TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Personally, I think it's time for CP to start looking at what rides are really straining their budget and begin to replace them and change around operations a little.

One idea is to do what Busche Gardens does, and that's open certain areas of the park later at different times of the year. Sort of how they do Friday nights a Halloweekends, part of the back end remains closed, so they could have the Maverick area and train open one hour later

- Chaos has been up for sale and it's actually been non-operational for part of the year, so lets hack that one and replace it with a Top Spin.

- Demon Drop is already gone so that space is open.

- Are the kiddie bumper boats and frog hopper still needed? They have the Kite Eating Tree now and the zero depth fountain up front. That's two less rides, two less operators. Maybe add a new family game there.

- Could the Turnpike be replaced with Electric Cars to save gas? What would the cost-savings be?

- Mean Streak.. Obviously this ride is huge, rough, and not a crowd-pleaser anymore. I guess we'll have to see how Texas Giant turns out, but is this ride worth a $10 Million Makeover? I'd love a Lightning Racer in its place... 4 trains... one operator. Split up the site and even fit that B&M Dive Machine

- Frontier Path could use a nice outdoor grill

Just some ideas to make progress without taking very many backwards steps.

- Mean Streak.. Obviously this ride is huge, rough, and not a crowd-pleaser anymore. I guess we'll have to see how Texas Giant turns out, but is this ride worth a $10 Million Makeover? I'd love a Lightning Racer in its place... 4 trains... one operator. Split up the site and even fit that B&M Dive Machine.

Keep in mind that tearing down a wooden coaster and building a new one in the same spot doesn't do much for the perspective of the general public. Most likely the majority of the GP will think it's still Mean Streak.

- Mean Streak.. Obviously this ride is huge, rough, and not a crowd-pleaser anymore. I guess we'll have to see how Texas Giant turns out, but is this ride worth a $10 Million Makeover? I'd love a Lightning Racer in its place... 4 trains... one operator. Split up the site and even fit that B&M Dive Machine.

Keep in mind that tearing down a wooden coaster and building a new one in the same spot doesn't do much for the perspective of the general public. Most likely the majority of the GP will think it's still Mean Streak.

One word: Terminator

If Cedar Point was going to add a dive machine, where would they put it (barring removing Mean Streak, because it obviously could go there if they did). I don't think they have enough room; those rides are huge.

^The park is massive. Trust me, there's room for 17 more coasters if they wanted them badly enough. Look at parks like Blackpool Pleasurebeach compared to Cedar Point and Cedar Point will look like an open field in comparison.

^^I never would of thought Top Thrill Dragster could of been placed where it is. CP has put rides in places that were thought to be too small or already had other rides/buildings in the way. If it were a Dive Machine, it may just not be a "normal" layout like Sheikra or Griffon. The ride would just have to be a lot more creative.

I'm not trying to hate on B&M or anything, I just don't see a reason for a Dive Machine. It's not like I wouldn't ride it or anything, because hey, a coaster's a coaster and if it's fun than that's fine with me, it's just that I'd rather see something more... exciting...

Beware the evil steep drops !!!!!!!! I like that

I myself, would love to see a dive coaster at cedar point. They are very popular with the public as well. Every time that I am at busch gardens, the dive machine is one of the longest lines in the park.

Granted, I would like to see a wood coaster, but if it's a steel coaster, I would love a dive coaster.

^^It's Cedar Point. If they put a Dive Machine in, it will be something crazy or have some type of brand new element (at least a new element to a dive coaster). Imagine if they put a 300 foot Dive Machine in. That would be AWESOME being held at the top of the drop .

I agree.

If it's a dive coaster, it's not going to be a "typical" dive coaster, knowing cedar point.

I hope they can make a longer version of a dive coaster. If I had 1 complaint about dive coasters, it's the length....way too short.

^ The videos of that maneuver makes my neck hurt.

If I had to stipulate what CP would be getting, I would vote for some type of GCII Wooden Coaster, white-wash it, call it the Cedar Point Cyclone after its predecessor.

A TG renovation of Mean Streak would be nice as well.

^^I never would of thought Top Thrill Dragster could of been placed where it is. CP has put rides in places that were thought to be too small or already had other rides/buildings in the way. If it were a Dive Machine, it may just not be a "normal" layout like Sheikra or Griffon. The ride would just have to be a lot more creative.

You're right about Dragster, the only setback is, much like with the tunnel under Millie on the Fronter Trail is the bottlenecking now...But regardless, I was impressed with how they managed to shoehorn it in there...If the Point is getting a Diver Machine (yay me for starting this lol), I would hope for some crowd interaction like Sheikra...A splashdown would be a hit...and like was mentioned, I'd like to see a new inversion to this coaster too.

For those of you who went to Coastermania, please post your TR's! We're looking for some links to add for our first Club TPR Publication! Looking forward to seeing more pics!

I did, I guess it was not a very good one.

^The park is massive. Trust me, there's room for 17 more coasters if they wanted them badly enough. Look at parks like Blackpool Pleasurebeach compared to Cedar Point and Cedar Point will look like an open field in comparison.

That's been my point ever since Millennium Force opened 10 years ago and people online started chatting about how the "park is full." How many of their rides intersect each other? Snake River crosses the train tracks, Mantis' lift goes over Iron Dragon, and both Millie and STR cross the Paddle Wheel- are there others. Cedar Point is built like a Level 7 (of 20) RCT Park- the rides don't unrealistically float, but they don't intersect either.

I don't think Cedar Point will add a Dive Machine anytime soon, Dive Machines claim to fame is their first drop, just like Maverick's drop. What is the point of adding a coaster that goes vertical when you already have one that goes beyond vertical. In the next couple years I can see one of three things happening, either a renovation to Mean Streak like Texas Giant or a new GCI woodie, a new B&M flyer because it's one of the few concept coasters the park doesn't have, or a new Intamin prototype ride with some new bizarre claim to fame. Chances are an Intamin is likely because essentially Intamin and Cedar Point are in bed together and it doesn't look like they're coming out of it anytime soon. Seeing how any major addition in the past 10 years with the exception of Skyhawk and MaXair have been Intamin, and Intamin doesn't specialize in large scale flat rides like Skyhawk and MaXair so Cedar Point had to turn elsewhere.

For the longest time I too believed the Point was full, but yeah, they can put a ride anywhere, problem is, the park doesn't have alot of trees, other than the frontier Trail...that place can get b!tchingly hot, and some more shade would be grand...

The point is- where the trees are along Frontier Trail is not the only place where they have room. The inside of Mean Streak's "bowl" is unused, CCMR uses a great deal of real estate where another coaster or tracked ride could intertwine with it, the air space over Turnpike and the Antique Cars (next to Raptor) is open, the roofs of the Main Midway have nothing atop them.

Look at how Blackpool or even Indiana Beach stack rides atop each other and run rides through each other. It takes a few extra minutes of planning, but it also adds to the thrill. CP really has more options available over their usual "Plow N Plunk."