TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I have a group interview for Ride Operations tomorrow and I'm sort of nervous... Any suggestions? What are the group interviews like? What's being a ride operator like? Can you pick your hours? And I also have another job opportunity this summer and once it comes down to it, I can only choose one. I'm leaning towards the other one, but I still want to do this interview incase it doesn't work out. If I decide on the other job and VF accepts me, will they be mad if I call and say I got a different opportunity? That one is only until the end of July, but I don't know if VF would be flexible enough to just work weekends until August. It's a long story so feel free to ask me more questions and answer mine on this, or a DM on Twitter. Thanks in advance!

I have a group interview for Ride Operations tomorrow and I'm sort of nervous... Any suggestions? What are the group interviews like? What's being a ride operator like? Can you pick your hours? And I also have another job opportunity this summer and once it comes down to it, I can only choose one. I'm leaning towards the other one, but I still want to do this interview incase it doesn't work out. If I decide on the other job and VF accepts me, will they be mad if I call and say I got a different opportunity? That one is only until the end of July, but I don't know if VF would be flexible enough to just work weekends until August. It's a long story so feel free to ask me more questions and answer mine on this, or a DM on Twitter. Thanks in advance!

The group interviews are pretty low key; they rotate through people for each question. So three people will answer one question and then another set of people answer the next one, and so on. I'll answer the hours question alongside your last question about working weekends. If you work weekends you'll be working part time until you'd be able to work full time, at which point you get at minimum one full day off per week (which runs Monday-Sunday at VF). You can request a specific day off during the week (for instance always having Sunday as your day off) or just allow your supervisor to randomize the day (I once worked 12 days in a row because I had a Monday off and then the next week's Sunday off). Beyond requesting a day off or setting a limit on the number of hours you want in a week, there's no real way to request hours in rides? Our days start around 7 or 8ish for a morning shift, and evening breakers start at 4, until close. Extras are dismissed around 2 in the afternoon or 8 at night.

In terms of working only weekends until August, it's hard to say. I know someone did it last year but they were a veteran. August is also typically when people start leaving for school, so that's when we start needing more people and management may like that about you. I'd guess you'd get the job, though. The Park Ops management is also super chill if you refuse an offered position before the start of the season/training. It only becomes a problem if you quit early.

TL;DR: Scheduling is a bitch, but if you communicate your schedule well enough in advance it's usually not a problem. I averaged 60-65 hours a week through the entire season as a Lead.

Just a reminder that all who help MN Theme Parks, the charity that bring lower class kids to theme parks in MN for free with the link below (very easy and doesn't cost you anything) gets an amazing prize pack when they send me a DM. Please help out. It means a lot to the kids and to us when we are able to get new materials and resources. Thank you so much for your support.

https://www.pearup.com/mnthemeparks/rally

The likeliness of a coaster or any new attraction going in the back part of the park is extremely slim. Other than a new parking lot, a front gate coaster would make much more sense.

Really? Why. Everyone knows excalibur's days are numbered and at that point why not just remove thunder canyon to add a coaster. The flooding is not ideal, but manageable.

Looks like the flyers have arrived at the park.

I am really looking forward to these. Flyers, at least the ones I have been on, have been tons of fun!

Also, they've received part of the main structure:

FEVF40.thumb.jpg.0357c7d196ac5c40d2a4a506a052cc6c.jpg

Source: VF Twitter

Zero interest in the Flyers, it is such a lame addition in my opinion. Canceled the season passes for the family we have had for years.

They aren't even good flyers (Knoebels!!). I also did a temporary switch to Six Flags season passes this year. Might make the trip for Valravn, or CW.. But I'm not planning on hitting up Valleyfair this year.

So... you two aren't coming to the park then? Sweet! Shorter lines=more rides for me!

Less season pass holders is never a good thing, I just don't feel the park has done enough to entice my dollars back for season passes. My girls who are 11 and 10 both asked to not get passes this year because in their words "the park just isn't that much fun without big new rides" Now when 11 and 10 year old's are saying the park needs to add some new big rides there is a problem.

I am not talking about Flyers, or a skate coaster, or a bike show. Those are adding something just to add something.

It's not like everyone is dropping their season passes.

