TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Joey, do you even know what you're arguing anymore? I simply said the park looks bad. That's it. That's all that was initially said.

You're the one bringing up the guest experience and GR complaints and whether or not the guests will still enjoy the characters because of the construction walls and how everyone's perception of "show" is different and the overall philosophy of whether or not DCA was a good value to begin with, etc, etc. You've added all these additional "layers" of subjective criticism on top of my original comment. Why? I don't know. To prove some alternative point or try to convince people that construction walls and tractors sitting in a dried up lake are a GOOD thing to see when you go to a park? I don't get it. You even said yourself it looks like a construction site, and that's all I was saying. So what are you debating? The discussion is so convoluted that I'm not even sure at this point!

Again, all I said is the park looks looks bad in it's current condition. That was the ONLY point I made. You can argue all these other layers all you want, but I really feel my comment still stands....

"The park looks bad"

--Robb

^And all I am trying to say is "so what?."

I'm not trying to defend the park, or even claim it doesn't look ugly. I'm just saying why I don't think it's as big a deal.

I was also responding more to your implication that guests will be disappointed because the park doesn't look like it did in that screen grab.

The park definitely looks horrible. There's no doubting that. I personally wouldn't want my first visit to be during the construction phase, but that's just me. Also, I really didn't realize so much of it was still open. That's a great testimony to Disney. Is there any other park in the world that can pull something like this off? I mean, remaining 90+% operational while undergoing a billion dollar facelift?

With that said though, I still feel that everything in the park should be deeply discounted...(food, merchandise, and whatever else). If it already is, then feel free to correct me on that one.

It's probably true that most of the GP couldn't care less as long as the rides were running, but there's still a large portion of guests who realize they're paying for a unique experience if the park name has Disney in it. As of right now, that's not available, and therefore, it's not worth experiencing...in my humble opinion.

I was also responding more to your comments about how guests are being misled by that commercial.

I was pretty much just joking at that point! You should know this by now...set the stage...Alvey's apartment...

We're talking back and forth about how bad the park looks...there's a shot of Gregg's photo on one screen of a dried lake, scaffolding, and tractors...

Pan over to the other screen and you see the TV commercial "Come visit BEAUTIFUL California Adventure!!!"

Pan back to dried up lake and tractors.

LAUGH OUT LOUD!

Take picture.

Post picture.

/end story.

^I think you actually helped prove both our points. CA Adventure does absolutely lose some of what little "vibe" it had to begin with by having all the construction going on. And it's definitely ugly. But is that going to "kill" the Disney "show" for them? No way. They are still going to enjoy all the rides, characters, and so on.

No I proved (to myself anyway) that Robb's two main statements are true:

1. It sucks that the park looks like crap. This was all he said in the beginning.

2. He said that the locals/multiple visitors are not the ones that would care all that much. It's the one timers that are getting screwed out of the full experience. Even if they have fun, I know that Disney is selling (look at their current ads) the same experience that I had before and it is not true.

This whole discussion is kind of weird at this point. Arguing about what people feel when they look at something would look kind of bizarre in any other setting. A visit to an art museum would really be interesting.

2. He said that the locals/multiple visitors are not the ones that would care all that much. It's the one timers that are getting screwed out of the full experience. Even if they have fun, I know that Disney is selling (look at their current ads) the same experience that I had before and it is not true.

And to that extent, I posted about why I don't think that is as big deal as it is being made out to be.

But hey, look on the bright side...this project isn't being funded by the Yakuza. Or is it? That's what we should be talking about. Afterall, OLC has been paying Disney for their services/license. Maybe they used the tainted money from OLC to fund the DCA revamp?

I think the park looked horrible. I had no idea the level of what they're currently doing there. It really looks bad, and I can see why someone that had never visited would be bothered by it. There really should be a deep discount for admission, and not just for locals, given the state of the place.

Not that DCA was fun before they started ripping it apart, of course, but that's a whole other discussion...

dt

I rather enjoyed my one visit to DCA (a few years back, now). I honestly came away thinking that it was better than Animal Kingdom or Disney/MGM and wondering what everyone was complaining about.

But I agree that the park looks pretty bad at the moment, based on the photos I've seen. A two-day jaunt to SoCal sometime in September is currently a strong possibility, and I was thinking of doing both Disney parks. But, if it still looks like that, I'll almost certainly trade out DCA for KBF.

And to that extent, I posted about why I don't think that is as big deal as it is being made out to be.

I got that. Everyone has their own opinion about how big a deal it is. And the bottom line is it's a big deal to some and not a big deal to others.

But hey, look on the bright side...this project isn't being funded by the Yakuza. Or is it? That's what we should be talking about. Afterall, OLC has been paying Disney for their services/license. Maybe they used the tainted money from OLC to fund the DCA revamp?

Joey, I feel the difference between what you are saying and what others are saying is that your comments are subjective while others, including my own, are more objective.

"The park looks bad in it's current state." That's being objective. I'm not really basing it on my own personal opinion. It factually doesn't look like it's supposed to. It's not in the same state as the park that is being advertised. And that is totally NOT subjective. (Ok so maybe the word "bad" is slightly more subjective, but replace "bad" with "inaccurate" or "erroneous" and there you go. But if the general consensus is that the park looks "good" in it's normal state, then it would technically look "bad" in it's erroneous state.)

