TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

I have seen 2 musicals live

Lion King (saw it twice but once in the Pantageous(sp) and once at a performing arts center so the pantageous was better.

Also Beauty and the Beast but I hated it because I was like 3 or 4 and there is a difference between a musical and a movie and I remember the beast actor being really good, but the wolf part as well as the sudden anger of the beast was a little over whelming. In the end my Grandma took me to the bathroom (I was so young I may have been younger and wearing a diaper, in fact probably as the show was at least three hours long). In the end I was justy pushed around in a stroller and the only reason I know this is my grandpa took some video and after the show narrated the entire thing that just happened.

I now really enjoy Sweeney Todd and really want to see it as a play but I heard the movie is close. I also like the music man.

I am looking forward to Repo but am kind of sad as it is only playing in 4 cities. here's the link, the guy who directed the original saw is the director.

I'm also a fan of tons of others, especially Rocky Horror, Cabaret, The Last Five Years, Spamalot, and Avenue Q, just to name a few.

I'm so glad you mentioned The Last Five Years! I have not seen the show, but I have completely fallen in love with the soundtrack. The music is amazing, especially for just two people to carry the whole show. I would love to see it!

I've seen Miss Saigon twice, and it will always be a fave, even though it's completely heartbreaking, it's so beautiful. Saw Oklahoma and loved it. Saw Chicago, thought it was meh; still love the music though. Love the music from Wicked, but have yet to see the show. The same for Thoroughly Modern Millie and Hairspray; love the music but haven't seen the shows. Les Miz, of course, though I've only seen a high school production of it, the music is fabulous.

And of course there are the musicals that I've been in: Once Upon a Mattress, Annie, Peter Pan, Little Shop of Horrors, The Robber Bridegroom, The Wizard of Oz.

And my husband was in 1776.

Did someone a few pages back say they didn't like musicals because they weren't gay? I hope that was a joke. I didn't know you had to be gay to like musicals; you should tell that to my husband.

Hairspray (Movie) was amazing. I have the soundtrack to that too! I want to see it on Broadway. Or tour. Whichever.

Looks like it'll be a tour to see, since this Broadway show has also now set a closing date of January 4th.

The Good News is, Harvey Fierstein is coming back to do Edna during it's closing weeks, starting November 11.

OK My list

1) Spring Awakening (most amazing thing ive seen on stage.....ever)

2) Sweeney Todd (Stage version only, the movie version, not so great)

3) [Title of Show] (Hillarious, im so sad it closed)

4) RENT (Yes....i cried when Angel died)

5) Spamalot

6) Porgy and Bess

7) Funny Girl

8) Legally Blonde the Musical

So many others could have been on this list, if the casts i saw of them, werent so horrid

Im a theatre geek.

Here's my list, in no particular order:

In Theatres:

Spring Awakening (one of my absolute favorite shows ever)

Avenue Q

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

The Phantom of the Opera

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

RENT

Wicked

Sweeney Todd (the revival, which wasn't that stellar)

Mamma Mia

Spamalot

Camelot (Terrible show)

Hairspray

Lion King

Gypsy

The King and I

Grease

In High Schools:

Beauty and the Beast

Little Shop of Horrors

Willy Wonka

Funny Girl

and I'm sure there are a few others

Shows I've Been in:

Footloose

Wonderland

On The Town

and I'm going to be in The Wiz later this year

Shows I Want to See:

The Last 5 Years

Songs for a New World

Les Mis

In The Heights

Passing Strange

The Drowsy Chaperone

Finding Nemo (At Animal Kingdom)

Into The Woods

See What I Wanna See

and I'm sure there are more

I'm so glad you mentioned The Last Five Years! I have not seen the show, but I have completely fallen in love with the soundtrack. The music is amazing, especially for just two people to carry the whole show. I would love to see it!

I was obsessed with The Last Five Years when it ran Off-Broadway, and saw it around 5 times or so. Everything about that show is beautiful. I was just listening to my favorite song from it, "If I Didn't Believe In You" - LOVE the lyrics in that.

The Good News is, Harvey Fierstein is coming back to do Edna during it's closing weeks, starting November 11.

Harvey is beyond fabulous in Hairspray! I'm so thrilled that he'll be the final Edna.

I've seen a ridiculous amount of musicals, but my favorite has always been Les Miz. I honestly don't even know how many times I've seen it.

Same.

I think I've seen it about 30ish times now and I get so bummed that it doens't seem to play or tour as much as it did even just a few years ago.

I would think it has a strong enough following to still play on a tour in decent size theaters.

The one that played in Philly had it's last night the day we came into PHL for the east coast trip. I looked into going that night and the theater was only 10 miles from the hotel but we just had so much work to do for that trip that it was impossible to go.

