TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

~ ~ ~ ~

Thankyou For Smoking

8/10

Great film. Funny and on the button about lobbyists and the tobacco industry covering it's....um....butt?

Nobody dies (onscreen), or gets blown up. No massive EPIC SCALE screen stuff. Just a well-written screenplay and some excellent actors putting in their time, showing a rather freaky mainstream part of the American Landscape.

Heck, even the Marlboro Man shows up!(Sam Elliot...mmmmmm.) Good film.

POSEIDON 8/10 - The effects were AMAZING but the storyline was as follows. Boat flis over, people die and are trapped in BIG room. Peopl defy captains orders to stay in room, people leave, and try to get to the bottom (now top) of the boat!! Fergie from BEP is in so that gave it a point, again effects were AMAZING. I was constantly on the edge of my seat, but i'm not good with the whole watching people die and dismemberment thing, so i cringed a little, if your aquaphobic and/or claustrophobic DON"T watch this movie. I thought it would make a good ride though

Hostel 5/10. What the hell was the point of this movie? I guess the gore, of which there really wasn't much. Some of the cinematography was nice, but the storyline and dialogue really sucked. And Jay Hernandez sucks, too.

Mystery, Alaska 7/10. Good hockey movie. Amusing storyline, decent acting, nothing great but still fun to watch.

Posiden: Rating 9/10

The Titantic of the 2000's. I thought that this movie was very well thought out. The visual effects are a total mind-blower. I think that the cast made the movie seem like reality, great bunch of actors. Seems like Titantic but totally different. Your really can't compare the two except that both ships sunk, people lived and people died. This movie had so many worst case senarios..to die from at that: Flash-fires, flooding, explosions and damage electrical wiring. Great Movie!

Crash was the last "Best" movie I have seen, still need to rent "Munich" and am going to see "The Da Vinci Code". I read the book before it became so popular and I want to see how it translates to the Big Screen.

- - - -

Mission: Impossible 3

7/10

Eh. It was alright. Nice to see Philip Hoffman taking a few hits here and there, lol.

I actually feel (IMhO) the first two were better than this third one. Not sure why, exactly right now. Just because....

Camera work excellent, stunts amaaazing, Cruise was.... well, Cruise. And lots of 'stuff' onscreen that only "onscreen" could allow so...Ginormously, heh heh.

Still. Eh.

I saw posidon the other day and it was great! Very intereactive too...

Everytime the people in the movie needed to go underwater everyone in the theater, LITERALLY, everyone i saw in the theater, held their breath. (To see how realistic the movie was, i guess)

It was weird, and funny as hell when me and my friend looked at eachother, noticed we wern't breathing, then turned around and saw a theatre full of bloated faces all doing the same.

Rented Woody Allen's Match Point last weekend...excellent. 8.5/10, definitely one of the best movies I've seen from 2005....right up there with Crash and Syriana as the best of last year, in my opinion. Though, I'm hoping to get a chance to rent Munich this weekend.

I saw posidon the other day and it was great! Very intereactive too...

Everytime the people in the movie needed to go underwater everyone in the theater, LITERALLY, everyone i saw in the theater, held their breath. (To see how realistic the movie was, i guess)

It was weird, and funny as hell when me and my friend looked at eachother, noticed we wern't breathing, then turned around and saw a theatre full of bloated faces all doing the same.

i would love to see you watching fish documentaries, haha

^Yeah, actually it would.

I saw The Da Vinci Code on opening night. It was excellent. I have not read the book, and if I had that could have lowered my opinion of the movie slightly, but I loved it. It was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be, and I also love anything about history. It was very good, and I highly recommend it.

I watched Adaptation last night. It was a very well-crafted film, and the acting was superb.

I also watched the Village last night. M. Night is amazing at creating suspense, but other than that, well......

United 93 10/10

My dad took our family to see this last night and it was VERY well done. The acting was perfect (some people were playing themselves) and the story was told almost to the point. A LOT of language, some very intense violence sequences, but overrall it was a VERY good movie. So you should go see it.

