TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^^^^^^^^^Agreed

Do you know that with the 9 "^"'s that you put you're actually agreeing with this post:

^ You seem awfully determined to blab as much as you possibly can, and then spend a lot of time justifying why people should listen to you.

When previously you were defending the individual this post was about??

#JustSaying

Anywho...

I really need to make a trip back out to SDC this coming season. I have yet to experience Fireman's Landing, and I want to try out the shot tower. (Even though I've been on it when it was at CC.)

I don't know if this was posted already somewhere among the blabber, but there's a new food stand location going up:

From the sounds of things, a bunch of stuff is happening in the area by the Saloon and Lumbercamp. There's always been a lot of congestion there, so they've been needing to open it up for awhile.

CaZcqQCUsAAoqfp.jpg.740e50967642ca53045c712f6c389663.jpg

^Berries and Cream was removed and this is located where the tree island was that was directly north of B&C. It's a shame that yet another shade tree was removed - but this should help with traffic flow by moving the food stand closer to the Cemetery.

In other news, Lumber Camp area is getting a lot of attention as well.

^ It sounds like they may be moving the Berries & Cream stand to the side of the path rather than being right in the middle of it, and that's a very good thing. A food stand in the middle of the path is going to be noticed, but SDC's biggest need right now is better traffic flow. Any day they have more than about 15,000 is really hard to manoeuvre.

^ It sounds like they may be moving the Berries & Cream stand to the side of the path rather than being right in the middle of it, and that's a very good thing. A food stand in the middle of the path is going to be noticed, but SDC's biggest need right now is better traffic flow. Any day they have more than about 15,000 is really hard to manoeuvre.

In essence, yes - but the old Berries and Cream is completely gone and this is a new building. Berries and Cream was never a permanent building. It was added one year as an ODV for a festival and it proved so popular it never went away. The t-shirt air brush stand south of the Saloon is another one

• 2 weeks later...
I plan on visiting the park on the first half week of the season. The 16th-18th of March specifically. I've never gone this time of the year. How are crowds usually?

Weekends (when warm) will be pretty busy. Since there will be few to no shows and several shops still closed (until World Fest) most people will be there for the rides. If you must go on a weekend, Sundays will be better then Saturdays.

I plan on visiting the park on the first half week of the season. The 16th-18th of March specifically. I've never gone this time of the year. How are crowds usually?

Since that's a Wednesday through Friday, crowds should be very manageable. Prepare for about half the shops to be closed and for no shows to be going on. If you're there for rides, you're good! Even the water rides run during Spring Break Ride Days, unless we have a freak late season frost or something. Weekdays aren't usually busy unless it's Springfield's spring break week--that's the city nearest to Branson--and Springfield has their spring break March 7-11. So you're good! Enjoy!

Finally gonna be visiting SDC in early April. Just booked our flights earlier today ($75 round trip from Vegas). Gonna be in Missouri from early Thursday morning April 7th through Saturday night, April 9th. Most likely we'll be visiting the park on Friday the 8th. I'm hoping crowds will be manageable but if not are there any fastpass options? The website is only giving the Trailblazer season pass which seems like an incredible deal if you're a local but not for one day.

^ They have trailblazer passes for just one day use. The pass that allows only 8 rides is $32 (ish) per person, and the pass that allows unlimited rides is $62 (ish) per person (based on last seasons prices.)

Also, nice score on the flight!!!

^ Thanks for the info. Strange that there's no mention of the single day option on the website.

They might still be finalizing things with it. Just like Kings Island still hasn't published their Fast Lane info for this season yet. Not to uncommon for these things not to be on the sites yet.

They also don't offer the Trailblazer pass every day. Attendance is fairly low in April, and they're not in daily operations yet. In years past, during World Fest Trailblazer Pass has only been available on Saturdays, and it hasn't been necessary any other day. The shows are the big draw at this time, and it's not uncommon for all the rides to be walk ons. Even if you're here on a day Trailblazer Pass is offered, I'd definitely wait to gauge lines before buying.

And yeah, SGF-LAS is usually pretty cheap. Allegiant?

