TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Do they have any plans for the rapid ride? This is by far my favorite ride in the park, as well as my favorite rapids ride that I've been on. I'd hate to see it go or even get modified! Sorry, Im a sucker for the Sierra Nevada theming! (see my location)

Chris.

Do they have any plans for the rapid ride? This is by far my favorite ride in the park, as well as my favorite rapids ride that I've been on. I'd hate to see it go or even get modified! Sorry, Im a sucker for the Sierra Nevada theming! (see my location)

Chris.

nothing's planned. It's a good ride. I wish they had more of a storyline behind the ride...

In the model, beautiful btw, they have removed those ugly blue scream 1/2 tunnels and the Mickey behind the loop. Does that mean that they will actually be removed? Anyone?

I noticed the same thing, so I asked the staff at the Blue Sky Cellar. They said the tunnels stay.

IMHO, its better that way. Although I agree it is more aesthetically pleasing without the tunnels, the ride experience itself would suffer.

One of the things DL does better than DCA is hiding the park's location (namely Anaheim) from the guest's experience. Its hard to see outside the park, once inside. This creates a feeling that one has briefly left Orange County.

Removing the tunnels from Screamin', and thereby revealing Anaheim, would only disconnect the rider from an already tenuous suspension of reality.

Even better, fully enclose the whole coaster! Light tunnels! Maybe the one X2 was supposed to get...

The model was hastily created leaving many things out and moving other things (like Jumpin' Jellyfish) to where they really wont be going.

You'll notice the model completely lacks an entrance to California Screamin'. That doesn't mean in the future Screamin' will just sit there without an entrance. They just didn't have the time or effort to put the entrance in the model, especially when Screamin's entrance was totally irrelevant to the model's purpose which was to be a visualization of an idea of how Paradise Pier would look after the project was completed. Same goes for the scream shield tunnels.

• 1 month later...

I saw that today and immediatley thought Mickey either got his ear pierced or someone took a bazooka to Cali Screamin (that somehow didnt destroy the ride, just the ear......?).

Anyway im glad that logo is being removed, looked really strange and was an eyesore. Also saw a ton of work going on inside the lagoon which was kinda nice as its been drained for awhile and id never seen anyone actually working in it before today.

I'm the only one nerdy enough to notice this, but, there are new signs on paradise peer without the sun on the Ferris Wheel. Also, the Crush teaser for worlds of color looks really cool, although I am still not exactly sure what the show is. Is there a story line? or will it be more like the illuminations of the west, I'm guessing that will be the case.

One question for all the Disney Freaks out there. I noticed the colors for the sun wheel(mickey's fun wheel) is now black and red. Is that new for the Mickey Mouse theme, cause I kind of liked the classic look. I just don't think black and red when thinking Ferris Wheel.

Amanda and I decided to check out progress on Paradise Pier's 2009 projects today including World of Color, Games of the Boardwalk, and of course, Mickey's Fun Wheel which I am looking forward to later on this year.

9602086_012108MFWOverview2.thumb.jpg.418c37555103fc6fc67cf9ea8bdfc806.jpg

One last shot of Mickey's Fun Wheel

377742213_012108MFWScaffolding1.thumb.jpg.634bad672c00cae7080478030760937f.jpg

The new bright yellow color is being overlayed on the sunburst.

2086462842_012108MFWOverview1.thumb.jpg.21e3a47b9e973b452a3510c38474d7bf.jpg

I would guess that the painting of the main structure will be done some time in February.

1886017352_012108MFWPainting1.thumb.jpg.68fb9b8853234781bc0952b6b117ac9f.jpg

I personally love the red and black colors, Mickey's Fun Wheel will certainly stand out on the skyline.

26741418_012108MFWWall1.thumb.jpg.d707f3d539b22021a8ff7d982d082e0c.jpg

Crews are working behind these walls and high above Paradise Pier transforming Sun Wheel to Mickey's Fun Wheel.

880491260_012108GOTB1.thumb.jpg.c14ffb3a3a4a9eeee076b09b29785ad1.jpg

The Games of the boardwalk will match the structure of TSMM when they reopen in the spring.

668779201_012108Screamin2.thumb.jpg.b1f5165edb5319f475602dae6724ac0b.jpg

The sooner the ears come down, the sooner the beautiful new Paradise Pier sign can be put in place.

1761712496_012108Screamin1.thumb.jpg.e3c6aab307b4d5e6e8d32950788c286e.jpg

The waves won't be splashing along Screamin's launch run for quite some time. I hope the finished product will include the rockwork tunnel as seen on the model.

107078208_012108WOCFoundations1.thumb.jpg.93a9e4714edaff0201dbaeaf4cf6d88d.jpg

A lot of concrete was being poured for the water jet foundations today.

281951396_012108WOCWall1.thumb.jpg.ae781ae96c35190a420873e3215a690a.jpg

In front of this wall, the beginnings of the primary viewing area for World Of Color are taking shape.

1771595167_AmandaSeanIndy001.thumb.jpg.701f0fe9b6dcb4eaf1d8d5e547b6fa76.jpg

Me and the girls couldn't resist going next door to visit our Indy friends and take a jeep into the temple. Thanks for checking out the photos! More to come as the Pier continues to transform.

