TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^^ I've always been afraid to see a high school production of Les Mis.

I just can't imagine a bunch of kids handling that material well.

Actually there's a school version of the show that's quite a bit less challenging (but no less fantastic, of course). That's the one we're doing.

Anyway, I auditioned today (for Marius and Enjolras) and I think I did pretty well.

Everyone had to sing a cut from "Do You Hear the People Sing?" (Do you hear the people sing, singing the songs of angry men...) the girls sang a cut from "Fantine's Death" (Come to me, Cosette, the light is fading...), and the guys sang a cut from "Drink With Me" (Drink with me to days gone by...).

Callbacks are on Thursday and the cast list is going to be up on Friday. I'll keep you posted.

I've seen and loved:

wicked

Spring Awakening

Marry Poppins

I have the soundtrack to and will eventually see (or would love to have seen):

Hairspray

Avenue Q

A Chorus Line

Rent

[Title of Show]

A New Brain

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

The Lion King

Little Shop of Horrors

Movie Musicals I love:

Hairspray

Chicago

Dreamgirls

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Moulin Rouge

RockyHorror Picture Show

Musicals I want to see and/or hear:

90 minute Vegas Phantom

Spamalot

Young Frankenstein

Rocky Horror Show

Les Mis

and many many more I'm sure

Musicals I have seen are:

Rent

Lion King

Wicked

Cats

Phantom of the opera

The producers

Rocky Horror picture show

Want to see

Avenue Q

Hairspray

Chorus line

Drowzy Chaperone

the list goes on and on!

Seen many movie musicals my mom had me watch a lot of them way too many to list.... Bottom line I love musicals

The ones that I have seen would go in this order:

-Rocky Horror Show. It was just the most enjoyable two hours I've ever spent in a theater.

-Avenue Q

-The Producers

-The Lion King

-The Phantom of the Opera

-My Fair Lady

-Follies

-Wicked

-Cats

I just didn't like Wicked, there just seemed to be some "spark" missing from it.

And Cats was really, really good when it was good, but most of the time, it was just dull and felt pretty pointless.

The ones I really, really want to see are:

-Hairspray

-Spamalot

-Little Shop of Horrors (but, I think I've missed it in London now )

-Chicago

-Rent

And I've been in Cabaret and Guys and Dolls.

I would put the ones I've seen more like this:

Wicked

Les Miserables (haven't actually seen it yet, but I know the music)

Into the Woods

Urinetown

----

Grease (at the bottom)

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (bad music, bad writing, bad interpretation)

The others are a complete mesh. There isn't really an order.

Hairspray

The Lion King

Fiddler on the Roof

Beauty and the Beast

West Side Story

Guys and Dolls

There are more, but I can't think at 6:30am.

^That's a movie musical. And a parody. Not quite what we're talking about.

Well, I just got home from a grueling 3 1/2 hour callback session.

I hope more than anything that I'm going to get Marius. I feel like I sang "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" and "A Heart Full of Love" really well. I'm really quite terrified that my teacher is going to cast me as Valjean, which is the one part I really would not be happy with.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

My favorite has been Wicked.

I have also liked (only including those that I have seen a live production of): 42nd Street, Rent, Mama Mia, Chicago, Annie, Bye Bye Birdie, The Sound of Music, Lil' Abner, Miss Saigon, and Cabaret.

Grease and Rocky Horror are good too...but I've never seen them on stage (audience participation doesn't count).

Rent is my favorite that I've actually seen on Broadway.

The Lion King was pretty good, didn't actually see it on Broadway though but in Memphis performed by a traveling company.

My favorite that I was in back in high school was Sweet Charity, probably.

Didn't know there were so many musical-lovers out there...

It may not be Broadway or the West End, but there's a little Theatre in Brentwood (England) that does the most fantastic pantomime-like shows! I first saw Meg and Mog there about 4 or 5 years ago and, for a low-budget, local venue, it was pretty realistic! They even got a broom to fly without wires! (although the trick is ruined if you sit at the edges). Each year the shows seem to get better and better.

They aim it at kids, but there are some jokes that adults will laugh at, but there's loads of audience participation, very few actors, but it feels magical!

