TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Spinning AND falling, how sweet would that be, until the big thud!!!!!

OMG, that actually happened to me in a dream last night...except the brakes did kick in.

That would be something to see though, a car that big freefalling and hitting those brakes.

KD's drop tower does it all the time...granted it's designed to however.

It doesnt spin while falling, only while going up. But in general, yea, same thing.

Someone mentioned what looked like a brake fin...not sure. Theres a channel that runs up the coaster that looks like it would be a brake but I remember yesterday it was a channel for a chain. The chain was in the channel sideways so it made a U shape at the bottom and the channel guided the it and kept it in place while the ride went up and down. I believe the chain is actually used to house wires and cables. Basically, a very large cable organizer. Especially since the cables need to extend all the way from the top to the bottom, when the vehicle is at the top, those cables need to be organized somehow or theyll bunch up.

Came across an interesting Windseeker video...about after a minute in, the ride gets some non uniformities going on and some extremely close calls with other pods. Not sure if this is meant to happen or not, or how 'stressful' this is on the ride's joints.

All looks fine and dandy until after a minute in. Around 1:30 in, the cars are swaying forward, backward, inward, and outward as if they were on some kind of ball joint. Much reminding me of CGA's swing ride going bonkers on an old TPR trip back in the day.

Well, I'm sure now they've putting together some policy that states that no rides with winds in excess of 10MPH. Wouldn't you think they would've thought about this with the ride right on the water and it's name -- WINDSEEKER? That's why I call it "breaking wind," since It'll cause you to $hit yourself with the "pods" crashing into each other at 300' in the air...

My guess is that the arms are supposed to do that. I would imagine that it was designed to allow the seats enough movement in all directions, as having only swing joints might result in more stress if they can't move in all directions.

I'm wondering why when the ride was designed, they didn't make it so that the cars can only swing left to right (or in and out), but NOT forward and backward. This would keep the spacing between the cars equal no matter what. Wouldn't that make sense, or am I just being silly?

EDIT: DiSab posted while I was typing my post, so maybe stress on the joints is the answer?

I'm sort of surprised that the forward and backward swinging is so drastic... Obviously the video may not tell the whole story, but it sure looks like those pods are coming close together!

Wasn't the whole point of CF choosing Mondial supposed to be about wind resistance in the first place? I get that Cedar Point has high winds, but this doesn't look as wind resistant as CF had boasted!

I'm amazed by the video too - Of course the camera angle may have something to do with it - but it actually looked like one of the riders actually pushed away another chair with his feet - I can't believe it and will NEVER ride Windseeker (fix or no fix).

I'm amazed by the video too - Of course the camera angle may have something to do with it - but it actually looked like one of the riders actually pushed away another chair with his feet - I can't believe it and will NEVER ride Windseeker (fix or no fix).

Huh? why?

When in the video did you see that?

Yea...thats physically impossible. I have rode it already. The cars dont swing forwards and backwards at all. And if they do, its not even possible for them to swing that much. The sideways swing is also minimal.

^They do. I think the only reason this is a big deal to people is that a solid pole over a chain makes you think of something more sturdy. When, in reality, Mondial probably designed the ride like this so as to not stray too far from a Wave Singer, or a StarFlyer.

Now, regardless, I won't ride it. The swings tend to make me uncomfortable, and looking at these terrifies me 10x more than the drop towers down the midway!