TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^ hope your plans work out and you'll get to sample their delicious looking dishes.

I just made my lunch reservation for the following week and they had all times available. If you are thinking of making reservations it currently sounds like the 15th is the only completely booked day.

So the Park Blog has been going crazy with posts lately!! Here we go:

Take a Road Trip to California as We Gear Up for Disney California Adventure Park

posted on May 10th, 2012 by Michelle Harker, Merchandise Marketing & Communications Project Manager, Disneyland Resort

A few months ago, I gave you your first look at the Road Trip to California collection coming out this summer as part of the “Gear Up For Adventure” line at Disney California Adventure park. Well, I suggest you hold on and fasten your seat belts, because I’m about to get all up in your grill with these great new pin designs from our talented team of product developers and artists. Featuring many of Disney’s most beloved characters, villains, icons and attractions, this collection themed to Road Trip to California includes limited-edition pins, a boxed set, jumbo pins, a mystery set and even a pin with figurine.

Check out this pin and keychain set for Annual Passholders, which was actually inspired by a vintage car grill!

gua189570LARGE.jpg.40399560395585942f5c1d478319c7b7.jpg

When I asked Product Developer Jeanne Lewis about the direction they headed this year for the pin designs, here’s what she had to share: “We really wanted to take things to a different level, get under the hood and crank things up. So while Disney California Adventure park was indeed shifting gears, taking on a whole new look and feel, we wanted to make sure guests would be ready to roll when the time came and could, in a sense, ‘Gear Up For Adventure.’ That’s why, with the Annual Passholder pin, we paired it with a special keychain, which will accompany the pin as a set. And of course, we previously shared the map of the United States as we watched some of our favorite Disney characters hit the road.”

Other favorites among our artists include the Rules of the Road, which in a sense pays homage to many of the rules we should often remember when driving, including Cruella’s “Don’t Drive Angry” and Minnie Mouse’s “Don’t Pick Up Hitchhikers.”

gua809762LARGE.jpg.098ff57ba05890411a0ca5047e56d034.jpg

Or if you want to play the license plate game, be sure to count me in…because there is a great collection of vanity license plates available as a Mystery Set, which will feature pins themed to iconic attractions (classic and new) as well as Mad T Party and Cars Land designs.

So how can you make these pins yours? It’s easy!

Visit http://www.DisneyPins.com from June 6 – 20 and enter your name in the Online Wristband Opportunity.

Selected winners will have the opportunity to purchase the pins on the morning of June 29 at Disney’s Pin Traders.

To celebrate the release, Disney Design Group Graphic Designer Quynh Kimball and Senior Character Artist Monty Maldovan will be on hand from 9-11 a.m. at Disney’s Pin Traders and will make another special appearance again during the Disney Trading Night, taking place from 7-10 p.m. in the Pacific Ballroom at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel.

So I guess you could say we put the pedal to the metal this year…quite literally. Want to know if there’s more? Just wait until I show you some of the pins coming out later this summer. For a look at the collection and more details on the Online Wristband Opportunity, visit http://www.DisneyPins.com.

There’s not much more left to say…except for Road Trip! I call shotgun!

Disney Parks Blog

Disney Legend and Imagineer Alice Davis Honored with Window on Main Street, U.S.A. at Disneyland Park

posted on May 11th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Manager, Social Media and Print

Yesterday, Disney Legend and Imagineer Alice Davis was awarded one of the highest honors one can receive at the Walt Disney Company – her own window on Main Street, U.S.A at Disneyland park. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs and Disneyland Resort President George A. Kalogridis presented the window to Davis, which is located alongside the window honoring her husband, legendary Disney animator Marc Davis.

As a costume designer with Walt Disney Imagineering, Alice Davis collaborated with art director and fellow Disney Legend Mary Blair on the “it’s a small world” attraction for the 1964 New York World’s Fair, and later translated pirate attire from Marc Davis’ original drawings into clothing designs and patterns for Pirates of the Caribbean in 1965.

