Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 150: Kangaroo, Paratrooper, Bayern Kurve and Volcano being retired

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

oh look. . I got a survey from Kennywood asking me what type of "events" I'd prefer they do to get me coming to the park most often. luckily, there's a space on the last page to give some feedbac

This has been standard operating procedure for years. It's not like if they recover costs they'll stop doing every possible thing to run their parks as poorly as possible and remove as many rides / be

Bayern Kurve is indeed my favorite flat ride... so naturally was disturbed about Kennywood's actions. It has come full circle since I "lost" my Kurves at Cedar Point, Kings Island, Geauga Lake, Canada

Posted Images

The more I think about this, the more I see the potential for something truly special. Especially considering the uniqueness of the location.

1. Ravine presents an opportunity to maximize the use of terrain. Kennywoods existing coasters are great examples. A woodie or hybrid can incorporate inspiration from other coasters such as Ravine Flyer II or Boulder Dash.

2. The proposed area is mostly untouched aside from the existing structures. I expect this coaster could be really fun at night due to the fact that minimal lighting is available. Those who have ridden Phantom at night know what the 2nd drop into pitch black is like.

3. If it is an RMC their engineering could truly set this one apart. The loop on Goliath for example or the ejector elements on Wicked Cyclone. They could even do something inside that building from the old railroad.

4. This could potentially have the tallest drop on a wooden coaster depending on how they use the ravine. If Harry Henninger was involved, I would almost count on it. He had amazing vision for projects like this.

The new coaster buzz put me in the mood to check out Phantom Fright Nights for a couple of hours on Saturday. When I got to the park, there was more fog than I’ve ever seen in my life. It wasn’t until I left the park that I realized it was naturally a very foggy night, and when combined with the in-park fog, the environment put Silent Hill to shame.

Jack Rabbit – 10 min – Good fun as always and very smooth. The double-dip didn’t disappoint! Awesome ejector air, and a couple of nice dives into the dark October night. 8.5/10

Phantom’s Revenge – 90 min (back), 30 min (front) – My first ride in the back was pretty good, but the wait for it was initially one-train misery. Thankfully, the crew finally put the second train in service later on in the night to soak up the line.

In the back, Phantom delivered solid airtime all over the place, rivaled only in the state by SkyRush. It was running very well, balancing smoothness and aggression superbly.

In the front, holy smokes. It was the foggiest coaster ride I’ve ever experienced. I couldn't see anything. The air was crisp, the night was cool, and the Phantom shredded. It felt illegal. The speed and airtime were out of this world. It’s one of the most surreal and memorable rides I’ve ever taken on anything. How good was it? Well, better than my rides on Fury – by far. 10/10

SkyRocket – ERT! – It didn’t open with the park, and then it went down again while I was waiting in the station. When the announcement came on that maintenance was on its way, almost everyone waiting in the station cleared out. I was the smart doofus who decided to wait, and luckily for me it opened back up, sans line, only about 10 minutes later. I ended up not only getting a bunch of rides on it in a row, but an entire train to myself!

Like usual, I giggled throughout the layout. The first couple of elements are big-league thrills, and then it’s more of a family ride in the second half. Still, the first spike has awesome air in both the front and back, and the elements are glass-smooth. 8.5/10

I walked all of the scare zones, but didn’t do any of the indoor haunts. The lines for them looked to be about 20 minutes, but I did pass a few and noticed temporary walk-ons or minimal waits. Sometimes I like the haunts depending on the group I’m with, but they’re not must-do for me. In this instance, I just wanted to enjoy the atmosphere and walk around.

Overall, the park looked good! Again, the fog was everywhere. I liked park touches such as the out of tune merry-go-round and a disturbingly charming Laffing Sal makeover. Oh, and the Potato Patch fries are amazing. I know that some people get turned off by the sogginess, but I love them. They’re absolutely not overrated in my book!

It was way too dark and foggy to eyeball anything in the vicinity of the new coaster. I couldn’t even see Racer’s track while standing in front of its sign! Here are some pics around the park:

kw1.thumb.jpg.1922a21241b6a6cbf9c8d146c5a8a2f0.jpg

Fun fact: I used to hate Laffin Sal as a kid. Fun fact: I now think she's fantastic, albeit still a little scary.

kw10.thumb.jpg.cfb70c21d94909fdc97a46494891e83d.jpg

A short scare zone, but probably my favorite! I was followed by a couple of actors, and I enjoyed the props. Looked like an area someone would make in Planet Coaster!

kw11.thumb.jpg.d37d94daf957a64ac6c2f0ca00d9256f.jpg

Plus, Death Valley had cameos from old Gold Rusher friends.

kw12.thumb.jpg.290f64ad85c260beb211713b97e7c89e.jpg

Ghostwood Estates, the year-round shooter, decked out in green lights.