Heh, this may seem like advertising, but if anyone lives in or near Brentwood (either than myself or Thorpe park maniac), I hope you go along this year! It's well worth the £10 you may have to pay for transport or entry!

I didn't get Marius.

I got three nameless characters who apparently have big solos. I don't have much of a problem with that. Life goes on.

It's a shame to hear you didn't get what you wanted, but it's even better you're still going through with the performance!

Remember: saying 'good luck' is bad luck,

saying 'MacBeth' in a theatre will probably kill you

and last of all: Have fun!

The Lion King (The intro nearly made me cry, it was fudging fantastic!)

I LOVE the intro to Lion King, I was lucky enough to get an Isle seat both times i saw it (on Broadway and on tour).

Other Favorites:

Phantom of the Opera, such an awesome story (the hopeless romantic in me talking)

Les Miserables, again amazing story, just an all around great play.

Spamalot, I had to leave the theater once cause I was laughing so hard.

Wicked, Defying Gravity blew me away.

RENT, have yet to see it live, but the Movie was amazing.

It's a shame to hear you didn't get what you wanted, but it's even better you're still going through with the performance!

Remember: saying 'good luck' is bad luck,

saying 'MacBeth' in a theatre will probably kill you

and last of all: Have fun!

Yes, there's no way I wouldn't do this show. It's too incredible to pass up.

It just feels weird that I stayed until the 6:00 after school with only three other guys and sang for Javert, Veljean, and Marius over and over and over and I didn't even get a part that has a name.

That, and I really don't like the voice of the guy who got Marius. I never have. It's completely a show choir voice, but it's way too light for musicals (especially this one) in my opinion. He played Danny last year in Grease and I couldn't figure out why.

• 1 year later...

For those who are WICKED interested...

www.broadway.com has just posted a video in regards to the special 5th Anniversary Fundraiser held on Monday, with bits and pieces from the evening itself, and interviews with some of the former Elphabas, Galindas, and other performers for the evening.

It's nearly ten minutes long, and it's quite good. Almost looks and sounds like the evening could make up a great new CD for those who love this show.

Like myself.

A New Brain

I had to quote Hector here because I didn't know anyone else had heard of and loved the soundtrack to A New Brain. It's my favorite musical soundtrack and I would have killed to see it.

The Spamalot soundtrack is in my car and plays perpetually. It's great for singing along in the car. I also would have killed to see the original cast of this show.

I saw Curtains in NYC in June 2007. It was awesome and I got to meet my hero, David Hyde Pierce after the show.

I've also seen and really liked, but not on Broadway: Grease, Rocky Horror, Phantom of the Opera, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

My favorite movie musical (and movie) is Singin' In The Rain. Other movie musicals I love are Cabaret, My Fair Lady, The Music Man, The Sound of Music, 42nd Street and many others.

I love musicals!

A New Brain

I had to quote Hector here because I didn't know anyone else had heard of and loved the soundtrack to A New Brain. It's my favorite musical soundtrack and I would have killed to see it.

Ooh, A New Brain is great!!

I've seen a ridiculous amount of musicals, but my favorite has always been Les Miz. I honestly don't even know how many times I've seen it.

I'm also a fan of tons of others, especially Rocky Horror, Cabaret, The Last Five Years, Spamalot, and Avenue Q, just to name a few.

My all-time favorite Broadway show closed on October 12th Legally Blonde: The Musical. I own the soundtrack to that. I memorized every song.

I really want to see RENT, the music from it is amazing. But it just recently closed after 12 years on Broadway.

Wicked looks EFFING AMAZING and when I watched "Defying Gravity" I was blown away. I downloaded it to my iPod.

Avenue Q looks funny as hell. Hope I can see it some day.

Hairspray (Movie) was amazing. I have the soundtrack to that too! I want to see it on Broadway. Or tour. Whichever.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Only one I ever saw live was The Producers. I saw the movie, and I think that's the only broadway show/movie I was ever able to fully sit through except for the movie Chicago. The Producers was one of the funniest shows i've ever seen. I was laughing for the majority of the show.

Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party!.......hahahaha

And if you don't know what im talking about watch this. You will laugh so hard you will cry.