Take a look back at this special window dedication ceremony:

The tradition of dedicating windows at Disneyland park began more than 50 years ago when Walt Disney dedicated many of the windows along Main Street, U.S.A., to individuals who helped make the park a reality. It is a long-standing tradition to honor individuals who have had a significant impact on Disneyland park by dedicating a window to them. On the windows, honorees are made the proprietors of fictional businesses, usually relating to their occupation or hobby, which influenced the creation or operation of the park. To date, more than six dozen people have been honored with their own Main Street, U.S.A., windows.

Disney Parks Blog

Creating ‘Fantasmic!’ for Disneyland Park

posted on May 11th, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

“Fantasmic!”, the incredible nighttime spectacular at Disneyland park, marks its 20th anniversary this weekend. I’ll never forget the first time I saw the show. What had been a tranquil scene during the day was magically transformed at night by the power of Mickey’s imagination, and when the Sailing Ship Columbia fired its cannon and suddenly appeared as Captain Hook’s galleon during the show, it gave me goose bumps. It still does!

I recently had the opportunity to speak with Barnette Ricci, Vice President/Show Director of Special Events for the Walt Disney Studios, who 20 years ago was senior show director for Disneyland park. She shared some of her memories of creating Fantasmic!

fan118943LARGE.jpg.e8ee07d4d32fea021dc02c9606f28c4d.jpg

We had no new attraction opening that summer of 1992, so I was asked to create a show that could be marketed as something really special. I always felt that the [Rivers of America] was a truly unique venue, but I wanted to use it in a new way to create something different for our guests.

We researched all kinds of water-related special effects, and we discovered these water screens in France. We found that projecting animation footage on the water looked absolutely spectacular! By layering the dancing water fountains, special lighting, lasers, pyrotechnics and black light, along with live performers on watercraft and this new way to project animation on water, I was convinced all of these elements combined would create a rather exciting show!

It took months of searching through Disney film footage to find the right clips for the storyline and to create the film elements so they would look great on the water. We spent three months of ‘all-nighters’ out there on the river, programming all the effects and meticulously finessing the timing based on the time code of the film. Every burst of water, pyrotechnic, laser and live element had to be exactly timed and rehearsed to be in sync with what happened on the screen and with the fantastic musical score.

The show was originally called ‘Imagination’, as the title song implies, but everyone felt it needed a stronger title, so finally – and fortunately – it was renamed ‘Fantasmic!’

The first time we performed the show for a real audience, I was thrilled watching and hearing their reaction to the show. Words cannot express how proud I am of ‘Fantasmic!’ and how proud and thankful I am of everyone who worked so hard to bring it to life, and who continue to keep it going strong, night after night.

Disney Parks Blog

Sharing the Splendiful Sounds of the Mad T Party at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on May 11th, 2012 by Robin Trowbridge, Entertainment Show Director, Disneyland Resort.

Ladies and gentlemen, moms and dads, boys and girls, and Hatters of all ages! T-Time is coming soon to Disney California Adventure park! The party is almost ready – the decorations are going up and, the invitations have been sent and, of course, we are preparing the most wondiferous music your ears have ever heard! It’s almost time to let the Futterwacken begin!

But first, let me share with you a little about the music …

mht110100SMALL.jpg.a0ea68455307e5223f522e52982d7636.jpgmht440949SMALL.jpg.5a20f354013c813658ebc5d2cb1545ee.jpgmht660069SMALL.jpg.dc09675fff43bdf811477f23b045bdaf.jpgmht220022SMALL.jpg.936df89b8c9e790cbf58634de169cc3e.jpgmht550599SMALL.jpg.2765288a332481a74a57c8866a4257be.jpgmht330399SMALL.jpg.f3e67e4ef785ceac9214fde53745fac6.jpg

Our Mad T Party band will rock out each night, their playlist overfizzing with a multitude of party favorites, both old and new. In fact, the Mad Hatter has put together a list of songs – from Bruno Mars to the Beatles … from Maroon 5 to Prince … and from Gwen Stefani to Lady Gaga! These are songs that invite you to “Just Dance“… “Raise Your Glass”…“Go Crazy”…and show off your “Moves Like Jagger!”

You won’t want to miss the fantabulous Mad T Party band as they invite everyone to join in for the most fuminous T-Time ever!!

