TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I just thought I would share my input... To me the ride looks absolutely fantastic! I would love this closer to home, especially in the back woods of Old Virginia at KD, haha! But seriously, this looks better than any snooze-fest of a hyper B&M has ever built... These turns taken with all that speed are going to be absolutely incredible, mixed in with some airtime! Atleast the thing will have a variety of elements (unlike hypers) and most of those elements will be taken at a good amount of speed. My prediction is it will be better than Millenium Force but not Intimidator 305 in my books, but I guess I can't say that until after I ride it next year (guess I have to finally get a passport). I say this because I think those turns are going to be pretty forceful and intense, which I can't wait for! This ride finally shows B&M still has some balls, which excites me to see what they have come up with for Dollywood now!

Favorite part of the ride: CF not making it go higher than 310' feet.

I don't know if any of you noticed this but the majority of the coaster is actually outside the park entrance and in the parking lot / public area... What are they going to do about the supports? Fence them off? Because you never know what fucking retarded moron will attempt to do something (anything) stupid to them to be "cool".

I don't know if any of you noticed this but the majority of the coaster is actually outside the park entrance and in the parking lot / public area... What are they going to do about the supports? Fence them off? Because you never know what fudging retarded moron will attempt to do something (anything) stupid to them to be "cool".

if nobody has messed up SFOG Goliaths' supports, i think these ones will be in the clear.

So a few people on here have said that the Gigas should be left up to Intamin and that this ride looks lame. I would much rather have a giga that runs consistantly and doesn't have to be trimmed/changed 3-4 times in the first year than one that did. Yeah, so far this ride may look like a bigger B&M hyper but I think it is going to be an amazing ride and I for one cannot wait to ride it. The first drop alone with just clam shell restraints is going to be sick! And hey if you don't like it then stay home so the ones of us who do can ride it as much as we want when we go!

The thing that scares me the most about Behemoth is the lift hill, so this is definitely going to freak me out with a traditional chain lift. While I was expecting something more fancier, I'll still be grabbing a 2012 season pass.

*caution, insane rant beginning in a few lines*

Is it just me, or is anyone else confused about the bitching? I don't remember people bitching about MF as being a new Magnum! I know; the bitching is inevitable; people want a tall B&M, yet they complain about it too. Don't the few of you who complain understand?! Look at the big picture; its not about the coaster itself (which looks awesome BTW), its about B&M's progression. And TBH, this probably has more airtime than both Millenium Force and I305 combined! They're really different (This and behemoth), unless I'm blind. And the stats; who knows? Intimidator was announced with 75 MPH, and thats absolute bull. Writing this off as behemoth is like calling Tatsu/Superman: UF a different Batman. And what if CW wanted this layout!? What if they now how awesome Behemoth is (I know, parks don't care...) and decided to please fans by building an awesome new ride, and saving space with the out and back layout?! If anything, don't blame B&M about the layout!

*rant has ended, continue reading*

Alright; phew. After getting that off my chest, let's look at the ride more closely. Both #'s 4 and 7 seem like tiny overbanked OMFG ejector air spots. As for the hammerhead, I'm going to guess, according to the rendering, that that is banked about, oh, I'll throw out around 115 degrees. The renderings can be a little exaggerative (like park maps), but this looks pretty legit. Finally, while I know that this is CF, capacity looks pretty damn good! 3-32 passenger trains. And I'm sure many of us are aware of B&M's potential fast loading. Finally, we have no evidence of the drop's height. Could still be a record breaker.

Paul "The ride event that rips your sack off is between 4-5" Mayer

Now that I've had some time to really think about it, I think it's actually really comparable to Millennium Force. Just to run a few things down:

Millennium has the 300' drop at 80*, four overbanks, two big airtime hills, and one smaller pop.

Leviathan has the same drop (with a tighter crest?), three overbanks, two big airtime hills, two smaller pops, and what looks to be a good Nitro-esque pop into the brakes.

And, since Fooz mentioned inflation, $25 million for Millennium is probably more nowadays than the $28 million for Leviathan. The ride time (outside the lift) is a bit shorter than Millennium, but the layout contains some pretty similar elements and the climb up the lift should offer great views (and anxiety)!

I'm a B&M hyper hater, but I'm actually quite excited for this! (I am a bit confused as to why they didn't throw in maybe one last pop before that giant, giant brake run. I'm sure there's a reason!)

Edited by coasterfreak101

^ well thats kinda what I thought about garaland's Raptor. Just a floor-less with the seats to the side. But isn't it about the experiance?

But it has some cool elements in it. That barrel roll thing is REALLY weird and hanging out over the sides of the track, while its a floorless, isn't the same as a floorless.

This is Behemoth 1.2. Not even 1.5. No new elements. I think a shorter ride time. Ill also throw some money down - less airtime. Hills look like a much wider radius despite using the older, shorter trains which would give you an option for tighter radius hills since the G's from back to front wouldn't be so extreme like they could with the "new" ones. So despite the speed, I see no real opportunities for really great (probably still good) airtime.

I just don't see it. Cool ride? Sure. Its a B&M. But here, next to Behemoth and only 306ft tall? This an intentional bid by CF to never, ever topple over MF as tallest traditional lift hill coaster? I don't get the logic, doubt I will. Seems like politics mixed with lunacy. Wait, don't those go hand in hand? lol.

Using the older, shorter trains more or less cuts down on the G's and with the huge hills, I really dont see any OMFG or any ejector. I will wager that Behemoth, Diamondback and lets even say Goliath SFOG have better hills. This is just a speed machine and in that it shares its main similarity with MF. But MF is really quite Meh because the 2 "airtime hills" have never given me any real airtime to write home about after a few hundred rides. Hopefully this is a lot better but I have a feeling if I make it up there next year, Behemoth is a huge winner.

