TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite Stand Up coaster?

A lot of people say stand up coasters suck, but we have Riddlers Revenge at Magic Mountain, so I am wondering if there are any standups, in like the world, that can match this amazing ride. The only bad part is the painful straps, though of course this is the only standup I have ever been on.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Georgia Schorcher is my favorite. It was the last stand-up to ever be built, so it's probably the smoothest.

There aren't really any stand ups that I don't like. Riddler pulled too many +Gs for me, but I liked Mantis, Chang, King Cobra, and Vortex (GA).

I didn't realize how many stand ups i've been on until just now...

I never rode Shockwave/Batman: The Ride, and the other Togos are destined to close, so I probably won't get a chance to ride them either. I look forward to riding Carowinds Vortex, which I hear is smooth, but not necessarily Iron Wolf. It's notoriously bumpy; So is La Ronde's Cobra(or so I hear). Intiman supposedly never made good stand-ups.

I've ridden a few stand-ups, and Riddler's Revenge is way better than any of them. It is incredibly smooth and still has great speed, pacing, and it is pretty forceful too. I really can't imagine another standup being better than Riddler's, and I think it is generally considered the best stand up coaster, but I'm not sure. I really didn't like my ride on Mantis at all.

(...)

Intiman supposedly never made good stand-ups.

I only rode two stand-ups: Shockwave at Drayton Manor and Riddler's Revenge. Shockwave is Intamin, but it's not a very exciting coaster and at Drayton it looked really crappy, including the restraints! I think you're right: Intamin never made good stand-ups (they made 3, didn't they?).

I've only ridden Riddlers at SFMM and Shockwave at PKD, and Riddlers is much better than Shockwave in my opinion. Standups certainly aren't my favourite coaster variety, but then they are so few and far between I'll always look forward to going on one. To be honest, I don't find them particularly uncomfortable, but I also probably wouldn't re-ride them more than twice in a day.

I've ridden Georgia Scorcher and Mantits.

Mantits, though fun did not seem to pack as much of a whallop that Georgia Scorcher does. Scorcher has headchoppers, forces, tight layout. It seems like Scorcher is almost like a compact Schwarzkopf in design.

Georgia Scorcher, hands down, best Stand-up coaster.

For the most part I do not like stand up coasters, but there are two that I have ridden that I would go back to ride again. The Georgia Scorcher at Six Flags Over Georgia, and Riddler's Revenge at Six Flags Magic Mountain. As Homer says, Scorcher does pack a whallop with its tight layout.

^^I love your sig.

I have ridden Mantis at Cedar Point, Skyrider at Canada's Wonderland, and Shockwave at Drayton Manor. I like and dislike them all. I loved Mantis, but I only rode it in 1996 so I'm sure it's gone to crap since then (that was its opening year). Shockwave was my 69th credit, although it was pretty boring. The zero-g roll was pretty cool. Skyrider is kind of boring, but it has its endearing qualities, like its random trick-track and noisy helix.

So I'd have to say Skyrider is my favorite, if only for the nostalgia. I remember checking my height at the saddle every year until I was tall enough - then when I was tall enough, I was too scared to ride!

Chang is by far my favorite stand-up, I've only ridden Chang and Iron Wolf, so there is no competition, and I love everything about Chang.(my #2 coaster) Chang was my first stand-up, and I was blown away by the size of this coaster, and while not as forceful as Batman, it had decent forces. The ride was very smooth, and the hang time in the first three inversions was great.

If this were 2002 or earlier, I'd say Iron Wolf. But since then, it's become a pile of crap that needs to be cut up into scrap metal. That ride used to be so freakin' amazing.

Anyway, out of Iron Wolf, Chang, Mantis, Vortex (Carowinds), Georgia Scorcher, and King Cobra, I have to go with Mantis. Georgia Scorcher is pretty darn good, as is Chang, but Mantis has the length that GS doesn't and it has the kick-your-pants ending that Chang doesn't.