But that’s not all! Whenever the band is offstage, some of the most popular DJs around will kick up the party with their own special brand of musical magic!

mht707070LARGE.thumb.jpeg.7c90e667682f5fb5d83f45617f77581d.jpeg

Throughout the summer, taking on the role of the “White Rabbit DJ” will be Jason Jass, Michael Paul, Adam Auburn, Mi$$y B, David Bullock and Wendy Walker!!

These talented DJs will serve up the maddest mixes of muchness … the most popular tunes … the latest dance hits … and the best beamish beats that will make you bonkers … but, I’ll tell you a secret: all the best people are!

Well, the clock is ticking; we have much more to do in order to prepare a party as grand as this one! We have to secure the Rabbit Hole, stack the House of Cards, and find the Hatter’s hat! So much has been done, and there’s so still much to do. Mad T Party is coming, and we hope to see YOU! Oh, and don’t forget, HATS are always welcome when you show up for T!

Disney Parks Blog

Disneyland Resort Guided Tours: Cultivating the Magic

posted on May 11th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Manager, Social Media and Print

tyl123234LARGE.jpg.3a7b3774c584da1d4093b0fc9593e202.jpg

I’ve told you about the Welcome to the Disneyland Resort and Discover the Magic guided tours, and today I’m excited to let you know that an all-new Disneyland Resort guided tour is available – Cultivating the Magic! The first new guided tour to launch at the Disneyland Resort since 2005, this tour lets you experience the story of Disneyland park as told through the plants.

With the Cultivating the Magic Guided Tour, you will learn about the landscapes and gardens that have transformed 260 acres of orange groves into Disneyland park. It’s not just pointing out plants – you discover how horticulture is used to tell a story and how it helped achieve Walt Disney’s vision for his original Magic Kingdom.

On your tour, you will also experience select Disneyland park attractions in a whole new way and learn about the historical significance of trees that you may have walked past dozens of times in past visits to the park.

Here are some things you should know about the Cultivating the Magic Guided Tour:

The tour is approximately approximately two hours long.

Theme park admission for Disneyland park is required to attend the tour.

The tour leaves from Disneyland park Tour Gardens (left of City Hall) on Saturdays and Sundays at 9 a.m. and Mondays at 10 a.m.

All guests who participate receive a collectable souvenir pin and exclusive seed packet.

Attractions and entertainment are subject to change without notice.

For pricing and booking information (and to find out about a special discount for Disney Rewards Visa and AAA card holders, Disney Vacation Club members and Disneyland Resort Annual Passport holders) call 714-781-TOUR (8687). Also, be sure to check out the other Disneyland Resort Guided Tours at Disneyland.com/Tours.

Disney Parks Blog

Carnation Café Reopens June 13 at Disneyland Park

posted on May 14th, 2012 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

At last! An expanded and spruced-up Carnation Café is getting ready for its debut June 13 on Main Street, U.S.A., in Disneyland park. There’s more seating, including indoor tables – and yes, cast member Oscar Martinez is back.

pam118944LARGE.jpg.c7586a181ca2759aa209200880d66bd2.jpg

Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the new menu includes updated versions of classic comfort food, and a few of Walt’s favorites. For breakfast, the legendary Oscar’s Choice is back, with two eggs, breakfast potatoes and biscuit with bacon or (new) chicken-apple sausage links. They’ve added yummy apple-granola pancakes and a hearty huevos ranchero with corn tortillas, poached eggs, salsa and an avocado-black bean pico de gallo. And if you’re behaving, a healthful spinach-and-egg white frittata.

pam228944LARGE.jpg.064c2e85608b21be5ef7cbdf9f7cf388.jpg

Lunch and dinner bring back the classic baked potato soup, and add a couple of “Walt’s favorites:” beef-and-pork meatloaf, served with trendy edamame succotash, and fresh fish, a sustainable catch of the day. Be completely decadent and have the Walt’s favorite chicken fried chicken breast with mashed potatoes, or enjoy a vegan burger. We can’t wait to try the green chile cheeseburger with a fried egg on toasted brioche. (Do we dare add a classic chocolate malt?)

Kids’ meals include chicken fried chicken with mashed potatoes and veggies, a burger and fresh fruit or mac & cheese with fresh fruit.

