TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Ultimate thread

The Ultimate (at Lightwater Valley in England) has always been a one-of-a-kind ride for all the wrong reasons. Its well known for being a bit tame at parts and nearly ripping your head off at others, its also famous for being one of the worlds longest rollercoasters and also holding the record for two of the slowest lifts ever made.

It's kind of a marmite coaster, you either love it or hate it. I'm in the group of people who loves it mainly because of the over-aggressive second half, it also happens to be the first large coaster I ever rode.

I'd like to see what other people think of this ride, wether you love it or hate it. I would also like to know your thoughts on the rumor over it's departure if you have any.

Note to moderators-If you feel this thread is to specific you may lock it if you wish.

Ultimate.jpg.10c156fc20a3a1b1e908ebb2f07bca30.jpg

The Ultimate (photo from TPR's 2006 UK trip)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should retheme the ride to The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.

First half--Jeckyl.

Second half--Hyde.

I bashed my right elbow on the first drop of "Hyde," and it remained numb for about five minutes. The ride is actually bearable toward the back, oddly enough; the front seat is where it tries to kill you.

To quote Bret U.

"It's amazing but I hate it!"

Seriously, the first half is blah. The lifts are terrible, but that second half is the most out of control, lateral filled, crazy ride on Earth! Now granted that the second half beats the CRAP out of you, but still...it's insane.

It would be a shame if they removed it, but would make the next TPR UK Tour that much easier since we would skip the place!

The second half of Ultimate totally freaked me out, after having been lulled into a near stupor by the first half of it. Both lift hills included.

So - it's the "Ultimate Half & Half", heh heh.

Shame if they do remove it. It is definitely "one that has to be ridden to be believed."

It's definately a different experience every time you ride.

When we had 45 minutes ERT on the Ultimate last year it was quite tame in the morning. The track was cold, the trains were running quite slowly (even failed to reach the 2nd lift on many occasions). We only had 20 people in the trains so they were half empty.

In the afternoon (after ERT) we rode the ride with full trains and my god does it make a difference. The track wasn't as cold, the trains were full and the ride was much, much rougher!

The back is smother than the front on this one, I believe it's largely down to the way the ride is built and the fact that the footers are stood on hardcore and move slightly as the train goes over them, by the time the backs got there the track has been set, the front sets the track all the way around - that's what the operations manager told us anyway.

Any ride that uses expanding foam under the footers to stop them sinking is bound to move a little. lol

From the look of the picture, kind of looks like The Ultimate killed me (since I'm the one on the left...dead). I wasn't really a fan of it since it needed a lift hill to get back into the station. WTF is up with that? The second half is a bit rough in the front seat but the back seat isn't too bad.

All in all...I would probably never ride it again.

This is also on that short list of mine, with Furius Baco: I love it and hate it. However, with Baco, even the parts that I hate, I kinda love. This one, even the parts I love, I sort of hate. It's one of those coasters that I would say I'd never ride again, but if I happened to end up at Lightwater Valley, I probably would. And then I'd set fire to it.

For me it would be a bearable and dare I say somewhat fun ride if they put some nice soft padding on the t-bar restraint housing. As it is the first section of the ride is fun and the most scenic roller coaster I've been on. It holds the distinction being the only rollercoaster I've been on where you can watch rabbits run away from the tracks as the train travels over rolling green hills.

But once you get to the laterals after the second lift hill it is impossible to keep the sides of your kneecaps from slamming into the T-bar's hard plastic housing multiple times.

So screwed up, it's awesome and it sucks at the same time. It tried to eat my knee (and almost succeeded) during one ride, so I'm not sure I'd ever get on it again. But it is something you should experience at least once.

My favorite part of our LV day was still Nicole saying "that doesn't smell like hamburger" when confronted with lunch. Still makes me laugh...

dt