Oh well....

--Robb "Would you believe that before coasters I was into theater?" Alvey

Musicals seen live:

- Hairspray (Broadway)

- Wicked (Chicago)

- Sweeney Todd (Chicago)

- Lion King (Tampa)

Seen in video (live performance):

- Legally Blonde (MTV)

Seen in movie version:

- Chicago

- Hairspray

- Mamma Mia

- The Phantom of the opera

- The Producers

- Rent

- Sweeney Todd

All time favorite live: Wicked

All time favorite Movie: Rent

I liked:

- Moulin Rouge

- Hairspray

- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

- The Rocky Horror Picture Show

- Mamma Mia!

- Across the Universe

- Chicago

I may have forgotten a few.

I can't wait to see Repo! The Genetic Opera on DVD...I'm not really happy on how they made the number of theaters limited, but it looks AMAZING.

The one that played in Philly had it's last night the day we came into PHL for the east coast trip. I looked into going that night and the theater was only 10 miles from the hotel but we just had so much work to do for that trip that it was impossible to go.

That's too bad - The recent Philly production was outstanding. I wish I could have seen that one more than once but I never made it back there.

I read somewhere that it might tour again, possibly next year. I hope that's true, since it always seems to do well. Though I think most productions of Les Miz these days are the "school edition".

I just bought the soundtrack for Sweet Charity, with Christina Applegate. It's pretty good. I had only heard a few of the songs before, but they're all good.

While I didn't love Sweet Charity that much, Christina Applegate was surprisingly good in it!

Yay! Finally a post on these forums that i know something about!!

Favorite Musicals:

Spring Awakening

Les Miz

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Wicked

Bare: a pop opera

Edges; a song cycle

7 Brides for 7 Brothers

Rent

Hairspray

There are many more and i'm sure i will check this thread often and update more.

I just bought the soundtrack for Sweet Charity, with Christina Applegate. It's pretty good. I had only heard a few of the songs before, but they're all good.

While I didn't love Sweet Charity that much, Christina Applegate was surprisingly good in it!

Yeah, I was surprised to hear her on the soundtrack. I had no idea she could sing, but she sounds really good. Some of the songs are very catchy. But again, it's another show I haven't seen, only heard. So I have no idea what the show is actually like!

I've gotten my 3-year-old hooked on musicals. She can sing along to all the soundtracks I have.

Musicals = Love

I've seen:

Phantom of the Opera

Les Miserables

Flower Drum Song

Hairspray

Wicked

Rent

Avenue Q

Jersey Boys

Jesus Christ Superstar

Miss Saigon

I've never seen a musical i didn't enjoy, but the one i left the most touched by was definitely Miss Saigon.

It made my cry harder than any story ever has.

The show ends right after the most emotional collection of scenes and it was just amazing seeing the lights come on and looking around, seeing absolutely everyone, and i literally mean everyone, in tears.

It was beautiful, tragic, and absolutely amazing.

I pray for a Broadway revival becuase the new generation of theatregoers deserve to see this gem of a show...

and because it needs a predominately asain cast... which works well for me. =]

I've never seen a musical i didn't enjoy, but the one i left the most touched by was definitely Miss Saigon.

I knew nothing about Miss Saigon before I saw it, and the ending absolutely killed me.

On a lighter note, I have to add that I saw the new Broadway musical Shrek over the weekend. It just started performances, and it needs a bit of work here and there, but overall, I had so much fun! This is one I would definitely see again.

--Robb "Would you believe that before coasters I was into theater?" Alvey

Robb, let's go to HHN next year and dress up for Rocky Horror. It shall be quite entertaining!

Absolutely! When I was 17 I was in a the Rocky troupe in my area.

By the way, I'm listening to The Rocky Horror Punk Show right now. I'm pretty sure I like Rocky Horror *slightly* more than Wicked.

I don't know what it is about Wicked but I have absolutely zero desire to see it. I think it's partically because (and many of the TPR gays are going to hate me for this) but I just can't stand Wizard of Oz.

I could never watch the movie and I cringe every time the Great Movie Ride goes through that part.

--Robb

^What I think so many people love isn't so much that it's related to The Wizard of Oz as much as it's that the title character. Elphaba, is *THE* Ultimate Outcast, she's the fat kid, the gay kid, the emo teen, the kid who was the victim of the "popular" crowd in school, the ugly kid, etc. The entire show is about acceptance and overcomming major obstacles. It's about becoming the person who you want to be, not who some else wants you to be. The entire production is just so over the top from the sets and costumes and the range that the performances need from the two leads, which isn't the most demanding, but makes for a damn good show.

That said, I really want to see it again lol.