TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

^I don't think you understand... B&M doesn't make launched coasters, so they were never a choice. They didn't go with Vekoma to save a few million, they went with Vekoma because they could do the project. That's not to say the ride was manufactured correctly though, and that can happen to any company, good or bad.

As well, B&M never seems to do compact coasters, so they could have even turned down the project for all we know.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My previous about the cost factor comment was directed towards hyyyper and has been edited to clear up the confusion.

I didn't realize that the lifts hills were launched. Is it a full launch like Incredible Hulk or just speedy lift hill like Maverick?

And if the ride was really expensive as _koppen and COASTER FREAK 11 have stated, then it makes USS look even sillier for buy an unproven and pricey Vekoma concept that have been a giant lawn ornament for months. If I was going to buy a expensive prototype, it would be from Intamin, not Vekoma.

My previous about the cost factor comment was directed towards hyyyper and has been edited to clear up the confusion.

I didn't realize that the lifts hills were launched. Is it a full launch like Incredible Hulk or just speedy lift hill like Maverick?

And if the ride was really expensive as _koppen and COASTER FREAK 11 have stated, then it makes USS look even sillier for buy an unproven and pricey Vekoma concept that have been a giant lawn ornament for months. If I was going to buy a expensive prototype, it would be from Intamin, not Vekoma.

Agree! Intamin prototype coasters would have little problems here and there but Vekoma prototype is a huge win-or-lose.

It seems it was kind in-between. Like a fast launch up a hill that tapered off once it got to the top. As for the cost and the fact that its a prototype, that's just the industry. Someone has to take the first step with new coaster and ride concepts. Id imagine that being a prototype, Vekoma has more invested in the ride then a normal coaster installation. Meaning they could have offered a discount, a warranty, or a ton of other things to entice a company to invest in a prototype design.

Vekoma has also made some amazing coasters (for Disney), so it's not like Universal went for a fly by night company. The coaster should have never had the problems that it has, not sure what caused it to go so wrong.

The idea of inverted and sitting coasters dueling is cool and unique, but as this point I don't see the ride opening again. But why are they just leaving it sitting there instead of just removing it already?

The idea of inverted and sitting coasters dueling is cool and unique, but as this point I don't see the ride opening again. But why are they just leaving it sitting there instead of just removing it already?

Probably don't want to spend the dough on dismantling it until they find the proper replacement.

• 4 weeks later...

The article claims to know the reason why the ride was closed... how would the they know (claiming it was the ride seat post that was cracking)... I would think USS would get a different manufacturer to re-do the trains than to spend all the money to take down the ride. I think Premier would've been a great candidate since they recently made new trains for Goliath (another Vekoma coaster).

That yahoo article seems a bit misleading into what it is implying, it quotes mypaper as it's source and makes it seem like everything about battlestar will be torn down but the second i loaded up the mypaper news it gave this as the first caption:

END OF THE LINE? The Battlestar Galactica ride at Universal Studios Singapore may be revamped

Until the park 100% confirms something take it as rumours but here's the full article: http://mypaper.sg/top-stories/battlestar-galactica-may-have-heard-its-last-whoop-20140402

BATTLESTAR Galactica, the star roller-coaster ride at Universal Studios Singapore (USS), may soon be history.

The outdoor attraction is said to be undergoing an overhaul, some nine months after it was shut down.

Sources said the theme park is looking to replace the sci-fi-themed ride, which is based on the hit television series Battlestar Galactica, with another movie theme.

The revamped ride is expected to get a new name, new interiors and a fresh coat of paint, among other proposed changes.

The new ride is slated to be launched by the end of this year.

In response to queries from MyPaper, Resorts World Sentosa, which manages USS, said that Battlestar is "unavailable as it undergoes an attraction review". It declined to elaborate.

Billed as the world's tallest pair of duelling roller coasters, dubbed Human and Cylon, the 90-second ride has sharp turns, vertical loops and can go as fast as 90kmh.

Sources told MyPaper that the ride is being overhauled because visitors "cannot relate to the current theme".

One of them said: "They (the visitors) don't even know it's called Battlestar Galactica. People know it only as the blue track and red track."

The latest suspension is unlike the previous closure in March 2010, when a seat had fallen off during a routine test. No one was hurt in the incident.

It reopened after nearly a year of investigations, redesign, reassembly and testing.

MyPaper understands that, this time round, Battlestar's closure was planned.

Singapore Polytechnic marketing and retail lecturer Amos Tan said that visitors, who were disappointed by the prolonged closure of the popular roller-coaster ride, may not want to return.

"If this particular ride always has problems, it will be good for them to change to something more relevant."

He added: "A theme is very, very important. Theme parks' (revenue) relies a great deal on merchandise...You would want a piece of Sesame Street, Toy Story, but Battlestar Galactica doesn't sound like something you take home."

Executive Jolene Koh, 25, who went to USS for the first time in January, said: "I was quite disappointed. It's supposed to be a highlight of USS. I think it hypes up the atmosphere with people on the roller coaster screaming in the background. It's less of a theme park without that."

Makes it sound more like a retheme of the current roller-coasters with maybe a few modifications or track/train changes to fix the problems than a complete tear-down like that yahoo article seems to suggest, I think a re-theme would probably be good to give it a fresh start as a new theme after all the closures and incidents reported. As myself in my Tr and a few others have said this roller-coaster always seemed quite empty even when other rides had pretty long lines.

