TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Now that the layout is complete it's looking quite impressive. I just hope it tests well and I am praying it has two-train operation when it opens. I still remember the opening for Phantom's Revenge being a two hour wait and that was with one train that held 27 riders opposed to the Sky Rocket that can hold 12 riders per train. Also, unless the Que wraps behind the Grand Prix, Bayern Kurve and Musik Express it will create some congestion out of the tunnel. Hopefully, Kennywood has all this figured out already.

The entrance for Sky Rocket is planned to be right in front of where the CoGo's Gas Station used to be, which is almost literally right where the tunnel ends, so the park better have gotten the possible congestion issue figured out or they're in big trouble. My guess is that overflow will just wrap around the fence and go back to where the Picnic Pavilions are located.

Now that the layout is officially complete, I have to say that the ride looks simply awesome! That first hill looks worlds better complete than in some of the cruddy renderings that were released when the ride was announced. It really looks good and totally different than anything else in Kennywood's skyline. I'm still saying that this will be the surprise hit of the coaster world for 2010!

Can't wait for Sky Rocket to start testing!

It looks Quite forceful as well, some serious height-difference on the overbank and tophat

Although, the hill doesnt look very "Vertical" But looks like some very fun airtime

The ascent up the hill isn't vertical, but the drop is.

KPConnection hasn't officially posted the update showing the completed ride (though there is one from Sunday with the barrel roll), but I thought I'd post some teaser pics (as usual, the update will have higher resolution pics):

I still think this looks a lot better in the park than a lot of people anticipated. It's a very good fit for the park, and I'm sure it will be a huge hit.

Nerd shot: Copper trims at the top of the hill. They won't stop the train, but given the major height difference between this hill and the following inversion, you can see why they were installed.

Work on the station commencing. Note the automatic gates are installed. While common in most amusement parks, this is the first coaster Kennywood has that will utilize them.

I REALLY wanted to save this pic for the update, but I like it so much, I just had to share it. This is taken from the Giant Eagle lot above Kennywood's parking lot, and shows how prominent Sky Rocket is in the park's skyline. Except for the Skycoaster (the names of these two rides are already being confused en masse by the general public!), this is the tallest thing on this side of the park.

It is big enough to draw attention, but not big enough to look gawdy along the road. It really doesn't detract from the "atmosphere" looking in from the outside. Such a nice fit and looking forward to getting up there as soon as it opens and gets the bugs worked out.......

Work on the station commencing. Note the automatic gates are installed. While common in most amusement parks, this is the first coaster Kennywood has that will utilize them.

Wow, really? No airgates even on "newer" coasters like Phantom's Revenge? I know some parks don't use them on old Vekomas/Arrows and people are just fine without them but Kennywood being an American park I thought they would try to avoid any possible lawsuits from stupid riders steping when they are not supposed to.

Except for the Skycoaster (the names of these two rides are already being confused en masse by the general public!), this is the tallest thing on this side of the park.

Actually, I haven't encountered any confused guests...yet. I'm sure it will happen eventually, though.

Wow, really? No airgates even on "newer" coasters like Phantom's Revenge? I know some parks don't use them on old Vekomas/Arrows and people are just fine without them but Kennywood being an American park I thought they would try to avoid any possible lawsuits from stupid riders steping when they are not supposed to.

no air gates on phantom, if you even STEP on the red line at the end of the queue for a row, you will be berated over the PA System until you move, same goes for sitting on the rails for the queue spots

On TB it's the same as phantom, and Jackrabbit just lets people in from the line in a group, seating being first come first serve

It's quite nice really

I wonder since the launch is only 50mph if it will make any noise like the one's you hear on some other launch coasters?
Wicked launches at about the same speed and is super quiet, except for the sound effects in the Launch Tunnel.

I have to say that I'm surprised the Accent isn't 90 Degrees and that the Drop isn't 90 Degrees for very long. I was kinda hoping there would be air time on the Top of the Tower/Top Hat like there is on Wicked, however, I would have killed for a Corkscrew on Wicked.

Not really sure if this bugs anyone else, but due to the ascent not being completely vertical and the drop being vertical, it gives the allusion of the hill being tilted to the one side. I see this everyday at that park when I'm working and for some reason it bugs the crap out of me. Also, I have to say the first hill is really oddly shaped. I really don't know why Premier didn't just take the Intamin approach and use a real top hat for the first hill instead of just a 90 degree drop.

Not really sure if this bugs anyone else, but due to the ascent not being completely vertical and the drop being vertical, it gives the allusion of the hill being tilted to the one side. I see this everyday at that park when I'm working and for some reason it bugs the crap out of me. Also, I have to say the first hill is really oddly shaped. I really don't know why Premier didn't just take the Intamin approach and use a real top hat for the first hill instead of just a 90 degree drop.

Probably because doing so would have made the hill placement more awkward, doing it this way allows a shorter curve on the drop side, allowing a longer steeper drop, which is more thrilling

I see this being a great ride in the front, slowly hanging down the drop as you wait for the last car to let off the trims

Yeah, cant wait to see this start testing

The "cliffhanger" element on the drop was intentional from day one. Just looking at the overall shot of the coaster it is easy to see how much taller the hill is compared to the rest of the 1st half of the coaster. The trim is necessary for a safe and proper speed through the inverted tophat and zero-g roll. Making the hill extra tall also allows for a faster and more thrilling launch.

^

One of our local news stations, KDKA, had a video pop up on their website shortly after the steel construction was complete. It was some "raw" footage shot from the station's chopper. It's a neat video and a great aerial perspective of the ride's layout.

Enjoy! Sky Rocket from above!

A rumor was also posted over on KPConnection stating that trains were supposedly going to arrive later today. That would be awesome, cause I'm itching to ride this thing!