TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I was thinking about 2016 recently and I realized something. Raptor was built 4 years after B&M's first coaster was built. So, if they were gonna continue that trend an RMC could be built in either 2015 or 2016. If they start construction on Iron Streak at the end of 2015 it could open in 2016. That would leave a big enough gap for another expensive coaster to be built in 2020 for the 150th anniversary.
That's a good speculation, but what about that dark ride that the park desperately needs?

I was thinking about 2016 recently and I realized something. Raptor was built 4 years after B&M's first coaster was built. So, if they were gonna continue that trend an RMC could be built in either 2015 or 2016. If they start construction on Iron Streak at the end of 2015 it could open in 2016. That would leave a big enough gap for another expensive coaster to be built in 2020 for the 150th anniversary.
That's a good speculation, but what about that dark ride that the park desperately needs?

Why does the park "desperately" need a dark ride? I don't get this thought.

Not sure why a dark ride has been made such a big deal here. I for one, could care less if the park has a dark ride.

Anyone else agree?

I agree that CP needs a dark ride but lets remember that this IS Cedar Fair we are talking about and they cant keep themeing up even if their lives depended on it! Maverick, Magnum, and Disaster Transport are great examples of CFs inability to keep up themeing and a new dark ride will probably last 1 or 2 years before they let it deteriorate to the point that its just riding around in the dark while hearing odd noises.

I agree that CP needs a dark ride but lets remember that this IS Cedar Fair we are talking about and they cant keep themeing up even if their lives depended on it! Maverick, Magnum, and Disaster Transport are great examples of CFs inability to keep up themeing and a new dark ride will probably last 1 or 2 years before they let it deteriorate to the point that its just riding around in the dark while hearing odd noises.

Its a seasonal park that's open 5 months a year. Keeping up theming is a little more difficult than a park like Universal or Disney that's in a warm weather state. Now I know people are going to mention BGW or some parks in Europe. However, CP does't need crazing theming to keep up attendance. They are a thrill park that does NOT need a dark ride to make them complete.

Maybe they could simply build a big building with air condition and call it Air Conditioning the Ride. This was all that DT ended up being in its late stages.

How about they just clone WMG here and put it in the old Pirates building?

How about they just clone WMG here and put it in the old Pirates building?

The problems with that ride seem to be worse than a regular dark ride. How rough the turns outside the mountain are rough, the themeing for the ride is unfinished, the guns don't work many times, and the synching for the ride is now off. I would rather see a classic dark ride with animatronics than a WMG "clone" at Cedar Point.

I went to Cedar Point last Friday for HalloWeekends and Sunday for a final ride on Mantis (it was closed on Friday). The only coasters that I rode were Gatekeeper, Millennium Force, and Mantis. Crowds were low, with no wait longer than 15 minutes.

The Coasters (ranked in order of preference):

Millennium Force: Always a fun ride, and it’s even better with a 15 minute wait! For a 6,600 foot long ride, I would like more than 4 airtime locations. It was pitch black when I rode and going 90 mph so close to ground was a blast!

Gatekeeper: It seems to have developed the B&M rattle towards the back of the train. I will probably start riding it only in the first two rows going forward. The keyholes are still very enjoyable.

Mantis: I am excited for the floorless conversion. I rode it for the last time on Sunday, after not riding it for many years. There was more head-banging on the OTSRs then I remember and standing up created a really weird sensation on my legs. The twisty section at the end of the ride was brutal on my ears. It wasn't until after I got off the ride, that I realized how uncomfortable the ride is for men! I'd guess that all the head-banging took all my attention away from the pain.

The Haunted Attractions:

Shows:

Midnight Syndicate LIVE! Legacy of Shadows: This show was great! Very well done, creepy, and scary.

The Houses (ranked in order of preference)

G.A. Boeckling's Eerie Estate: This is fantastic haunted house. Easily the best in the park. We went through it near closing time and had no wait at all. There was no one else inside the and it was eerily quiet. Great atmosphere.

