TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Just to clarify... since it's inevitable that people will declare this an RMC and repeat it over the next year so often that it becomes fact, we have no idea who the manufacturer is right? We're just going on one turn that looks sort of like an RMC turn even though the rest of the layout could really be absolutely anything? Like this could easily be a Chance steel coaster or something?

Just checking before things go completely to sh*t and I avoid this thread for the next year.

Just to clarify... since it's inevitable that people will declare this an RMC and repeat it over the next year so often that it becomes fact, we have no idea who the manufacturer is right? We're just going on one turn that looks sort of like an RMC turn even though the rest of the layout could really be absolutely anything? Like this could easily be a Chance steel coaster or something?

Just checking before things go completely to sh*t and I avoid this thread for the next year.

Well the drawing looks a lot more tailored for a wooden coaster vs a steel one, but yeah we don't really know anything yet... Oh except for the confirmed sighting of both Grubb and Schilke at Kennywood a couple of weeks ago... But yeah, nothing else.

Awesome pictures, Samuel!

kw5_0.jpg

This looks amazing. This is the appropriate amount of fog for Halloween events.

Oh except for the confirmed sighting of both Grubb and Schilke at Kennywood a couple of weeks ago

Confirmed by who?

If I recall correctly, some random enthusiast pod-caster that admitted to making the whole thing up.

EDIT: Found the post here:

One of the coaster podcast owners (not sure if I'm allowed to name them here?) said they spotted Alan Shilke, Fred Grubb and some executives from KW walking around the Thunderbolt area today. Could this be the next Iron Horse conversion?

I believe that the person who said he spotted them has now admitted to making this whole thing up unfortunately, he, or someone who saw what he said,may also have submitted the rumor to Screamscape.

Awesome. So I'm just going to say this now and then maybe in a year someone can quote it and pull it up when this place becomes a dumpster fire.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that this thing is an RMC other than the fact that people want it to be an RMC. People are at a point now where whenever they see blueprints for anything they try as hard as possible to convince themselves that it's an RMC using any little detail of the layout they can to make it indisputable fact that it's a terrain RMC. Since we have so much time to speculate on this people will refer to this as a terrain RMC so much that they'll all become convinced that it's a 100% guarantee and come announcement day the only things they won't know yet are the name and a few small details of the layout because enthusiasts think repetition of a rumor eventually makes it true.

If this thing turns out to be a steel family coaster and everyone loses their minds over it it's their own fault. If enthusiasts over-hype it and the park announces a family coaster don't blame THEM for over hyping it. Nobody cares that it's an anniversary year, nobody said anything about an RMC. It might be an RMC, but if people go all "Kings Dominion thread" because they convince themselves that that drawing = confirmed RMC because "there's totally room for a wave turn" or something then I'm going to laugh my ass off at the limitless amount of entitled bitching that comes along with announcement day. This hasn't happened yet but you can already see the enthusiast RMC hype train leaving the station at full speed on a collision course with reality.

... that's all. You've been warned. Go back to talking about how you can see where it goes under the 200 foot steel Goliath-style lift and first drop or whatever.

If I recall correctly, some random enthusiast pod-caster that admitted to making the whole thing up.

EDIT: Found the post here:

One of the coaster podcast owners (not sure if I'm allowed to name them here?) said they spotted Alan Shilke, Fred Grubb and some executives from KW walking around the Thunderbolt area today. Could this be the next Iron Horse conversion?

I believe that the person who said he spotted them has now admitted to making this whole thing up unfortunately, he, or someone who saw what he said,may also have submitted the rumor to Screamscape.

hahaha, I didn't see that...

Edited by chickenbowl

Phantom’s Revenge – 90 min (back), 30 min (front) – In the front, holy smokes. It was the foggiest coaster ride I’ve ever experienced. I couldn't see anything. The air was crisp, the night was cool, and the Phantom shredded. It felt illegal. The speed and airtime were out of this world. It’s one of the most surreal and memorable rides I’ve ever taken on anything. How good was it? Well, better than my rides on Fury – by far. 10/10

I had some crazy ass rides on PR in the front row last summer right after a torrential downpour and it was the most balls to the wall outrageously wild ride on any coaster anywhere. After making 2 trips to Carowinds this year just to ride Fury and the flyers, well, to rank PR above Fury I imagine your rides on PR were as out of this world as mine were!! Congrats and now you'll spend the rest of your life going "holy $hit that coaster was unbelievable!!! But that one time on PR..." LOL. The first picture you posted is seriously fantastic.

