TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

So is the 'World' of Colour an entirely new park at the Disneyland Resort, or is it just an addition/modification of an existing area of one of the parks?

I'm sure some people, especially the fans, will enjoy such a new, happy and colourful place, but to me the media is making out to be an entirely new park so I think a lot of people could be potentially disappointed.

I saw the first showing yesterday. Got my FastPass way early in the morning (was towards the front of the line), then returned to the parks and waited to get into the viewing area at 6:15. Honestly, there is no need to wait to get into the viewing area. The FastPass states to report at 7:30, and the people who didn't wait to get in got spots just fine. We cared to do nothing else, so we just decided to wait it out.

The show was incredible. The videos online, no matter how HD they are, will ever do the show justice. I went in with high expectations and was still blown away. Before I start sounding too positive, there were a few dull moments. Parts where it's just clips of movies projected onto the mist screens were just unnecessary. However, where the show really shined was when all elements of the show were incorporated and working together (lazers, fountains, projections, etc.) Some parts just felt unreal to watch. For example, in the Little Mermaid part, there's an effect where it looks as if the ocean is rising. You can see it in the videos, but the effect is truly impressive in person. I saw many people crying at the end of the show. I myself, teared up.

Robb stated it correctly in his post. If you're a person who enjoys shows like this, then World of Color is right up your alley. Otherwise, you might want to spend your time elsewhere.

Did they close down the rides on Paradise Pier as it had been reported they would? If so, what time did they close them? And did any re-open - or were they closed for the night?

Also, did anyone check out glowfest? How was that?

I'm going tomorrow for World of Color! *excited*

I don't know for sure, because I was in the viewing area as everything else was happening. I do know that they closed most of the rides in Paradise Pier, I noticed them emptying the Fun Wheel at I'd say, 8:00ish. I think they were closed for the night, as there were showings until the park closed.

The show was incredible. The videos online, no matter how HD they are, will ever do the show justice.

I dunno. I really thought the show on video was pretty much spot on what you see in person.

There were a few dull moments.

Yes there were a few...

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for the report and video.

It does look really good, but I have tbh not as good as I thought it would be with regards to the actual show and how it has been put together.

There do seem to be rather large sections with not much going on, as has been said. Not all the clips seem to flow into the next one very well.

Maybe these are things that will work on over time?

I love Fantasmic and could watch that over and over, I think with this I would probably watch it once during a visit and that would be enough.

After watching the video, I am incredibly happy that I live in Orange County and currently own a Disneyland pass! The show looks INCREDIBLE! The lighting effects were very well done and the water is very majestic when it needs to be and very abrupt when it needs to be! The show looks awesome to see in person and I can't wait until my next California Adventure visit! One part that truly amazed me was the Buzz Lightyear part of the show, with the Zurg figure made from lasers! I was watching and thinking, the Disney Imagineers are amazing! The lasers would all have to be pointing at different angles and heights on the water fans in order to create the image! Disney has done an amazing job on this show!

My "drive-by" opinion of the show from watching the video, is that I still think Fantasmic is better just based on the live action and props for the show, which is generally what I prefer when it comes to live entertainment. Though WoC looks really cool, I feel the show just seems way to long (time wise) to just have fountains and lighting effects. But I have not seen the show live yet so that opinion might change. I might be going this mon or tues. I will be my myself and from my history of seeing Fantasmic by myself, being just me I can wiggle my way into a small good viewing spot without worrying about other people in my party.

Did they close down the rides on Paradise Pier as it had been reported they would? If so, what time did they close them? And did any re-open - or were they closed for the night?

Also, did anyone check out glowfest? How was that?

I'm going tomorrow for World of Color! *excited*

They did close down all the Paradise Pier rides around 745-8 last night, just like they said they would.

And GlowFest was like a giant rave -- it was fantastic! A few 'stage-floats' in the middle of a crowd of people following their dance moves, beer stands right next door, flashing lights, rainbow colors, and a projection of the dancers in a fenced-off section onto that blue-sky backdrop in the form of a infrared-heat video. It was certainly after-hours fun, and it was certainly a wonderful time!

I still think Fantasmic is better just based on the live action and props for the show, which is generally what I prefer when it comes to live entertainment. Though WoC looks really cool, I feel the show just seems way to long (time wise) to just have fountains and lighting effects. But I have not seen the show live yet so that opinion might change.

I highly doubt it.

I love the concept of the show, and I think visually it is very striking, but I think it'll be even cooler when Disney starts rolling out holiday shows in the lagoon, with an actual plot. Still, I think this is a fantastic addition to DCA and certainly something that will work well in the long term.