Reservations may be made by calling the Disney Dine Line (714-781-DINE) or emailing dining reservation requests to dine@disneyland.com.

Disney Parks Blog

Disney•Pixar’s ‘Brave’ to Join ‘World of Color’ at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on May 14th, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

This time next month, all the new entertainment and attractions at Disney California Adventure park will be open for you to enjoy. I, for one, can’t wait to see everything. June 15 will be a full day of memorable experiences, capped off with the stunning “World of Color” nighttime spectacular!

Since “World of Color” made its debut back in 2010, the show has featured occasional updates and surprises, delighting audiences with forays into new worlds ranging from “TRON: Legacy” to “Prep & Landing.” Just in time for one of the biggest summers in Disney California Adventure park history, “World of Color” is set to introduce another new sequence, inspired by the Disney•Pixar film “Brave.”

mer118932LARGE.thumb.jpg.dbaa69e158f0023bd4067cd94082b00d.jpg

Set to “Brave” composer Patrick Doyle’s stirring Scottish score, the sequence introduces us to the film’s adventurous heroine Merida, as she races across the Scottish Highlands, bow and arrow in hand, on her faithful horse Angus, and follows the mysterious will o’ the wisps on an epic journey to change her fate.

“Brave” opens in theaters June 22, but you’ll be able to catch the “Brave”-inspired sequence in “World of Color” starting June 15.

and below in the comments:

Shawn Slater on May 14th, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Ricky and Alexander, the “Brave” segment will be incorporated into the main show, just as the extended “Pirates of the Caribbean” sequence was last summer. With the addition of “Brave,” the “Pirates” segment will return to its original length, but still remain part of World of Color.

Disney Parks Blog

Any of you guys wanna see Cars Land and Buena Vista Street before everyone else? Here's a way to do so!

You can buy a ticket to a special event!

$50, $75, and $500 packages are available to Annual Pass Holders and D23 Members for two dates!

Get them while they last!

Special Event Tickets

And look what happened to Monorail Orange!

363564_c_img.jpg.baccdb14a85eac5f0429bdf8cbd407ed.jpg

Photo courtesy Mice Chat

What kind of drugs were these people on when they OK'd the costumes for the Mad T Party?

It boggles the mind.

Am I the only one who thinks its a little strange that they call it "Mad T Party?" Commonly known in the drug community, "T" is short for "Tina" which represents Crystal Meth. It's pretty well known in California. Gross.

^^We discussed this several pages ago. Very odd indeed!

That's cool they're doing the previews that benefit the Children's Hospital. I remember that's how I went to DCA for the first time!

Edited by SharkTums

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/three-new-faces-come-to-the-disneyland-resort-manny-mandy-and-mona-monorails/

mon116785LARGE.jpg.fb4348554158f9481de83f68b284019a.jpgIf you’ve been to the Disneyland Resort in the past couple of days, you may have noticed a few new faces along the Disneyland Monorail line. Here to welcome their “Cars” friends to Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park, Mandy and Mona Monorails began making trips around the resort yesterday – and they will soon be joined by a third friend, Manny Monorail. You can tell each by their colors: Mandy Monorail is blue, Mona Monorail is orange and Manny Monorail will be red.

mon226785LARGE.jpg.aa117a0da78364baa387f75ee619c558.jpg

Each Monorail has its own personality, which Disneyland Resort guests will certainly hear when riding. Manny, Mandy and Mona Monorails are taking charge of the overhead announcements themselves – providing a new experience along the “Highway in the Sky.”

Come take a ride on the Disneyland Monorail and visit our three newest Disneyland Resort friends – Manny, Mandy and Mona Monorails!

Anyone else going to be there on June 15th?

I'll be there on the 15th! I don't plan on riding anything, but I do want to sit above at the wine bar and watch all the crazy happen haha.

I may join you there, as I know it's going to be bat(poop) insane!!

I'm nervous though. It'll likely be worse than the spring break crowd.

Understatement of the year!! It will probably make you dream of the quietness of the spring break crowds.

Truth be told, I'll probably have to watch for updates here, and on FB, as I imagine that the park may be closed at some point due to reaching its capacity. (ala - New Years Eve)

JJ