Edited by Real

I'd like to say that as B&M hyper coasters go this looks like a decent one. Still hallmark B&M, but very nice nonetheless. So to those complaining about the bitching:

1.Firstly, let everyone have their say. I'm not berating anyone for loving the look of this coaster, so don't complain if I find this choice a little confusing.

2. Using a MF/Magnum comparison is missing the point entirely, that is not what is being complained about. I'm sure I could trawl the park index and find 10-15 parks with two similar rides if I wanted to. What I find odd is the proximity of two rides time wise. They are both essentially out and back coasters with lovely floaty B&M airtime hills and open seats. I don't think anyone can find a park that has had two major investments that are so similar in such a short space of time.

3. This will not have more airtime that i305. This will not have the positive G-forces of i305. Before people get all "worlds of fun" on me, I don't think anyone would disagree that B&M is a conservative company and places pride in their reliability as a result. This will not be a departure for them dynamically as it is already quite a large step for them building over 300'. The rendering also show a lovely B&M floating machine with parabola hills. Unless this changes drastically in the final product this will not be an ejector airtime monster.

All this said however, the park has to have had a massively positive response from Behemoth to invest such a lot of money in this and I commend them for building new rather than relocating. I'm sure it will be a huge success and the public will love the ride, much as I am very confused about the choice.

Let the flaming begin!

I'll come out of the wood work to say this looks like a pretty great new coaster.

It will be a huge hit with the GP in the Toronto area. Here, the GP only really knows Canada's Wonderland. A handful know of Darien Lake and if you mention Cedar Point, most people think you're talking about a camp ground.

As for this being too similar to Behemoth....again the GP here has a very limited scope as far as coaster knowledge. If they put in a B&M flyer, they'd think it was the same as the terrible Tomb Raider/Time Warp. If they put in a B&M invert they'd think it was the same as the terrible Top Gun/Flight Deck. This is a group that happily queues for an hour for a boomerang or SLC. 99% have never been exposed to a launched Intamin coaster or a dive machine. CF is avoiding blowing their wad with the Toronto market by giving them taller and faster before heading in to coasters that do more tricks (floorless, dive, launch, wingrider, etc.). Mention the word Intamin at Canada's Wonderland and people think you're talking about cookies. In a nutshell, CF is still keeping it simple for a customer base that doesn't know better.

The only people that this announcement has disappointed is a few spoiled coaster enthusiasts. I would have loved for the park to get something launched, an Intamin pre fab woodie or a wing rider, but Canada's Wonderland isn't worried about the local enthusiasts. We'll go to the park for the new credit, no matter what it is.

Count me as pretty thrilled. Pockets of the world are in dire straits and we still get $30 million toys built for us. Bring on Leviathan!

Well color me not impressed! But this is what I expected from B&M not saying it won't be a cool ride.

I'm glad B&M has proved a lot of peeps wrong by building a giga and not charging 50 mill for it.

I'm just pissed every giga/strata is located 3000 miles or more from me! I think I'm going to save the cash used going to Knotts/SFMM to be used going on Robb's TPR trips since none of the amazing rides are on the Westcoast and I've given up hope on ever getting any.

^^^You guys analyze and dumb down the GP way too much. They aren't that stupid and they wouldn't think a B&M flyer is the same as Tomb Raider. Its not like they are a bunch of idiots, they can tell differences between 2 things. Cool ride brah. Just...the experience seems way too close to Behemoth and actually, Behemoth looks a lot better.

Um... so they're basically building a larger version of a coaster they all ready have? Kind of a surprising addition, don't get me wrong I'm sure this thing will be awesome, but it's a little strange that they would choose to build a new ride so similar to the a ride they just installed 4 year prior, but then again it is Canada.

Anyone notice that there are trims in the POV video at 55second?

On a random thought, Robb mentioned it several pages back, but it almost seems like there is no way this thing was originally designed for Canada's Wonderland, and instead was intended for somewhere else (Knotts) and that project fell through at the last minute for some reason.

So what's the next big rumor for 2012? I heard Dollywood might build a 200ft tall Arrow Looper, or the southeasts longest Euro fighter.........

Well I wouldn't mind a B&M hyper at KD to go along with our giga(my GF refuses to ride I305) for the chickens who won't go on it...let alone near it.

I love the colors, love the name, layout looks fantastic. I do find it a little odd the park now has 2 B&M speedcoasters, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy Leviathan! The two coasters have distinctly different layouts, Behemoth being focused on airtime, Leviathan looks like it has more sharp turns and some low to the ground elements. I hope this isn't the only B&M Giga Cedar Fair ordered for 2012, one of these would be GREAT at Knotts.

Heres how I can sum up this ride.

I looked at the layout first, studied it, memorized it for the most part.

Went to the video, watched the POV. When it hit the brakes and the screen faded to black I thought "wait, is there a MCB and they just cut the video there?" So I went to the other video and then realized it was the brakes. This tells me something rather important:

The ride is really so status-quo and dis-interesting that I was still waiting for something to grab me. Some unique element. Maybe a set of hills that was different. Maybe even a complex of turns. Anything. But nothing really did. I couldn't even tell you the layout again after watching the POV and I memorize things very quickly. But this was just so much of the same. That is, to me, what explains my disappointment.

Its not like when I watch POV's of other newer, better rides where element stick out and I am replaying those elements over and over to see how its going to feel or watching construction (Like Parc Asterix's Invert) and thinking "DANG that's gonna be a great ride". This is just...vanilla. So much so, it fooled me into thinking the ride was longer even after I looked at its layout. How sad is that?