TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Old Town

-Julie

Already got 'em a couple years back.

I was planning on hitting the family coaster at the Palisades Mall on the way home from this trip. But now I need another...

-Rob

Edit: I think I found it... There's a Fiesta Express north of Pittsburgh that's only 2.5 miles off the highway along our route to Sandusky. Hmmm.. That's a wicked 8' tall lift-hill... The things I do to make my coaster list interesting.

These are most likely the three sections being removed.

If only these 3 are taken out, there is no room to expand the roll.

Doing a roll like that @ 70 mph will put a huge strain on the wheels since the RIDER and not the Wheels are @ the COG.

---------------------

reading a few pages later

http://www.pointbuzz.com/Gallery.aspx?i=6449

They would have to take off 4 pieces of track to expand the roll

What if they altered it so that they take out the inversion and the trains roll from one direction to the other *above* the track. So it becomes a hard right-turn followed immediately by a hard left-turn. (or vice versa, I'm a bit lost on the direction of travel in the pic).

-Rob

I'm trying to think how a non-inverting transitional change would be any different from what they currently have. I'm pretty sure that stress on the wheels would come out to be about the same.

Sorry to hear about the delay, but this is the reason why I wait to go to parks with new coasters opening. Of course, I lucked out last year with El Toro, riding it 4 days after it opened. ...but I wouldn't make a habit of trying to time an opening. ...so I'll wait till next May to ride Maverick and just settle for Mystery Mine and Griffon later this year.

Doing a roll like that @ 70 mph will put a huge strain on the wheels since the RIDER and not the Wheels are @ the COG.

I was just going by what the press release said. They said they are only modifying three pieces, and if those pieces are the ones that make up the roll, then the ones I pointed out are the ones being modified. However, you are right that they would need to modify 4 to expand the roll.

Cedar Point spokesman Bryan Edwards said Maverick was tested over the past few weeks with water-filled dummies aboard, but no people have made the trip, which includes a 105-foot opening drop that goes five degrees past vertical.

Are these the same water dummies that came back with no heads, loss of limbs, or thrown 3 miles from KK's top hat?

Scott "I call conspiracy" B.

Making modifications and design changes after construction are nothing new to any coaster manufacturer, although a lot less frequent these days with the ability to test everything on a computer before construction. No need to bash anyone, especially Intamin with all the expertise they have along with Werner Stengel engineering these projects. At least they didn't wait until after the ride opens and problems and downtime occur. There's an awful lot of steel coasters constructed over the years that weren't fixed until they caused trouble or injury. If Maverick turns out to be a great for years to come nobody will even remember this.

And I'm not going to get into this whole Intamin vs. B&M debate; everyone should know by now both engineer excellent rides with different design philosophies.

---------------------

reading a few pages later

http://www.pointbuzz.com/Gallery.aspx?i=6449

They would have to take off 4 pieces of track to expand the roll

It seems like it was something that was foreseen. When people asked the blog if the coaster was still opening May 12th. They always said that if something came up, they would let us know. Something came up, and they've let us know.

I think this might have been foreseen as an issue, but it wasn't until testing that the fate was confirmed and a decision made. Why it is so late that the final call was made is what I'm questioning. Were they trying to find a resolution that didn't involve delaying the opening or what?

Robb states that the more technical rides that push the envelope are obviously more likely to break down. This, though, seems more of a "push the limits of forces" than a new component issue.

I've read so much, I'm starting to get confused. Can someone point out to me where it indicates that you'd actually be hitting the heartline at precisely 70mph?

Honestly, the more I stare at the pics, the more innocent it appears. To the naked eye it doesn't seem any more forceful than a B:TR wingover. Obviously I'm not a engineer, but I'm just so intrigued by this. Maybe that high tech dummy ("Frank" is it?) contradicts all logic, and proved it to be a harmful element to human riders. Right now, I'm having a tough time believing it just by looking at it.

Not everything is or can be foreseen by engineers, even if there is an area of concern, that's why there's real life testing. In rides (or any engineered system) that push engineering limits or envelopes, the problem is typically unknowns often discovered during testing, or in the case of a prototype rideslike Intamin accelerators) over some period of time operating.

It's not always conspiracy or something being hidden when things don't quite work as planned.