---Brent

Batman Begins- 9.5/10

So, WB decided to resurrect the dark knight again after the god awful nipple-suited suckfest known as Batman and Robin. The storyline? The basic origin of how Bruce Wayne decided to become Batman to defend the corrupt Gotham City since his parents death. Some points in the movies were a little confusing, but it was overall a good movie. Scarecrow was a good villain and Christian Bale done the best job as Batman. Can't wait for the sequel if the ending scene with the (insert spoiler here if you saw it) would make another good movie. My only concern about the sequel... get Jack Nicholson...

Other than that, Batman Begins got rid of the bad tastes of the Schumacher movies. Admit it Joel, Falling Down was the only good movie done by him and forget his version of "Phantom of the Opera".

Ah, lets see:

When a Stranger Calls: Rating 8/10

Many people that I have come across said that this movie was garbage. While it is not the best, it is surely far from garbage. I though it was pretty decent, though it remined me of "Phone Booth", way to much of the movie was thrown away due to the continuous focus of the damn phone. Also what the hell is up with the "Stalker", he didn't even have a reason for stalking the girl (Not that he's really supose to, but thats how it usually is in those types of movies. For example: could be bad a break up between dude and girlfriend, he still wants her, She moves on and finds another guy, he's jealous and decideds to stalk and then attack her. See, Cause and Effect. It wasen't really like that in this move, but good none-the-less. Recommended.

Saw DaVinci Code on Monday.

I had read the book right after it came out and before it exploded into the multi-million unit sales, so I knew what was coming next (though I had forgotten a couple of little things along the way). The movie was a 7/10- 7.5/10. ANY actor could have played Tom Hank's part. He didn't do a bad job of it in any respect, but in his character, there is really not much that any "A" actor could not have done. Harrison Ford, Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise, . . .etc. it really wouldn't have mattered. He neither adds or subtracts from the role. I WAS impressed with the French guy who is the head of Police in Paris in the movie, and with the guy who played Silas.

The movie is shot with dark undertones and lighting, so none of the scenes jump out at you. If you have read the book, Ron Howard did a great job of interpreting it, however, also, if you have read the book, you will know already that it's more cerbreal and less adrenaline. Still, a good way to blow a few bucks.

I went to the first showing of X-Men 3: The Last Stand last night, at midnight.

OMFG. There were so many nerds there, it was just ridiculous! Some guy brought like all the X-Men comics and was reading them.

But other than that, the movie was awesome!

I especially like the music in it, very poetic I guess you could say.

Plus some pretty "WTF?!" scenes which were definitely cool.

4 / 5

I watched the TV movie version of Desperation on Tuesday. First off, I have read the book and love it. However, the movie was awful, even for a TV movie. It was incredibly boring, they basically changed everything from the book, and it was just awful. Also, big, drawn out events in the book, were over in three seconds in the movie. Despite all of this, I am glad the movie was made. I saw the advertisements for the movie two weeks before it aired, and I liked the plot, so I read it. If the movie was never made, I probably would have never read the book. Because of that, I am glad the movie was made. I would definitely recommend reading the book (Desperation, by Stephen King) but don't worry about watching the movie.

~ ~ ~

Over The Hedge

9/10

I loved it! I laughed so much during the final several minutes of it, I just couldn't stop.

Very fast paced, good characters, and a nice little story line. Simple - until, of course more complications arise during said plot, heh heh.

I also find myself liking some actors better as voice actors, i.e. Gary Shandling here. Was very funny with Bruce Willis to bob back and forth verbally with.

Good funny fast movie. See it for the Squirrel!

I watched a few films somewhat recently.

Ice Age 2 - quite good and funny. I don't know how to compare this to the first Ice Age, because I don't remember much of it.

The Pink Panther (2006) - I think it was really funny at times, because of Steve Martin's French and stupidity, which is really quite cheap humor, but worked on me. Other than that it was just alright.

Saw II - First of all I have to say, that I haven't seen the first Saw. This was quite good, I liked it, the length of the movie was good. The plot was quite good, a bit 'messy' at times, but still good enough. I thought it would be more gory.

The Kentucky Fried Movie - A very random movie from the 70's. Some bits of it was really fun, but most of it was quite boring, nothing special, not so funny.