TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Why is there such a big marketing conspiracy? What exactly do you think would stop an entry level maintenance worker from going up the lift during a normal inspection/walkthrough/whatever, snapping a pic, and posting it (even anonymously) to instagram?!

Why is there such a big marketing conspiracy? What exactly do you think would stop an entry level maintenance worker from going up the lift during a normal inspection/walkthrough/whatever, snapping a pic, and posting it (even anonymously) to instagram?!

I think you're right. But I also think many people are blaming enthusiasts for being impatient and breaking Cedar Point's rules on trespassing to take pics, etc. The blame should be on these other people who have actual access to the park. But none of that will matter in a month anyway.

I'm just glad CP has acknowledged the project. Hopefully this teaser campaign can get rolling because I know the demand for these pictures would be a lot less if we had a layout/info of what was coming!

Also, as far as food goes. Exit the Marina gate, get a hand stamp and go to Famous Dave's. Sure it's outside the park but it's only a 2 minute walk from the gate so there's no time investment. Ask for a table outside. You're welcome.

I've been reading this advice for a few years now and haven't taken it yet. How fast is the service there? I just might have to finally listen to you this year.

^ It looks like there's just two desserts available for this one: Pecan Tartlet and Banana Cream Pie.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. YUM. I don't have a phone (gasp), so will probably

buy our first set of tickets, online.

Edited by Nrthwnd

My inaugural Cedar Point trip is coming up in a little over a month! Couple of questions for CP regulars:

1) I'll be in Sandusky around 1 pm the first day of my trip, not doing CP until the next two days after that. Anything else worth checking out in the area? Not really looking for anything I have to spend much money on but do want to sight see (if there's anything worth seeing). I'll have a rental car so don't mind driving a bit.

2) Any good bars/restaurants around CP (outside the park)? I don't plan on eating dinner in the parks while I'm there. Going by myself so just looking for casual places I can go sit at a bar, grab a couple of drinks and food at.

3) I'll have the 1hr early entry both days. What ride(s) should I hit up during that time? No clue what gets the busiest there.

4) Go to lunch/snack places inside the park?

Pretty psyched about the trip. Can't wait to finally check out CP!

I've only been in the "town" so I can't really answer your first two questions. But I am sure there are decent places in town. We drove outside of Cedar Point once or twice to go go-karting and mini golfing and had a pretty decent lunch for a good price but I wouldn't be able to tell you what its called.

3) Maverick is my favorite so I always hit that as many times as I can (hit it 7 times in a row in the back seat noce, without having to get off), and then get to TTD about 10 minutes early. Millenium Force actually has manageable lines throughout the day (in my experiences) and we have a giga in our own park (CW) so we always do maverick first. NEVER do the rides at the front, during early entry the liens can be sometimes longer than in the evening. In fact, Valravn at the end of the day was about 20-30 minutes but during early entry and throughout the whole day it was at least an hour and a half.

4) Most of the food is mediocre but some snacks are really good, like Aunty Annes pretzels. We used to like Chick-fil-A but that closed down.

CP is awesome and probably my favorite place on earth, even past the coasters. Try to take the time to enjoy the park and the surrounding area.

What exactly do you think would stop an entry level maintenance worker from going up the lift during a normal inspection/walkthrough/whatever, snapping a pic, and posting it (even anonymously) to instagram?!

The threat of losing a great job.

What exactly do you think would stop an entry level maintenance worker from going up the lift during a normal inspection/walkthrough/whatever, snapping a pic, and posting it (even anonymously) to instagram?!

The threat of losing a great job.

^sure, you and I might think that, but there are infinite examples of people doing dumb stuff and breaking the rules. I just think it's a far more likely scenario than marketing manipulation.

Cedar fair has an extremely strict policy on social media for employees.

I've gotten in trouble a few time for it. One example would be when I posted photos of screaming swing being removed at the beginning of the new year last year.

They take it extremely serious. If this person is an employee and get caught, they more than likely will lose their job.

There's a filter on this website that replaces a word with the bunnies comment. That word is what describes one of those storage contraptions you had in high school. Maybe you got stuffed into one. The president made some comments that many disliked and mentioned being embarrassed about his [word]room talk at the next debate.

You mean l----o----c----k----e----r? Very odd to use fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo as a replacement.

Ditto to YOLOcoaster in lieu of F----u----l----l T----h----r----o----t----t----l----e (or perhaps Full Throttel?).

Or Full Throttle works just fine.

The explanation for the l.ocker filter comes from a trip overseas where the filter really is true, mostly.

My inaugural Cedar Point trip is coming up in a little over a month! Couple of questions for CP regulars:

1) I'll be in Sandusky around 1 pm the first day of my trip, not doing CP until the next two days after that. Anything else worth checking out in the area? Not really looking for anything I have to spend much money on but do want to sight see (if there's anything worth seeing). I'll have a rental car so don't mind driving a bit.

2) Any good bars/restaurants around CP (outside the park)? I don't plan on eating dinner in the parks while I'm there. Going by myself so just looking for casual places I can go sit at a bar, grab a couple of drinks and food at.

3) I'll have the 1hr early entry both days. What ride(s) should I hit up during that time? No clue what gets the busiest there.

4) Go to lunch/snack places inside the park?

Pretty psyched about the trip. Can't wait to finally check out CP!

