TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm not sure it pulls as many lateral Gs as you'd think. I've never ridden it (let alone strap an accelerometer to myself) though.

The directional changes most likely feel more forceful (and painful) for the same reason people complain about Skyrush at Hersheypark - a really small contact point. I know I feel the same way when going through the tight corkscrews on Fahrenheit - the side of my tiny waist is jammed against the lap restraint.

The lateral Gs on a Mack Wild Mouse could be considered more comfortable because the force is distributed along the side of your entire upper body. If Arrow Corkscrews had the open trains that Intamin coasters use, I'd bet that the transition into the corkscrews would be unbearable. I can't even imagine what Screamroller at Worlds of Fun felt like with the standing trains.

Typical "I could be wrong" disclaimer.

Since the track is heartlined the forces will be different throughout the train. I wouldn't really consider them typical laterals like on a Wild Mouse. It's not like the entire train is being thrown to the side, it is merely rotating quickly. I have never personally experienced any horrible laterals on Maverick, but as AJ said, the contact points with the restrain make them uncomfortable. The only thing that's unbearable about the transitions is having your head thrust to one side; especially on the outside seat (in other words, if the train is switching from right to left, the right-side seat will feel more of the forces). I personally overcome this by turning my head before the transition occurs, then rotate my head accordingly so it doesn't hit the otsr's. I know that sounds retarded but it works rather well for me.

Was going to go to Kings Island today but since they may have some of Isaac to deal with I decided to head west. Though quite busy it wasn't too bad overall except for Maverick. It felt like the line would not move for almost an hour and a half (that was the posted wait time). I also think Fast Lane is a joke for Maverick as that line was almost to the entrance and didn't seem to move either.

Magnum was running today, had a great back seat ride. Only rode Magnum, Raptor, Maverick, Corkscrew, Gemini, Windseeker, Power Tower (Space Shot, which it seems no one likes as there was no line for it) and Calypso. Don't ride Millennium Force or Dragster for fear of the "walk of shame".

Here's a photo I took of the games midway minus 12E. What a huge difference now that it's gone.

504627482_MissingDisasterTransport.jpg.ef5f815075edc0765f1ba1c5ed052d76.jpg

So as I said before, I was headin to CP again on Friday 8/31 for a second day of nerding. It was a much better day as the group I was with was willing to marathon a few of the coasters with me rather than hit them once and leave. We decided to fork up the $50 per person for the fast lane which wasn't really necessary crowd-wise for the day, but did make for a truly great and relaxing day.

We pulled into the lot at 10 as the park was opening, Magnum was up and running so we hit it first and I got my great front row ride on her. It's still my all time favorite because of the sentimental values it holds. Next we went to Maverick for a couple of laps with no lines, thank you fast lane. The more I ride Maverick and as I learn how to ride it with as little defense as possible I'm realizing that it's quickly climbing my favorites list. Even though I haven't felt the softer harness like on I:305 I can see how a little bit more padding would make Mav a much more enjoyable ride for the average person. After Maverick we hopped on the CP & LE RR to hit up Mantis and MF. Mantis was still running very rough like on Wednesday. I'm not sure if we got the worse of the two trains both times but I had a serious headache afterwards and the headbanging was just out of control. Next, another great lap on MF and got the red train again like Wednesday. Still a little shakey in the back but nonetheless a great lap.

Today as we were walking up to Raptor I did wander a little more towards DT's site to paint the mental picture of what GateKeeper could look like during that walk. I think it's going to look absolutely fantastic and will change the look of the front of the park for the better. We rode Raptor in the last row which I very rarely do and got a nice, smooth, powerful ride. Next the gang wanted to ride WT and I was about 99% sure I wouldn't be able to. I sat in the test seat and needed a good 3 inches to connect the belt, disappointing but I was prepared for the shame. So I sat and watched a few trains while having a smoke then wandered to WIndseeker to snap a few pics of it. Windseeker never did open on Friday due to high winds and I still havent been able to ride it. Haha the seeker of wind can't seek because of wind . Another surprise was they had taken down all of the Gatekeeper teaser posters. I understand it's been officially announced but all that was on the wall by the site was the overview and stats poster.