^ No, LAS - SGF is never cheap. It's kind of insane that I've only ever found $400+ round trip. We're flying into Kansas City via Spirit. Gonna spend some time eating barbecue before driving down Thursday evening, doing SDC on Friday, then back up to KC on Saturday for an evening flight back. Also, no, I've no interest in Worlds Of Fun.

The info on the park crowds is great news, though, thanks!

They also don't offer the Trailblazer pass every day. Attendance is fairly low in April, and they're not in daily operations yet.

It is all dependent on the weather. With the unseasonably warm weather we've had this winter, I imagine that will continue into April and that will drive larger crowds. World Fest last year was packed and the usual "they're only there for the shows" did not really apply like it had in the past.

^ No, LAS - SGF is never cheap. It's kind of insane that I've only ever found $400+ round trip. We're flying into Kansas City via Spirit. Gonna spend some time eating barbecue before driving down Thursday evening, doing SDC on Friday, then back up to KC on Saturday for an evening flight back. Also, no, I've no interest in Worlds Of Fun.

That's crazy. I just priced out Allegiant over that weekend, and they have SGF-LAS at $160 round trip. This may be one of those itineraries that is cheaper in my direction than in yours.

Have fun with KC barbecue! If you only go to one place, make it Char Bar. Stay away from 54th street grill--that's a local chain, and theirs is very fast food style.

Worlds of Fun isn't open that weekend anyway.

Received the following Press Release from SDC regarding this years festival line ups and whatnot.

Reminder, this is the final year for World Fest.

(Branson, Mo. 2/2016) In 2016, the Silver Dollar City Attractions present America's Celebration of Family, a year with new entertainment, celebrations and activities for shared adventure at each attraction. Opening March 12, Silver Dollar City presents the final blowout year of World-Fest; The Harlem Globetrotters 90th Birthday celebration; the all-new evening musical variety show "Hits From The Hollow;" a new Founders' Weekend Celebration marking the park's 56-year story; celebrity concerts including Marty Stuart, Shenandoah, Lonestar and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band; Heroes' Month; Mother's and Father's Day Weekend events, plus special Birthday and Anniversary Celebration activities all season.

The Showboat Branson Belle turns up the onboard dinner and cruise experience with a new CELEBRATE! show, opening March 5, plus expanded Princess & Pirate Cruises and Southern Gospel Music on select cruises. As part of the theme America's Celebration of Family, the show aboard the authentic 1880s-style paddle-wheeler salutes iconic musical families whose songs connect cultures and generations like Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five, and Natalie and Nat King Cole, and legendary recording artists and popular movie-related favorites.

White Water takes family adventure to the water — from tower-top rides to cool floating adventure all summer long, presenting the region's biggest water rides and slides and featuring the mega-thrill slide KaPau Plummet. The 13-acre water park opens May 28, adding extended evening hours and kids' $20 tickets all season long.

SILVER DOLLAR CITY

March 12 - December 30

Silver Dollar City opens for the season March 12 with Spring Ride Days, featuring more than 40 rides and attractions, including 10 family adventures at Fireman's Landing, plus the big thrills of the groundbreaking, double barrel-rolling wood coaster Outlaw Run, named Best New Ride of 2013 worldwide and featured in Guinness World Records 2015.

The final year of the international spectacular World-Fest, April 7 - May 1, features the new Slask Song & Dance troupe from Eastern Europe, the return of Cirque Zuma Zuma acrobats from Africa; Stix on Steel, steel drum band from Trinidad and Tobago; Island Fire musicians and dancers from Tahiti and Samoa, with world-champion Fire Knife Dancers; plus pan flute musicians Ecuador Manta and Irish harpist Dearbhail Finnegan.

Bluegrass & BBQ, May 5 - 30, the International Bluegrass Music Association's Bluegrass Event of the Year, kicks off with a celebrity concert by 5-time Grammy winner Marty Stuart on May 7 and features top bluegrass artists including Rhonda Vincent & the Rage, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, The Grascals and more, plus a barbecue feast on grills throughout the park. Along with the opening of Bluegrass & BBQ, Silver Dollar City presents the first annual Founders' Weekend Celebration, including the debut of the "Hits From The Hollow," a special opening ceremony on Saturday morning, a morning worship service in Echo Hollow on Sunday with special guests, and Silver Dollar City employee reunion activities.

