TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

However, if the new version of the show includes more pyro, lazers, and fire and less repetitive dancing fountains with the clips...then it doesn't matter who is hosting. I'm all for a night time spectacular actually being spectacular!

I always looked forward to the Pirates clip because it had a good use of pyro. Would like to see more of that for sure. The lasers were a bit of a bust unless you were right at the front.

The Frozen WoC was particularly bad though, basically just like watching someone skip to each song on the DVD. I didn't mind the film but it would've been good to see something a bit more creative.

I've been to the DL Resort twice since World of Color started, and I have yet to watch the show. Adding Neal Patrick Harris to the mix, although I have nothing against him, doesn't entice me to watch it.

I imagine I'll catch WOC the next time I'm in southern California. Or maybe I'll just ride ToT and California Screamin' a few times. It's hard to say.

I've sat thru WoC 4-1/2 times (walked out half way thru the first time, sat it out with friends the other 4x).

An eyesore and WASTE of space by day, and just stupid by night. Glorified sprinklers with a projector, and an occasional Roman candle thrown in. Oh joyjoy. Adding Dougie Howser makes me want to avoid it even more.

I'm surprised that it didn't get tossed when (or soon after) Carsland. It essentially destroys the aesthetic look of a waterfront park they were originally after.

I truly hope they remove it soon.

I've sat thru WoC 4-1/2 times (walked out half way thru the first time, sat it out with friends the other 4x).

An eyesore and WASTE of space by day, and just stupid by night. Glorified sprinklers with a projector, and an occasional Roman candle thrown in. Oh joyjoy. Adding Dougie Howser makes me want to avoid it even more.

I'm surprised that it didn't get tossed when (or soon after) Carsland. It essentially destroys the aesthetic look of a waterfront park they were originally after.

I truly hope they remove it soon.

As I recall, the plan was for some sort of elevator platform that would lower all the apparatus out of sight during the day. I guess that I'm 1) I was mistaken, or 2) it didn't work out.

The platforms have 3 levels:

1- "Day," which is submerged and out-of-sight

2- "Show," which is where equipment is exposed just enough to perform the show

3- "Maintenance," which is where the platforms are completely out of the water

They ran into some issues with the scissor lifts underneath the platforms when the show initially opened but those issues have since been resolved.

^Every time I've been there, the whole show appears to have been in "maintenance" mode. I guess I'm just unlucky.

The morning hours are usually when they are out working on the platforms. By mid-afternoon they usually put them in "day" mode.

^Agreed.

Alright so I am a WDW vet going to DL and DCA first time thurs morning thru Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend. flying into LAX from Indy. This may be a once in a lifetime as I haven't flown since 2006 and usually drive to Florida. I love Disney and I love roller coaster parks as well. Do I need all three days on a busy weekend at DL and DCA to experience it? Or should I use one of the days to go to SFMM or Knotts? I have usually been disappointed by the upkeep of sF parks, but I namely have gone to Chicago. St. Louis is better but smaller as far as rides. I know SFMM is Cedar Point of the West. If I am a disney nut but also love coasters.. What would you do?

Alright so I am a WDW vet going to DL and DCA first time thurs morning thru Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend. flying into LAX from Indy. This may be a once in a lifetime as I haven't flown since 2006 and usually drive to Florida. I love Disney and I love roller coaster parks as well. Do I need all three days on a busy weekend at DL and DCA to experience it? Or should I use one of the days to go to SFMM or Knotts? I have usually been disappointed by the upkeep of sF parks, but I namely have gone to Chicago. St. Louis is better but smaller as far as rides. I know SFMM is Cedar Point of the West. If I am a disney nut but also love coasters.. What would you do?

If you love coasters, Six Flags is a must. I would recommend visiting Disney on both Thursday and Friday. If you a devote a full day to each of the two parks, you can get through them. Make sure you get on Radiator Springs Racers early (get there at opening, skip the massive Fastpass line, and you can ride it a few times single rider or once in the normal line with a tolerable wait). All of the Fastpass rides at California Adventure are usually pretty good about keeping them throughout the day except for Radiator Springs Racers. The only rides there that can be a pain is Radiator Springs Racers (due to its popularity) and Toy Story since it doesn't have fastpasses.

At Disneyland, Space Mountain will run out of Fastpasses earlier than the other rides and usually Indiana Jones isn't too far behind. I'd Fastpass those two early and then you can get Fastpasses for the others later in the day.

I'd recommend Magic Mountain on a Saturday. I'm not from the area, but I would imagine that the LA traffic wouldn't be as bad as a weekday and you can get a Flash Pass (advised on a weekday as well) to avoid waits. The coasters here really are fantastic and that was before Twisted Colossus which looks like it could be one of the world's top coasters.

I heard the fire was out as of now that the fire started on a tarp that was over outside of ride that was covering it during refurbishment. Also heard ride is not damaged just outside building. We shall see. This is from Instagram feeds of people at park currently.

Damned fireworks trying to murder a classic. Glad to hear it was just a tree and not the actual attraction. While I'm not a big fan of Small World, I sure respect the hell out of it because of its history. I hope it survives forever.

^I'm really torn on that subject. On one hand, I think it's important to preserve history. Especially in Southern California, where developers have no shame in replacing historic buildings with soul-less condos. On the other hand, Walt himself said Disneyland is always being tinkered with, so I wouldn't totally mind a signature attraction for the next generation replacing it at some point.

Edited by Jew

The fireworks seem to cause issues at all parks. Once again though it looks like it was taken care of quickly and safely like the Mine Train incident at MK a few months ago.

Wait I thought because of all those people who know EVERYTHING that the one in MK caused the whole structure to collapse and the ride was going to be down for months because it wasn't safe to run again............

On a real note its good to see they managed to put it out quickly and save the ride, even if that ride is Small World! You have to appreciate how good the parks emergency procedures are that the fire didn't get a chance to spread!

The fireworks seem to cause issues at all parks.

That's the reason Disney is trying to get rid of them. It's loud, expensive, not re-useable, and dangerous.

Mapping, lights, fountains, and drones are the future of night-time entertainment.

In my opinion, nothing can beat fireworks, but well... There's a lot of new technologies to discover and play with. For instance, that thing I came accross the other day. Displaying a 3D image in mid-air, impossible you say? Look at that, I already see giant Mickey heads floating in the sky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVS-npfVuY

... and to think this video is from 2011..!

I would say 2 days at Disneyland and California Adventure is a good plan, and if you like roller coasters I would definitely suggest Magic Mountain. But maybe go to MM on Sunday if you can instead of Saturday? It just won't be as busy.

Radiator Racers will be the longest line of the Disneyland Resort trip if you decide to ride it. I would also suggest it being the first ride of the day on the 2nd day. Space Mountain and Indy will run out of Fastpasses, but not as quickly as you think. If you get there before 3 pm you should be good to get fastpasses for a night ride. Also keep in mind you can get another Fastpass I believe an hour after you get your last one. So try to time it out where you can almost accumulate Fastpasses throughout the day. I think you'll have plenty of time to do everything you want to, and maybe some things twice.

If you go to Magic Mountain on a Saturday, I'd say take a quick analysis of park lines when you get there, see how many cars are in the parking lot, then decide if you want to get a flash pass so you don't have to wait in miserable lines and you can get on everything you want to. As far as Fastpass purchasing, I would suggest the Gold, as the one time I used it, it worked out perfectly. I find the Platinum to be an absurd hike in the price for not so much of an upside. For the rides NOT on the Fastpass, I say suck it up and wait in 1 or 2 lines. As we all know, part of the fun of being at amusement parks is waiting in line with who's there with you.

Have fun!