TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

NOOO!! They got the wrong coaster - Hurler is supposed to go, not Thunder Road. What a waste after rebuilding it a few years ago. There's enough space on the other side of the ride to build new attractions without ripping out Thunder Road.

So is this the end of County Fair? With a major ride being removed could that area be included in what will be "Soak City"? Afterburn is just outside of County Fair and Southern Star wouldn't need to be relocated.

I think the concept of the RMCing is coming from i think is that the contract they have with 6flags is up and also the verbiage being used in the annoucement "last race" which was used when Colossus was announced to take its last race before being transformed to twisted colossus. Then the word "retire" which was used in the closure announcement for mantis at Cedar Point. I could be wrong tho.

^^They do not have a "contract"with Six Flags. They've stated this themselves. When will this rumor ever end?

As for the coaster, as much as I'd LOVE to see it iron-horsed, I'm 99% certain that it's just being removed. So say your goodbyes, and get your last rides.

Very disappointing news.

A few years ago, we had the chance to ride it and had really enjoyed the ride. At least we will be able to ride it once more when we visit in July. Not sure that I agree with them getting rid of an iconic ride like this to add a few more waterslides.

Went to the park on Friday, a beautiful, though school-aged crowded day at the park. It was Education Day at the park and I was one of the many souls who volunteered as a chaperone on one of the field trips. We began our sojourn to Carolina border at 7 in the morning and arrived at the perfect timing of 10 am. By that point the bus parking lot was teeming with activity and general car parking slowly filling up. The bright side of younger audiences coming to amusement parks is often they will always go after the gimmicky rides first, leaving some of the fun and interesting ones to the rest of us. Downside is, dealing with the stupidity of younger children who have no business running around an amusement park unattended. Anyway, on to the TR....

When we got to the park the students I accompanied quickly dispersed (high school seniors) and I with two other chaperones began our day traversing the landscape. We first descended from the bus in the bus parking lot and found one heck of a new park entrance. The ride DOMINATES the front of the park, at first it was hard to notice the new front gate (without those god-awful metal detectors) with that HULKING coaster 'blocking' the view. We immediately entered the park and began our first ride decision. At first they wanted to ride Nighthawk but I quickly deterred them from waiting in an unnecessary 2 hour line (yes, all the way to the entrance...). I had my eye on the beats, Fury 325. One of my favorite coaster memories was riding Intimidator 305 and Millennium Force within a 12 hour period. I could not wait for my third Giga coaster. Ride entrance to Fury is eccentric, exciting and eye-poping with sharp lines of green and silver. Its theme is thorough through-out the queue line with the hexagon shapes found throughout many parts of the attraction. The ride design staff were able to accommodate many important guest satisfaction needs in the extended queue including a water fountain, ample and adequate shading, drink machines, TVs with park info programs blaring, and water misters with fans. All of these things combined made the one hour and five minute wait for the ride easier than it could be. Three things though about the ride which bothered me were the bag policy, the fluffy bunnies and loud lift motor. Fury is the ONLY attraction in the park which requires you to put you bags in a puffy hare before entering the line (the greeter will ask you to do so). Each rental is a reasonable $1 per hour. Also a one point in the line, you are right next to the lift motor in order to talk to one anOTHER YOU HAVE THE YELL TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS... chainsaw loud. No more qualms.

On to the ride!!! The ride has two safety harness systems (normal B&M restraint and seat belt) which is quickly checked and then dispatched. The lift speed begin slow then accelerates when the train is one-third the way up until the top. The train then immediately crests, giving you a great two-three second look at the city of Charlotte directly ahead of you (unlike the Intimidator which you have to turn around and look back in your seat while on the lift.). You then accelerate down the first drop and begin the hellacious course of twists and turns ahead. When coming into the park and see the train running during morning tests or with first riders its looks fast but not too fast. BUT mark my words this ride hauls major A$$!!!!!!! It reminds me of mix of the speed of Millennium Force with the fun twisting turns of Rougarou/Dominator. The ride effectively mixes diving turns, tunnels and some well place airtime hills at the end of the course for an exceptional well-rounded ride. I expected a ride with some less forceful elements based on my rides of Intimidator and GateKeeper but was surprised with what I now consider one of my favorite rides.

Does this mean that I recommend taking the time to drive 10,000 miles to Carowinds to conquer this giant? No, but if you find yourself in the area, I'd say its worth the time to stop by and pay homage to the unnamed coaster gods.

As for the rest of the day, operations were relatively slow on all rides expect their signature attractions (Afterburn, Intimidator, Fury). The line for Windseeker which at Kings Dominion or Canada's Wonderland would have been 15 minutes, was 34 unusual minutes of double checking restraints, odd "scans" and overall slow approach to the ride's operation. Thunder Road did not seem to be up on Friday (I never saw it running is what I mean) and I never took the time to ride Carolina Cobra, Nighthawk, Drop Tower, Scream Weaver...

