TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2037: Siren’s Curse tilt coaster announced for 2025!

"She said it will be a while, if ever, before she returns to Cedar Point, or any amusement park. "I just keep playing what-if scenarios in my head. It's a miracle that no one got hurt."

I completely understand that.

I have a technical question about this ride because I don't know much about it. What is the purpose of these cables?

I apologize if this is being discussed behind the sky hawk accident pages. The green paint on Mantis: the silver color above it, is that the typical primer color used on a coaster or is it likely a demonstrative color for a new paint scheme? (Or even a paint scheme for a new ride and the park wanted to see what it looked like?

I have no idea why that little segment is green but other forums are abuzz with the return of the floor less train rumors. I personally think we might be looking at a new name, theme, and maybe some newer trains (like Georgia scorchers) which I found more comfortable.

I have a feeling this may be what becomes Rougarou. I never cared for Mantis' name or color scheme, and while the ride isn't the smoothest I do enjoy it and would love to see it spruced up.

For those who are good with physics, is putting a train with Lower seats (like a floor less) even possible for a circuit designed with heart lining of a standing coaster? I dare not speculate on Mantis floor less trains as I know it's been a rumor sice floor less coasters first came out.

I apologize if this is being discussed behind the sky hawk accident pages. The green paint on Mantis: the silver color above it, is that the typical primer color used on a coaster or is it likely a demonstrative color for a new paint scheme? (Or even a paint scheme for a new ride and the park wanted to see what it looked like?

I have no idea why that little segment is green but other forums are abuzz with the return of the floor less train rumors. I personally think we might be looking at a new name, theme, and maybe some newer trains (like Georgia scorchers) which I found more comfortable.

I have a feeling this may be what becomes Rougarou. I never cared for Mantis' name or color scheme, and while the ride isn't the smoothest I do enjoy it and would love to see it spruced up.

For those who are good with physics, is putting a train with Lower seats (like a floor less) even possible for a circuit designed with heart lining of a standing coaster? I dare not speculate on Mantis floor less trains as I know it's been a rumor sice floor less coasters first came out.

It's been done before. The Steel Phantom received a little green paint the season before it closed to become Phantom's Revenge.

Floorless trains on Mantis may run slower if the trains weigh less. Also, heart-lines for stand-ups have a profound effect on the shape of the track. I have no idea what a floorless vehicle would feel like on Mantis.

I'm sure if floorless trains were to be used on Mantis they would be designed specifically for this ride so the heart line and other forces are not an issue. They wouldn't just throw any old floorless trains on here if they are not going to work like that.... or maybe they will... who knows.

I highly doubt the standard floorless trains will be any issue... Considering how high the floorless trains sit above the track for clearance for your feet above the track, is probably fairly close to the "standing" heartline which has you standing on a low floor close to the track. Not to mention, if you are 54" tall versus 74" tall, the heartline changes on a standup... I don't think there would be any issue personally, but I didn't design the ride so I wouldn't know... Just speculation.

What is the purpose of these cables?
I think they are either just back up systems or meant to keep the car from twisting.

I'm not an engineer, but from how they're mounted I'm guessing they're there to minimize flexing of the arm itself, to help keep it from forming stress cracks over time.

http://www.nbc24.com/news/story?id=1075886

Ohio will not inspect Skyhawk-

Photo caption -Cedar Point says the Skyhawk ride will remain closed until the park's investigation into the cause is completed.

SANDUSKY, OHIO -- The state of Ohio's amusement ride inspectors won't be conducting an official investigation into an accident that injured two people when a cable snapped on a swing ride at Cedar Point over the weekend.

The state investigates accidents only when someone is admitted to a hospital or stays overnight.

Cedar Point says the Skyhawk ride will remain closed until the park's investigation into the cause is completed. Two people were hurt around 10 p.m. Saturday when a cable disconnected on the ride that swings up to 125 feet in the air. A cable on one of the swing ride's carriages disconnected.

The cable came into contact with two guests, according to the park. One was treated and released at the scene. The other guest was taken to a Sandusky Hospital as a precaution and has been released.

The ride was shut down immediately following the incident.

A Department of Agriculture spokeswoman says state ride inspectors will be at the park later this week to meet with Cedar Point officials and the ride's manufacturer.

The inspectors also will need to sign off on the ride before it can reopen. "Safety is our top priority," Cedar Point said in a statement. "Skyhawk will remain closed until our investigation is complete and the ride can open safely."