"I don't think that is as big deal as it is being made out to be." That's being subjective. And I don't think most people, including myself, think it's a big deal either. But some people, including yourself, are creating a bigger deal out of it than I originally intended.

--Robb

^What's that have to do with the yakuza?

Seriously though, as I said, I felt like it became a more subjective when the comment about the commercial came up. That was one of your worst jokes if the intent was to joke! No smiley, no sense of sarcasm, etc. So I missed the humor in that post and it went bad from there.

My original intent was just to say "meh...it's in the eye of the beholder. What's all the fuss about?!" and it went downhill from there. Oh well.

Have you been to WDW lately? More specifically Epcot? I have. Last week as a matter of fact. Hey, guess what?

THE PARK LOOKS AMAZING!

And stale parks? Epcot? Excuse me? Let's see, in the last 10 years that park has received almost as many attractions as DCA had for it's OPENING!

Test Track, Mission: Space, Soarin', Nemo along with re-hashes like the Spaceship Earth and Beaner Boat Ride makeover.

Not to mention they keep adding things seasonally to keep things fresh - Food and Wine Festival, Kim Possible, Flower and Garden, etc, etc...

Should I mention the stuff they keep rotating at Innoventions? The storm simulator, the "make your own video game" thing, etc? What about some major re-habs done to rides such as Living with the Land, Oh! Canada, etc, etc.

I think that Epcot may actually be the park that has recevied the MOST rehabs and updates than any other Disney park recently!

If you are calling Epcot "stale" or "in need of a re-hab" you CLEARLY don't know anything about the collection of parks Disney has to offer.

I was in Epcot over MLK weekend. I also visited in october. Nice try.

Test track opened in 1998. That would be 11 years ago.

Soarin - Oh Cool, Florida *finally* got something california had several years before.

Nemo - Clearly better in CA, but a good addition to the park.

But I will agree with you here, the park does look good. When I first visited in 2000, Epcot was very stale. It is much better now, so I will take back my comment about Epcot.

But you missed my main point

Arguments like yours only prevent change and sorely needed rehabs. This has become quite visible down in Orlando, where rides that are in desperate need of rehabs never receive some much needed TLC.

And, I also don't think there is any arguing that WDW as a whole has become much more "stale" than Disneyland.

I mean, when was the last time the Magic Kingdom got an E-Ticket? Splash Mountain??? That was 21 years ago. In fact, the only noteworthy addition in recent years has been philarmagic, but even that isn't worth seeing more than once or twice.

All I'm saying is that Disneyland does a much better job of keeping their parks fresh. But your argument really only hinders progress.

You really think so??? I prefer Nemo at EPCOT WAY more than the subs version.

In fact, the only saving grace for the subs is the fact that "Yay, I'm on the Subs again". Other than that, it's a waste of what, $130 million.

It's called "Finding Nemo" because you spend the whole ride looking for him, if your sitting in the wrong seat your outta luck.

In fact, the only saving grace for the subs is the fact that "Yay, I'm on the Subs again". Other than that, it's a waste of what, $130 million.

Sorry I just threw up a little bit in my mouth when I read that.

I've not had the opportunity to ride Nemo at Disneyland, but I did ride Nemo at Epcot twice. I like what they did there.

As for DCA, I've always liked it, but in five years, I'm sure I'll LOVE it! Toy Story Midway Mania is already a great start. The Little Mermaid ride and Radiator Springs Racers are two attractions that I look forward to. And the trolley down Hollywood Blvd. is a good addition.

Eric

As far as the WDW versus Disneyland debate, out of all of the parks Disney has I consider WDW's Magic Kingdom to be the most "complete" park out of the ones I have visited (DL, WDW, and DLP). They have a wonderful collection of rides including Disney staples (Small World, Jungle Cruise, Pirates) to newer attractions like Philharmagic, Laugh floor, and Stitch.

While I do agree that the Magic Kingdom could use some newer attractions, I would imagine that attendance would not rise there as much if a new ride went in at an "incomplete" park (Animal Kingdom being the worst in FL IMO). Adding an attraction to AK (i.e. Everest) helps drive attendance to levels where it should be. I can definitely see where DCA needs to expand to help its attendance out. However, I probably would have built the attractions that wouldn't cause so much disruption first like Carsland, then tackled the refurbishment of Paradise Pier and the main entrance in phases in the winter months. But, I know the carsland area will take years to build and these projects only a fraction of that time.

Just having everything happening to such a large area like Paradise Pier is what is making the construction stick out so much. Again, those that think that area isnt big are not realizing the size of the area in respect to the total size of DCA. Its as if half of the park is under construction due to the largest area of the park (water feature) being drained and worked on.

^ Whatever you say is correct on the moon.

Try removing these and walking around the park sometime...

Wow!!!

You're so hilarious robb!!! And so mature too!!!

And I worked Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin when I was in college. I've walked around the park hundreds of times.

And the differences between The Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are huge. Orlando gets away with things that would never fly in Anaheim.