TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I actually think Raptor is my favorite B&M invert. If it's too rough try it again in the front but I don't think it's rough, just snappy which is much better than the forceless crap they build now (with a few exceptions).

I agree 100%. The only reason I don't rank Raptor higher is because I waited 45 minutes as one of only about 10 FL users waiting due to thunder. 45 minutes in the heat and humidity + resulting headache = bad experience on intense coasters.

I have yet to ride Toro, so I still reserve Millennium's drop as my favorite (it may not be my favorite coaster, but the drop is really spectacular). Gatekeeper's is still very fun.

I have not been on MF but went on El Toro last week and let me tell you: Not only did it scar my fiancée for life but I am still in awe. When I first reached the top going around I said "holy s#!t that steep" out loud and when the drop happened it was like it tried to buck me off the ride in a violent fashion I have never experienced before. Then it just yanked me down with it and took me on a ride never letting go. Craziest for me ever.

I have yet to ride Toro, so I still reserve Millennium's drop as my favorite (it may not be my favorite coaster, but the drop is really spectacular). Gatekeeper's is still very fun.

I have not been on MF but went on El Toro last week and let me tell you: Not only did it scar my fiancée for life but I am still in awe. When I first reached the top going around I said "holy s#!t that steep" out loud and when the drop happened it was like it tried to buck me off the ride in a violent fashion I have never experienced before. Then it just yanked me down with it and took me on a ride never letting go. Craziest for me ever.

Glad you liked it! It's my personal #1- ahead of MF and I-305. IMO, it is one of very, very few coasters to deliver sustained ejector airtime including the first drop. El Toro delivers a LOT of everything, and is probably the best $12 million Six Flags has ever spent.

Glad you liked it! It's my personal #1- ahead of MF and I-305. IMO, it is one of very, very few coasters to deliver sustained ejector airtime including the first drop. El Toro delivers a LOT of everything, and is the best $12 million Six Flags has ever spent.

Fixed.

^ I know we're off topic, but did El Toro cost $12M? I guess that's why nobody else here in the states has an Intamin prefab.

According to Wikipedia (which isn't a serious source but still), yes. Balder in Sweden was close to $15M (100M Swedish kroner) and after being on both Liseberg either got ripped off or SFGAdv got one heck of a deal.

^ I know we're off topic, but did El Toro cost $12M? I guess that's why nobody else here in the states has an Intamin prefab.

According to Wikipedia (which isn't a serious source but still), yes. Balder in Sweden was close to $15M (100M Swedish kroner) and after being on both Liseberg either got ripped off or SFGAdv got one heck of a deal.

There were rumors SFGadv and Intamin had a package deal with Ka and El Toro, so there may not be an exact price, or El Toro was a few million cheaper.

There were rumors SFGadv and Intamin had a package deal with Ka and El Toro, so there may not be an exact price, or El Toro was a few million cheaper.

Quite plausible.

Back to topic. Is Cedar Point considered the best park in the U.S. by American enthusiasts? By best I mean all aspects and not just the quality of the rides. Of course there will always be a few who has another favorite, but in general. I have noticed quite a lot of "anti Six Flags" feelings here (perhaps those folks just make more noise?) but my first visit to the U.S of A the last week and SFGAdv was really good. Only bad thing I can think of was that mesh roof don't protect you from the sun in the cues and part of the line (Superman I noticed it since it wasn't walk-on) doesn't have protection from the sun at all.

I can't wait till 2015 when I will get the chance to visit Cedar Point.

Is Cedar Point considered the best park in the U.S. by American enthusiasts? By best I mean all aspects and not just the quality of the rides. Of course there will always be a few who has another favorite, but in general. I have noticed quite a lot of "anti Six Flags" feelings here (perhaps those folks just make more noise?) but my first visit to the U.S of A the last week and SFGAdv was really good. Only bad thing I can think of was that mesh roof don't protect you from the sun in the cues and part of the line (Superman I noticed it since it wasn't walk-on) doesn't have protection from the sun at all.

I personally don't have a problem with Six Flags. They have their ups and downs, but so does Cedar Fair. I really did like SFGAdv, but CP overall is by far, in my opinion, about the best you can get when it comes to the most well rounded park. Its Clean, Great Coasters, Great collection of family rides, and of course has a great location. If it had an animal section to it, then it'd be perfect! Everyone has their own opinion, but I've noticed that its certainly overall looked at as the best. But it really depends on what you're into.