kw13.thumb.jpg.3b2656540f4568e9e5b6c00251447c49.jpg

Haunted Noah's Ark looked great! Even its signature whistle sounded appropriately off-key.

kw14.thumb.jpg.06af6210cd1e8ccc72861b93e73782e5.jpg

The Thunderbolt area was popular, with multiple haunts, a scare zone, T-Bolt, & the Potato Patch nearby.

kw15.thumb.jpg.0746ae7c64e71c64099f030db1f6e8cb.jpg

The whole park was immersed in this dense atmosphere. Fun!

kw16.thumb.jpg.9d3e3d252b192845de07097643414f5e.jpg

This was BEFORE the real fog rolled in!

kw17.thumb.jpg.b39b0fb254a93e21272cd004ff62554d.jpg

The only lights you'll find on the Phantom this fall

kw18.thumb.jpg.bfa984af890e90f9656e0892fed750ea.jpg

El Phantom fue en fuego!

kw2.thumb.jpg.2f8b06108977974ab200ef3bbf8b07d1.jpg

The stillness of the ride and distorted Wurlitzer playing made for one creepy Merry-go-Round.

kw3.thumb.jpg.ea0adcbfd985b853c2206d7bf5f25682.jpg

Potato Patch & tenders! Delicious!

kw4.thumb.jpg.89e75d8f70d4c0c832bd877dcf9fb024.jpg

Now the fog really picked up as I returned to the Phantom for an unforgettable ride in the front.

kw5.thumb.jpg.3d4f4f8d21bdbf6c0b9fa9c959628c8d.jpg

Silent Hill!

kw6.thumb.jpg.29222f9b69f6b76ad15da5ae7297501f.jpg

Lost Kennywood had the only moon that I'd see, as I bid Fright Nights adieu.

kw7.thumb.jpg.fec6da9a37675d254a15c2a59562e63a.jpg

Seriously, how Phantom-y could this night get!? Just perfect.

kw8.thumb.jpg.03ec89c49468afff184c4b58037caeb2.jpg

That second train was my ERT chariot! Check out that line...

kw9.thumb.jpg.1bdf209160cbd63d1e74a635857299da.jpg

I enjoyed each of the scare zones.

Just to clarify... since it's inevitable that people will declare this an RMC and repeat it over the next year so often that it becomes fact, we have no idea who the manufacturer is right? We're just going on one turn that looks sort of like an RMC turn even though the rest of the layout could really be absolutely anything? Like this could easily be a Chance steel coaster or something?

Just checking before things go completely to sh*t and I avoid this thread for the next year.

^ Pretty much.

However if its anything like their existing coasters and their use of the terrain its absolutely going to be awesome. Color me excited.

Just to clarify... since it's inevitable that people will declare this an RMC and repeat it over the next year so often that it becomes fact, we have no idea who the manufacturer is right? We're just going on one turn that looks sort of like an RMC turn even though the rest of the layout could really be absolutely anything? Like this could easily be a Chance steel coaster or something?

Just checking before things go completely to sh*t and I avoid this thread for the next year.

Well the drawing looks a lot more tailored for a wooden coaster vs a steel one, but yeah we don't really know anything yet... Oh except for the confirmed sighting of both Grubb and Schilke at Kennywood a couple of weeks ago... But yeah, nothing else.

Awesome pictures, Samuel!

kw5_0.jpg

This looks amazing. This is the appropriate amount of fog for Halloween events.

Oh except for the confirmed sighting of both Grubb and Schilke at Kennywood a couple of weeks ago

Confirmed by who?

If I recall correctly, some random enthusiast pod-caster that admitted to making the whole thing up.

EDIT: Found the post here:

One of the coaster podcast owners (not sure if I'm allowed to name them here?) said they spotted Alan Shilke, Fred Grubb and some executives from KW walking around the Thunderbolt area today. Could this be the next Iron Horse conversion?

I believe that the person who said he spotted them has now admitted to making this whole thing up unfortunately, he, or someone who saw what he said,may also have submitted the rumor to Screamscape.

Awesome. So I'm just going to say this now and then maybe in a year someone can quote it and pull it up when this place becomes a dumpster fire.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that this thing is an RMC other than the fact that people want it to be an RMC. People are at a point now where whenever they see blueprints for anything they try as hard as possible to convince themselves that it's an RMC using any little detail of the layout they can to make it indisputable fact that it's a terrain RMC. Since we have so much time to speculate on this people will refer to this as a terrain RMC so much that they'll all become convinced that it's a 100% guarantee and come announcement day the only things they won't know yet are the name and a few small details of the layout because enthusiasts think repetition of a rumor eventually makes it true.

