TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Psst, did you hear Cedar Point is getting a new coaster?

Sorry, just had to be done. I wonder how many people will claim "I told ya so" come tomorrow? Not that it matters...the bottom line is they're getting a new coaster and that's gotta rock!!!

The most interesting thing is that on coaster fanatics, there are actually people who have it added as one of their coaster credits....hmmm?

Calm down. It is only a few hours away. And then if you can't see it the exact minute it is announced, here is a thought, wait.

Patience. You don't have to be the first one to see it when there are going to be thousands of people that know about it right after you.

Jay "For the love of God and all that is holy" Willis

NOTE: We've updated the Maverick Construction Photos Update Page on Tuesday 1/09/07:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/cedarpoint2007/maverick.htm

This time thanks to our friends at www.coastercrew.com for the new pics!

Thanks guys! --Robb

Maverick - the park's 17th roller coaster - Announced!

http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/

Cedar Point has once again set itself apart from the rest of the amusement park industry -- and named its new, one-of-kind coaster accordingly.

After nearly one year of speculation, the park revealed early this morning that Maverick -- a $21 million terrain-hugging coaster that whips passengers dangerously close to the ground -- is the mystery ride being build in the northwestern corner of the peninsula. The Western-themed roller coaster will open in May 2007.

Maverick -- which means independent in thought and action -- will carry riders along the 4,450-foot-long course by way of steam-era styled trains.

Linear synchronous motors will propel the train to the top of a 105-foot-tall first hill. From there, it's more than straight down.

Maverick will take riders down at a 95-degree angle at speeds up to 57 mph to within a few feet of the ground, deceiving the riders into thinking they are going to hit the rocks.

In comparison, former record-breaking roller coasters, Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster, have angles of 80 and 90 degrees.

"A lot of this coaster is going to be close to the ground," said park spokesman Bryan Edwards. "This will be a very themed coaster. There will be rock formations and valleys."

While Edwards acknowledges some people may have been expecting a 500-foot-tall coaster, some were expecting something as unique as the Maverick -- an original ride and design that no other park has, he said.

"This is a different ride experience," Edwards said. "We have been building taller and faster, and taller and faster doesn't always equal more fun, according to the guests," Edwards said. "We are going in a different direction. There are people who look at Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster and say, 'No Way.'"

What Maverick offers that is more special is that just when riders think it's over, it's not, Edwards said.

Throughout the two-minute, 30-second ride, passengers will also experience eight airtime-filled hills, three inversions and a second launch through a dark tunnel while reaching speeds of 70 mph.

"This will be the most heavily themed coaster we have ever done," Edwards said.

Being built on 5.5 acres between the Mean Streak roller coaster and Thunder Canyon water ride in Frontiertown, Maverick will be Cedar Point's 17th roller coaster -- more than any other place in the world, Edwards said. The addition of Maverick will also bring Cedar Point's arsenal of rides to 69.

Maverick will operate Six 12-passenger trains with three cars, with four seats per car, per train. Tiered seating on the coaster's cars for better viewing (similar to stadium seating)

All riders on Maverick must be at least 48” tall to ride. Because of this height requirement, Maverick is a coaster that the entire family can enjoy.

maverickPOV.wmv

MaverickPOV

maverickaerial.wmv

Maverick Aerial Video

Did anyone else notcie that they time the launch so that it duels? The trains meet (in the video atleast) at the drop, on the wierdo dive thing (stengal dive?) and on the last air hill. Looks sweet.

That is likely a product of the animator. In reality, it would take some killer operations to get it to work that way.

What?!?!? An Animator?!?!!? I thought that was live video from last off season when they had secretly built and tested the ride! They only took it down during the 2006 season so people wouldn't know what the ride was! They are rebuilding it again now that they know it works.

--Robb

Did anyone else notcie that they time the launch so that it duels? The trains meet (in the video atleast) at the drop, on the wierdo dive thing (stengal dive?) and on the last air hill. Looks sweet.

That is likely a product of the animator. In reality, it would take some killer operations to get it to work that way.

What?!?!? An Animator?!?!!? I thought that was live video from last off season when they had secretly built and tested the ride! They only took it down during the 2006 season so people wouldn't know what the ride was! They are rebuilding it again now that they know it works.

--Robb

BRILLIANT! I CANT BELIVE I DIDNT THINK OF THAT MYSELF! XDDD

Ps. only 29 minutes till this thread is obselete!

I guess my problem with this whole thing is why is everyone making such a big deal out of this??? It's not really new, different, special, anything. Is it just because it's at CP? I don't even remember this much buzz before Voyage was announced!

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is such a big deal? I think there have already been better rides announced for next year!

So since everyone else has turned this into a posting whore topic, I decided to get my post in too. Did you hear that Cedar Point is getting a new coaster? Holy crap! I bet it's gunna be something with a red track and take up way too much space

I guess my problem with this whole thing is why is everyone making such a big deal out of this??? It's not really new, different, special, anything. Is it just because it's at CP? I don't even remember this much buzz before Voyage was announced!

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is such a big deal? I think there have already been better rides announced for next year!

Griffon?

My two cents on this thread:

What we've seen of the new coaster is pretty cool, but not godly enough to warrant such a huge thread...

Although, half of the thread is spam and repeated postings of information and ideas...

Oh, and one more thing. I just love that dang flying Snoopy thing at the top of cedarpoint.com...

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is such a big deal?

OK, I'll give this a shot.

Cedar Point is the most popular "Thrill Park" in the nation. Being the most popular will lead to the most fanboys. Fanboys spawn and thrive in forums such as this. New coasters at the most popular thrill park in the nation leads to fanboys galore with untamed enthusiasm on this board. It's that simple.

My take of the coaster is that it looks pretty F'ing sweet. I am far from a fan boy and hell I've never been to Cedar Point. I am MORE than impressed with what I saw in that video earlier tongiht. It was nothing new, nothing different, nothing overly special. It is a solid coaster with many decent elements to it. And it will be a bonus if it is themed half as near it was in the video.

I love these launch coasters with Storm Runner and B&R The Chiller being some of my all-time favorite coasters. This coaster looks good, real good. Is it worth all the hoop-la here, no, not really. But Cedar Point is the top dog park in the country for thrill seekers so people will go crazy when the park gets a solid addition. Liken it to a baseball team that is all around solid and in first place but then they decide to pick up a big home run hitter in the middle of the season. That guy who can crush homers every night might suck at stealing bases or legging out a double but man will he excite the crowd when he signs with that team. Make sense? I tried

I think you answered your own question lol...

I think it is because CP is so well known (stupid Golden Tickets) around the nation as being the best park in the country (though it truly isn't). Because of this, everyone expects what they put in to be "amazing" and so then they have to rave about a ride that hasn't even been announced! Combine that with the number of "OMG! Teh New Ridezzz!" comments, as well as the pointlessly long aquatrax debate, and you get 258 pages of mostly meaningless blabber...

According to cedarpoint.com:

"The Secret's Out Today!"

Yet, there's still no news release or anything like that.

That's the default. Technically, the secret is out on that day, and they're nog going to have someone updating the site by the minute just to change an automatic Snoopy flying by.

Also, sheesh. This thread's ridiculous but fun. And I'm only really posting to keep up. It's hard to go through eight pages after you last post, so I just go to my most recent post. What's new since I last posted? Nothin'! Ahhhh!