Quite plausible.

Back to topic. Is Cedar Point considered the best park in the U.S. by American enthusiasts? By best I mean all aspects and not just the quality of the rides. Of course there will always be a few who has another favorite, but in general. I have noticed quite a lot of "anti Six Flags" feelings here (perhaps those folks just make more noise?) but my first visit to the U.S of A the last week and SFGAdv was really good. Only bad thing I can think of was that mesh roof don't protect you from the sun in the cues and part of the line (Superman I noticed it since it wasn't walk-on) doesn't have protection from the sun at all.

I can't wait till 2015 when I will get the chance to visit Cedar Point.

In terms of coasters in a traditional amusement park (meaning not a "theme" park like Disney or Universal), it is to many people, including myself. I visit SFGadv somewhat frequently (4 times/year average) and while it is good, it is far from Cedar Point level. SFGadv is certainly a highlight in the chain, but they never seem to get above the "very good" level. Operations, clientele, holes in the park, etc. are some of the problems at the park you just can't overlook, and is what sets Cedar Point apart from the rest of the parks in the country. You're probably going to have a good time any time you go to SFGadv, but Cedar Point is simply a step (or two) ahead.

Sorry to get off topic but I finally made it to CP for four days (two of which the park was closed because of the water main break) last weekend. I loved it. Corkscrew was terrible. Raptor was possibly the worst B&M invert I've ever been on. Also Maverick hurt my neck on the sharp turns. But at least it was fun. Iron Dragon was enjoyable. I loved Gatekeeper. It was just a very pleasant joyride. Mean Streak was ok. Not too rough. Blue Streak was so much more intense than I had thought. The airtime is awesome on it. Millennium Force is really overrated in my opinion. I loved it but it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Wicked Twister was fun. Gemini was better than I expected. It got rough at points but it was mostly a smooth ride. Magnum was the best I thought. The drop took long, there was a lot of airtime near the end and it was super smooth for an Arrow. TTD was closed until the minute I had to leave to catch my flight. My luck. Overall I loved the trip. The lines were mostly short and it was very clean. I can't wait to go again.

Hmmmmmmmm... I guess everyone has different sensations they're sensitive to. Like to me Raptor is much smoother than Mantis, Mean Streak, Gemini, or Magnum.

I only remember the cobra roll being uncomfortable on Raptor (I don't really like this element on any ride honestly), the rest of it was pretty smooth considering the ride is 20 years old and in it's orginal state (no slowed lift and only a SLIGHT trim on the MCBR).

This makes sense, I always wondered how Gradv was able to spend so much on Ka and then turn right around and put in Toro the next year.

If it had an animal section to it, then it'd be perfect! .

Well there is that mini-zoo behind MF with the goats, turkeys, ducks etc; and there are no shortage of seagulls

Is Cedar Point considered the best park in the U.S. by American enthusiasts? By best I mean all aspects and not just the quality of the rides. Of course there will always be a few who has another favorite, but in general. I have noticed quite a lot of "anti Six Flags" feelings here (perhaps those folks just make more noise?) but my first visit to the U.S of A the last week and SFGAdv was really good. Only bad thing I can think of was that mesh roof don't protect you from the sun in the cues and part of the line (Superman I noticed it since it wasn't walk-on) doesn't have protection from the sun at all.

I personally don't have a problem with Six Flags. They have their ups and downs, but so does Cedar Fair. I really did like SFGAdv, but CP overall is by far, in my opinion, about the best you can get when it comes to the most well rounded park. Its Clean, Great Coasters, Great collection of family rides, and of course has a great location. If it had an animal section to it, then it'd be perfect! Everyone has their own opinion, but I've noticed that its certainly overall looked at as the best. But it really depends on what you're into.

Did you check out Gatekeeper on your last visit to CP?

I hate cobra rolls.

Why? Do you hate cobra rolls because some of the cobra rolls you've ridden are rough/not enjoyable, or do you sincerely dislike the element itself because of the motion of the element?

Both. I was fine with the one on Bizarro at SFGAdv, but on all of the others, I found it to be jerky. It's a cool looking element, but is much rather prefer a dive loop and an Immelmann. Not both put together in a tight space. I prefer more drawn out inversions as opposed to sudden and quick inversions. Just my opinion though!