Also lines up with dejiki's last TR (http://dejiki.com/2014/03/uss-update-2014mar/) but again until the park confirms anything 100% take it all as just rumors for now.

I'd love to see a alliance/browncoats theme with Firefly to keep it sci-fi but I think i'll be forever dreaming on that one

^Did Goliath actually get those Premier trains? Because I remember hearing that it was going to get them but then I do not remember it getting them for real.

Goliath (SFNE) will have the new trains this season. The park didn't get enough time to test the ride with the new trains last season (rumored to be because of the hastily decision to remove Catapult)... I believe they started the testing once the park was already open and still had a lot to troubleshoot... it was getting into the full time operating season so they must've decided to postpone the new trains for this season. From everything I have been following on SFNEonline, the new trains will be on the ride this season.

Back to the idea of a revamp/re-theme I could see that as a possibility. Battlestar Gallactica sounds cool but I honestly know nothing about the theme or its following. I think they would have better luck incorporating the Space Fantasy (from USJ) theme into this ride or even giving it a Back to the Future theme or even Terminator! (Red side could be the resistance, the blue side could be the cyborg aka SkyNet)... they of course would then need to incorporate fire effects lol!

From the sounds of this (if the sources are true), this will simply be a refurbishment and possible rebranding of the ride. I can't imagine they'd tear this down unless the ride was fundamentally flawed in an irreparable way. And it would be highly unlikely that a "new attraction" could be operating in its place within 9 months.

That's interesting news about Battlestar Galactica. I guess the show doesn't have "legs" as a franchise; plus, I imagine the earlier "seat-falling-off" incident hasn't helped matters.

I wish them well. I can imagine what the new theme will be, if this comes to pass.

That yahoo article seems a bit misleading into what it is implying, it quotes mypaper as it's source and makes it seem like everything about battlestar will be torn down but the second i loaded up the mypaper news it gave this as the first caption:

END OF THE LINE? The Battlestar Galactica ride at Universal Studios Singapore may be revamped

Until the park 100% confirms something take it as rumours but here's the full article: http://mypaper.sg/top-stories/battlestar-galactica-may-have-heard-its-last-whoop-20140402

BATTLESTAR Galactica, the star roller-coaster ride at Universal Studios Singapore (USS), may soon be history.

The outdoor attraction is said to be undergoing an overhaul, some nine months after it was shut down.

Sources said the theme park is looking to replace the sci-fi-themed ride, which is based on the hit television series Battlestar Galactica, with another movie theme.

The revamped ride is expected to get a new name, new interiors and a fresh coat of paint, among other proposed changes.

The new ride is slated to be launched by the end of this year.

In response to queries from MyPaper, Resorts World Sentosa, which manages USS, said that Battlestar is "unavailable as it undergoes an attraction review". It declined to elaborate.

Billed as the world's tallest pair of duelling roller coasters, dubbed Human and Cylon, the 90-second ride has sharp turns, vertical loops and can go as fast as 90kmh.

Sources told MyPaper that the ride is being overhauled because visitors "cannot relate to the current theme".

One of them said: "They (the visitors) don't even know it's called Battlestar Galactica. People know it only as the blue track and red track."

The latest suspension is unlike the previous closure in March 2010, when a seat had fallen off during a routine test. No one was hurt in the incident.

It reopened after nearly a year of investigations, redesign, reassembly and testing.

MyPaper understands that, this time round, Battlestar's closure was planned.

Singapore Polytechnic marketing and retail lecturer Amos Tan said that visitors, who were disappointed by the prolonged closure of the popular roller-coaster ride, may not want to return.

"If this particular ride always has problems, it will be good for them to change to something more relevant."

He added: "A theme is very, very important. Theme parks' (revenue) relies a great deal on merchandise...You would want a piece of Sesame Street, Toy Story, but Battlestar Galactica doesn't sound like something you take home."

Executive Jolene Koh, 25, who went to USS for the first time in January, said: "I was quite disappointed. It's supposed to be a highlight of USS. I think it hypes up the atmosphere with people on the roller coaster screaming in the background. It's less of a theme park without that."

Makes it sound more like a retheme of the current roller-coasters with maybe a few modifications or track/train changes to fix the problems than a complete tear-down like that yahoo article seems to suggest, I think a re-theme would probably be good to give it a fresh start as a new theme after all the closures and incidents reported. As myself in my Tr and a few others have said this roller-coaster always seemed quite empty even when other rides had pretty long lines.

Also lines up with dejiki's last TR (http://dejiki.com/2014/03/uss-update-2014mar/) but again until the park confirms anything 100% take it all as just rumors for now.

I'd love to see a alliance/browncoats theme with Firefly to keep it sci-fi but I think i'll be forever dreaming on that one

^It may be officially called 'Firefly'. I think I seen them sign the official document in the roommate agreement.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAePQzdXGg

From the sounds of this (if the sources are true), this will simply be a refurbishment and possible rebranding of the ride. I can't imagine they'd tear this down unless the ride was fundamentally flawed in an irreparable way. And it would be highly unlikely that a "new attraction" could be operating in its place within 9 months.

I agree getting a new attraction in 9 months sounds far-fetched. Gotta admit though, part of me wishes that article was true. BSG wasn't a "bad" ride... but it certainly wasn't good. I personally would rather see it get removed and a GOOD ride be put in it's place.