TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb Alvey's 30lbs in 30 days!

robbalvey

The funny thing is, most people will tell me "don't do this, don't do that" but I kind of have my own way of doing it.

For example, when I lost 110 pounds in 2001 it was while everyone was going nuts over the Atkins stupidity, but I lost all my weight while eating almost nothing but carbs!

It's never really been about what I eat for me, it's been more about how much I eat and how much exercise I get. I was doing really good a couple of years ago by simply playing DDR once a day for about 30 minutes and going to the gym at the end of the night for about 45 minutes.

And I pretty much ate crap the rest of the day. I'm not able to give up anything I like to eat, because I've found that's what puts back on your weight as soon as you're done.

I'll post every day what I do and you guys will see what I mean!

And yeah, I was closing in on 320lbs in that picture!!! (and that does NOT include the Jeff Johnson tumor growing out of my shoulder)

--Robb

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

264? You don't look it.

I need to start doing something again. In 9th grade, I weighed 189, and that spring I lost 40 pounds. I didn't really even exercise, I'd just eat 1000 calories a day. I got used to it where I wouldn't even be hungry, but there were times when I'd go home from school with a migraine due to messed up blood sugar levels. I'm at 155 now, and I'd like to get to 145.

Good luck with everything, I hope this works out for you.

Don't cheat and count the 5 lbs you lose when your shave you back.

Seriously, I have confidence in you Robb, as you understand going to the gym involves sweating. Versus those who walk on a level treadmill at 2MPH for 30 minutes, burn 100 calories and can't understand why they are not dropping weight as the suck down a Coke afterwards.

I may be able to help out a little.

I'm not sure if you ever took swim lesson when you were a kid, but swimming laps is a great way to lose weight. Many people find it a lot "easier" than running, unless you get into competitive levels.

I'm not going to go into the whole 'eating right' thing because it's different for everyone. A lot of people can eat what they want, and still not gain weight.

Good luck! Maybe some Samurai Summit runs would help out too!

EDIT: This might be helpful, http://www.fitday.com/webfit/exerciseinfopage.html

Good for you Robb!

Although I prefer my men with a little bit of girth, I support you in your desire to slim down.

I will not jump on the band wagon of "this will work, and that will not", but I will offer this ...

Fiber - it's a two fold deal. It will make you feel fuller than other foods, and makes you poop.

Yeah a lot of people say I don't look my weight. Elissa says I 'hold it well', which is why, for example, in this photo:

I weighed about 215, but no one could ever believe it!

As far as swimming goes, I wish I liked swimming more because that would probably be GREAT for me. But really the only swimming I would ever do is probably in a water park. Doing any kind of monotonous exercise bores the hell out of me. I will go to the gym if I have someone to talk to, but I could never just go on my own and do "laps" or something. I would kill myself after 2 minutes. This is why I play DDR for exercise. And yeah, Larry, when I do go to the gym I'm not one of the losers who "walks" on a treadmill. If I'm going to go walking around, I don't need to go to a gym for that!

And Ron, don't worry, Elissa likes some girth too, so I'm not about to slim down to bones. There will still be plenty of me to hold!

I'm actually thinking about riding my bike to work. May even start that next week.

--Robb

As far as swimming goes, I wish I liked swimming more because that would probably be GREAT for me. But really the only swimming I would ever do is probably in a water park. Doing any kind of monotonous exercise bores the hell out of me. I will go to the gym if I have someone to talk to, but I could never just go on my own and do "laps" or something. I would kill myself after 2 minutes. This is why I play DDR for exercise.

--Robb

Well if you can get over that it would really be a great way to exercise!

I'm not sure if you're the type to listen to music for entertainment, but I’m pretty sure they have water proof iPod cases now. When I swim it's my "thinking time", whether I'm thinking creatively or going over how good/bad my day was, it's quite distracting to 'think to yourself'.

Or maybe start bringing KT to the pool, while Elissa is teaching her to swim you can swim a few laps, stop, and repeat. Just throwing out a few ideas because as much as I hate swimming, it really keeps me in shape.

We should totally do a TPR version of 'The Biggest Loser'! That would be awesome!

I'm in! I'm not really fat (5'10" at 165 lbs), but I want some abs!

Also, Good luck Robb! I'm with you on the boring exercises. I can't stand swimming/running laps. I've always heard people say that the best way to loose wait is to find something that you love to do and thats fun for you. I know a TON of people that have lost wait playing DDR and I like it. For me I like to Rock-climb. But since that doesn't really cover cardio (aside from speed climbing), I stared cross country running down our dirt road and through the woods behind our house. Cross country running is SO much better then running laps because... because you don't have to look at the same damn thing the entire time! I hope you reach your goal!

^Yeah that wouldn't really be a contest now would it!?!?

Seriously though, to all of you writing how it can't be done, blah blah blah...watch the show The Biggest Loser. For a man, weiging over 200lbs, with diet and exercise you can easily lose 10 pounds a week!