TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

When HW was looking for a big steel coaster, they identified the wing coaster as the type that appealed to families the most, which is why they went with it. I highly suspect that SDC will work with B&M to push the height requirement to 50 inches like Wild Eagle so it can be ridden by more youngsters if in fact it is a wing coaster.

Still not good enough, methinks. If they're looking for a true family coaster they need something like Firechaser Express. Having a lower height restriction isn't what makes a coaster a family coaster - it has to be more approachable than a big, bad B&M.

I don't think they're looking for a family coaster. What I was referring to with HW was that they were in the market for a big, bad steel coaster, and they found that the wing coaster was more appealing to families (which is their market) than the other big, bad steel coasters. I think it is the same with SDC. SDC is looking (maybe found?) for something that has a huge drawing power, but something that can still appeal to families at the same time.

. . .If they're looking for a true family coaster they need something like Firechaser Express. . .

I would LOVE to see SDC get a coaster similar to Firechaser Express!! Firechaser express looks like an awesome coaster for not only families given that it is "smaller" and not as intimidating. But it is thrilling enough for thrill seekers, with nice spots of airtime, and the backwards launch. If SDC is not getting a coaster like Firechaser Express, I'd like to see them get something like Mystery Mine.

However, if it is a B&M coaster like rumored, and it's NOT a flying coaster (like it's rumored NOT to be) then I could see either a wing coaster, or a dive machine coming to the park. I really don't see an invert as a good fit at SDC.

Just wondering why you don't think it's a good fit. I think it would work well. I think the other rumored options are more similar to Wildfire than an invert, if that's why you don't think it's a good fit.

I just don't see an invert being a good fit at the park. Not because it is to similar to wildfire, but I don't see it having enough of an "appeal" to the GP. Obviously I could be wrong. I have no idea what is going in at the park, what would be a huge draw for the park, and what the park thinks is going to be a good fit. I just personally don't think an invert has any where near the same "wow" factor, or "appeal" that a Dive Machine, or a Wing Coaster has.

Just wondering why you don't think it's a good fit. I think it would work well. I think the other rumored options are more similar to Wildfire than an invert, if that's why you don't think it's a good fit.

I just don't see an invert being a good fit at the park. Not because it is to similar to wildfire, but I don't see it having enough of an "appeal" to the GP. Obviously I could be wrong. I have no idea what is going in at the park, what would be a huge draw for the park, and what the park thinks is going to be a good fit. I just personally don't think an invert has any where near the same "wow" factor, or "appeal" that a Dive Machine, or a Wing Coaster has.

I totally get that. I mean look how much of a dud Banshee was for Kings Island. Oh wait.

I totally get that. I mean look how much of a dud Banshee was for Kings Island. Oh wait.

I don't think Banshee has as near of the "wow" factor for the GP that Gatekeeper has, nor does it have near the "wow" factor that Valravn has(is going to have.)

I don't think Banshee has as near of the "wow" factor for the GP that Gatekeeper has, nor does it have near the "wow" factor that Valravn has(is going to have.)

Agree to disagree. KI received quite the bump in attendance from Banshee

Agree to disagree. KI received quite the bump in attendance from Banshee

...I heard exactly the opposite. Like, it was actually a disappointment considering the season as a whole. Up 1% over 2013.

^I believe you are correct. I'm curious as to why that happened. I guess the "longest" coaster record doesn't appeal to the public as much?

I'd be happy to see any B&M at Silver Dollar City and am pretty confident that they will execute it quite well, regardless of what type it is.

^I believe you are correct. I'm curious as to why that happened. I guess the "longest" coaster record doesn't appeal to the public as much?

Maybe the "Worlds longest inverted roller coaster." Just doesn't have as much appeal to the GP as it has to coaster enthusiast.

With that being said, I'd be curious to see how Cedar Points attendance changed during Gatekeepers first year. (I searched online but couldn't really find anything.)

Maybe the "Worlds longest inverted roller coaster." Just doesn't have as much appeal to the GP as it has to coaster enthusiast.

With that being said, I'd be curious to see how Cedar Points attendance changed during Gatekeepers first year. (I searched online but couldn't really find anything.)

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe GateKeeper's opening year in 2013 was Cedar Point's highest attendance (if not, it was EXTREMELY successful). It was the complete opposite situation of Banshee.

The park's coaster line up is so unique. TNT, Wildfire, and Powder Keg are all pretty intense rides. Outlaw Run is a step up and Fire in the Hole is a step down. They've already got everything they need, IMO. The only thing I'd say they're missing is a lengthy coaster.

But a good portion of their guests are too old/big to ride the coasters, so I think they could focus on something outside of the coaster department. If they do already have something in the works then that's cool. I'd love to see a hyper/terrain coaster that delivers a solid 3 minute ride duration. Or if it is a wing coaster - don't focus on the inversions.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe GateKeeper's opening year in 2013 was Cedar Point's highest attendance (if not, it was EXTREMELY successful). It was the complete opposite situation of Banshee.