If they just added big thrill rides each year, there would be nothing to balance them out, and then people would be complaining that there isn't any variety in what VF offers. There is a good spread right now of coasters, family rides, thrill rides, water activities, and entertainment.

So... you two aren't coming to the park then? Sweet! Shorter lines=more rides for me!

Less season pass holders is never a good thing, I just don't feel the park has done enough to entice my dollars back for season passes. My girls who are 11 and 10 both asked to not get passes this year because in their words "the park just isn't that much fun without big new rides" Now when 11 and 10 year old's are saying the park needs to add some new big rides there is a problem.

I am not talking about Flyers, or a skate coaster, or a bike show. Those are adding something just to add something.

To people who go to the park every day those are not big additions. To people who go every couple years they are big additions.

In this kind of discussion I almost always side with the people that say balance is the best option, but in this case I don't blame those that aren't renewing their passes. Yes it's important to add family rides pretty consistently but the bottom line is that you're not going to see attendance explode like Carowinds' did with Fury by adding small family rides almost every single year. Im not saying the park is expecting huge gains from rides like these but from the sounds of things it seems like the park is getting pretty stale to locals.

I made the exact same decision this year by not getting Six Flags America gold passes (and therefore passing up Great Adventure which is a huge loss) and instead going for the 3x more expensive Cedar Fair platinum pass for Kings Dominion, Kings Island and Cedar Point.

Family rides keep people at a park and going back, but without big new coasters there's nothing to draw anyone in in the first place and I think we can all agree there isn't a whole lot of substance beyond Renegade and Wild Thing drawing people in.

From Dave Frazier, High Roller now has seat dividers. That stinks.

No!!! That really stinks.

Let's just pray that the single lap bar doesn't get replaced, too.

EDIT: I'm now crying internally.

HighRoller.thumb.JPG.9d9c4807fb0f1a5c1af83a2892d88bc7.JPG

Let's hope the trim is let up a bit, because of these new modifications to the train.

Wait, so is High Roller also getting new PTC trains? Those are definitely not the old whatever the hell kind of train that they had previously, but didn't know they were going to be getting new ones. And I do see that the front of one of the cars is being left open so it might be getting the new style train front like Dorney is receiving for Thunderhawk.

Actually, now that I'm looking closer, the chassis doesn't look 100% PTC, but the restraint mechanisms and seat divider certainly are. Kind of not surprised though as I've heard rumors that the chain wants to unify its ride safety systems so then they're all using the same modern standards and operator training can be entirely universal in the chain.

Let's hope the trim is let up a bit, because of these new modifications to the train.

My thoughts exactly.

It's a shame that the buzz bars have to go, but I understand it from the safety perspective. I just hope they aren't PTC lap bars because those don't give you much legroom.

Edited by VF15

Wait, so is High Roller also getting new PTC trains? Those are definitely not the old whatever the hell kind of train that they had previously, but didn't know they were going to be getting new ones. And I do see that the front of one of the cars is being left open so it might be getting the new style train front like Dorney is receiving for Thunderhawk.

Actually, now that I'm looking closer, the chassis doesn't look 100% PTC, but the restraint mechanisms and seat divider certainly are. Kind of not surprised though as I've heard rumors that the chain wants to unify its ride safety systems so then they're all using the same modern standards and operator training can be entirely universal in the chain.

I'm pretty sure that those are the same chassis made by International Amusement Devices for the ride, while the seat divider and lap bar mechanism are new.

I'm still going to renew my platinum season pass because of my Cedar Point and Kings Island trip at the end of July. Will save me money for dining and parking. I'm staying at Motel 6 in Huron 12 minutes from Cedar Point. For 4 nights was $325 so my season pass will save me money for the trip. If we're not going to get a new coaster in 2017. I'd like to see some new thrill rides. Maybe Cedar Fair could do a ride package like adding a new bigger revolution ride like the one at Nickelodeon Universe I thought that was a fun ride and I still like to see a giant frisbee ride like a max air under the Wild Thing turn around.

Edited by Lightning Rod

Zero interest in the Flyers, it is such a lame addition in my opinion. Canceled the season passes for the family we have had for years.

They aren't even good flyers (Knoebels!!). I also did a temporary switch to Six Flags season passes this year. Might make the trip for Valravn, or CW.. But I'm not planning on hitting up Valleyfair this year.

I'm hopping on this train.