After they did WT we went back to hit up Dragster and once again the line was no more than 20 minutes all day. One of the girls with us had never been on it and it's always fun to watch the fear build as each train goes. She wound up loving it after about an hour and the adrenaline wore off somewhat but she was visibly shaking as we were checking out the photo booth haha. We'd hit everything major and it was only 2pm, what to do now? It was a hot day, much hotter than Wednesday so we wandered back to STR (I don't count this as a credit, to me it's a glorified Snake River Falls type ride). Having never been on STR i found it a pretty fun ride with decent drops. As long as you don't sit in the front row you don't get too wet and even then I noticed there isn't too much of the unecessary-amount-of-wetness factor going on.

So after cooling off we started to lap the park again. Walking up towards the front I stopped to ask my friend what the best food for your buck. Usually we'd hit the Midway Market by Raptor because it used to be decent food for about $15 per person but I was told it has gotten to be lesser quality and more expensive. So I made the final decision and we went over to the marina and enjoyed a very delicious meal at Famous Dave's. Nothing like a two meat combo with chopped pork and brisket, potato salad, corn on the cob and a sweet tea for the same price as any "meal" you're going to get inside the park. Not to mention a very fun waiter, Nick from Flint MI. Thanks Nick!!

After our delicious meal we stopped to see my friend again and her ride was "down for mechanical reasons". I put it in quotes because she was having fun with the guests who'd keep walking up and ask what was going on. We chatted and laughed until she had to get back to work and then we lapped the park again hitting Raptor, Iron Dragon, MF (this time I had the yellow train and it was much smoother than the red), Skyhawk. I'd completely forgotten how awesome skyhawk was. I'd only been on it once before and it wasn't enough to let it sink in. I'm going to have to make it a point to ride it many times during my next trip. Then on to Maverick, MS (which at night the first half wasn't as smooth as Wednesday haha), Gemini (still only running the red side), and another lap on Magnum. This put us at around 8:30pm and we had until 10. So at this point we split and half of us went to marathon MF and the other half went to Maverick. I went to Maverick to up my count, I got it up to 12. I have to say, Maverick at night is a completely different beast. I thought I'd experienced ejector airtime before but the camelback before the horshoe roll in the back row was INSANE!!!!1!!!!!111!!! We lapped Maverick several times before meeting up with the rest of the group and making the 2 hour drive back home to Detroit.

Overall a very sucessful two days at CP and after getting back to my moms, and realizing that pretty much everybody I know has left the state of Michigan, I'm seriously considering a trip to Michigan's Adventure tomorrow. Fast Lane, like many have said before about fast lane and flash pass, is worth every penny IF you don't frequent the park. If I still lived in MI and frequented CP I don't think it'd be necessary to buy the fast lane. But to each his own opinion.

I'm very excited about Gatekeeper. It looks amazing!!

Fixed

^^Based on your review of Maverick, it could use some of the I-305 restraints. If you could enjoy it without it karate chopping you every transition, then it might beat out Millennium Force for the "Best Coaster in the World" (Not like that means much...).

^^^^ What really bothers me on Maverick's restraints isn't the Head/Neck banging, but rather how it gets much tighter on my thighs by the end of the ride.

And I am really excited for Gatekeeper! It reminds of Hollywood Dream at Universal Studios Japan with the way is crosses over the entrance plaza. The whole area is going to change for the better.

I generally hate autostapling (which is why I don't like Millennium Flyers or Skyrush), so I'm sure I would've noticed if it affected me on Maverick. For me the issue is all about the infamous neck (and arm) chops. And hair pulling.

But there is really nothing about Maverick that takes away from my love for it. I can handle the minimal annoyances.

I'm very excited about Gatekeeper. It looks amazing!!

Fixed

Sorry about that. thanks

Why did this need to be fixed, because he put the word 'The" in front of it? So what, that's not going to ruin the ride or anything. If that needs to be fixed then all these rides' names that are butchered, like "Maggie", etc. then needs to also be fixed.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but does STR count as a credit? I don't think it does, but I just want to check.

http://www.coastercounter.com/#Shoot_The_Rapids

For SOME reason, Coaster Counter counts it as a credit...

I don't like it when a park builds a ride that is just one unpowered hill away from being a roller coaster. Example - Pilgrim's Plunge vs DiVertical.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but does STR count as a credit? I don't think it does, but I just want to check.

http://www.coastercounter.com/#Shoot_The_Rapids

For SOME reason, Coaster Counter counts it as a credit...

I don't like it when a park builds a ride that is just one unpowered hill away from being a roller coaster. Example - Pilgrim's Plunge vs DiVertical.

Does it prevent you from enjoying the ride?