I'm the only one nerdy enough to notice this, but, there are new signs on paradise peer without the sun on the Ferris Wheel. Also, the Crush teaser for worlds of color looks really cool, although I am still not exactly sure what the show is. Is there a story line? or will it be more like the illuminations of the west, I'm guessing that will be the case.

One question for all the Disney Freaks out there. I noticed the colors for the sun wheel(mickey's fun wheel) is now black and red. Is that new for the Mickey Mouse theme, cause I kind of liked the classic look. I just don't think black and red when thinking Ferris Wheel.

You should go into the Blue Sky Cellar next time you're there and see all of the concept art for the renovations. Yes the new color scheme is going to be permanent for the new Mickie Mouse theme. I also can't wait for the Mickey Ears to come down!

If Paradise Pier comes out to look like Toy Story Midway Mania does than I am all for it. Right now TSMM sticks out because everything else looks so cheaply done compared to it. Thanks for the photos Sean.

Anyone know when Maliboomer is going to come down?

It is a shame they can't do something with those scream tunnels. They completely ruin the look of that ride.

As of right now, plans to take out Malibooomer have been cancelled to save money for Carsland so it won't be lackluster. I'm sure they will take it out in phase 2 of the DCA expansion after 2010

I am almost positive that Maliboomer will come down within the next couple years. I wouldn't expect to see demolition start on it until the rest of the pier is done and they have both Mickey's Fun Wheel and Silly Symphony Swings completed. It wouldn't make sense to have it come down while other nearby rides are under the knife.

I see more reasons for Maliboomer to go than stay... There is never much demand for this ride and it typically only runs one of its three towers. The fact that Knott's has a very similar, arguably better version of this ride is noticed by guests. The ride generates a lot of noise and the scream shields are just... ridiculous. It will look very out of place amongst the refurbished buildings and attractions. As far as I know there are at least three alternative plans for Maliboomer: 1) Retheme it to blend in with the new Paradise Pier, 2) Remove the ride for a rest area, and 3) Remove the ride for a replacement attraction, possibly a parachute tower during phase 2.

As much as I think the ride is fun, I think they could make better use of that space. I'm just hoping if it goes, maybe Anaheim can compromise and let DCA take those silly tunnels off of an otherwise beautiful California Screamin'.

^^I'm pretty sure I've heard that the parachute drop is just a placeholder on the Blue Sky Cellar model. I have heard talk of a parachute drop for the newly planned Toy Story area in Paris, though.

^I agree, that was a rather uninspired piece of decoration. "Come to DCA, where you can see a Mickey head made from Beige Steel." Striking.

From what I've been told they can't take Maliboomer out. I don:t really understand why this is a problem, but this is what I've heard:

The foundation holds back the sand that is surrounding Screamin's footers. If they took it out the sand would spill into it's crater. The sand is apparently necessary for Screamin's structure and the process to keep the sand from caving in was too expensive, for now.

Now I don't see how the sand is necessary since the footers must go into the ground, but that's what I've heard from management.

^^^ If Maliboomer was removed for a tower ride of similar height, like a parachute tower, I would assume the most economical thing to do would be to keep the existing foundation. It wouldn't have to be removed.

The parchute tower, while not set in stone and just one of many ideas, isn't just a placeholder on the model. I'm sure I've seen concept art of the paradise pier parachutes in Glendale. I hope they go through with it!

This wouldn't happen anytime soon, Screamin' would obviously have to close for demolition of Maliboomer and construction of its replacement. A good estimate would be that it wouldn't even close until Little Mermaid opens. If they don't remove Maliboomer, I'm sure they have some kind of overlay theming to help it blend into "Paradise Pier 2.0".

• 3 weeks later...
I am almost positive that Maliboomer will come down within the next couple years. I wouldn't expect to see demolition start on it until the rest of the pier is done and they have both Mickey's Fun Wheel and Silly Symphony Swings completed. It wouldn't make sense to have it come down while other nearby rides are under the knife.

I see more reasons for Maliboomer to go than stay... There is never much demand for this ride and it typically only runs one of its three towers. The fact that Knott's has a very similar, arguably better version of this ride is noticed by guests. The ride generates a lot of noise and the scream shields are just... ridiculous. It will look very out of place amongst the refurbished buildings and attractions. As far as I know there are at least three alternative plans for Maliboomer: 1) Retheme it to blend in with the new Paradise Pier, 2) Remove the ride for a rest area, and 3) Remove the ride for a replacement attraction, possibly a parachute tower during phase 2.

As much as I think the ride is fun, I think they could make better use of that space. I'm just hoping if it goes, maybe Anaheim can compromise and let DCA take those silly tunnels off of an otherwise beautiful California Screamin'.

I used to love it, but then we got Tower of Terror. Not only is the attraction themed to Disney standard, but the ride is also longer, and the second major drop(not the 2 beginning surprise drops) give a lot more airtime and feeling of being shot than maliboomer. That is some of the most intense ejector air time I have ever experienced, and given the fact that this ride is a "family attraction" as opposed to a pretty high height on maliboomer makes this an awesome ride. Beaten only by California Screamin and tied with GRR(in terms of theming and ride quality) for the best rides in the park.