To finish this post, Carowinds needs three things to be a more complete park: a larger water park (seems that it's already in the works), more signature flat rides (has an absence of high thrill flats like Huss Flatspin, Huss Giant Frisbee, S&S Swing [these are examples not suggestions]) and a better worker-guest interactions (I found myself mostly interacting with workers who seemed very unenthusiastic in their jobs). As a former amusement park worker, I have seen many people take the job to have some form of income but I feel that certain roles must be done in order to do certain jobs correctly. I would love to see the motivation and 'fun' that you get out of the worker you would see at Cedar Point, KI, KD and Canada's Wonderland at Carowinds one day. This is not to say that I did have good interactions with workers as their were a few golden eggs along with the pyrite ones...

I had a great day, a hope that this TR inspires other to make a trip down to experience a truly great coaster. I'm raising a cold one to Fury as a coaster that could redefine any park.

TL;DR: Ride Fury 325, its f*ing awesome!!!

That is awesome! I'm looking forward to my first trip to this park, and I was hoping Fury would be everything I like in MForce but with a little more to it, and that seems to be the case! What is the airtime like? I know there's not many hills, but I hear there's some airtime on many of the turns/twists.

August is set in stone but hey, like I said more time for the big 3 rides

For those who still need it:

Here is proof from RMC that there is no exclusive contract with Six Flags. I'm sure they already have contracts for several coasters to be done over a period of time and since they are still a relatively small company they can only do so many a year. I still wouldn't hold my breath for Thunder Road to get this treatment. If it does I'll be fine...actually I don't have a choice either way and will have to eventually accept it...lol

RMC Facebook Post

1492647537_RMCQuestion.jpg.175a6ee4255122d34c155d85ff9575c9.jpg

hoping Fury would be everything I like in MForce but with a little more to it, and that seems to be the case! What is the airtime like? I know there's not many hills, but I hear there's some airtime on many of the turns/twists.

The airtime is very B&Mish towards the back half (very comparable to ending of Nitro). The most surprising element of airtime is in the Treble Clef turn....

When I compared it to Millennium Force, I was referring to the slowly twisting and high speed overbank turns. BTW, there is an amazing "hand-chopper" about 2/3 into the ride that got me both times I rode it.

Last, I had some people ask me for a i305/f325 comparison...

Best Drop --> i305

Best Element -->f325 (Treble Clef Turn)

Best Airtime --> i305

Best Feeling of Speed --> f325 (even though 305 is faster)

I like Fury as a better coaster because it focuses on mixing up its elements where as i305 is BANG BANG BANG done... I like Fury because it gives a longer lasting impression.

This seems to be the thought everywhere, but I just aerial viewed the park and the coaster pretty much hugs the perimeter of the park with the parking lot right up next to it. Doesn't seem like much of any kind of room for any type of waterpark expansion????

They can more than triple the water park with the land available over there. I doubt the grassy/tree area would be used but there is a lot of space to work with. I just wish they'd keep Thunder Road and build on the other side with a path underneath.

[attachment=0]CW2016.bmp[/attachment]

My money is on a expansion of the parking and a water park expansion. I wonder if they are going to turn it into a soak city with a separate admission trying to be in line with its sister of the North Cedar Point. That is the only way I can think of justifying making such a super big water park expansion.

I am here at Carowinds for the weekend and we rode both sides of Thunder Road because

A. I've never been to Carowinds (I am on of those people North Carolina was banking on that would come from far and wide to ride a new giga)

B. I heard that rumor that they were getting a new water park expansion to cap off that 50 million dollars commitment that the Cedar Fairs made to Charlotte and tearing down TR which doesn't make sense to me because why couldn't they just build an entrance through the ride.

C. I thought i would not add it to my coaster count with out riding both sides.

This is sad now Carowinds goes back to 13 coasters.

And all the Carowinds fans down in Charlotte will all cry, "Boo Hoo."

MattOuiment.gif.8f2810c113c4601c95bbbb635aa5efcd.gif

This was a great classic coaster, but I'm not deeply sad to see it go as Kings Dominion's Rebel Yell is just as close to me. However, as a theme park enthusiast, it is a little sad to see Carowinds management and Cedar Fair not take the park's rich history into consideration when moving forward. The new entrance feels beyond generic/corporate now with no historical or Carolina influence. Now they're removing one of the park's signature rides since the beginning. I love the investments that the company is doing within the park but next season the park won't look or feel the same at all compared to 2008... It's just very interesting to see the two different directions Kings Dominion and Carowinds are going with KD focusing on the past, preserving the past, and bringing back icons from the past while Carowinds keeps bulldozing everything to make room for the next big thing.

With all this said though and all signs pointing to a Boomerang Bay/Soak City expansion next season, it makes the removal of Thunder Road okay in my opinion. Cedar Fair has always been an investor in water parks and Carowinds' water park really lacks when comparing to KI's Soak City and KD's new Soak City. After all, Carowinds is Cedar Fair's one and only park in the southeast, the area of the country with the best and warmest seasonal summer weather, so I expect them to make the Carowinds water park a signature one for the chain. Another benefit Carowinds has is the proximity to the parking lot (unlike KD, but similar to KI) to make this water park almost a park of its own with its own entrance/exit. With the removal of Thunder Road, I'm expecting big things.

hoping Fury would be everything I like in MForce but with a little more to it, and that seems to be the case! What is the airtime like? I know there's not many hills, but I hear there's some airtime on many of the turns/twists.