If this thing turns out to be a steel family coaster and everyone loses their minds over it it's their own fault. If enthusiasts over-hype it and the park announces a family coaster don't blame THEM for over hyping it. Nobody cares that it's an anniversary year, nobody said anything about an RMC. It might be an RMC, but if people go all "Kings Dominion thread" because they convince themselves that that drawing = confirmed RMC because "there's totally room for a wave turn" or something then I'm going to laugh my ass off at the limitless amount of entitled bitching that comes along with announcement day. This hasn't happened yet but you can already see the enthusiast RMC hype train leaving the station at full speed on a collision course with reality.

... that's all. You've been warned. Go back to talking about how you can see where it goes under the 200 foot steel Goliath-style lift and first drop or whatever.

If I recall correctly, some random enthusiast pod-caster that admitted to making the whole thing up.

EDIT: Found the post here:

One of the coaster podcast owners (not sure if I'm allowed to name them here?) said they spotted Alan Shilke, Fred Grubb and some executives from KW walking around the Thunderbolt area today. Could this be the next Iron Horse conversion?

I believe that the person who said he spotted them has now admitted to making this whole thing up unfortunately, he, or someone who saw what he said,may also have submitted the rumor to Screamscape.

hahaha, I didn't see that...

Edited by chickenbowl
Phantom’s Revenge – 90 min (back), 30 min (front) – In the front, holy smokes. It was the foggiest coaster ride I’ve ever experienced. I couldn't see anything. The air was crisp, the night was cool, and the Phantom shredded. It felt illegal. The speed and airtime were out of this world. It’s one of the most surreal and memorable rides I’ve ever taken on anything. How good was it? Well, better than my rides on Fury – by far. 10/10

I had some crazy ass rides on PR in the front row last summer right after a torrential downpour and it was the most balls to the wall outrageously wild ride on any coaster anywhere. After making 2 trips to Carowinds this year just to ride Fury and the flyers, well, to rank PR above Fury I imagine your rides on PR were as out of this world as mine were!! Congrats and now you'll spend the rest of your life going "holy $hit that coaster was unbelievable!!! But that one time on PR..." LOL. The first picture you posted is seriously fantastic.

Awesome. So I'm just going to say this now and then maybe in a year someone can quote it and pull it up when this place becomes a dumpster fire.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that this thing is an RMC other than the fact that people want it to be an RMC. People are at a point now where whenever they see blueprints for anything they try as hard as possible to convince themselves that it's an RMC using any little detail of the layout they can to make it indisputable fact that it's a terrain RMC. Since we have so much time to speculate on this people will refer to this as a terrain RMC so much that they'll all become convinced that it's a 100% guarantee and come announcement day the only things they won't know yet are the name and a few small details of the layout because enthusiasts think repetition of a rumor eventually makes it true.

If this thing turns out to be a steel family coaster and everyone loses their minds over it it's their own fault. If enthusiasts over-hype it and the park announces a family coaster don't blame THEM for over hyping it. Nobody cares that it's an anniversary year, nobody said anything about an RMC. It might be an RMC, but if people go all "Kings Dominion thread" because they convince themselves that that drawing = confirmed RMC because "there's totally room for a wave turn" or something then I'm going to laugh my A$$ off at the limitless amount of entitled bitching that comes along with announcement day. This hasn't happened yet but you can already see the enthusiast RMC hype train leaving the station at full speed on a collision course with reality.

... that's all. You've been warned. Go back to talking about how you can see where it goes under the 200 foot steel Goliath-style lift and first drop or whatever.

It looks like a huge ride on a huge plot of wild land. Might not be a RMC but I'd be surprised if it isn't a high-thrill coaster.

Phantom is so underrated. And I'll agree that while I am a backseater most of the time, my ride toward the front of that thing was completely insane. I really need to get back to Kennywood.

i know i may be wrong but im thinking just a vekoma slc standard like blackpool does but i know it may not be good for the park but they could use something like that!

(nothing to see here, just a bunch of bs that is now deleted)

Edited by SteelForceless
in the early 2000s, Kennywood tried to add an SLC. When it was announced, the general manager got booed off stage. The company received so much hate that they decided to cancel it.

Man, coasterbill... Just when I was about ready to really let myself get crazy excited about this project, and what an amazing RMC it's going to be, you have to squash those hopes and dreams under the realism that is the complete lack of knowledge anybody has about what this is actually going to be!

Does the word "confirmed" have a completely different definition in the world of coaster enthusiasts? For some reason, it seems like whenever it gets used on message boards and Facebook groups and Instagram, what it really means is "I saw this posted somewhere else online so it must be true".

In any case, I am looking forward to whatever coaster Kennywood brings us next. Making the trip out there twice this year solidified it as one of my favorite parks with a top-notch albeit small lineup, and one that I'm going to make an attempt to visit on a yearly basis going forward. If it ends up being an RMC, fantastic, but I have faith that no matter WHAT they put in there, it's going to be another solid ride!

you have to squash those hopes and dreams under the realism that is the complete lack of knowledge anybody has about what this is actually going to be!:

This is just one of the many services that I offer.