Eternity Infirmary: My second favorite house of the night. The fake poster and windows always get me.

Eden Musee: A fun game of who’s real and who’s wax.

Hexed: I was disappointed with the new haunted. The sets were nice, but it wasn’t really scary. No one seemed to hide and jump out at unsuspecting victims.

Zombie High School: It closed just before we got into line. It’s not ranked, but probably 2nd or 3rd based on past experiences. I went through this house last year and really enjoyed it. Hopefully, I’ll have a chance again in two weeks.

The Scare Zones (ranked in order of preference):

Maniacal Mechanical Screamworks: It’s been a few different names and themes over the years, but this seems to best Cedar Point’s best Scare Zone every year. It’s in the section of Frontier Town that does have any operating rides. The log cabin buildings really add to the atmosphere that you are in a ghost town.

CarnEVIL: Located in Camp Snoopy (Camp Spooky?), there plenty of fog, clowns, and chain saws to provide a good scare every time.

Cut Throat Cove: Last year it was on Millennium Island surrounded by dinosaurs and a roller coaster. This year is on the Maverick infield. It’s an interesting idea, but it wasn’t very scary as it was crowded with people on a narrow path.

Tombstone Terror-tory: Disappointing. Not really a Scare Zone, but rather a themed area between Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Maverick with a few scare actors walking around.

CornStalkers: We were queuing and all of a sudden people were leaving the Haunt and the lights were turned on. I heard that someone had a seizure from the strobe lights, but I was sure. If that did happen, I hope that the person is alright. I'm not sure if it reopened later in the evening.

Blood on the Bayou: Closed all night for “technical difficulties.”

What themeing was there on Magnum?

There used to be lights and fog in the last tunnel. But I'm not sure that qualifies as "themeing". Maverick only had maybe 10% of the themeing it was supposed to have, and I'm not sure what upkeep you want to do with the fake rocks. They're just kinda...there.

CP just doesn't do themeing. I kind of wish people would just accept that and enjoy the park as it is. If you want great themeing go to a Busch park, Disney, or Universal. Cedar Fair seems to do just fine with minimum amounts as is, I wouldn't think they'd be so inclined to add more.

All that said, if they do add a dark ride it would be interesting to see how well it holds up over time. The old Scooby Doo rides at the Paramount parks pretty much fell off the wagon in the upkeep department, as did the old Italian Job coasters. I would be incredibly (and pleasantly) surprised if any dark ride built at CP had themeing that lasted more than ~5 years.

There used to be lights and fog in the last tunnel. But I'm not sure that qualifies as "themeing". Maverick only had maybe 10% of the themeing it was supposed to have, and I'm not sure what upkeep you want to do with the fake rocks. They're just kinda...there.

CP just doesn't do themeing. I kind of wish people would just accept that and enjoy the park as it is. If you want great themeing go to a Busch park, Disney, or Universal. Cedar Fair seems to do just fine with minimum amounts as is, I wouldn't think they'd be so inclined to add more.

All that said, if they do add a dark ride it would be interesting to see how well it holds up over time. The old Scooby Doo rides at the Paramount parks pretty much fell off the wagon in the upkeep department, as did the old Italian Job coasters. I would be incredibly (and pleasantly) surprised if any dark ride built at CP had themeing that lasted more than ~5 years.

Personally, I think the Frontier Town area and that whole trail from Millennium to Maverick is the best-themed area in any regional "amusement" park in the country.

Why does the park "desperately" need a dark ride? I don't get this thought.

Not sure why a dark ride has been made such a big deal here. I for one, could care less if the park has a dark ride.

A dark ride is needed for many reasons. It helps round out the park's offerings by providing more variety. Dark rides can generally be enjoyed by the whole family so families generally love them. They give patrons an opportunity to escape the sun or rain.