Not everything is or can be foreseen by engineers, even if there is an area of concern, that's why there's real life testing. In rides (or any engineered system) that push engineering limits or envelopes, the problem is typically unknowns often discovered during testing, or in the case of a prototype rideslike Intamin accelerators) over some period of time operating.

It's not always conspiracy or something being hidden when things don't quite work as planned.

I couldn't agree more. It is not a perfect world.

One thing i'm surprised no-one has pointed out yet in the whole intamin - B&M debate is what happens when B&M try something new. Yes intamin like to push the envelope and try something new and yes this does quite often cause a lot downtime/delays which are to be expected. I have seen one or 2 posts that say that this would never happen to B&M but it has. Lets flashback to 2002 when B&M had sort of pushed the envelope with their first flying coaster AIR. Now the opening wasn't delayed but the amount of down-time it had and technological problems it might as well have been, i was there just after opening day with it broke down nearly the whole day it was sheer dumb luck i was in the area when it reopened and skipped a 4 hour queue.

I'm not taking a side i love rides from both companies, B&M because they are mostly enjoyable, smooth rides and Intamin because half the time its something completely different to experience. I'm just saying its not just intamin that has these problems when they try something new.

Rob

The thing is, people are disapointed that it isn't opening on time, but if you really think about it, Maverick really doesn't look on par with some of their other rides.

I disagree. Maverick, to me, has the most interesting design of any coaster in the park. I fully expect it to be my favorite at CP. I'm glad that they're investing in a more creative design instead of just building coasters designed to do nothing but break records.

As far as pushing the envelope for B&M goes, does anybody remember if anything happened with Sheikra? I mean, combining hyper with verticle, adding inversions to verticle, and a splash section. That sounds like pushing it to me. I mean, sure that has been done before in small ways (accellorator tophats=verticle and often +200ft, stormrunner has done verticle+inversions, and there are rides with splash sections.)BUT has anyone ever put the three together before? Also, new train design etc....

Just trying to add a new perspective in to destract all the bashers

^I agree, it mixes classic Intamin elements with some new ones! A 95* drop, double horshoe roll as the new elements. And an airtime hill, always good job from Intamin on those ; awesome twisty transitions; a launch; more airtime; and the Cedar Point creativity for being the best! I don't expect Maverick to be the best, but maybe at Cedar Point. I am still loving Millennium Force

-Zach

Don't you just love posting at the same time? Though I do agree with you. Maverick is really one of my draws towards CP right now, though I'd be glad to go up there and ride the other stuff. Thats why I have a maxx pass and live 4 hours away

As far as pushing the envelope for B&M goes, does anybody remember if anything happened with Sheikra? I mean, combining hyper with verticle, adding inversions to verticle, and a splash section. That sounds like pushing it to me. I mean, sure that has been done before in small ways (accellorator tophats=verticle and often +200ft, stormrunner has done verticle+inversions, and there are rides with splash sections.)BUT has anyone ever put the three together before? Also, new train design etc....

Just trying to add a new perspective in to destract all the bashers

How can adding inversions and a pipe to a train considered "pushing the envelope"?? A "hyper" is basically a term. Please explain to me what new technology sheikra used that say...any basic B&M sit down coaster hasn't used? Wider track...not even, taller lift hill...just mean more track had to be used, adding a loop...still im not seeing the major advancement in that. The only advance type of coaster I can say B&M made was the flying coaster.

I was just trying to relate to the situation at hand so you guys could stop bitching at the aquatrax. Besides, I never said anything went wrong with it, or that it was pushing the envelope. I merely opened the door to discussion about whether or not it was or had any problems...

The only advance type of coaster I can say B&M made was the flying coaster.

Vekoma did it first anyways with the Flying Dutchman coaster.

Great observation Capt. O but the point was company specific coasters...The only advanced coaster that B&M made as a company in their line of coasters was their version of the flying coaster.

The only advance type of coaster I can say B&M made was the flying coaster.

Vekoma did it first anyways with the Flying Dutchman coaster.

Great observation Capt. O but the point was company specific coasters...The only advanced coaster that B&M made as a company in their line of coasters was their version of the flying coaster.

So I guess the invert or the stand up wasn't an advance in technology for them either?

Hell, they started the invert craze!

--Robb