The airtime is very B&Mish towards the back half (very comparable to ending of Nitro). The most surprising element of airtime is in the Treble Clef turn....

When I compared it to Millennium Force, I was referring to the slowly twisting and high speed overbank turns. BTW, there is an amazing "hand-chopper" about 2/3 into the ride that got me both times I rode it.

Last, I had some people ask me for a i305/f325 comparison...

Best Drop --> i305

Best Element -->f325 (Treble Clef Turn)

Best Airtime --> i305

Best Feeling of Speed --> f325 (even though 305 is faster)

I like Fury as a better coaster because it focuses on mixing up its elements where as i305 is BANG BANG BANG done... I like Fury because it gives a longer lasting impression.

That sounds like what I'd expect, yeah I am more into the MForce feel than I305. Greatly looking forward to this

Out of everything, the fact that this news was put on such short notice is making me really suspicious about this not being the end for Thunder Road.

Rolling Thunder's closure was announced about two weeks in advance. I think this is a fine time to announce, and I assume demolition will begin in the fall.

I think this is a fine time to announce, and I assume demolition will begin in the fall.

With the ride closing July 26, I imagine demolition beginning a lot sooner, especially in full force once the water park is closed if it's not down by then. Even though the ride is right on top of Boomerang Bay it's still far enough from it to deconstruct while the water park is still open.

Shoot, now I am going to have to get down there after all. I kept planning and then canceling Carowinds trips. I'm a huge fan of Rebel Yell so this is sad news indeed.

^ its next...

So is this the end of County Fair?

Bumper cars, mini-golf, action fx theater, and possibly white water falls are all gone after this year.

You're naming too many things. Take a break...sit on this log and wait for the big splash.

And why is everyone thinking water park expansion? Ok keep thinking that...it will make the element of surprise that more enjoyable! And that 50 million...that was really 40 something million has been spent on the front gate, harmony hall, fury 325, other food venues and the waterslides...the ones already there.

Thunder Road got stuck on the lift the day we went...closed for the rest of the day and didn't get the credit. Its closing makes me really mad, but, at the same time kind of happy. Their waterpark looked small (from my views) and I think its great the park gets a bigger selection in slides (repetitive slides, may I add). Overall, the expansion of the waterpark can both be good and bad...I guess...

Now I'm going to get as many rides as I can today on Rebel Yell.

Maybe I'm biased since I grew up with Racer at Kings Island...

Don't really care that they're closing Thunder Road. Not a memorable ride. Sure they all have some history, take it for what it is. I hope they add another wooden coaster eventually because Hurler was one of the worst coasters I've ridden... but yeah, you can pretty much get the same ride at any other park that features a 30 year old racing coaster. It goes out, it turns around, it comes back. Meh.

^ its next...

Bumper cars, mini-golf, action fx theater, and possibly white water falls are all gone after this year.

You're naming too many things. Take a break...sit on this log and wait for the big splash.

And why is everyone thinking water park expansion? Ok keep thinking that...it will make the element of surprise that more enjoyable! And that 50 million...that was really 40 something million has been spent on the front gate, harmony hall, fury 325, other food venues and the waterslides...the ones already there.

What? I'm fairly certain I remember you specifically stating/hinting at a major waterpark expansion for 2016 months back.

And yes, 2016 is included in the $50 million investment between 2014-2016, as it was stated back when the investment was announced in 2013.

^ its next...

What? I'm fairly certain I remember you specifically stating/hinting at a major waterpark expansion for 2016 months back.

And yes, 2016 is included in the $50 million investment between 2014-2016, as it was stated back when the investment was announced in 2013.

On here? I cant recall and I went through all my post and It seems I never mention anything about 2016...

Now, I posted this a week or so ago...

We really don't know how much they have left or if it was a true 50 million. For instance, according to the below quote, there will be no funds remaining and its not saying the money cedar fair would be investing would be part of a 3 year plan for the total amount...

Cedar Fair is looking to establish a large park to push to the 2.5-3 million annual guest range

somewhere in the southeast and their target expansions are going to either be Carowinds or

Kings Dominion. If they were to select Carowinds as their large southeast park, the first phase

would consist of $43.5MM of investment. The first $30MM of that would be in a new 300 foot

tall rollercoaster. For comparison, the Intimidator, which you can see from I-77, is 230 feet.

They would include a $2.5MM water slide, a $7MM food complex and a $4MM ticket booth and

parking field improvements. Much of what you will approach and see as you come to Carowinds

now, would be completely reconfigured and moved out into where some of their parking field

currently is. $33.1MM of this investment will be in Mecklenburg County within the business

investment zone. The other $10.4MM will be in York County. Just as a reminder, Carowinds is

398 acres right now between the land they currently own and is undeveloped plus the land that is

developed as the park. About 220 acres of that is in South Carolina. The remainder is in North

Carolina.

Link

Basically Im not sure where we got the 3 year thing from as it is conflicting with what was presented to the board. I would want to go with the numbers the board had presented to them since it seems fairly accurate.