TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

When I visited for a day and a half last August, the forecast for CP said rain all day as late as the morning of the first day I went. We saw the storm approaching during the day but it missed the peninsula and just traveled across the lake. Never got a drop of rain (even though it was reporting something like 60-90% chance the night before) and the forecast must have scared the crowds away because everything, including Maverik and Valravn, was less than a 10 minute wait pretty much all day. Best single day I've ever had at CP.

When I visited for a day and a half last August, the forecast for CP said rain all day as late as the morning of the first day I went. We saw the storm approaching during the day but it missed the peninsula and just traveled across the lake. Never got a drop of rain (even though it was reporting something like 60-90% chance the night before)

On the flip side, when we went to the park this year there was suppose to be a 15% of light showers early in the morning, and then clearing up by noon. . . Yeah. Well it ended up raining probably 45% of our visit causing a lot of things to close, and our tour guide was an absolute idiot who had no idea how to handle the situation. Made for a really bad visit.

I was looking at the webcam and am digging the programmed LED light package on Valravn. I was there last July and I swear I never noticed the different light sequences. IIRC, it only appeared as one long red LED much like Raptopr's green LED up the lift hill.

Anyway....AWESOME job CP, simply awesome!!

The park also has its very own climate and weather from that of mainland Sandusky, so checking the forecast now is pointless.

This is so true. I have watched storms come in over Sandusky and the islands, and completely miss Cedar Point. There have been times where rides are closed from lightning even when the skies are only partly cloudy.

The park also has its very own climate and weather from that of mainland Sandusky, so checking the forecast now is pointless.

As a CP parking booth lady told us last year, "never trust anything you see on weather channel, it's always wrong."

My first trip out to cedar point back in 2015, I checked the weather app and it said clear sky's and warm, the day I got there, sunny and in the 80's. The next two days, cloudy and cold. Never trust the weather.

With CP weather, you can never be sure about what's going to happen until it has already happened. It says 50 and rain right now but it could very well be 30 and snowy or 80 and sunny. And we won't be able to honestly say until the park closes for the evening.

When I visited for a day and a half last August, the forecast for CP said rain all day as late as the morning of the first day I went. We saw the storm approaching during the day but it missed the peninsula and just traveled across the lake. Never got a drop of rain (even though it was reporting something like 60-90% chance the night before)

On the flip side, when we went to the park this year there was suppose to be a 15% of light showers early in the morning, and then clearing up by noon. . . Yeah. Well it ended up raining probably 45% of our visit causing a lot of things to close, and our tour guide was an absolute idiot who had no idea how to handle the situation. Made for a really bad visit.

Yeah that would definitely suck. I've been pretty lucky with the weather on all my visits to CP but I could see this happening. The weather at CP is changing and unpredictable, for better or worse.

So...We are now talking about weather on a theme park forum. Okay...

Unless you're an indoor coaster/dark ride enthusiast, weather plays a huge part in this hobby.

It's still the off season in some places... What did you expect?

I have a genuine question. How long does it take on a busy day, with Fast Lane to do all the rides?

Exactly 6.3 hours. . . Unless it's slightly cloudy. Then it will take exactly 8.4 hours.

Unless you're an indoor coaster/dark ride enthusiast, weather plays a huge part in this hobby.

You can say that again! I was supposed to have been to KI with my kids and ridden Mystic Timbers two different times by now, but ended up passing both times due to weather! Still don't know what's in the dang shed!

Exactly, especially when we're talking about a park that's highly susceptible to adverse weather conditions and will close virtually all of their major rides in rainy and/or windy conditions.

I highly recommend weather.gov, the official National Weather Service website. I have found that their predictions are pretty accurate for the near dates. It is a slightly different format than most sites, but I like knowing that the info is from the official source, and it has worked well for me. There are also a lot of cool maps and other useless data if you're into that. Instead of an app, I just have a link for my hometown pasted on my home screen. If you all prefer other weather methods however, that's okay with me.

^ Weather.gov is my go-to source, as well. The Weather Channel (weather.com) has just become way to ridiculous and "click-bait-y", to the point where it seems that daily forecasts are way down the priority list. I couple this with the NOAA Weather Radar app, which IMO provides more functionality than the Weather Channel app.

Weather.gov is very solid. The NWS (weather.gov) is where most weather apps, stations, etc. get a lot of their info so you are essentially going straight to the source. Which is the way to go.

Weather Underground (wunderground.com) is my personal go to. Their "best forecast" system pulls info from a variety of neighborhood, community, personal, etc weather stations to generate very accurate (and more importantly locationally specific) forecasts. They also provide you the option of seeing the NWS forecast and they publish the accuracy of their recent past forecasts to provide some transparency.

Rule of thumb though, no matter what forecast you look at, don't sweat over anything until 3-days out MAX. Anything beyond that is going to be woefully inaccurate, and don't even both with those super-long extended looks (10+ days) on sites like accuweather.com. Useless. Forecasts 3 days out are decent and of course they get more accurate from there.

^ My god. You are doing this on purpose now. Pleeeeease can someone make a weather thread, this is getting tedious. This I come on this page to get away from British people speaking about the weather, only to find Americans love speaking about the weather loads too!