TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wiener Prater Discussion Thread

nd maybe the wheels wont be an inch away from the track...because that alone will make the ride smoother.

On Vekomas though the fact the other wheels are a couple of centimeters away from the track doesn't change much anyway since the curves are designed so that the trains pretty much run always on the road wheels. The main cause of roughness is Vekomas crappy trailering which hopefully these trains have improved upon.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^That sounds pretty silly if you ask me (And as you said, you have to goolde to find an explaination, ill be interested to see what comes out of that)

The rails would have to be the same strength irrespective of whether its inside or outside, I have never seen a steel coaster with warped or dented tracks, thats just illogical. I mean manhattan express uses "outside" rails yet it is still rough as guts, so you can see that where the rails are doesn't effect anything as rides could be smooth or rough on whatever track.

No, the roughness problem comes down to the wheel arrangment/trailering used by Vekoma (and arrow) it is just co-incidental both manufacturers use a similar style of track.

Im actually going to quote a post from another forum that explains the problem pretty well.

The trains are trailered with fixed axles like the old Arrow Corkscrew trains (see Cyclone, Corkscrew), which basically means that each row of seats has a single set of wheels joined to the previous row via a universal hinge, much like a trailer is hitched to a car. Basically what this means is at any given curved point on the track, the trains are not following the exact curvature of the track, but rather being influenced by the rows in front and behind. Instead of the wheels following the track, they are pulled in such a way to attempt to create the shortest distance possible between where the wheels are now, and where the ones in front are. When turning with a trailer on your car, it will create its own path to attempt to get to be completely parallel with the car, not follow the radius of the turn used by the car to get there.

Basically then the track wants to do one thing and the train wants to do another, and for the duration of the ride it's a matter of the train trying to do what it wants to, but being forced to do something else by the track. The rails want each set of wheels to be exactly perpendicular (90º) to the direction of travel in that exact section of track, but the wheels want to be parallel to the sets in front and behind (which, to add problems, are rarely ever perpendicular to each other). The roughness is then caused by the track forcing the train to follow the course. Spring-loaded guide wheels would only help if roughness were caused by the train seeking the outermost rail in curves, which they are, but the banking and curves have been engineered to reduce this to be barely noticeable.

Intamin, B&M and other modern coasters have articulated axles, which follow the track regardless of what the row in front or behind want to do, so there none of this shuffling as the train tries to correct itself as at any given moment, the axle is totally perpendicular to the track

More pics from that website!

46b9ed246e863292.jpg.c248801ffbfa12150b60c86f1d882d10.jpg

Everyone is smiling in the end!

46b9ed196e6806f4.jpg.5cc2bcb6ddbf603f3be0ff50c2bf045e.jpg

Riders look uneasy....

46b9ed146e528147.jpg.3ad7f5d0a96f9c0bd299d566ab8bffe6.jpg

Hi, we love these new trains....

46b9ed016df6d2ef.jpg.f638b0cdade1283b55ee1769f6ca0283.jpg

All Boomerangs need these

46b9ed3c6ed2c65f.jpg.02761b1b5597c693fdf3ba5f9f425b7f.jpg

46b9ed0c6e337a9c.jpg.83cd4655b9350cc245fe78cf4c9359ef.jpg

Sleek and sexy

46b9ecf96ddc1d40.jpg.8a01e2f46ac299c7a79a4d85c0ed0886.jpg

Stadium style seating...

46b9ecf16dc4251f.jpg.3fe954fa0eb9cd7629d6f3f7bdeb56c5.jpg

Seats kinda look like an X-Car combined with B&M's

46b9eceb6dafdace.jpg.b21c56a32f08de609a3f71fbefcaaeed.jpg

Thise is a Boomerang train?

• 11 months later...

Good old Boomerange with lap bars. YES, that is the smoothest boomerange out there. The first drop is amazing with lap bars. Also the tunnel coming out of the Cobra Roll filled with mist (Not the German kind) and speeding through the ultra smooth loop.

Trust me, those who think the ride looks rough, and hurts your ribs, WRONG! The ride is very smooth and I wish all Vekoma Boomerange would install these lap bars.

--James

I wouldn't mind a lack of padding, but that bar is so narrow that any pressure against it isn't going to be distributed at all, and will be sharp bruising pain rather than firm pressure.

Everything looping lapbars should be B&M clamshell restrains IMO.

Agreed,

God I love those things!

I could sleep in them!

That explanation about the trailering was great! It totally made sense and I could visualize what you were talking about. On an Arrow the wheel sets on one car, for example, are connected together in a fixed way so say the left side running/upstop/guide assembly cannot pivot independantly of the one on the right side. On a B&M/Intamin, the left side assembly and the right each pivot independantly of each other which allows for this articulation. And if I am not mistaken, eventhough the guide wheels are on the inside I believe X2 has a similar type of articulated axel design. Also, eventhough the articulated axel design allows each side to independantly pivot, they are connected together with an adjustable tie rod so they both move in unison - they pivot on the chassis as opposed to being fixed to it. This type of articulated axel is also found on Invertigos and GIBs.

Looking closely at some of the pics it almost looks like this has articulated axels too, or at least pivots on the chassis. I did notice the guide and upstops have the rubber blocks to allow them to pivot and stay against the track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone else think this is ridiculously high? I mean come one, I've seen smaller drop rides!

As for myself, I've ridden a 40 meter high Starflyer at Power Park, and I think it's of the perfect height. Just high enough to still have a bit of feeling safe and excited. This is just pure overkill IMO.

No effin' way you get me on that unless they have safer feeling seats and restraints than you would find on the normal Star Flyers! I always feel like a toddler sitting in a kiddy seat on a playground swing when I ride those damn things! Of course, screaming "Mommy! Mommyyyyyyyy!!!" like a little girl when you're riding doesn't help either!

As long as they're going that insane, they might as well just put in one of these cheaper, more kick-ass looking models and be done with it...

1967204136_pole20swinging20in20action.jpg.b176a3a807bee02301ea8975558a4a62.jpg