Star-Spangled Summer, June 11 - July 24, features the 90th Birthday Celebration of the world-famous Harlem Globetrotters presenting The Globetrotter Experience show, showcasing highlights from the Globetrotters' one-of-a-kind touring show, featuring their trademark basketball wizardry in a unique and innovative exhibit of skill, athleticism and humor. The festival also presents The Magic of Peter Gossamer, champion cloggers, cartoon character meet-and-greets and the park's 40-plus rides and attractions.

During Moonlight Madness, July 23 - August 7, guests can ride into the night with extended ride time on over 40 rides and attractions, plus evening street dances and a fireworks finale each night following the new Echo Hollow show.

Southern Gospel Picnic, August 25 - September 5, presents America's top Southern Gospel artists, with hundreds of performances from Grammy winners, Dove Award winners, top gospel acts and fan favorites, plus Southern Gospel Nights concerts each evening in Echo Hollow Amphitheatre.

Also in September, the new Heroes' Month opens, celebrating those who serve and protect families, from law enforcement officers to firefighters, members of the military and EMTs.

Concerts featuring country music icons are presented each evening during Country Music Weekend, September 9 - 11, in the 4,000-seat Echo Hollow Amphitheatre. The Grammy Award winning group Shenandoah performs Friday, September 9; the chart-topping group Lonestar performs Saturday, September 10, and the Grammy and CMA Award-winning Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, celebrating the band's 50th anniversary this year, is featured Sunday, September 11.

The National Harvest & Cowboy Festival, September 14 - October 29, features the nation's largest festival of demonstrating craftsmen and presents a salute to the Great American Cowboy. The festival features the Silver Dollar City Wild West Show with a new act, trick riding and roping, over 125 visiting craftsmen from around the country, Western music and art, the homecoming of the historic Silver Dollar City Stagecoach, a barn dance, wild mustangs and more.

One of the nation's most acclaimed Christmas festivals, Silver Dollar City's An Old Time Christmas, November 5 - December 30, presents 'Rudolph's Holly Jolly™ Christmas Light Parade' led by the most famous reindeer of all, with musical lighted floats and dozens of costumed characters. The festival also features two original musical productions: It's A Wonderful Life and A Dickens' Christmas Carol, plus a new interactive kids' show. Ranked as one of the world's top holiday events, the park dazzles with the acclaimed 5-story special effects Christmas Tree and an encompassing light-and-sound show on the Square, plus more than 5 million lights.

Information: www.silverdollarcity.com 800.831.4FUN(386)

SHOWBOAT BRANSON BELLE

March 5-December 31

(See website for exact cruise schedule)

Offering an entertainment experience unlike anything else in Mid-America, the Showboat Branson Belle turns up the onboard dinner and cruise experience with a new CELEBRATE! show, opening March 5 as the ship begins its cruise season on Table Rock Lake in Branson, Missouri. As part of the theme America's Celebration of Family, the show aboard the authentic 1880s-style paddle-wheeler salutes iconic musical families whose songs connect cultures and generations like Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five, and Natalie and Nat King Cole. Other sets give tribute to decades of legendary recording artists and popular movie-related favorites.

CELEBRATE! presents four headline acts, featuring the intensely-talented male vocal group The ShowMen; vocalist Cassandré Faimon-Haygood, a star on numerous Branson stages; the four-man dance troupe Rhythm, billed as The Fastest Feet West of the Mississippi; comedian emcee Christopher James with ultra-sharp improvisation, magic and off-the-grid humor, all accompanied by the live band, the Rockin' Dockers. Starting May 28, a second cast presents the noon and Sunday CELEBRATE! cruises, starring Janice Martin, the world's only aerial violinist ; ventriloquist Phil Hughes; magician and emcee Aaron Radatz, and the live band The Castaways.

