuming the crowds will be on the lighter side since it's a Friday and school should still be in session for a few more weeks. I almost always get a fast lane pass when I visit CF parks, but will it be likely that I even need one on this day or will it be a massive waste of money to order it in advance?

Thanks,

Zach

The process shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes. That is unless a few thousand people happen to show up at the exact moment you arrive to also have their passes processed. Most of the people there on that day might be school groups anyway as that is likely an education day. I went the first week of June last year to process mine ant it was about 5 minutes from entering to exiting with pass in hand. They had several people working in there.

As far as Fast Lane, I would wait until you get to the park and get a feel of the crowds. I doubt you will need one. When I went in June (while school was still in session), the lines were no more than 10-15 minutes, except for Nighthawk.

^I really don't have much interest in going back to Carowinds this year since all they really did in terms of why I go is remove Thunder Road and add nothing, but that menu is making me reconsider! That sounds wonderful.

13000768.gif

You really feel the park added NOTHING this year?!?!?! If all you went to Carowinds for was for thunder road then there was the problem right there. But its nice to know that food would bring you back. Not Fury 325, not the water park expansion . . . but food.

You are taking my statement out of context. I said they didn't add anything this year in terms of what I go to the park for so for me it's just a downgrade from last year and I will probably wait until they add the new flats to go back. I'm completely aware of the aggressive expansion investments Cedar Fair is putting into the park.

remove Thunder Road and add nothing

In the last 2 years this park has doubled the size of their water park, totally re-done the front gate and added one of the best coasters in the world and a cool new interactive attraction and next year they're adding 5 new rides including an awesome top scan.

To do all of that, they've removed one very mediocre wood coaster with no historical value. That's it... and crappy Go Karts but they added a much better up charge slingshot.

People will complain about anything I swear...

You are also taking my statement out of context. Read the post as a whole, not just the bit you quoted, and it makes perfect sense. I said they haven't added anything this year that impacts what I go to the park for so I'll probably just wait until the flats come. I'm perfectly aware of the investments the park is making. Also I'm allowed to have a different opinion than you on Thunder Road. The first half of the ride was great.

^I really don't have much interest in going back to Carowinds this year since all they really did in terms of why I go is remove Thunder Road and add nothing, but that menu is making me reconsider! That sounds wonderful.

13000768.gif

You really feel the park added NOTHING this year?!?!?! If all you went to Carowinds for was for thunder road then there was the problem right there. But its nice to know that food would bring you back. Not Fury 325, not the water park expansion . . . but food.

You are taking my statement out of context. I said they didn't add anything this year in terms of what I go to the park for so for me it's just a downgrade from last year and I will probably wait until they add the new flats to go back. I'm completely aware of the aggressive expansion investments Cedar Fair is putting into the park.

I understand everyone has different opinions and I respect that. We all like different things etc etc... but lol what? Nobody in their right mind can say that a mediocre-at-best wood coaster (haven't ridden but Rebel Yell isn't good and supposedly Thunder Road was worse) is better than Fury. Hate B&M all you want but I don't understand this coming from someone on a coaster enthusiast forum that doesn't have some serious sentimental connection that I don't know about (and I'd love for you to explain this to me).

Or was it the mini golf? It's losing the mini golf, isn't it...

I understand everyone has different opinions and I respect that. We all like different things etc etc... but lol what? Nobody in their right mind can say that a mediocre-at-best wood coaster (haven't ridden but Rebel Yell isn't good and supposedly Thunder Road was worse) is better than Fury. Hate B&M all you want but I don't understand this coming from someone on a coaster enthusiast forum that doesn't have some serious sentimental connection that I don't know about (and I'd love for you to explain this to me).

This really shouldn't be so complicated, but let me explain on the OP's behalf.

Thunder Road was no amazing coaster by any means, but it WAS (arguably) the only good wooden coaster in the park. It had a (nearly) full re-tracking a few years ago, and it road great. Smooth, airtime, raced most cycles, etc. It was the kind of old school woodie that kept you out of your seat. It was just a FUN coaster. Losing Thunder Road was upsetting to people who would prefer roller coasters to water slides. Fury is irrelevant, it was last years addition and it had nothing to do with Thunder Road's closure.

They chose to demolish Thunder Road and use the space to revitalize the waterpark. That's all good and well, and for those of you who are into that, great, enjoy it! But it isn't a crime to prefer the old woodie to a waterpark expansion. The statement "they replaced a coaster I liked with something I'm not into, but the new food sounds good" shouldn't have been so upsetting.