Before I ever saw one of these Disney shows (fireworks, Fantasmic, etc), I thought the purpose was to kind of increase capacity at the parks... so people who didn't like waiting in long lines for rides could have something to do right around the time the park fills up with people. And it seemed like a good way to pull some people out of lines who ordinarily might wait in line for a second/third/fourth ride, and give other people some shorter lines.

But now that I've seen some of these, it almost does the exact opposite... In Disneyland, you can barely move and you (er, *I*) get yelled at for trying to get from one part of the park to another efficiently. Your line for something across the park is effectively routed through narrow one-way corridors.

At DCA, it's pretty clear that it wasn't planned to give people something ELSE to do. And now WOC will be drawing extra people into the park who will be clogging the lines trying to get their rides in before most of the park closes for the show.

Goofy.

I think that where WOC will pay of, is in its versatility. Fantasmic is what it is, but I could see them changing WOC yearly or even seasonally once they've got the system totally worked out. I mean its like a movie theater, one movie gets old, you put in another one, and i would wager to say that it would be more cost effective for DCA to change the program as opposed to putting on a new parade or other entertainment.

Went to the park yesterday to experience WoC for ourselves.

Thankfully, on Thursday of last week the Picnic packages went on sale and we bought one for our family of 4. But since we were at the park early yesterday, we decided to "Double-Up" on our Fastpasses to make sure we got one of the good sections, or passes for the 2nd show since the Picnic covered the first show.

Showing up near Soarin' at 9:20am, this is the view I was greeted with.

The line actually moved pretty quickly, but boy was it long. Yes, that's the line going over the bridge past the FP machines.

The line went all the way behind Grizzly

This is where it turned around to go back to the FP machines.

By the time I got my passes, the line extended all the way from Sunshine plaza. The fastpass plan they have in place works VERY well though. The CM's take your passes and put them into the machines for you which solves the problem of guests who don't know how to use the machines holding up the line.

Of course, there are always those who are going to try and get away with something. Some guy in front of me was trying to get 8 passes for people who weren't even in the park. Now anybody who has been to the park (and I'm assuming this guy knows the rules as he was an AP) knows that you can't get a FP for anybody who hasn't used the pass for entrance. Same applies to these so PLEASE don't try and get away with anything, and PLEASE don't yell at the CM's when they can't give you 8 passes for a very popular show that has only been open for 2 days. I thought both CM's who were dealing with this guy handled it VERY well.

At about 6:00 and we decided to head over and pick up our Picnic. They have it set up in the wine bar area where they used to do the Receptions for Food and Wine. For the most part the set-up is really well done, although I think they need to have separate lines for people who have pre-paid and those that are trying to buy packages. And there WERE packages available for purchase yesterday as late as 6:30 (that I saw). Just FYI.

The Mediterranean Picnic

The All American

The European

Overall, we were all VERY impressed with the picnic and the value for what you get. You also can upgrade your meal to wine or beer for a small charge, so that was nice.

I do have 1 suggestion though, the cole-slaw and potato salad on the all american are VERY onion'y and since most "older" kids will probably be getting the chicken (like mine) they probably won't be eating them. Maybe an option to substitute a side for a bag of chips or something could be a good thing?

Other than that though, the food was VERY good and we will definitely be using the Picnic again when we go in 2 weeks.

After our picnic we headed over to the viewing area which opened about 7pm (even though the FP's say 7:30).

This was our view for the show.

They also did a little "interesting" show before the show. It was kind of campy, but it helps to pass the time.

WAY too much energy.

The characters were really cool though.

And then of course, there was the show.

Didn't take any pictures because I wanted to enjoy the show, plus there are SO many pictures out there already.

The show itself ... AMAZING. My expectations were high, but not "Disney Geek" high and I was blown away. I got chills a couple of times and teared up during the UP scene. That music does it to me every time. I can't help it. In our group of 7 there wasn't one of us who wasn't blown away. It was REALLY good and Disney has done a great job on this show. Sure, there are always a couple of minor things, but overall the show is an A+.

After the show the crowd control wasn't TOO bad ... but they could re-open the old Paradise Pier exit (is it even still there?) to alleviate some of the crowd control going through the park. From there it wouldn't be that bad of a walk to the structures. Just sayin'.

The other thing that was MOST impressive was that they didn't stuff everybody into the sections like sardines. There was actually room to breathe and stretch out when you need to. That was VERY nice compared to the way they pack you in for Fantasmic!. Kudos to Disney on making it a very pleasant viewing experience!!!

Checked out Glow Fest on the way out. Maybe it would be better if you were drunk?

Glo-Glo Dancer?

I heard on Saturday there weren't many people here, but last night it was pretty crowded.

Overall, a great day at the parks, a great show and spending time with great friends. Can't get much better than that!!!