America's Most Entertaining Dinner Cruise, the Showboat Branson Belle is a unique attraction that is itself a one-of-a-kind experience. Guests can explore the ship's three upper decks, enjoy 360-degree lake views from the top deck, visit the Captain in the pilot-house with its six-foot wooden vintage captain's wheel, and dine in the three-story atrium-style dining theater before taking a seat for the show. Expanded specialty cruises include Princess & Pirate cruises, featured on summer Sundays June 12 - August 7, Southern Gospel Music Cruises at noon August 28 - September 4, and Carols on the Belle cruises featuring gospel music artists on Sundays, November 27 - December 18.

Information: www.showboatbransonbelle.com 800.775.BOAT(2628)

WHITE WATER

May 28 - September 5

Branson's White Water water park features 13 acres of tropical fun and rides from mild to wild, including the $1.7 million drop-floor thrill slide KaPau Plummet; the 7-story, 6-slide thrill ride Kalani Towers; the tropical river adventure Aloha River at Hula Hula Bay; a 500,000 gallon wave pool; plus tube rides, slides, and family play areas.

Information: www.bransonwhitewater.com 800.831.4FUN(386)

That's crazy. I just priced out Allegiant over that weekend, and they have SGF-LAS at $160 round trip. This may be one of those itineraries that is cheaper in my direction than in yours.

Have fun with KC barbecue! If you only go to one place, make it Char Bar. Stay away from 54th street grill--that's a local chain, and theirs is very fast food style.

Worlds of Fun isn't open that weekend anyway.

I doubt he looked into Allegiant, it sometimes doesn't pull up on some booming engines. Till two years ago, you could fly into Branson, not Springfield, on Southwest or Frontier. Sad to see them leave. I'm kinda shocked that Allegiant hasn't shifted to Branson considering that's a private commercial airport and those routes out of Springfield would have exclusivity there.

Don't forget to check XNA as well, sometimes there's a decent price that pops up, sometimes. Allegiant flys a seasonal LAX into there as well. It's a good hour closer to Branson as well.

^ Southwest never really flew into BKG. AirTran did, and when Southwest bought them, they almost immediately quit selling tickets for those flights. They flew the dates that already had tickets sold, and got out as soon as possible. Shame, really--AirTran was my favourite airline, and their flights BKG-ORD and BKG-ATL were the cheapest connections from the Ozarks.

I doubt he looked into Allegiant.

I did, actually. Allegiant has very selective dates for travel as well as inconsistent fares, though. It's extremely rare that an Allegiant flight plan works in my favor and usually when that happens I can find a better deal on a better airline. Allegiant is bottom of the barrel. Spirit and Frontier may suck but I trust them to get me where I need to go a lot more as I've never had an issue outside of a slight 30-minute delay with them. I've heard too many horror stories from Allegiant, most recently one of my coworkers being delayed 6 hours only to be re-routed mid-flight three states away from their destination where they then had to sit in the airport for another 8 hours until a proper connecting flight arrived. No thank you.

^ Yeah, Allegiant will straight up tell you they don't guarantee which airport you're flying into. They operate an SGF-LAX route, for example, but it could go to Bob Hope, John Wayne, or Ontario instead, and it's up to you to be flexible with how you're going to get where you need to be from there.

Your fare seemed too low for Spirit even; that's why I initially thought it had to be Allegiant. You got a good deal. I've heard overall good things about Spirit, and what I've heard that's negative seems to come from improper expectations. As long as you understand that everything is piecemeal and you'll pay for everything you request from them, you'll have a good experience. I'm going to try them for myself this year, so we'll see how it goes. AirTran was the best at getting you where you're going at minimum cost and minimum hassle. Hoping Spirit can match that.

^ Spirit and Frontier have pretty much the exact same business model. Piecemeal like you said. I'm on both off their mailing lists and I constantly get one-day-only deals three to five days a week. They do huge discounts on their flights to fill them up but they're generally last minute to two months out. Constantly checking those deals will yield results. For instance, just today I got round trip to Saint Louis for $120. Holiday World and City Museum, here I come!