The park says Skyhawk was temporarily closed in 2013 for an unrelated situation.

(The Associated Press contributed to this article.)

I thought somebody went to the hospital... maybe I'm just misreading things.

Sandusky, Ohio – It had just started to rain, the ride was only about half full, and there were few spectators standing nearby to watch – all of which probably contributed to the lack of serious injuries Saturday night at Cedar Point, when a cable on Skyhawk came loose and started whipping around the ride.

The rain was clearly the cause of this accident. From now on I think Cedar Point needs to close every flat ride when it rains even though pretty much everyone would agree that it had nothing to do with the actual accident. It worked for them once before.

Sandusky, Ohio – It had just started to rain, the ride was only about half full, and there were few spectators standing nearby to watch – all of which probably contributed to the lack of serious injuries Saturday night at Cedar Point, when a cable on Skyhawk came loose and started whipping around the ride.

The rain was clearly the cause of this accident. From now on I think Cedar Point needs to close every flat ride when it rains even though pretty much everyone would agree that it had nothing to do with the actual accident. It worked for them once before.

Exactly. Did they ever come up with a real reason why Magnum collided besides rain?

I guessing that was just rain the Safety brakes barely stop the train normally and they might have been a little slippery. I think they should just extend the tunnel over the break run so they stay dry even in rain.

Also I have to quick questions completely unrelated to Sky Hawk.

1) Can you buy tickets at the Park entrance closest to the park (Entrance to CP not SC)

2) Are single riders aloud on slingshot.

1) Can you buy tickets at the Park entrance closest to the park (Entrance to CP not SC)

2) Are single riders aloud on slingshot.

You can buy tickets at any gate - at the main gate there are a row of ticket booths to the right. When we rode there were no single riders allowed on SlingShot - and it's a great ride if you get the chance - though a bit pricey at $25 / person.

Better to buy tix online - right now it's $10 cheaper ($50) than the gate and you get a free drink wristband for the day. There is a 3 day advance ticket for $45 also. They just had their Christmas in July sell on the 25th for $30 - too bad you did not scoop up then.

One of the cars on one of Magnum's trains has been stripped to just the chassis and lap bars-

Apparently the same car on other trains has been roped off. I have heard from ride ops that the shorter belts this year would be lengthened, but I highly doubt that they would need to strip down the vehicle for this...

I hope it gets that green paint. Even if the name stays Mantis, the green would work better with a theme of a green insect, moreso than the use of all three primary colors.

Could our photoshop pros indulge my desire to see a green Mantis with grey supports?

image.jpg.999ff721df82b40df5f9a8c2f02829c7.jpg

The grey is the color I was questioning. (If it looks like primer paint) I would love that shade of green MUCH better than the red blue and yellow. The green would work nicely there, very Rogouruish.

image.jpg.2e690f1be2d38ad70793225ba6b04460.jpg

The current color sheme resembles the Mantis Shrimp, which is every color Crayola could dream of.

image.thumb.jpg.4098b467a8638536e1e1239b6be2c127.jpg

A mantis is green, damnit.

image.thumb.jpg.0987f81f22d78cd78d298ccf014680af.jpg

When Mantis was new and shiny. I always thought the colors were a little wild for such a beautiful part of the park.

Plinko Question

If you win passes, can a single rider go twice or do they give you 1 ticket for 2 riders.

I've won Plinko for Millennium Force before and I was a single rider for the day. They let me go twice. (The ride host at the platform marked the pass with 1 ride used and the date then gave it back to me the 1st time. The 2nd time they kept the pass.)

One of the cars on one of Magnum's trains has been stripped to just the chassis and lap bars-

Apparently the same car on other trains has been roped off. I have heard from ride ops that the shorter belts this year would be lengthened, but I highly doubt that they would need to strip down the vehicle for this...

I just rode it yesterday and The Train was still like that but the other Two had all rows opened. The line was over an hour though unfortunately.

I wonder if Mantis has those colors because it was supposed to be 'Banshee'. But the name changed at the last minute and the colors stayed the same. I mean, B&M paints their track before delivering it (actually, every company does that), so they just got stuck with the colors.

the cable snap on Skyhawk actually looks fairly scary to me in terms of the people on the ground. When I went to cedar point in june my 10 year-old daughter and friend stood just about at the spot where it looks like the cable hit the fence. I do wonder what kind of damage that cable would have done striking someone standing right there, particularly a kid?