I hate cobra rolls.

Why? Do you hate cobra rolls because some of the cobra rolls you've ridden are rough/not enjoyable, or do you sincerely dislike the element itself because of the motion of the element?

Both. I was fine with the one on Bizarro at SFGAdv, but on all of the others, I found it to be jerky. It's a cool looking element, but is much rather prefer a dive loop and an Immelmann. Not both put together in a tight space. I prefer more drawn out inversions as opposed to sudden and quick inversions. Just my opinion though!

Fair enough. I prefer zero g's and corkscrews, so I don't mind them as they're sort of half loops separated by half corkscrews.

This makes sense, I always wondered how Gradv was able to spend so much on Ka and then turn right around and put in Toro the next year.

If it had an animal section to it, then it'd be perfect! .

Well there is that mini-zoo behind MF with the goats, turkeys, ducks etc; and there are no shortage of seagulls

Six Flags actually had a 5 year plan ready that would have seen GADV transformed into a resort. (This was when Premier owned Six Flags and they were absolutely pouring money into the parks.) Toro and Ka were just the first two projects in a line of major projects that would have seen almost every major area of the park redone. If you notice, Plaza Del Carnival and what's left of the Golden Kingdom are much nicer than the rest of the park. However, when Redzone took over Six Flags in 2005, they bailed on the rest of the plan because it would have cost too much. They almost canceled El Toro but continued with it because construction had already began. And I know Ka cost $25 million and I've heard Toro cost $12 million from websites but all the maintenance guys at Toro say it cost $28 million which is insane if it really did. I'd say $28 million well spent though. haha

A random comment about CP: I have noticed great customer service and staff friendliness so far this year. All employees have been much nicer and happier than in previous years, which is great to see.

And I have to give a shout out to the Maverick crew. Best ride crew BY FAR. Anyone who went to Coastermania, remember the Maverick Song?

A random comment about CP: I have noticed great customer service and staff friendliness so far this year. All employees have been much nicer and happier than in previous years, which is great to see.

And I have to give a shout out to the Maverick crew. Best ride crew BY FAR. Anyone who went to Coastermania, remember the Maverick Song?

YES!!! I was in the station for the first round of songs, and then on the ride with the interacting song! One of the best ride ops I've ever seen!

I hate cobra rolls.

Interesting. There have been quite a few people here who have said they don't like them. I personally do enjoy them. The least pleasant one I've been on was sidewinder's at Hershey which had quite a big jolt as you did the half loop to half corkscrew transition. Raptor's did have a slight snap to it but, apart from that, I've never had any reasons to complain.

But this is my opinion only.

Spent all day at the park yesterday and had a blast! Gatekeeper was definitely a fun ride, loved the near misses, Maverick was as good as ever, even Magnum seemed to be running better than last year. Crowds were minimal, waited 20 minutes for MF, less than 10 for Maverick, Magnum was a walk-on and everything else was between a walk-on to 10 min wait. The longest line was for TTD which was 30 minutes. It sprinkled on and off for a little which scared me due to CP's rain policy, however from what I saw, everything kept operating, including TTD. Can't wait to get back later this year!

I also have to note that the food staff in particular were definitely much faster than in past seasons and very friendly and helpful!

Back to topic. Is Cedar Point considered the best park in the U.S. by American enthusiasts?

I don't really think there's a general consensus but a lot of people do consider it the best park in the country. If you're into heavy theming then Disney and Universal are going to be way ahead of it, if you're into animals then Busch and SeaWorld parks will be way ahead of it, if you're into shows Disney and Dollywood will be ahead of it... it's all about what you like.

Even some coaster people think other parks in the country have a better coaster collection (I disagree). Personally I think Cedar Point is amazing because of it's breathtaking natural location, awesome rides and fun resort atmosphere. It's a very nice park too, very clean and well kept (though the theming isn't great besides Frontier Trail and even that isn't anywhere close to a Dollywood / Disney / Universal level.

For me, it's probably my #2 park overall. If I look at it logically it's probably #1 but there's no need to look at amusement parks logically. Since amusement parks are in the business of fun I consider Knoebels to be my favorite park as every single time we go we just have a ridiculous amount of fun because everything there is just so completely awesome. Then again there won't be many people that list Knoebels as their #1 which goes back to my earlier point. Everyone has a different opinion on the subject which is part of which makes this hobby so much fun.