Awesome. So I'm just going to say this now and then maybe in a year someone can quote it and pull it up when this place becomes a dumpster fire.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that this thing is an RMC other than the fact that people want it to be an RMC. People are at a point now where whenever they see blueprints for anything they try as hard as possible to convince themselves that it's an RMC using any little detail of the layout they can to make it indisputable fact that it's a terrain RMC. Since we have so much time to speculate on this people will refer to this as a terrain RMC so much that they'll all become convinced that it's a 100% guarantee and come announcement day the only things they won't know yet are the name and a few small details of the layout because enthusiasts think repetition of a rumor eventually makes it true.

If this thing turns out to be a steel family coaster and everyone loses their minds over it it's their own fault. If enthusiasts over-hype it and the park announces a family coaster don't blame THEM for over hyping it. Nobody cares that it's an anniversary year, nobody said anything about an RMC. It might be an RMC, but if people go all "Kings Dominion thread" because they convince themselves that that drawing = confirmed RMC because "there's totally room for a wave turn" or something then I'm going to laugh my A$$ off at the limitless amount of entitled bitching that comes along with announcement day. This hasn't happened yet but you can already see the enthusiast RMC hype train leaving the station at full speed on a collision course with reality.

... that's all. You've been warned. Go back to talking about how you can see where it goes under the 200 foot steel Goliath-style lift and first drop or whatever.

It looks like a huge ride on a huge plot of wild land. Might not be a RMC but I'd be surprised if it isn't a high-thrill coaster.

Phantom is so underrated. And I'll agree that while I am a backseater most of the time, my ride toward the front of that thing was completely insane. I really need to get back to Kennywood.

Man, coasterbill... Just when I was about ready to really let myself get crazy excited about this project, and what an amazing RMC it's going to be, you have to squash those hopes and dreams under the realism that is the complete lack of knowledge anybody has about what this is actually going to be!

Does the word "confirmed" have a completely different definition in the world of coaster enthusiasts? For some reason, it seems like whenever it gets used on message boards and Facebook groups and Instagram, what it really means is "I saw this posted somewhere else online so it must be true".

In any case, I am looking forward to whatever coaster Kennywood brings us next. Making the trip out there twice this year solidified it as one of my favorite parks with a top-notch albeit small lineup, and one that I'm going to make an attempt to visit on a yearly basis going forward. If it ends up being an RMC, fantastic, but I have faith that no matter WHAT they put in there, it's going to be another solid ride!

Hate to ask a "crowd" question - but I have a work trip to Pittsburgh this weekend and thought about checking out Kennywood on Friday night.

How are the crowds and are the ride lines manageable? I am not really interested in their haunt attractions - but wouldn't mind checking them out as time allows. I haven't been to Kennywood since around 2007 - so a few new things to check out in addition to getting on PR again!

Does the word "confirmed" have a completely different definition in the world of coaster enthusiasts? For some reason, it seems like whenever it gets used on message boards and Facebook groups and Instagram, what it really means is "I saw this posted somewhere else online so it must be true".

Lol, yeah, that's basically how it's used. For me, something is confirmed when someone in management at a park or manufacturer says something in an official capacity (press release, official Twitter, website banner, etc.). I've had it happen to me several times when discussing things that are not confirmed, and I point out that it's not confirmed, only to be told "Of course it is, look at this website." Leaves me thinking "who the hell is that guy to be able to confirm anything?" But logic is a scarce resource these days.

Hate to ask a "crowd" question - but I have a work trip to Pittsburgh this weekend and thought about checking out Kennywood on Friday night.

How are the crowds and are the ride lines manageable? I am not really interested in their haunt attractions - but wouldn't mind checking them out as time allows. I haven't been to Kennywood since around 2007 - so a few new things to check out in addition to getting on PR again!

I went last Saturday and the only headache line was the Phantom for the first two hours -- one train operation, and SkyRocket was down. I waited about 90 min for the back, which had a comparable line to all other rows except for the even-longer front. Once the second train came on and SkyRocket started back up, it was about 20 minutes for most rows, 30 for the front.

Everything else in the park, haunts included, looked like a manageable 10-30 min. There's an up-charge VIP Coaster Tour if things look unbearable for some reason, but that's probably not going to be the case.

============================================================================================================================================

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the Fright Night pics! A few days out, and I'm still thinking about how I had a blast. October weather conditions can be unpredictable, but they certainly make for some memorable, unique rides when the recipe in the air is just right.