I go to the RNR HOF every time I'm in the area...

rnrhof.jpg.86a92060297f8859b0881ad0fea7f46d.jpg

I've only been in the "town" so I can't really answer your first two questions. But I am sure there are decent places in town. We drove outside of Cedar Point once or twice to go go-karting and mini golfing and had a pretty decent lunch for a good price but I wouldn't be able to tell you what its called.

3) Maverick is my favorite so I always hit that as many times as I can (hit it 7 times in a row in the back seat noce, without having to get off), and then get to TTD about 10 minutes early. Millenium Force actually has manageable lines throughout the day (in my experiences) and we have a giga in our own park (CW) so we always do maverick first. NEVER do the rides at the front, during early entry the liens can be sometimes longer than in the evening. In fact, Valravn at the end of the day was about 20-30 minutes but during early entry and throughout the whole day it was at least an hour and a half.

4) Most of the food is mediocre but some snacks are really good, like Aunty Annes pretzels. We used to like Chick-fil-A but that closed down.

CP is awesome and probably my favorite place on earth, even past the coasters. Try to take the time to enjoy the park and the surrounding area.

Yeah Carowinds is my home park and I've been on Fury quite a bit (love it) so I want to hit up other coaster styles that I don't get to as much first. I'll definitely still ride MF of course (as many times as I can), but Maverick, TTD and others like that are tops on my list. How does MF compare to Fury and other Gigas? Similar speed-demon style or different?

Just saw a photo of mean streak that was taken from what was probably either a drone or like the top of skyhawk. Looks like a double up is going in right after the drop after the crazy banked curve on the third hill. I see some crazy ejector air on the first part of the double up

^^I feel like the gigas all offer something totally unique and different, so it makes complete sense to my why nobody can agree on what the best giga is since it relies so much on personal preference.

If you're all about speed, I think Millennium Force is still the #1 giga in that department. The other three are in open fields / parking lots but Millennium Force races by trees, buildings and dinosaurs and that close proximity to other objects really amplifies the sensation of speed. For me, I fall for the speed gimmick every single time, and that's why Millennium Force is still my favorite coaster.

If you're all about intensity then I305 is obviously for you. The ridiculous G Forces and transitions are really something to marvel at.

Fury is really a combination if the two. The ride is full of low to the ground speed elements, crazy transitions (though not as crazy as I305) and powerful airtime. It's a great combination of intensity and speed, though it doesn't feel quite as intense as I305 or quite as fast as Millennium Force due to it's location (even though it's actually faster). Since it combines the two so well and then ends with a series of ejector airtime hills (a term I never use for B&M) I can totally see why many people put this at #1.

... and then there's Leviathan.

Yeah Carowinds is my home park and I've been on Fury quite a bit (love it) so I want to hit up other coaster styles that I don't get to as much first. I'll definitely still ride MF of course (as many times as I can), but Maverick, TTD and others like that are tops on my list. How does MF compare to Fury and other Gigas? Similar speed-demon style or different?

I have just been on Leviathan and MF, and both don't have the BEST layouts ever (not fair comparing MF cause it camee out 17 years ago) but the reason MF is rated so highly is due to the whole experience and where its located. Your going up this super fast, skinny lift hill with a VERY open cabin and you look to your left, its a 300 foot drop with beautiful lake erie and you can see forever. The layout is not the best, and the airtime is pretty lacking, but you stay really close to the ground going through tunnels, around other rides, and through other sections of the park. I rank MF higher than Leviathan in pretty much every aspects (other than the smoothness which is something I don't really care about), but I'm sure i305 will probably rank higher for me when I ride it, and probably fury325 too (if its intense as people say it is).

One thing that kinda ruined the whole "BEST COASTER IN THE WORLD" is that I am quite young (17 years old), so obviously I wouldn't be around for the big opening. Imagine being stuck with <100 foot arrow loopers and carnival rides and suddenly this literal Island of roller coasters has this 200+ foot and 300+ foot coaster, with no over head restraints. Of course its still an awesome ride but the fact that I rode leviathan beforehand made the whole giga thing less exciting then it would have been. But if I were to go to CP, and I was allowed to ride ONCE ride, it would probably be MF due to the whole experience.

Now that we're on this topic, having ridden 5/5 of the Gigas, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Intimidator 305 (#1 Steel. Best pacing, sense of speed, airtime, intensity, etc. - A perfect coaster)

2. Fury 325 (#6 Steel. Best B&M ever. Great coaster - Very re-rideable, but definitely not as good as I305 in any category)

3. Millennium Force (#16 Steel. Great coaster, but definitely not best at anything. Airtime is weak, but the speed is great!)

4. Leviathan (#19 Steel. Still very good, but it feels short and airtime is a bit off)

5. Steel Dragon 2000 (#26 Steel. A ton of floater airtime in the second half! Very fast and very enjoyable!)

I've only been on one giga, Fury, so don't have much to compare it to, though it is probably the most intense coaster from start to finish that I've ever been on. Doesn't really let up at any point until the pre-station breaks. No real moments to catch your breath. And that first drop is just all in-your-face speed.

That being said it does lack a bit in the surroundings/scenery department. The dip under the entrance bridge is cool but the rest is just parking lot, dirt and concrete.

Looking forward to some of the views and layout highlights with MF that others have talked about. I've watched the POV and the first shot of the lake as you crest the lift looks awesome, then the trees whizzing by, random tunnels and fly by the station all seem like they would add some fun elements to the ride. It's definitely one I'm super excited to try.