I'm sure parks look into things like this before deciding what would be best for their park. A Wing Coaster seems to be much more of a draw for people rather than an invert. Yet another reason why I think that an Invert is less likely for SDC. I'm still thinking it will be either a Dive Machine, or a Wing Coaster.

Even though I really wish it would be an awesome, terrained, heavily themed, flying coaster! However it is RUMORED to NOT be a flying coaster.

. . . but from what I hear, the capacity is pretty bad.

I've always heard the same thing, but I've never understood how a flying coasters capacity is all that "bad."

Flying Coaster Capacities:

Tatsu: 1,600 riders per hour

Superman Clones: 1500 riders per hour

Air: 1,500 riders per hour

Manta: 1,500 riders per hour

Granted none of those are "great" capacities, but they are very similar to:

Wildfire: 1,300 riders per hour

Raptor(CP): 1,600 riders per hour

Millennium Force: 1,300 riders per hour

Diamondback(KI): 1,620 riders per hour

Intimidator(CW): 1,600 riders per hour

Intimidator(KD): 1,350 riders per hour

Fury 325: 1,470 riders per hour

(The list goes on and on)

And no one ever complains about the capacity on the above coasters. People actually often rave about what "people eaters" the above coasters are... Yet their capacity is very similar to flying coasters. . .

Anyway this just goes to show that Capacity really isn't that "Bad" on Flying Coasters. In reality it's very similar to (or better than) most other coasters. So capacity shouldn't be an argument as to why SDC (or any park) wont/shouldn't build a flying coaster.

^ I seriously doubt any of the B&M flying coasters in the US actually perform at their theoretical capacities. All five of the ones I've ridden load extremely slow and always stack, especially Tatsu. I've even had to sit on Manta's brake run for 15 minutes before, and that's not even at a SF park.

For example - The last time I was at SFGAm, Raging Bull had a 90 min line and S-UF had a 180 min line. I seriously doubt Superman is twice as popular as Raging Bull, I think the super slow loading times causing low capacity would account for the majority of the wait time differences.

The problem with flying coaster capacities is in order to get close to them you need to be running all three trains with both stations (if applicable). Many parks don't seem to do that though, although I have seen SFOG run theirs with 2 trains/1 station with very little to no stacking on several visits, so you can still get good capacity with a good crew.

I mean, this is SDC we are talking about. They have some of the most efficient operations of any park I have ever been to. They are almost always running all trains on all of their coasters, and the operators are getting the trains out of the stations as fast as possible. If SDC were to build a flying coaster there is no doubt in my mind that capacity wouldn't be an issue.

Personally, a B&M Flying Coaster is the least I'd like to see from their catalog come to SDC. My top three choices would be an Invert, a Hyper, a Dive, in that order. I've wanted to see an Invert at SDC for years. I think they would rock that with their superior theming. A Hyper is always fantastic and always a good choice. And a Dive would be so unique to this area of the country, and again SDC would theme the hell out of it lol! I'm just not excited by the option for a Flying Coaster.

Personally, a B&M Flying Coaster is the least I'd like to see from their catalog come to SDC. My top three choices would be an Invert, a Hyper, a Dive, in that order. I've wanted to see an Invert at SDC for years. I think they would rock that with their superior theming. A Hyper is always fantastic and always a good choice. And a Dive would be so unique to this area of the country, and again SDC would theme the hell out of it lol! I'm just not excited by the option for a Flying Coaster.

I agree with your three choices too! Although I am partial for a hyper (in the style of Apollo's Chariot) that uses the terrain around SDC. An invert would be ideal too, and I would not complain about a DIve. I personally am not a fan of the two Wing Coasters I've ridden, but any new coaster is cool!

I wouldn't be opposed to any B&M coming to SDC. I think that an Invert would be amazing to have on the side of a hill to use the terran as a "footchopper" throughout much of the ride.

Realistically, I would expect it to be a dive coaster. It is basically unknown to this region and would be incredibly easy to theme to SDC. Branson is a "tourist" town. Most of the visitors come from other cities. Included in those neighboring cities are St. Louis and Kansas City, and both have inverts already. IF, and only IF, the B&M one-hundred mile exclusive zone is true (which i personally will not believe in until it has been confirmed, but given evidence and logical argument of its existence, I do at least consider the possibility and viewpoint sometimes when formulating speculations), then 2017 would align to be the first available year for a new installation of an invert.

A hyper would be neat but not the first choice for me. I wouldn't mind it if it didn't penetrate into the skyline - which would imply that it must have a small lift and a very long drop (using the terrain to achieve this). A difference even more than that of Apollo's Chariot and Goliath. Think of Phantom's revenge if it were a B&M, starting from the second hill. In that likeness - even have the overbanks follow the ground closely.

IF, and only IF, the B&M one-hundred mile exclusive zone is true (which i personally will not believe in until it has been confirmed, but given evidence and logical argument of its existence, I do at least consider the possibility and viewpoint sometimes when formulating speculations), then 2017 would align to be the first available year for a new installation of an invert.

Canada's Wonderland wanted to build a B&M invert in 1995. Cedar Point had a 200 mile exclusive window on inverted coasters, and CW was in that zone. They got their Vekoma SLC instead. Story was told here.