I've never been to the water park, and I probably wont go this year, either. Curious about Plants VS. Zombies (haven't been (m)any reviews on here?). I'll share my thoughts on that and the food this weekend, should be fun, haven't been since closing weekend

I cant imagine how upset you would be if MIA, VF, Dorney, or SFA were your home park

13000768.gif

In other words, I respect your opinion...but...f*** your opinion. What he's trying to say is he goes to the park for roller coasters and thrill rides. If there are less coasters to ride, even if they aren't the best ones, he can't justify spending the same amount of money (or more) than last season for less of what he likes. He's voting with his wallet, like we all should.

But hey, be thankful Worlds of Fun isn't your homepark. They've taken two rides out in the last two years and we have nothing you would like in return (unless you love Planet Snoopy rides).

Thanks,

Zach

Yea you shouldn't have a problem getting your pass do processed. Majority of Carowinds pass holders are repeats and renew online which takes the need to go and a pass processed away being the card we used is reactivated. Also a majority got them processed before or on the Season Pass Preview night. So you should be able to walk right in and out.

Friday crowds will be light most likely, however as stated it may be an education day so many schools may be out that day just check the bus lot as you pull out of the parking toll booth.

As for plants vs. zombies...i thought it was rather boring, i felt like the gun didn't really connect as well. I felt like i was just pulling a trigger, not really shooting or hitting anything. But it's a nice escape from the sun, and its different. I'd probably play it again, just for the heck of it. Not that entertaining though!

Hi guys!

I'm planning to do my first visit to this park in mid June (has to be on a weekend). How the crowds should look? Any suggestions on how to start? Should I start with Fury or another ride? Should I buy Fast Lane in advance (at least for Saturday)?

Looking forward to ride Fury 325!

As for plants vs. zombies...i thought it was rather boring, i felt like the gun didn't really connect as well. I felt like i was just pulling a trigger, not really shooting or hitting anything. But it's a nice escape from the sun, and its different. I'd probably play it again, just for the heck of it. Not that entertaining though!

Do you think that Plants Vs. Zombies will be a short lived attraction at CW, or do you think it will be around for a while?

Hi guys!

I'm planning to do my first visit to this park in mid June (has to be on a weekend). How the crowds should look? Any suggestions on how to start? Should I start with Fury or another ride? Should I buy Fast Lane in advance (at least for Saturday)?

Looking forward to ride Fury 325!

Ride Intimidator before Fury. Riding Fury before Intimidator will ruin Intimidator for you. Since the ride's are so similar Fury really just took a giant crap on Intimidator. If you might not get Fastlane you should actually start with Nighthawk but with Fastlane it doesn't really matter. Nighthawk has atrocious capacity and the line doesn't move. Hit Ricochet early too, I don't believe it's on Fastlane and the line crawls.

And no, don't get the Fastlane ahead of time. You'll probably want it but it's so easy to grab at any retail shop you might as well wait just in-case very hot or a questionable weather forecast keeps people away.

Have fun! Fury deserves all of the hype it gets.

Do you think that Plants Vs. Zombies will be a short lived attraction at CW, or do you think it will be around for a while?

Since it's based on a trendy new video game it really depends on the longevity of the game. Personally I doubt it lasts very long.

i'll give it a few years, maybe 3...i just don't think its a big deal...a nice family attraction. Not something that i will look forward to doing during my visits.

My family and I will be at the park next weekend on the 15th and 16th. Anybody that's familiar with the area, will Spring Break still be going on in the North Carolina and South Carolina region? Hoping for lighter crowds, and that everybody has had their fun and gone back home or doing their last minute taxes with no time for fun. I know I ask for too much, but Spring Break crowds suck. Either way, we'll be at the park with or without the herd. As of right now, the long range forecast is looking pretty decent...So, yeah...Weather nice = Crap load of people. I guess we'll see.

My family and I will be at the park next weekend on the 15th and 16th. Anybody that's familiar with the area, will Spring Break still be going on in the North Carolina and South Carolina region? Hoping for lighter crowds, and that everybody has had their fun and gone back home or doing their last minute taxes with no time for fun. I know I ask for too much, but Spring Break crowds suck. Either way, we'll be at the park with or without the herd. As of right now, the long range forecast is looking pretty decent...So, yeah...Weather nice = Crap load of people. I guess we'll see.

Spring break is over in the area. Weekends this time of year tend to be busier because the water park isn't open yet. If the weather is expected to be nice it will be busy on Saturday. Sundays tend to be lighter, especially in the morning.